JSA Storytime: Manhunter

Good evening owls,

second reprieve

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dD1CoTIpEoE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This art change is a bit of cognitive dissonance given what we were talking about last night

Evening Op.

recaps done

These threads always have great discussions.

Gaydos is one of those artists that I just can't get into.

It's an island in an ocean of shitposting.

The Secret Six storytime going on makes me sad

Well Simone ever be that good again?

HI user

The discussions are what keep me running comics, NGL

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't think it doesn't fit? It's not as good as what we had. Zircher is dying to draw this run.

Hello, Storyteller.

Since you lot are so insistent that recommendations are a good thing, I'm going to rec something to you, Storyteller.

You like crazy complex storylines with kinda asshole protagonists, right? Play Drakengard 3. Or maybe just watch a walkthrough since the game play is kinda mediocre, honestly.

Manhunter on HBO would be fucking lit

Do we have a release date for Snagglepuss yet?

is it for PC? because I'm not dropping for a PS4 or a Switch yet despite wanting to play Zelda more than life itself

I think it was some time in fall

I pitched Flintstones to someone today and their eyes bugged out and I think they may go get it

Next solicit or two will probably have it.

It does fit the book that is true.

Did anyone else watch this when it ran and think "how the fuck did this get on TV?"

youtube.com/watch?v=dD1CoTIpEoE

I got to two of my friends to pick up Flintstones a while ago when they asked for comic recs on facebook.

Also, well, Andrekyo is a far better and more dynamic writer than Bendis

That one Russel interview said September, I think

hah this isn't topical

not at all

:(

It's a shame his Batwoman was so awful

I wanna know what went down behind the scenes for it to turn out like that

It brought home to me how close Marguerite Bennett is (or tries to be) to Simone.

Hey user.

Dear god is Ressurexion ever crapping out a disgusting amount of variant covers. Marvel will never learn.

I feel like even great artists can't elevate Bendis' scripts.

I wasn't in last thread but I saw you guys bitching out Drakengard and I was like MOTHERFUCKER. The new Nier is fucking lit too.

I remember late Bendis Avengers wherein he utterly wasted Walt Simonson's talents

They aren't even good variant covers. I don't think any of the titles are creating much buzz or excitement, either. The only one I am somewhat curious about is Generation X.

I have heard the praises of Nier sung at length

God damn it, I know I compared this series to Alias, BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO USE THE SHITTY ARTIST!

>is it for PC? because I'm not dropping for a PS4 or a Switch yet despite wanting to play Zelda more than life itself
PS3 exclusive.

I really think you will like the main character Zero, cause she fits a lot of the bullet points that you seem to like in female protagonists.

Also, price waiting is something I very much understand. Folks who like to game ain't made of money.

Hey now, the old NieR was legit great, too. Though I think the soundtrack sold more than the actual game.

The user in previous threads who talked about how Alias could have been as good as this was spot on.

Yeah reading some of Simone's older stuff makes me realize how closely Bennett tries to emulate her.
What's annoying is Bennett has some neat ideas but she's either too self indulgent or just not good enough at different voices to be really good.
Because I wouldn't mind a well written lesbian insect book in the victorian age, but it's not good at all. lol

LOL

;___;

Drakengard was a PS3 game, OP.

IIRC, Andreyko said this whole arc came out of him reading a series of news articles about it. Like this was a story he very much felt he had to do.

I'll be continuing that either tomorrow or Monday (depending when our OP for the evening is not around).

In other adventures of "look what I found when re-reading the series" I present that time that Wonder Woman had a bit of an accident

yeah, I'm not buying an older console either

is the PS4 able to handle stuff/are they porting it?

Arn is rough but not a bad guy.

I think I was less disappointed purely because it was well within my expectations. There's nothing to Generations that is going to make me buy it.

Also last thread someone (I think OP) mentioned how in terms of fanfic the Bat-family are kind of self-sustaining independently of any outside media and I was thinking about that with regards to the X-Men. Do they get the same thing? Why/why not?

