20 years later

>20 years later
>still the best video game movie made
How did Mortal Kombat do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_(film)
youtube.com/watch?v=8U4pBTCem3E
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
youtube.com/watch?v=z1WHKM6WWjA
youtube.com/watch?v=lVoEhO8stu0
youtube.com/watch?v=X1q3058TTqI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get over here!

TEST

There was a field of trees all in rows that looked like the scene in Mortal Kombat where Scorpion first appears.

My friends and I would do MK fight reenactments there back in the day.

Was fun.

because of the ambiguity of story elements from the source material, they just kind of had free reign to do whatever they wanted, narrative-wise.
also they showed off some early assets to kids in arcades and they threw a shitfit over the lack of Kano's cyborg face, so they put it in the movie.

Took the source material seriously, elaborated on it, kept what made the games popular.

Best cinema sins video

I prefer Warcraft.

Because it had twade meenustuh

*blocks your path*

I like the Disney channel movie where they try to portray him as a Hawaiian desu

>cool sets
>vivid lighting
>physical effects
>well choreographed fight scenes that didn't rely on shaky cam or shit editing

it's pretty simple, yet Hollywood keep fucking it up.

>cinema sins

Gross.

>they threw a shitfit over the lack of Kano's cyborg face, so they put it in the movie.
I heard they also went apeshit over the decision to replace Scorpion's spear with telekinesis. Really controversial at the time.

By casting Bridgette Wilson in her prime and having her get tied up.

Pokemon the First movie
Resident Evil
Warcraft

>grimdark reboot: the movie

Because Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius.

JOHNNY TSUNAMI

Lol

>those were $500 raybans you piece of shit

is this clayface from the next batman movie?

BEND YOUR KNEES! USE YOUR ARMS!

>Implying it's not Street Fighter

>pictured: characters from the television series ReBoot in order of worst to best chins. (Left to right)

>a correct answer on Sup Forums

We need an R-rated reboot!!!FACT!!!

>Resident Evil
The first one was like if you skipped straight to ending of the first one, then pretend on the second playthrough you don't know what's wrong with the Mansion.
They should have went with the George Romero script.
youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0
The second one was better.

>Ryu is not the main
only bad thing.

>mfw ming na still does all the kung fu shit at 54 on agents of shield

that's why he's called megabite

I like to believe Scorpion had this on him and was secretly a huge Cage fan

This looks way better than any modern CGI, what the fuck

I unironically want a Halo movie to be made. But I know it never will.

That's canon. The novelization explains the Shirai Ryu had movie night every week just to watch his movies. Sub-Zero disagreed and it was why Shang Tsung said there were the bitterest of enemies in the movie.

It will.

It'll be shit though.

Silent Hill and Animal Crossing get my votes.

there's an animal crossing movie?

> Use that which brings life
What did she mean by this mystery?

>How did Mortal Kombat do it?
by being funny...

>Silent Hill
This the Silent Hill movie is the only video game movie that was at least decent

because of the mystical east meme.

not even close

I thought this had strong Halo vibes

The played straight courage, honor, sacrifice, bloody street by street warfare against ayyliens who have superior technology but are complete tactical retards

HEYYY PONOO!

> When they beat a group of thugs and Raiden is all
> and what will you do about...them
> and like 50 guys with spears and shit and greased up muscles are like "HUAH!"
Kino

> this is the part where you fall down
> give me a break Sonya
> *snaps his neck* okay
Quip-kano

>best video game movie made
>Mortal Kombat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_(film)

Does he also have 4 dicks

There's already a Halo movie. Not too bad really, but too short and could have been better, "Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn"

For your retardation let's assume arms and hands =dicks, you have 2 of those, so why would you say does he have 2 dicks?

