Is Grant Morrison the best comics writer out there?

Is Grant Morrison the best comics writer out there?

>tfw there will never be another generation of writers like Morrison/Miller/Moore

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=egG7fiE89IU
youtube.com/watch?v=kvw1iENsPgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Morrison is shit comments in 3...2...1....

There will be never the golden trio Morrison/Millar/Waid again.

Millar is a sellout and Morrison hates him now, Waid died and now a Skrull is writing using his name. Morrison is good as always, but is old and don't want to write book after book.

>yfw Morrison was once in a Norwegian rock band

>>tfw there will never be another generation of writers like Morrison/Miller/Moore
Nah we've got some great people coming up like Yang, Priest and whoever could be the new Moore.

>Coming up like Priest

Priest isn't exactly a new writer, user.

His fame or reputation is picking up and reaching the high levels though. Some people become the big names early some later.

I like Ewing and King.

Ewing has yet to reach the lowest points of Morrison/Moore/Miller.

Personally I don't think so. He has some great ideas and overall I like him a lot but for a lot of his works the first read always feels really rushed and a bit hard to follow.

Nah come the fuck on m8 Loki was great.

All he's writing is Deathstroke. More than likely after his run is over he'll fade back into obscurity until something is offered to him that peaks his interest and he writes another GOAT run.

>Is Grant Morrison the best comics writer out there?
No. He's got a lot of great ideas but he stumbles just as much as he succeed. That said, even a mediocre book by Morrison is still usually entertaining on concept alone.

Well that's what rising means. He hasn't reached it yet. If he does what you say then yeah he won't, but he has potential to if he doesn't stop after Deathstroke and gets the momentum going.

Given time, I think Ewing could deliver something really great via The Ultimates. Though, that's making an awful lot of assumptions.

Best? No,. And its subjective anyways.... He's definetly got the crown for most out-there whackadoo *maybe all my writing was done while on acid* stuff, though.

people are too obsessed with "best of's" and top 10 lists and shit like that

It's a shame CoC git cancelled, it seemed he had a real great plan for an epic in three parts (now condensed to two) that will eventually lead to Eternity War.

The problem with Eternity War is editorial is going to mandate so much bullshit that we won't get what it's supposed to be. Eternity War will be Axis 2.0. There'll be something good and full of potential there, but it'll be buried under so much mandates and editorial fuckery that it won't really matter and then Ewing will get pissed and leave Marvel like Remender did.

That is, of course, assuming they even let Ewing write the damn thing and not just hand it over to Bendis.

>never be another generation of writers like Morrison/Miller/Moore
Why not? Before them I'm sure there were people complaining that there would "never be another generation of writers like Eisner/Kirby/O'Neil"

Maybe they have this planned as the next Secret Wars level event. I can't remember, how long did it take before we really knew something fucking huge was going on in Avengers and New Avengers? From what I remember it seemed like it could be it's own thing for a while. It even got roped into several crossovers.

So do I, but they aren't likely to become industry legends.

I almost stopped reading comics because of morrison.

Ill say it, i aint even scared. I hated animal man, i got 20 some issues into doom patrol and stopped reading comics for 6 months.
I talked myself into rereading hellboy and was able to pick some up again.
Call me bait, i dont give a shit

He's pretty good

IIRC, Infinity wasn't meant to be an event, just a crossover between the two books. I don't recall if it got pulled into Axis or Original Sin, though.

Why would you drop comics entirely because you didn't like one writer?

>I hated animal man,
yikes
Hate to see what you do like.

I don't know, if we get one or two more like Gerard Way, we could see some similar chemistry to that.

i was forcing myself to read it because i was told it was good. Had just done the same with animal man for same reason. I was super burnt out on the medium form doing so

Again, it was one writer.
Gotta wonder how old you were when this occurred, because this definitely sounds like the reaction of a teenager.

large variety of things, mentioned hellboy in the previous post.
i just dont enjoy the morrison work ive read

Waid used to be the guy you imagine being cucked by.

it was one writer but a shit ton of forced reading (i finished all of animal man, even after morrison quit)
think i was 22, 21 maybe

Okay, but what more specifically did you not like?
I'm not trying to say that you have shit taste, I'm just trying to understand what it is about a near universally celebrated story that turns you away so hard.

>tfw there will never be another generation of writers like Morrison/Miller/Moore
And me? Just wait 4 or 5 years and you will see.

good lord my memory is dog shit, ive read too much and hit my head too many times since then.
i dont go out of my way to remember every detail of why I dont like something like most of Sup Forums.
I barely remember why I enjoy the things i do like. Thats what makes comics great for me. I remember that i do enjoy them and then i go back and read them because i forgot the story

for certain i wasnt into the end of morrison run where he shows up.

Original Sin was used to have Steve find out about his erased memories. While Axis didn't have an official tie-in(unless you want to count Avengers World), the 8 Months Later stuff teased where the event was going by showing stuff like Superior Iron Man.

