Judge Dredd Questions

So I bought a full run of the Eagle Judge Dredd comics, and got a couple of questions:

1. Did the Judge Cal arc ever come up in the Democracy arc as WHY the Democracy movement hated the Judges/felt they needed to go? The entire Cal storyline seems like it would be the perfect justification for WHY the Judges had to go. Or did Wagner just pretended the entire "Day the Law Died" arc never happened when he wrote the Democracy arc in the late 80s?

2. Did Ralph Bryce (the kid who impersonated a Judge and then got expelled from the Academy for sneaking out to fight crime) ever show up again? Did Judge Dredd really, as Walter the Wobat said, visit him every week for father/son shit? Or did Walter make that shit up to make Dredd look like less of a bastard?

3. Towards the end of the Eagle reprints, they introduced a cabal of criminal masterminds who "got together every month to plot the perfect crime". The final issue ends with the zinger of the cabal claiming they were going to go after Dredd for interfering in their schemes. Did they ever do so?

4. Did they ever reveal where Psi-Judge Anderson was during the Apocalypse War? She doesn't appear at all until the final chapters.

5. Was the young psychic introduced in the Cursed Earth story, who saves Dredd from a band of mutants (and who's mother states his father was a Judge "from before the Atomic War") part of the group of mutants Judge Dredd met that turned out to be his relatives, who ultimately led Dredd to fight for mutant rights?

6. I read somewhere that 2000AD did a full Dredd issue of the magazine, to wrap up the Jugde Child Quest storyline the same year when the big disaster that was originally predicted, was supposed to happen in terms of the passing of comic book/real time. What exactly was the huge fucking disaster that everyone was worried about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QxHkLdQy5f0
youtube.com/watch?v=9rVFi6qkPHE
youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>2. Did Ralph Bryce (the kid who impersonated a Judge and then got expelled from the Academy for sneaking out to fight crime) ever show up again? Did Judge Dredd really, as Walter the Wobat said, visit him every week for father/son shit? Or did Walter make that shit up to make Dredd look like less of a bastard?
I am not sure if ought to answer this one for you user. Yes. He became a serial judge impersonator and was later shot dead by Dredd after going on a killing spree. Dredd stopped visiting him as a kid once he became difficult.

1. Wagner basically ignored the Judge Cal storyline for the "Democracy" saga. For reasons you mentioned, as far as it contradicting the plot he wanted to tell.

2. No clue if the Ralph/Dredd playdates actually happened. Bit I do recall Dredd ended up having to kill Ralph in the end, because Ralph refused to stop cosplaying as a Judge.

3. I think that was one of the dropped plotlines when Dredd started being retooled as a super series strip.

4. No. But they did use her ongoing strip to bring Orlock back and start up the running storyline of Mega City 1 being attacked by East Meg survivors.

5. No clue

6. IIRC they brought back the Child Judge one last time, with the whole prediction ultimately playing out that they had to make the Child Judge Chief Judge or else he would kill everyone. A sort of catch 22 scenario where everyone was fucked unless you killed the Child Judge.

bump in the hope of Dredd discussion

I'm really enjoying the new Deadworld thing and I want to talk about it.

Can someone storytime the Orlock/Anderson stuff?

1) Nope. Remember that almost ten years passed between Day and the Democracy storylines. And 'sides, even without Cal the judges are still incredibly abusive and oppressive.

3) Nope. Far as we know they're still rotting in an iso-cube, if they haven't died already. That said, the Hunters' Club did make a comeback in the early 90s when Ennis took over the strip.

4) Nyet.

5) Nah.

6) Yes! "In The Year 2120". Wanna read it?

Sure! Post away!!!

For the record, this story happened after Destiny's Angels and City of the Damned, where Dredd killed the Judge Child twice. So in theory, by now, that particular timeline had been erased.

But some evils never die...

If no-one else does it, I'll post the first Anderson/Orlok story too.

>Social Worker
Beautiful.

Dammit, she missed the best part! Vampire Hershey!

Also, damn if this guide don't look like DeMarco.

I'd rather you post the one where Orlock/Anderson mind meld. Childhood End IIRC; I remember reading about that one from a Dredd blog where supposedly it revealed Orlock's origin and how he and Anderson turn out to have a lot in common with regards how their respective Judge Caste seduced them into becoming Judges via playing on their weaknesses and need for love/abusive childhoods.

Alright then! Childhood's End it is!

DROOOOO-OOOOOOOOK

>YES YOU ARE DROKKED
>STOMM OUTTA LUCK

Ok, so maybe you died, but you died hearing Dredd say he's sorry. That's gotta be worth something.

