Well, I decided to finally read the book that inspired my favorite movie, and you know what? I'm pretty fucking pissed...

Well, I decided to finally read the book that inspired my favorite movie, and you know what? I'm pretty fucking pissed. I did not want to know what the hotel's motivation was or how it worked. That shit was ambiguous in the movie. But now I know. And I can't unknow it. And I'm pissed.

They're vastly different mediums that rely on different story telling techniques. Ambiguity is often less effective a technique in literature and can offer frustrate readers of books but it is the defining feature of the movie. The movie also has a much simpler plot and instead draws it's complexity and nuance from it's cinematography, music and hidden details (like the American-Indian artwork on the food in the storeroom). By comparison, you can't really hide those details in writing as every word is explicitly chosen and presented to the reader.

I love the movie, more than the book, but I don't think it's fair to make direct comparisons between the two.

The book is shit. That's why King hated the movie so much.
>that part where the hedge animals come alive
So fucking dumb.

King is better idea man than writer. I doubt the future will remember him as great horror writer like Poe and Lovecraft.

Fuck man, nice quads.

Most of the movie adaptions are better than kings books.

Name ONE instance where I'm wrong

KIng is a known terrible writer

Kubrick undoubtedly flipped through the Shining one weekend and launched off and made his own story.

Don't even think that book has anything to do with Kubrick's film. Kubrick used the basic plot and did his own thing.

Dark tower

All of them except Stand By Me and The Mist.

I agree for the most part, but the motivation of the Overlook presented in the novel is completely consistent with the actions taken in the movie, so whenever I watch the movie now, I'm gonna think "they're trying to make Jack kill Danny so they can have his power."

Ok I'll give you that one.

The Shining, The Green Mile, Misery, and the Sawshank Redemption were all better as movies than King novels

His short stories are way more scary than his novels. Shit like The Jaunt actually gave me nightmares.

I think the best way to think about it is just to consider them as two seperate stories with the same name/setting.

It was ages before I even knew that was one of his. Was told the premise years ago, and it was super freaky. Doesn't even feel like a King idea.

now go watch the version king remade with complete creative control , it's just like the book and its terrible

the shining

Didn't see it yet. Is the sex train scene in the new version?

He also got so butthurt about it that he made his own adaptation, and it sucked ass just as King had always envisioned it.

That's not even the real issue. The book fucking sucks. Every time I read Stephen King I feel like I've wasted time.

King doesn't understand visual story telling.

The stuff Kubrick left out was mostly stuff that wouldn't transfer well over to a film.

I havent read any of King's work so forgive me if I'm wrong, but that sounds exactly like Bran's storyline in A dance with dragons, with bloodraven and the children: a hyvemind of dead people with powers trying to absorb the consciousness of a very powerful child with the help of a human, and a useless woman trying to protect him.
GRRM confirmed for hack?

Pet Sematery.

Cujo.