Is there any artist that isn't wasted on Bendis? Albeit I imagine that working with him is comfy for the artists what with all those reused panel or static panel pages. Not so comfy for the letterers, though.

That face in the bottom left is right out of Alias, but with even worse colouring

I really, really would have read the abortion clinics arc too, though, goddammit

There was a good call-out of that a while back with some of his X-Men pages. "Bendis letterers ought to be paid extra"

Gaydos isn't. Those two deserve each other.

The X-Men used to have a very steady 616-verse fic writing fandom back in the early 2000s but nowadays it's almost all glurgy movieverse garbage, especially for Charles and Magneto.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hmmmmm. There's a decent amount of X-movieverse fic (actually, large amounts, and weird Magneto fans accordingly to put it mildly), but there's nothing quite like the Batfanon. It's so odd because it's based on the niche format--comics--but it's pretty huge, maybe even dominant.

I think the Claremont heyday was too long ago and no one managed to get the critical mass to kick it off.

Consoles don't really do backwards compatibility anymore.

>Gaydos

LET THE TRACING BEGIN!

Goodbye, identifiably Mark Shaw Mark Shaw.

let's just say that the border is complicated

There was a fair amount of fic for Morrison's New X-Men run back on LJ but the last decade has not been kind to the X-Men in any way.

WTF why not

:(

do they do ports?

Speaking of gifts kinda wanted to get you these storyteller

knightmodels-store.com/epages/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b/Products/35DC123

knightmodels-store.com/epages/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b/Products/35DC115

They are very tiny tho

>in terms of fanfic the Bat-family are kind of self-sustaining independently of any outside media
This is the weirdest fucking thing.
Like I get there are things in the comics or other media canon that people may not like, but some of those things are basically nothing like any canon. Like they just make shit up and it gets spread throughout more of the fandom and others pick it up, and it's all so fascinating.

>Atomic Skull

Geeze, how many of this guy are there?
Is this the one that worships the bomb, from Captain Atom?

Is this Feminist Jason Todd again?

damn, girl!

those are some fucking wings, there

I've toyed with trying to figure out the History of Batfanon, but so much of it is lost to the sands of internet time. I *know* a lot of it goes back to Girl-Wonder.com and their Steph fandom.

And then it gets to the point where when something happens in canon, they end up pointing to their fanon and get mad because the writer isn't reading their thoughts or fanfiction.

Thank you

I think some of the Uncharted games got them. Not sure what else. Nintendo sometimes does.

Jason Todd has some weird ass stans.

Tfw not off work until 8:30

That was sort of the dressed-up angle of the article last thread, yeah. Trying to explain HydraCap as a rule rather than a singular phenomenon.

Wait a second, was this around (timeline-wise) that she broke into mexico and fucked up a bunch of dudes in Birds of Prey? Wait, maybe that was after, because Spy Smasher was her superior

hmmmm, that script

Feminist Jason Todd is the one that just makes me blink slowly

They often put up older games for download in their e-stores. Don't know about Nier, though.

The only TV Funhouse I ever managed to get was the SNL stuff.

Well, we're Zemo stans. user storytiming Secret Six also had me thinking of that throwaway line Catman gives about abusing women and what you'd get for that today.

It fits with fandom having gotten obssessed with their faves being the most morally righteous, progressive and purest of them all. You can see similiar shit in the Steve Rogers fandom (although it makes a bit more sense with him).

If I were going to post a reply to that post--and I might yet IDK--I'd focus in on "you need to detach your argument from the Stucky fandom and make a more general case or it's nothing other than 'this story doesn't do what I want'". Author had some tweets yesterday that, too, I get what she wants, and yet it reeks of "Why can't this character go into the box *I* like?"

this is, somehow, the SNL stuff getting an entire season, and doing things with it like "Triumph meets Robert Goulet in Atlantic City"

I continue to be completely disappointed by the extent to which time apparently stopped progressing in the mid 200Xs.