How long will he be around, though?

He's doing better than I ever would have expected on Doom Patrol and his Umbrella Academy (which I read after trying his Doom Patrol) is great, but every time I try to bring up his comics to recommend them people just talk about how they want more music from him.

Moore is drastically better than Morrison and Miller TBQH senpai.

>Morrison/Gaiman/Moore
FTFY

He's been wanting to write comics professionally since he was a teenager, and now he's gotten his break getting to follow his idol and run his own silver age-esque sandbox.
I think he'll stick around for a while.

My favorite is still probably Ware or Jaime Hernandez.

Really? I mean, I knew Morrison has been in music videos in general.
youtube.com/watch?v=egG7fiE89IU
youtube.com/watch?v=kvw1iENsPgc
Can't believe the bald guy in videos from the last MCR album were him.

i like his writing but i don't like the artists he works with.

Hey fair enough man. If you don't like something you don't like something. While I enjoyed the animal man run, I do get where you are coming from. I gave Flex Mentallo a try, mostly on Sup Forums reccomendation. It was mostly that one page that gets posted from it right at the end that made me want to read it. And having read it, I was left a little... Meh? I guess. I really liked a lot of the imagery, and I got the theming of Silverage Optimism and Believing yourself can beat realism and cynicism, as Flex Mentallo travels to the center of a dying musicians brain as the journey parallels the changes in trends of super hero comics, it just felt incomprehensible basically.

>it just felt incomprehensible basically
As the story progressed, you could keep up with the flow of the plot, right? Like one scene becoming the next.
The next part is what the book is. You have to think like Morrison. It's not just a comic, it's a vitamin booster of hope to fight off cynicism an depression.
When reading post-Doom Patrol Morrison, you have to think on the metaphorical and metaphysical levels as well.

Morrison wants to play in new sandboxes, that makes perfect sense. Just because he's not working on books that are in the same vein as what he's done in the past doesn't mean he's sitting at home watching paint dry.

Miller probably wants to taken seriously which is why he tries to write something like Huck, which isn't a movie pitch spread out over 5 issues, co-sold to pretty much any top talent artist because royalties.

Because Waid was writing everything, like he himself wrote in an introduction for Kirkman. That's a cycle sort of position to find themselves in - I mean, who today is a writer that other writers imagine are keeping them from paychecks?

no i getcha. And yeah I definitely got the plot. I definitely preferred the "Animal Man" storyline, I had fun reading the various Multiversity stories, Superman in the Third Dimension, the story time of that one lost issue of Miracle Man (i think), and the Santa Claus origin story (though I still need to finish that one). I got the plot and story of the book, I'm just saying reading Flex Mentallo gave me a good idea as to why people might not like Morrison.

I honestly need to give more of his stuff a complete read. All Star Superman, Doom Patrol, and what else have you. I recently got his comics history/autobiography Supergods (no relation to Warren Ellis), and giving it a read through.

>Is Grant Morrison the best comics writer out there?
Sure
But there's a VERY low bar when it comes to comic writing

>Morrison/Miller/Moore
>implying that's the same generation
Just because we was writing some stuff at the same time doesn't mean Morrison was part of the Miller/Moore 80s dominance.

Grant Morrison IS Comics. While Warren Ellis may be my favorite comic book writer, Grant Morrison is the best comic book writer, bar none.

Pic is related

Yang is a great cartoonist, but his new-superman and other cape stuff is leagues below his indie works. His cape writing is nowhere near Morrison.

Morrison is given the most praise by people who have a low opinion of comics.

For example, .

Or people who don't know what comics are.

For example, .

Best cape writer, yes, and by some distance. But I won't call him the best comic writer.

Morrison is good but only newfags to the medium would see him as "the best".

I assure, even himself doesn't think of his work as among the best in the medium.

Old claremont was better. Modern claremont still SOMETIMES had the spark to give him a run for his money.

Spurrier is a better character writer
Ellis is what morrison would be if he didnt have to rely on WEIRD
I dont like Millar but the dude shits better and more OC than morrison

If you read Morrison enough, youll notice he reuses the same tropes and concepts all over, which i think is a problem.

>Kekwing
You know that tumblr has a website right

There can't be for the same reason there can't really be a band that rivals the Beatles or the Beach Boys.

They did what they did at the right time and now you can either try to follow in their footsteps but just be a derivative without the same impact, or you can go in a totally different direction but still not have the same impact.

There have been plenty of greats since Moore and Morrison but none of them will ultimately stack up because they did it best first.

You need to read more than X-books. Claremont isn't even in the same level as Morrison, Moore or Gaiman.

>the best

BIGLY.

Simply tremendous.

And his talent is not merely big but it is beautiful, a beautiful thing to see, feel and be touched by.

