If this was split into 3 movies the prequels would have been a lot better received

If this was split into 3 movies the prequels would have been a lot better received.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HbBKHB1Sffg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RotS was good, but is that symptomatic of just being a better idea for a story, Lucas having two films under his belt and really getting into the swing of things after being away from it for so long, the technology catching up, or what? Is it just the dark tone? Why is III so much better than the other two? If he had gone on to make another live action Star Wars in ~2007, would it be even better?

I think because it actually somewhat connected back plot-wise to what made the originals great. No random trade wars with alien chinese men for half the movie

Maybe. It's good before it gets into the OT stuff though, I think my favourite sequence in all the prequels is act one of RotS, from the beginning up to the happy landing.

Also there are like six lightsaber fights in RotS, way more than any other movie. Maybe that's why it's so cool. George was actually pretty good at directing those, the behind the scenes stuff shows that he actually put a lot of thought into them

>RotS was good
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

its shit
the phantom menance is the 'best' one in terms of filmmaking

Idk man that one podracing scene in episode 1 changed my life

no fart joke in tpm
anakin already adult
maul leting obi wan go without being split
droid war starting with naboo
atoc starting with a republican non clone army being defeated

Why, because it was shot on film? TPM is better than AotC by a country mile, but I prefer Sith

Must have been cool as shit in the cinema in 1999 with the big screen and the massive sound system, but it is quite long

Same thing that saved RotJ - Ian McDiarmid's Emperor performance.

The Phantom Menace is completely pointless.
Apart from Anakin as a kid, young Obi-Wan and young Yoda it has nothing really to do with anything.

Storylinewise it should of been 3 movies set between the start of Attack Of The Clones and the end of Revenge Of The Sith.

or make the war start there, with a republican fleet comanded by palpatine attacking the trade federation

This, i skip TPM every time.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbBKHB1Sffg

we needed this instead of Attack of the Clones

You are correct

No, there was no way to save this with that storyline. It was so predictable, stupid and lazily put together in every way that nothing could have saved it. You would need a completely different storyline, different director and different actors. In other words, it was garbage and should never have been made.

>In 2012, art critic Camille Paglia praised the film in Glittering Images, comparing some of its scenes to works by modern painters and calling it "the greatest work of art in recent memory".[76] Paglia explained that the film's finale, "has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off. Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith."[77]

>clones are expandable and dying easly
Fucking no and thank god that this garbage cancer show is declared non-canon.

Explain. The whole film and AOC feel lifeless. At least, ROTS, love it or hate it, is certainly unforgettable.

>Disneyshill getting triggered by actually quality

as if I needed another reason to like paglia

ROTS is probably the worst movie in the prequels. It has the shittiest most laughable CGI during that lava fight scene, even for the time period when it came out in the theaters I was shocked by how shitty it looked, continuation of the shittiest love story every put to screen, a depressing shitty ending, laughable Darth Vader in his suit, a character development twist in Anakin that really makes no sense, a clusterfuck of antagonists (Anakin, Dooku, General Grievous, Sideous/Palpatine). Whiney Anakin. Obiwan leaves him there to burn to death for no reason. Nothing makes any sense. None of the characters behaviors or motivations make any sense. Jokes in between scenes of people being dismembered. It's just a big pile of shit. I have no idea why anybody even likes this at all.

>tartarkovskyfag getting triggerd because he knows the show is cancerous

That's why I said love it or hate it. In a "so bad it's good" kinda way.

seething mouse lmao

>Obiwan leaves him there to burn to death for no reason. Nothing makes any sense. None of the characters behaviors or motivations make any sense.
why should we share a board with this "people"?

I love RotS but fucking hell.

I mean it does sort of "epitomise the digital art movement", as Lucas was at the forefront of digital technology and RotS is arguably what he would consider to be his magnum opus, but goddamn it isn't the greatest work of art ever by any stretch of the imagination.

Obi Wan didn't have the heart to brutally stab his best friend to death and while leaving him there to die is objectively more awful, that doesn't stop the emotional side of his brain making him unable to deal the final blow.

Plus maybe he wanted him to live/maybe the Force willed it/maybe all three

>Split The Phantom Menace into three movies
>Qui-Gon gets fleshed out
>Darth Maul gets fleshed out
>No Teenage Anakin
>Second movie is essentially a live action adaption of Redline
Oh yes.

>In terms of filmmaking

I hate these fucking faggots

although Lucas' garbage dialogue and braindead exposition combined with his uncontested control over production to ultimately create the shitheap that was the PT, I don't think enough gets said about how Ep. I fucked it all up from the get-go.

The Phantom Menace wasn't even the worst movie (AotC has a fierce power gap compared to all the others) but it straight up didn't need to exist. They wasted an entire installment on unnecessary bullshit when it had already been set in stone that there would only be three movies. Eps. II and III had to cover 50% more narrative as a result and this just further exacerbated Lucas' glaring flaws. RotS could have been an actually decent movie had the trilogy's pacing not been total garbage.

If Obiwan wanted him dead why didn't he mercifully kill him with a quick beheading? Otoh, If he wanted him alive he could have knocking him unconscious and brought him back to be revived. Instead he lets him slowly burn to death and walks away. That's either cold blooded or cowardly as fuck. That's severely shitty and doesn't seem at all like a Jedi thing to do. What don't you understand about this?

anakin deserved to die in pain for what he did

A Jedi as powerful as Obiwan should have been prepared to make a decision. It just doesn't align with his character as an extremely powerful Jedi. Especially one that was prepared to give his own life later on. Just leaving him there in agony would have eventually (to his mind at that moment) killed him anyway, and is either extremely selfish and cowardly or cold blooded and evil.

That might be true but I don't think that this aligns with Obiwans character as a Jedi. They aren't about revenge.

If they weren't shit they'd have been better received. In RotJ Luke shows that he's willing to lay down his life before compromising his values and this incredible act of selflessness brings Vader back to his senses. The lesson is clear its better to die than give in to evil.

In the prequels the lesson is, don't fall in love or someone will trick you into murdering people. Wtf? The movies would have been so much better if Anakin faced a similar test to Luke and failed but he doesn't.

that was before he saw him killing kids

I still don't think the Jedi would purposefully wish to see people burned alive for their crime, no matter how great. We don't even do this under our current system of justice. To think that the Jedi are even more backwards than we are, literally burning people alive for their crimes, doesn't even make sense.

But Obi-Wan didn't burn Darth Vader, the lava rivier of Mustafar burned Vader alive.

The duel, which he took part in, left Anakin near the lava, burning. He was partly responsible for the situation Anakin was in, which was being him burnt by the lava. I've already made my point that this film is garbage and inconsistent with the characters. It's just very poorly thought out. The acting was shit during this scene also. Nobody explained to Lucas to 'show it', not 'say it'? There is no need for Obiwan to scream out 'you were the chosen one! you were my brother!'. They should have shown that they were brothers in some way, and shown that it was the lost hope of the chosen one or something through imagery. Instead they just spell everything out, it's just film school tier shit. This whole film sucks, all the films in the prequels suck.

Jake Lloyd and Hayden ruined it. And Lucas.
And the writing.
And Jar Jar.
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's 99.9% Lucas

Look at his edits to the OT, the ideas in the PT and things he's said. He doesn't understand what was actually good about his own movies.