HBO's Rome

>there will never be another well written high-budget depiction of Rome without racial SJW taint
Seriously nothing entertained me like this show did. It blows GOT out of the water.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KP2q7YiLjRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gsK4nX0tCGQ&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=HWdtPy4fQ6U
youtube.com/watch?v=xBCqAU4HB5o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>There are those unwise men who say that repeating digits in a northern quadrant is neither indicant, nor negation. Such are the barbarous innovations of our day

This show died and GoTshit lives on

kill me

if you liked rome you really need to check out the awesome bbc teleplay from the 70s adaption of I Claudius

Friendly reminder that the Newsreader is objectively the greatest character of all time.

TRUE

BREAD

Do we really have to talk about this

FOR

JEWS

FAKE

they killed this show FOR GoTshit

>All citizens, be aware that the vassal, Prince Herod, Tetrarch of Galilee, has come to the city. By order of the triumvirate, during his residence here, all mockery of Jews and their one god shall be kept to an appropriate minimum
my favorite line of dialogue ever

youtube.com/watch?v=KP2q7YiLjRQ

>it was going to lead up to jesus and be christkino as well as romekino
JVST

Just how new are you?

This

I would really like a show about Late Era republic Rome that starts with the kick off of the Punic War and follows it all the way up to Caesar Augustus becoming Emperor

>check on youtube to rewatch I, Claudius
>All the videos are down

no fuck yourself. Asking for something like that now is just asking for trouble.

GAIVS

I Claudius is fucking great, check it out any way you can. John Hurt as Caligula is so fucking worth the wait

Rome is exactly like GOT, BUT without any retarded characters with plot armour

Daily reminder that Marc antony was /ourguy/

Jesus christ, can you just not laud HBO and complain about 'SJW' in the same breath?
It's so fucking absurd. The level of cognitive dissonance with you people. HBO is full of gay stuff and feminism and Rome is no exception. That is social justice. They are deliberately exposing the culture to gay people and feminism to progress society, because HBO is 'SJW'.

>worshipping dogs and reptiles
>dancing and playing cymbals in vile Nylotic rites
>ourguy
Think again.

>racial SJW taint
>"wahhh wahhh we don't like how companies run their business!! they have to cater to MY needs!!!!"
fuck off SJW

It could have been so great :(

>WAAAH WAAAAH WAAAH

cry mor wh*te bois lmao

SNIVELRY.

>there will never be another well written high-budget depiction of Rome without racial SJW taint
The Borgias was p. litty my dude. And you did say Rome, not the Roman Empire.

It was a slog to get through the first season, the sets looked cheap and the stupid side plots were extremely boring, deleted the 2nd season as soon as I finished the 1st.

>YWN be a billionaire and be able to finance turning Historia Civilis entire youtube channel into a tv show
youtube.com/watch?v=gsK4nX0tCGQ&t=1s

People only like it because it's British, it gives it a sense of quality just because of where it was made.

>HBO's Rome is British

Good days are gone.

LMAO

It wasn't just HBOs dumbass it reeks of BBC

There will never be a madman like John Milius in the current Hollywood industry ever again.

There won't be anything historically accurate made again, it will always have some "progressive" insert.

>Marc Antony for People's Tribune??

Rome is progressive
It talks about homosexuality, feminism and incest.
It's just also good
The majority of television is shitty, so progressiveness in shitty television triggers you. Whether or not something is progressive is a poor metric for judging its quality.
Do you like The Sopranos? Because that explores mental health, homosexuality, gender roles, the parasitic nature of the church, racism, drug addiction, rape, feminism, wealth disparity, immigration and masculinity.
It's one of the most progressive shows ever made.

>People's Tribune Mark Antony and fifty men of the Thirteenth were assaulted a thousand head of Pompeian SCUM. A tribune of the plebs ASSAULTED on the Senate House!

Can you imagine a more terrible sacrilege, Sup Forums?

This. Those two soldiers were also fucking retards, I'm still amazed how plebs on this board can like them. Muh feels I guess. The first 3 seasons of GoT are by miles better.

EXPLAIN.

youtube.com/watch?v=HWdtPy4fQ6U

>Do you like The Sopranos? Because that explores mental health, homosexuality, gender roles, the parasitic nature of the church, racism, drug addiction, rape, feminism, wealth disparity, immigration and masculinity.
it explores them but never comes back with a moral message or takes sides like modern shows

Is there any chance Netflix lets Bruno restart the series, possibly with McKidd and Stevenson?

The plot with Pullus waifu not falling in love with him completely subverts the story you'd normally get. Octavian slaying his sister is another example of how progressive Rome was.
There was a lot of exploring what it meant to be a woman in a society that marginalized women. Incest is a strong cultural taboo we hold, challenging which is highly progressive.
It has gay sex scenes, those haven't been seen on television until very recently, mostly due to this, and other HBO shows.

It's an archetypal progressive show.

>ITT: scenes patricians will never understand

youtube.com/watch?v=xBCqAU4HB5o

I think "progressive" is usually used as a negative term for instances when those topics are inserted and used cheaply. Like ensemble movies where every character happens to be of a different race despite differing source material. Or making Sulu gay in the Star Trek movies just because his old actor is gay. It doesn't bring anything to the character, it's just blatant pandering.