Morrison isnt nearly on the same level as Moore or Gaiman

And you havent paid enough attention if you dont notice Morrison's Invisibles, DP, xmen, Seven Soldiers and even multiversity, are all extremely related thematically.

At least morrison did find his own voice in this past decade, which improved his material.

This. Comics is a medium bigger than capeshit. But he's the best capeshit writer alongside Alan Moore.

>>tfw there will never be another generation of writers like Morrison/Miller/Moore

Brian K. Vaughn and Tom King.

OP doesnt read anything outside big2, that should be obvious

Like that has anything to do with quality. It's ironic to use Multiversity or seven soldiers since it proves how he can tell different stories with the same themes.

But both of them are capeshit writer.

They're both authors who write both capeshit and stuff outside of capeshit, and when they write capeshit it's better than 99% of the stuff written by people who write capeshit only for a living. That's why I recommended them to OP since that's basically comparable to Moore/Morrison/Miller.

Its a problem when whenever he has tried to go outside his comfort zone, the results are are extremely mixed. From brilliant stiff (W3) to really bad (Joe the Barbarian and some of his later DC sans multiversity)

He can consistently tell one story well, and he tells just changing the context of it from IP to IP.

God no.

>JLA
>All Star Superman
Both are some of the best of the genre. 90% of Doom Patrol and Animal man is not even meta.
>He can consistently tell one story well, and he tells just changing the context of it from IP to IP.
Themes=/=stories. Seven soldiers and multiversity proves how varied his work can be, in spite of the themes used.

>Seven soldiers and multiversity proves how varied his work can be, in spite of the themes used.

Maybe to fanboys is proves its "varied".

To everybody else it proves he rather plays it safe on doing big events, because he couldnt carry a story otherwise. Proof: his wonder woman e1 ogn

You're not even offering any criticism. I don't know whether you've read either of those, but both contain individual small scale stories with the events you mentioned being separate bookends.

>Seven Soldiers
>Big Event

user pls

I've told you why i feel only people who hasnt read anything else have such big praise of morrison:

If you read his older stuff, its aping Moore and Gaiman. His marvel stuff is Claremont-lite

His unique, truly distinctive voice started during 2nd tenure at DC and it has produced his best material, but also his worst almost whenever he goes too far from his usual re-threads

I remember it being a big deal as it came out.

"Seven Soldiers" is very contained, the only big deal about it is being the first step to "Final Crisis" (namely the Mister Miracle mini).

>i feel only people who haven't read anything else have such big praise of morrison:
You cannot be more wrong than that, considering newfags and most hardcore capefags don't like Morrison for his non conventional story telling. While middle of the road writers like Claremont, Johns, Tomasi and Bendis get acclaimed by them for obvious reasons.

Don't most writers reuse their themes, though?

I mean you mention that Morrison isn't on the same level as Gaiman, which I think can be argued, but Gaiman reuses the fuck out of his tropes.

I'd put Mignola above him, but Grant's definitely up there.

And whats with most of the great writers who came out the 90's and last names beginning with M?

Last night i dreamed of doing sigil magic. Grant appeared because he noticed my shoddy spellwork and told me, he needed to train me, because interdimensional aliens want to conquer earth. He taught me how to channel meme energy from widely recognized sigils, like supermans shield.
The whole dream ended when he was trying to buy me time for a spirit bomb, but we both ended up getting killed.
Shit was weird. Most real dream i've had in a while.

I love hearing/reading what he has to say about comics and I usually like the concepts he introduces and changes he makes to the longer running series when he leaves them for the other writers to play around with. BUT at the same time I can't seem to enjoy most of his actual work, something about his actual writing style is so off putting for me, can't figure out what :(

Jupiter's Legacy and Starlight are both pretty great comics, not movies at all

>Being fucked by Bendis from one end and Johns from the other

...Considering the state of the industry the answer is probably 'yes'.

Yes, I could stop reading capeshit, but god damn it, I love the genre.

I'll never forgive for wasting Sean Murphy's art

Morrison, Moore, Miller, Millar.

M is the 13th letter of the alphabet.

13 X 4 = 52

Does this never end??

as much as I enjoy both of them they are not on Morrison's leevl, friend.
They wright good stories, while Morrison is a living story

Chrononauts, on the other hand...

maybe when you're a teenager that's yet to take any drugs

Why are you being such a judgemental prick? You obviously don't know the context of the pic related. You are the cancer killing Sup Forums. Go away

I suppose for every Reborn there is an Empress

No, bar the shit he wrote when he was doing hard drugs on the regular, all of his shit is borderline unreadable.

>Asking this question knowing literally anyone who dares to say no will be met with cries of "um you just don't GET his work lmao go back to reading archie and try again when you've had mescaline for breakfast and opened your third eye"

I've only read his X-Men and JLA stuff. What should I read from him?

18 Days is very underrated.