Why doesn't he have a second row of pecs? Is he supposed to move his arms with his abs?

wow sir, well said

>he didnt watch the Misadventures of Samsung and Crunchy

youtube.com/watch?v=8U4pBTCem3E

>Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn
>Halo 4
>anything past reach
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88

You guys will praise this junk but shit all over Star Wars...unbelievable.

because they stayed true to original, not just in content but feel as well. All other vidya movies made compromises for wider audiences or were made by people who had 0 knowledge of source

(You)

Mk 2 is worth watchi g for the blonde chick running around without a bra the whole time in a white tank top.

no

Le space samari and pew pew

even a fart is better than the entire star crap saga

>mfw realize if you just remove the upper arms and leave the head goro looks like danny devito & arnuld's love child

one is popular idiot. Dont you realize its cool to hate popular things? If star wars was some niche underground things on adult swim with a bit more irony we'd probably have 4 threads about it

>shit taste in movies
>shit taste in women

Wtf do arms have to do with dicks?

>final boss fight
>theme song starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=z1WHKM6WWjA

YOUR MIGHT
(52 minutes and nobody has posting this yet? sad!)

I thought he was testing something

shouldn't it be double pecs not double abs, how he move those bottom arms

>this doesn't play during every in game boss fight
Midway have no idea what they're doing

>Your soul is MINE

I remember enjoying this movie just because Dexter was in it

you’re blinded by nostalgia if you think this movie is anything more than badly choreographed fight scenes and cheesey dialouge. maybe if you’re a faggot you can find some shallow ironic appreciation for this garbage.

>and your other 500$ sunglasses

If we're talking best game adaptions, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is probably the most faithful. It even has puzzles as part of the plot. Really comfy film.

There are many factors that contribute to this.

1) They had nothing to lose. The video game was insanely popular at the time, most notably because parents were concerned about the blood and violence, thus making the game more taboo and thus more desirable by youngsters. To make a movie based on the game was win-win, no matter the quality level. Every kid would see it, and even if it was terrible, they'd still like it anyway.

2) We're still in the age of practical effects. Thus Goro looks wonderful nearly all the time, Kano's eye looks great, especially in the shot when he's in the cabin and all you see is the red eye glaring out. Unfortunately, the things that age this movie terribly are the computer generated effects (Reptile being the most obvious), but these can be forgiven.

3) The fight scenes are well choreographed, at a time when western filmmaking had just had the Jackie Chan revolution. The reason Jackie's movies work so well is that cameras are relatively static, allowing the audience to actually see what is going on and why a stunt or move is so fantastic. This expectation carried over into this film, which is why the fight between Scorpion and Johnny Cage is easily one of my favorites in all genres (especially the repeated kicks to the kidneys that Cage endures lying on the bridge).

4) The aesthetic approach to the film was non-apologetic. There was no wink to the audience to say, 'yeah, this sucks, but go along with it anyway'. The material was treated as if it were real and serious. The only problem in the film in my view was Rayden; I'm not entirely sure if his character of easy dismissal is due to Christopher Lambert's acting choice or if it was actually written this way...but I think the character and the movie in general could have been stronger if Rayden was played serious and deadly. I haven't figured that out yet...

tbc. Hit limit.

>Hawaiian E. Honda
>Captain Noname
>Brown-haired Mexican Ken
>Small Balrog
>Brown shorts Zangief
>Small Irish T. Hawke
>Dominican Dee Jay
>Italian-Australian small shit Blanka
>Pupil filled, wrong tattoos Dhalsim
>Fucking dances with wolves Sagat
>Trail of tears 2: Vega Boogaloo
>NO HAIR NONMURICAN DUTCH JEW GUILE
>RED DRESS CHUN LI
>PANTS WEARING CAMMY
>NO RED HEADBAND WEARING, FUCKING CHINESE RYU

You, the person sitting behind the computer reading these words who posted what I'm replying to, I wish upon you, and all that share your sincere opinion, a fate worse than any that you could possibly imagine. I wish that every single person who even had a passing hand in creating this terrible, awful, existentially vile abomination meets with the worst possible fate that cannot properly be described within the 2500 word character limit of this message board. Grotesque horrors that break the mind and eldritch experiences inflicted upon the flesh, from which come beyond countless aeon and the reach of any mortal man.

That being said, Raul Julia was the best part of this movie and made it passable.

tl;dr Go fuck yourself if you're not talking about Gomez Addams.

cont.