15 years in the academy didn't prepare Dredd for Anderson's particular brand of "training exercise."

Well, uh... sure, if you say so, Cass.

Before you ask, no, the scar never appeared again far as I can remember.
Anyway, I'm gonna go get some soup and come back in a sec with Judge Anderson: Childhood's End! Or "How I Learned To Stop Caring And Get The Fuck Out".

Thanks Judge user

Wasn't Anderson still encased in a boing-bubble with Judge Death's spirit-essence inside her during the events of The Apocalypse War? Or was she (and Death) released before this, it's a long-arse time since I've read all that stuff so I'm probably wrong.

Alright, water's boiling and soup's cooking so let's get this show on the road! Written by Alan Grant and drawn by Kev Walker, this is "Childhood's End"!

The latter. Judge Death Lives happened riiight before Apocalypse War. Lucky for Dredd and Mega-City One.

What year is this comic from? It's post-2000, right? I've never seen this Bisley-influenced linework style from Jason Brashill before, I've just seen his painted, Mode 2-influenced stuff before. In fact Brashill was a graffiti artist himself, for a time.

Bit of background: Anderson's had a rough couple of years. Her best friend, Empath Corey, committed suicide. Her resolve has been shaken by a number of cases. And she sorta kinda found religion in the mind of a preacher who believed, with the kind of blissfully pure belief that's exceedingly rare in Mega-City One, that God is real and Jesus is his son. So she's going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment.

As for Orlok, whose presence in this story is supposed to be a mystery, he's also had a bit of a rough patch after his last scheme to destroy Mega-City One from within went tits up thanks to Anderson, and the government in exile of East-Meg One was forced to declare him an enemy of the state rather than risk Big Meg retaliation.

So in a nutshell, this is the story of two people going through some bad times who go on a holiday to Mars. And then stomm gets real.

youtube.com/watch?v=QxHkLdQy5f0

She's a big gal, our Cass.

>This thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=9rVFi6qkPHE

Man, I love Mars. I really hope this whole Mars colony thing happens in my lifetime. Or at the very least a landing. We gotta get our asses to Mars.

>5. Was the young psychic introduced in the Cursed Earth story, who saves Dredd from a band of mutants (and who's mother states his father was a Judge "from before the Atomic War") part of the group of mutants Judge Dredd met that turned out to be his relatives, who ultimately led Dredd to fight for mutant rights?

Novar? He was not no, funnily enough i recently met Mills at a signing and i asked if Novar was ever set to or had shown up again. His response was, he had forgotten about him completely.

Hah! Talk about going straight to the source!

oh shit, not read childhood's end in ages.

Ouch.

HEEERE'S ORLY!

shit rip Sting

So, uh... anyone seen Arrival?

last Saturday actually, thought it was good but didnt live up to the hype.

Nocturnal Animals is still Amy Adams best kino of 2016

wait so are these guys the cannon origin for life in the dredd timeline?

Quick question: was one of the things that made Anderson basically having such a shitty time, around this time, her finding out what a shitbag Chief Judge Silver was? As well as her turning against Dredd over what he did to the Democracy movement during the Democracy Now arc?

I know Silver and Anderson were close, so can I assume Anderson naturally freaked the fuck out over what Silver ordered Dredd do?

I don't think Anderson really would have had a cow over Silver breaking the law to fuck over the anti-Judge movement.

Anderson was a huge supporter of Silver, going so far as to go along with Silver ordering her to kill a East Meg psi who was working with Orlock, without a trial....

Oh boy, here we gooo...

Curiously enough, Anderson never said much about the whole democracy thing. Grant and Wagner's storylines were very well-divided, so for instance, Dredd never mentioned Anderson beating Satan on his strip. The wall was strong.

I'm confused here; what did the Judges do to her when she was caught reading a banned book that rejected the Judge system?

Is she talking about how no one seemed to punish her for being a non-hard ass/flippant type? Is that Grant basically explaining away why Anderson gets to behave like a human being in terms of showing emotion? IE it's a bribe that the Judges offer telepaths they catch breaking the rules of conduct Judges get to follow, where they can show emotion and empathy so long as they toe the party line?

It could be that she's talking about the time before she was a judge. She got caught reading the book, Justice Dept. realized just how strong of a psi she was, and decided to try and make a judge out of her, much like how Beeny became one. Or it could be that she read it when she was already a judge and a similar thing happened.
In a nutshell, psis are too valuable a resource to dispose of like you would a regular judge, which probably also explains how Corey got to keep her job when she couldn't stop crying every single time they called her in.

And now...
youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4