>Incest is a strong cultural taboo we hold, challenging which is highly progressive
Not exactly how I'd put it

>where it was made
Shot in Italy (Cinecitta)
Most directors are Americans and the usual HBO filmmakers (Alan Taylor, Tim Van Patten, Allen Coulter, Jeremy Podeswa etc. those guys never get any credit but they all directed the best HBO shows)
Most writers are Americans (Bruno Heller is English but was already working in Hollywood)
Basically the only thing BBC brought in seems to be a part of the budget and a UK cast with UK accent (a strange decision but perhaps because of Shakespeare's Caesar), and most of them are Irish or Scottish instead of English!
Also BBC butchered the first three episodes and edited them into two episodes to focus more on sex and violence. Brits are actually dumber and more incompetent than Americans!

THIRTEEN!
THIRTEEN
THIRTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply discussing all those themes makes The Sopranos progressive and liberal. Just because it's rich, subtle and nuanced, doesn't mean it doesn't take positions on things either. A show that isn't hamfisted doesn't necessarily not have any strong ideas. If you can read the sopranos to fit a right wing social ideology you are delusional, stupid, or both.

Protip, all HBO shows are liberal and progressive.

>user, have you penetrated anyone yet?

Do you really think The Sopranos wasn't make a strong point about anti-gay bigotry, the stigmatisation of mental health and how debilitating traditional gender roles can be for intelligent women in patriarchal societies?

>tfw all the general public cares about is the Republic and maybe early Principate
being a Late Romeaboo is suffering

>real life Atia was a deeply religious and moral lady who was afraid for her son's safety.

>tfw no HBO/BBC Punic Wars miniseries

most people don't like a tragedy where the jews and mudslimes win. it's too real desu

The English accent is always used in Ancient Rome / Greece shows so that the stupid Americans remember that it's foreign.

if the british rememberd what foreign is there nation wouldn't be a series of muslim compounds

Yeah, 'progressive' 'social justice' 'liberal' and 'diversity' are all pejorative terms here. That doesn't change what those words actually mean.
If you're going to criticise shitty films and shows for being progressive, and you think that's why they're bad, then it's hypocritical to conveniently ignore it when quality shows are also progressive. If you don't like progressiveness, then why do you still like shows such as Rome & The Sopranos.

>Augustus is a black lesbian

> jews and barbarians destroying the empire
No thanks.

The Late Romans were too stylish for their own good, they ensured that any media made depicting their era rather would have to spend the entire budget on costumes just to make everyone look as fabulous as possible

lmfao

imagine how sugarcoated the female characters in this show would be if it were made today

I really liked this honestly.

> Punic War
> Rome vs Goliath
> heroic victory after cucking Hanibal
> white romans oppressors razing Carthage
Not in this life.

This scene is 100% Milius, right?

>All the carthagians are black even through they are with greek/phonicans (whatever you spell em) names. I rather not have it like this.

That looks like your average celt/german though.

There's nothing inherently wrong with feminism, diversity, homosexuality, etc. It's just that most shows & films suck. It's a false equivalence. This is progressive. Its shit. Progressiveness made it shit.

If that's your conclusion and you like any HBO shows, it doesn't make sense. It's ok to not like liberal ideas, diversity, or progressiveness, but not selectively. Frankly, if you don't like HBO shows, then you have shit taste. It's not possible to be strongly socially conservative, have opinions, and a good taste in television.

The default seems to be to not actually care and selectively get triggered by shit and it's pathetic.

> being this absolutely obsessed about the bogeyman

I agree with OP

*have consistent opinions

This is a reality in-front of me, soiboy.

>there will never be a series about Aurelian
>there will never be a series about Stilicho and later Flavius Aetius trying to save the Western Empire
>there will never be a series about Belisarius expedition

Why are we here? Just to suffer?

North and Central Europeans believe this

>tfw they were actually part of the 11th legion in IRL

>Simply discussing all those themes makes The Sopranos progressive and liberal
That's an idiotic opinion, there's nothing liberal about acknowledging any of those issues. Being conservative isn't about ignoring the world around you.

Coming from a country that has whole states that are majority spic you cannot talk, at least the muslims in Britain stay in their own ghettos and do not mix with the natives.

Chainmail wasn't invented until the 1400s

>It's a Rome show
>they're not all wearing lorica segmentata

>implying your average barbarian would be able to look this /fa/

It's the same here. Look at a demographic map of a US city, you'd think segregation never ended.

>there will never be a series about the original holocaust

Why live?

Yeah that's why there are so many mixed race in America.

Lorica hamata was used before christ was born. The Celts had been using it long before then.

Based Stilicho. Perhaps the truest Roman that ever lived.

Are you fucking retarded? This is why Sup Forums shouldn't speak on history.

Same observations here. Except I stopped watching after finishing the pilot. It looked cheap, like a 90s show.

WHAT

You kidding right? Titus and Lucious are plot armored to hell and back.

Also if anything GoT is only emulating Spartacus and doing a shitty job of it. The violence and backstabbing and plots and action also tits were waay better in Spartacus than in GoT.

That Jew who worked for Atia would have gone to Jerusalem and become one of Jesus's disciples. In other words, it would be a mix of Roman politics with Pilate and Herod, and Passion of the Christ. Instead we have GoT starring le witty dwarf drunk, brooding pretty boy and "muh stronk women".

No they didn't. They killed it because it was the most expensive show in the history of HBO by a huge margin, and they were under the impression that they would make more money if they made more, but cheaper, shows instead. One 150+ million dollar show, or five 30+ million dollar shows.

Didn't also most of the set burn down or something?

She was hot as fucking this show

Dude look at him he has a small beard, long hair, wears pants and one of those little capes over his tunic.