5) The characters were written in terms of dialogue similar to characters from films by John Carpenter, which were again quite popular at the time. Big Trouble in Little China comes to mind; quips and humour based on societal expectations, which today of course is banned. This kind of humour, to some degree, was also Carpenteresque due to the self-depreciation exhibited in it. The anti-hero was a thing at this time, not as a serious anti-hero like we see today (shouldered with depression, anxiety, etc.) but as an antidote to the serious Schwarzeneggers and Stallones heroes who could do no wrong. The characters in Mortal Kombat were flawed, just enough that we weren't sure if they'd succeed or not.

6) The music was perfect for this kind of movie. Relentless videogame beats, but technoed just enough to seem higher in terms of production value.

7) Finally, they gave the intended audience exactly what they wanted. To see the characters they all love brought to life on the big screen. The story really doesn't matter to a fan of the videogame. They want to see the character they always play, the moves that character does, and the finishing moves that made the game famous. I remember the gasps in the audience from kids like me when Sub-Zero first unveiled the ice ball. Or the cheers when Scorpion took off his hood to spout flame like a dragon, using the SAME pose, posture, and distance as seen in the game. These are the details that made the difference.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind right now...

I don't understand the appeal of the movies. They're really generic and strangely bloodless for zombie movies.

yes

that fucking face at 2:05 holy shit

Not if they just copy the Nylund novels

Johnny Cage is the unsung hero of this movie. Sure, many naysayers may argue he only got two fights but let's examine those fight.

1. Cage vs. Scorpion. Alright, let's just get it out of the way now, it was overly clear this version of Scorpion was significantly more brutal than his videogame version. Not only did Cage have to contend with living reptilian esque spears that could track his fucking location. He literally got sent to fucking hell within the first minute or two and then have to fight in one of the more vertical and varied arenas in the entire movie. Also he didn't get any outside of help in this fight. He had to improvise with a bladed shield before finally "killing" Scorpion and still had time to fucking insult his ass with an autographed headshot.
youtube.com/watch?v=lVoEhO8stu0

2. Cage vs. Goro. I don't even think this needs arguing. He literally fought and beat the champion of the prior Mortal Kombat tournaments that was literally Shang Tsung's ace in the whole for finishing this tournament as it was clear he was not a "true" fighter. He was willing to puss out and fight Sonya because he knew he'd have a significant chance of losing against Kang and Cage (his ego was massive enough that if he thought he'd win with minimal difficulty he would have went for it).

Cage had the two hardest fights of the entire tournament and didn't receive any fucking help in either. He may not have the raw talent of Kang, but he has ingenuity and tactics in spades. Lot's not forget that he used his own martial skill to kick Goro's ass off a mountaintop. He didn't use some weapon to beat his ass into submission, he forced someone with more skill, 100 extra pounds, and two extra arms off a goddamn mountain through sheer fucking skill.
youtube.com/watch?v=X1q3058TTqI

I guess what I'm trying to say is Johnny Goddamn Cage

No, the best most faithful video game movie ever made is Postal

OW the edge

The fuck, i thought i was the only one. Considering that Dexter wasnt exactly considered to be the best actor since his only other major character is Dexter the Autistic Killer

Resident evil was some sort of bastardization of alice in wonderland set in a zombie world

how do i attain this body?

Making a movie out of a video game is going backwards.
Video game is just a way better thing than a movie. Why we pay $60+ for games and 20 or so for a movie.

>TFW you like all the lore from everything before 343 took over, and you know any movie made will ignore all of the interesting stuff in the background and be a MC focused action bore.

This isn't to say I'm against it being an action film, I just know it would be a shit action film

>trying to pretend Reach was good
It was the last one to LOOK like Halo, I'll give you that, Bungie is also worse than 343 could hope to be

i thought my love for MK was all nostalgia but I watched it the other day and really liked it unironically. It was, dare I say it... fun.

Yes, it's shockingly easy to adapt most video games. They're typically protag vs antag narratives and yet somehow producers just can't wrap their heads around this.

And she's still fucking hot.

Bahahahahaha confirmed for shit taste. I bet you like the new halos the most because they’re like call of doody

That blonde with the two braids looks 16