Those girls who like bad boys, man
Don't trust them

My favorite is when they try to excuse the killing lol

Reminds me how wasted new 52 Lobo was
They made him a pretty boy and then didn't try to make him a parody of the kind of anti hero of today where shit like Jason Todd's fandom happens

There is a lot of shit even in more recent comics from before the 2010s that make me wonder how much of a shitstorm it would cause now.

I actually don't know anything about the terrain around El Paso other than 'rough', but the lower Valley is brutal, miserable, difficult country to try to cross.

It definitely read more for people already deep into fandom than those outside it (which it probably was) but that also meant it was pretty sloppy on building its points and making them cleanly.

BTW Trinity sucked

Yeah looking for Xmen fic was also a lot of crawling thru Magneto/Xavier shit

Man you've got me imagining Bendis wasting Tom Orzechowski now. It's sad

Yeah Kate, just go out of the United States and you'll find there's fucking nobody.

Is that the series in which Busiek tried to write a sequel to JLA/Avengers?

I think he might be using the same reference model for Kate and Jones.

>Kate is somehow transferred to non-NYC Marvel and is perfectly happy
>the public fucking love her and everything

Shame 52 is the only truly good weekly.

It's nothing other than shitty Erik/Charles coffeeshop AUs

One thing I have noticed with the HydraCap story in particular is how most crit of it is about it's mere existence being somehow immoral for not doing what the person criticizing wants out of a Cap book. Which galls me because there is actually plenty to criticize about the actual execution. 'You are hurting me personally because this story is upsetting me by being dark' is not a failing of the story or a valid arguement.

Feminist Jason Todd among other things

the fan portrayals of Tim that tend to vary between "awkward virgin" and "ravenously slutty sex god who likes to crossdress" are my favorite Batfanon thing

I never gave a thought for Magneto/Xavier until DoFP.

Weeklies are inherently a fool's errand

Because that would actually be SMART.

Allow me to blog for a moment, of you will. I have a GameCube, with the Gameboy Player extension (it's a solid hunk of plastic and metal that you plug into the bottom of the GameCube, and it lets you play every Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance game). I got the Wii later, which plays all GameCube games. If I didn't have the Player, I would've had no reason to keep the GameCube at that point. Then I got a Wii U, which plays all Wii games, but not GameCube, so now I HAVE to keep the GameCube if I want to play Eternal Darkness or something else on that.

PlayStation used to do that too, with one version of the PS3 able to play all PlayStation games, but now physical hardware restrictions prevent it, or so I'm told.

Nowadays, game companies just re-sell you digital re-released versions of the games, rather than let you just place in the game you already physically own, which is a massive bummer for hoarders like me.

Okay, blog over, let's talk about comics and weird fancanons.

Bendis fills the page like it was still the Bronze age, but with none of the narrative transferred into the text like it was then. It's just pages and pages of worthless blather.

You also cannot IMO do 'This is ruining this character's legacy' with 'None of the similar or contradictory moments from this character's legacy count'

My favorite is when they basically make him that seme stereotype where he rapes Dick or Tim but it's okay because that's how yaoi works

I finally got some people elsewhere to talk about what they disliked about the pacing, the way it dances around Steve doing evil shit and it's backing away, etc. IT was refreshing.

And an expensive one. I don't even consider them.

Magneto/Xavier was always a big fic fandom but the fic turned to shit once TFC got released.

At the risk of starting shit, where exactly does the idea of Jason being a feminist come from?

I don't think being friends with an Amazon necessarily counts as feminism.

now with page

Panels cherry picked from over the years and Judd Winick mostly

Like some panel from B&R where he reads Pride and Prejudice in prison is a popular one

As best I've been able to tell, pre-Crisis he's reading what was it, Jane Eyre, at one point? And he threatens a rapist?

You also can't play the 'having Steve brainwashed into following nazis is disrespectful towards his creators' card when those had him mindcontrolled into literally heil'ing Hitler in a couple of stories.