Iron Fist

Book origin:
* Wendell Rand accidentally found K'un-Lun when he was young, saved the ruler's life, was welcomed into the ruler's home, but then left and became a self-made tycoon.
* Returned years later with his son Danny, his wife, and his business partner, Howard Meachem, wanting to show them the cool place. Got betrayed and killed by Meachem, along with his wife. Danny is left for dead but raised by the people of K'Un Lun.
* Danny returns as an adult after fighting a dragon barehanded and becoming Iron Fist. Beats all of Meachem's men. "Hello. My name is Danny Rand. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
* Meachem is now a pathetic old man who has no fucking legs (whoops frostbite)
* Danny decides there's no honor in killing such a sadsack and starts walking away, but Howard gets killed by an assassin that frames Danny, and suddenly he's on the run (not unlike Luke "I didn't do the crime I was accused of!" Cage), hunted by Meachem's kids and all the police and assassins they can throw at him

tldr the biggest problem with Iron Fist, by fucking lightyears, was that they looked at the source material and decided "dude who can't figure out what he wants to be" would a better story than "man that spent a decade honing to become an instrument of righteous vengeance only to have it all go wrong".

Hollywood deciding they know better than the source material strikes again.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SIq14nfHsHo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They do know how to tell a better story.. having your antagonists remain sympathetic is best thing netflix did.

What? Read the OP. Meachum is sympathetic in the comics.

>man that spent a decade honing to become an instrument of righteous vengeance
You can't really pull this off when they literally only learned of the fight choreography 15 minutes before they actually filmed it. All of the fight choreography was noticeably bad with quick edits and cuts, and this is sort of an issue when it should have been probably the most important thing to get right in an iron fist adaptation.

Nowhere is that stated in the op unless you mean old man bit. The 90s description reads like a comic story. Problem is telling a story in visual medium and not coming out like a one dimensional cartoon.

What I mean is meachems come off like unrealistic villains in ops description and making them sympathetic makes them more real seeming.

It needs to fill 13 episodes and not show K'un lun at all.

And fill most of the show with business board meetings. Make all the action the 6th most important thing about the show.

Comic Howard tried to kill Wendell because he loved Wendell's life. Well, he DID manage to kill Wendell, but she died too. And he lost his legs in the process. So overall he lost out big time on that whole scheme.

So when Danny finally confronted him, he was like "I lost the woman I loved, I lost my legs, and now this. Go ahead, put me out of my misery," and Danny walked away. Only to have someone else kill Howard and frame him.

Not saying it was the most amazing writing ever, but it sure as fuck beat Danny becoming Iron Fist in the show and going to New York out of enui. Fuck, he looked like a moron walking into the building and expecting everyone to go "OMG, you're Danny Rand!"

In my opinion Iron Fist's origin story was the most boring part about him, all of his other stories are much better. I hope season 2 taps into the more whacky or serious sides of him. Like Living Weapon or the current story in where he feels so lost he joins a Mortal Kombat tournament.

I'd say it's pretty crucial. He trained hard as fuck because Revenge, then walked away when he realized the guy he'd been obsessing over wasn't the foe he'd been imagining.

Then his ass got framed, which gave some foundation to his friendship with Luke.

They could've modernized that, given it some polish and depth, instead of just tossing it.

Dude had his mom eaten by wolves, got raised in a mystic Shaolin city, then beat a dragon to death barehanded, before going off to fight a small army of mercenaries in a skyscraper. Making Iron Fist's origin boring shouldn't be fucking possible. I mean they did it, but you're left wondering HOW the fuck they did it.

Especially if you play up how shit a dad/person Wendell could be when he'd go nuts over K'un L'un

I think a decent modern adaption would play up the idea that Howard has spent the last decade dreading that one day Danny would return for revenge, and so he kept building up defenses while pushing away his kids. You could make him and his family more interesting than they were in the original comics while still keeping the core concept of Danny as a guy out to avenge his dad. Flesh out the existing story, don't ignore it.

Not to mention it was added that Danny's mom was fucking Harold.

I may be mixing up retcons with what his origin originally was, but Wendell was a fucker at the time.

He was going to go to K'un Lun on his own, but was convinced by Danny to bring his family. Harold, not wanting to see his best friend (and mistress) die on snowy mountains, went with them, all while trying to convince Wendell to give up. But Wendell was fucking OBSESSED with getting there, and eventually Harold took the opportunity to kill him. At that point, Wendell tried convincing Momma Rand to leave with him (bringing Danny obviously, because he's not a monster), but she not only said no, but that she'll hate him for the rest of her life, and will make sure that Danny hates him and will kill him for it.

Dude's surprisingly sympathetic given his actions.

That's not his original origin, but it goes to show how easy it is to take the old comic origin and breathe new life into it.

The show take just... sucks. Big time. Relies on The Hand to do all the heavy lifting, and makes Danny a guy that wanders from place to place going "what's my motivation today?"

half of season 2 should be a straight up "What Danny did at a mystic Shaolin city" and the next half should be "Let's see Danny and the Drunken Boxer team up and fight 100 hand ninjas Protector Styled"

youtube.com/watch?v=SIq14nfHsHo

They don't have the budget.

That's a big part of the problem. They have less budget than your average cop show. Marvel announced how much was being spent on the entire Defenders project and it was a big number, and it wasn't until later that people did the math and realized that after dividing it up across 60 episodes it left each individual episode with a surprisingly small amount of cash.

I mean Arrow might have less, but it's not held to as high standards as the Marvel stuff is.

>I mean Arrow might have less, but it's not held to as high standards as the Marvel stuff is.

It also has lower production costs for being made in Vancouver.

Why do you faggots even watch comic book movies just to bitch about how they aren't the same as the comics?

This show was fucking awful for a lot more reasons than those listed above. I've never even read an Iron Fist comic, and I still hated the show. Danny used a leopard paw nerve stroke attack to Colleen's armpit and it was a fucking plot point. Isn't she Japanese? Kenpo is a Japanese martial art. I'm an ORANGE BELT (pathetic) in Kenpo and I know leopard stikes. In fact anyone who's ever seen a kung fu movie should know leopard strikes. They even introduce that shit in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of Power Rangers Jungle Fury so KIDS would know how to do leopard strikes. And it was a PLOT POINT in the show. She remembered how he showed her leopard style shit and used it in the fight club scene.

The point is I have no fucking idea how someone as big as Marvel can make an entire series that should be nothing but martial arts fight scenes and doesn't employ a single person who knows martial arts when writing and/or choreographing the show.

Half the fight scenes were just disjointed shots and closeups for strikes clearly not connecting. Most of the fights had a bunch of stupid, unnecessary moments where it zoomed in on the characters face showing their rage and determination, relying more on passion than skill to sell these shitty fight scenes.

2 protagonists went up against groups of armored swat dudes with guns and not a single shot was fired. Very believable...

And most of the show was made up of scenes of people whispering in a fucking office building.

ALL they needed to make this show good was to rip off of a bunch of kung fu movie tropes and to hire actual martial artists as actors, but no.

OH also Danny's training music was super shitty and unfitting. It was like the worst hiphop I've ever heard and didn't even match his personality.

Awful, awful, awful show.

i didn't mind the boardroom stuff. the corporate stuff plays an important role in the story.