I'm about to watch this for the first time ever TV. What should I expect?

I'm about to watch this for the first time ever TV. What should I expect?

From what I can tell this movie is citizen Kane so if I were you I would expect that

IT WAS HIS SLED. ROSEBUD IS HIS SLED.
There, I just saved you two boobless hours

a classic piece of American cinema

It's The Room of good movies.

Pterodactyls

The movie sucks. It's two hours of boring stupid shit just to make the point that the best time in your life is childhood.

This.

A good fucking film.

Pure kino.

If you're a pleb you won't enjoy it. You need to have some cinema culture and shit.

Pure, unfiltered horror.

Most perfect movie ever made that will never be surpassed in a billion years. It basically created cinema.

Many films made after it were better, but it's still a good fucking film.

overrated shit

What did Welles mean by this?

Welles is a pretty shit director. Not only did he do nothing new, most of his filmography is complete shit that just gets worse as it goes on. Citizen Kane is alright but nothing special unless it's the first film you've ever seen. Nonlinear story structure was already done in DW Griffith's Intolerance, shadows and low angles in sound already done in John Ford's Arrowsmith, invisible cuts and whippans in DW Griffith's Abraham Lincoln, deep focus in William Wyler's stuff as well as Jean Renoir's, and Citizen Kane's script is literally Power and the Glory which Preston Sturges wrote. Power and the Glory honestly looks a lot like Kane visually and was directed by William K Howard, who is a far better director than Welles could ever hope to be. But really what makes Welles shit is he lacks any subtlety whatsoever. He makes use of long takes and multiple events happening in the frame well, but his mise en scene is turned up to 11. A lot of his shots look like they were done by a film school freshman shouting for attention (which he kind of was since he was schooled on film history before directing Kane). Really, he's just a name easily impressed plebs that don't know their history lap up. If you actually think anything directed by Orson Welles is good after seeing anything prior by superior directors, your taste is highly questionable and ought to be checked for early signs of down syndrome.

Average movie. Only real value it has today is for people who are interested in film making, as it had some techniques that were innovative at its time. Other that that, the plot is pretty dull.

It's a special effects movie for movie nerds. It's full of optical tricks that aren't obvious unless you know something about filmmaking.

The 12fps pterodactyls however are very obvious. I've still never seen a good explanation for why they were added. The ultra-low framerate makes them immediately stand out as animation.

Who did theatrical spotlight style crossfades before Welles? What previous deep focus work composited multiple shots together for even more depth of field?

Discard the postmodern detritus from your mind, stale memes, irony, self consciousness and just try to enjoy the film. Feel, its the only thing this worthless cunt life is good for. Ir you could just refresh this board drip dripity drip of dopamine, regrets, its never too late to change regret nothing

Could you present screens of the shot techniques you are talking about? I am a pleb and not a native speaker.

Cross fade with background lights fading at the same time for the background fades faster than the foreground.

Two shots composited together for extreme deep focus.

Another shot like this.

Hey thank you for actually bothering! Were these shots really pioneered by Welles?

I don't know. I can't think of any earlier examples.

>film student fucks around with various techniques
>shit plot
>shit dialogue
>shit acting
>was trash when released
>hailed as greatest film ever 20+years after release
literally red.dit the film project

kys pleb

Ok, but what purpose does it have? Is it supposed to make me like the movie better? Does it make me care more about the plot and characters?

>what purpose does it have?
It's lets you see the pills and the people entering the room at the same time, without needing a separate closeup. It makes it easier to see where everything is.

A bunch of capeshit fans to tell you that Citizen Kane is a boring movie.

A movie that seems average today because thousands of movies have ripped it off since then.

it was to wake up the audience

It worked, it's basically all I remember of that shitty movie.

More like Citizen BANE

It’s a mediocre film people pretend to like because their film teacher told them to.