Why does Sup Forums hate Steven Universe? It's a very good show with good characters with good character development...

Why does Sup Forums hate Steven Universe? It's a very good show with good characters with good character development. It also has GOAT animation and sound.

Why the hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F3eZia96N7c
youtube.com/watch?v=TgseUOceeok
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Speaking just for myself, I can't stand a single character on the show. I find them all unlikable. Though I find Gumball likable so...

Its initial charm has faded away over the course of the last two season or so, and a lot of people have been left unsatisfied with the direction of the plot and a lot of characterization.
As someone who started out really liking it, it's becoming harder and harder to look past the shows flaws, and I can't help but find myself uninterested and skipping through most episodes.

Weak bait, but I'll bite.

I enjoyed it for what it was. A cute/charming slice-of-life with some interesting magical elements. Certainly not a masterpiece, but if you're willing to look past it's flaws you'll find a show with a lot of heart. It's lost it's way past season one I'm afraid.

While I haven't skipped any episodes yet, I agree that the flaws have gotten harder to ignore over time.

I like Steven Universe, but to be honest, most of the stuff SU excels at MLP does better.
Star VS would be a better example of a show that realizes the potential of not being oriented towards literal kids.

forced drama, constant forced drama. Plus the constant singing and crying make me cringe everytime.

I don't hate it, I just stopped watching because of all the crying and singing.

>I like Steven Universe, but to be honest, most of the stuff SU excels at MLP does better.
I actually kind of think what SU wants to do Star Vs does better. The slice of life magical stuff, human with powers living in magical world, the magical world interfering with her human side, the build up of a villain that actually KNOWS she damn exists, etc.

But it's pretty much this.

The show seems to pride itself on continuity and character development but everyone goes through the exact same arc over and over again. I don't know how many episodes we need about how Amy feels like trash.

The pacing is also terrible. There's suppose to be a sense of progression with the arcs and Homeworld development but it gets abruptly interrupted by bouts of townies. It's almost confusing. Like, every gem that YD has sent to Earth disappears or tells her to fuck off. How does she not find this concerning? Like, it's been maybe 50 episodes since her introduction and she still has never physically seen Steven or his gem.

Plot potential and plot execution has gotten more boring I feel. Like, when Steven turns into a baby, I was expecting a couple of funny scenes of the gang trying to do their normal routine while Steven was also a baby. Like the Gems would be fighting a monster and demand that Steven not miss any training because it's vital so Greg stands by the side rocking him while going, "Look at the monster, Steven! Wow, that's uh, is this really what you fight every day?". Instead Connie just gives a lecture and he turns back.

Or Connie and the Crystal Gems. I wanted to see Connie, Lapis, and Peridot actually save the town. Instead, it's a damn car wash. It doesn't even feel like slice of life anymore, it feels like diary comics.

Because Sup Forums is full of contrarians who want to shit on whatever is popular

>Or Connie and the Crystal Gems. I wanted to see Connie, Lapis, and Peridot actually save the town. Instead, it's a damn car wash.
Right? That was such a wasted opportunity to do something legitimately interesting with a bunch of characters who've either stagnated or completely regressed since their initial appearance.

>Shitty Protagonist
>Boring characters
>art style

>SU
>popular

on tumblr maybe

Stopped caring, slowly not really liking any character enough to keep watching. Show's not going in a direction I like, the little inklings of homeworld are so few and far between, and it seems like it takes even longer due to CN's ass backwards scheduling plus the fact that when they decide to air a chunk of new episodes, they all get leaked the next day anyways. I honestly can't see how anyone can keep being anticipated. This almost is the cartoon equivalent of how a lot of webcomics update.

Because muh tumblr

>goat animation
Someone show that pic of Steven changing size every episode.

SU has always been tumblr TAS, a cartoon made by and for tumblr only, but lately tumblr has been distancing from it

Because Sup Forums is full of soulless pricks who must always hate anything that is popular or good.

Because you make the same bait thread day in and day out.

>Tumblr audience
>Actual poor writing/plot development in favor of giving tumblr fans what they want because muh shekels
>Sup Forums hating Sugar because of everything that makes Sugar Sugar.
>Lesbians that aren't hot
>"progressive" fat characters
>Promotes pacifism at first glance (but ultimately subverts the idea as the story progresses)
>Ridiculous cameo appearances that cannot be repeated because of terrible marketing.

So many tumblrina buyfags would be grabbing toys and jewelry left and right if they just made them.

>lately tumblr has been distancing from it

Because Tumblr is finally starting to realize it's embarassing to be fucking Tumblr and the entire thing is imploding on itself. I hope they at least have the sense to delete their accounts before the stupid shit they post finds it's way to the archives.

I actually enjoyed the show during S1. It was a comfy show about a hybrid abomination and his alien caretakers going on adventures to fight monsters and look for artifacts.

Then everything changed in S2. Everyone became emotionally retarded, the townies became completely abhorrent, and by S3 every new character was just a walking meme. Not to mention the fact that the show started to drag on and the monster fighting became a thing of the past.

Everyone has seen it.

If SU has ANYTHING going for it right now, the animation would be the last thing I'd nominate. It's atrocious.

> It's a very good show with good characters with good character development.
yes

> It also has GOAT animation
no

>and sound
yes

>It also has GOAT animation
Good one OP you should be a comedian

At this rate, western animation will fall into the same pit hole of anime, kidnapped by a vocal fanbase of nerds and forced to pander to them, but with social justice instead of waifu faggotry. Fortunately they aren't making overpriced merchandise for the obsesive fan-market, yet...

We can't like something for long without turning on it. Especially something with female characters. It's the same reason most of us are virgins/not in LTRs. Because we hate ourselves and that hate eventually poisons everything we love.

The character development is pretty shit. Pearl is the only character to have a decently written character arc. Garnet has had none, Steven fluctuates between various levels of retardation, Lapis has been stagnant in the barn for far too long and Peridot is a meme now. Amethyst actually did get some development, but I didn't enjoy it. I get it, you hate yourself.

sorry kiddo, steven universe is just a bad show

>unlikable brian griffin tier characters
>autistic plot
>filled makes up half of the show
>god awful animation
Just off the top of my head. Now kill yourself faggot

>Why does Sup Forums hate Steven Universe?
I honestly think it's shitposters, like in a thread about another show someone will shit on it while using SU images.

oh its this thread again

>I get it, you hate yourself.

she no longer does tho'

Sup Forums tends to despise shows with bad animation. Add in a story with numerous plot holes that is dragging its feet, the inability to write SoL anymore, bad VA and music, and the fan base and you pretty much have a show justifiable to hate. It's basically to Sup Forums what naruto is to Sup Forums

>It also has GOAT animation and sound.

Someone post the webm

this is falseflagging, right? Pretty sure this exact picture was used many years ago to mock the new character designs.

Not him but Pearl's character is terrible. Once you remove her obsession with Steven's dead mom and being the mother that is... I don't know rule abiding? There is nothing else there.

Also I'd like to bring up the plot hole that she refers to herself as Pearl. The whole point of the resistance was to fight back against the strict culture and caste system of Homeworld. Pearl hates the fact that she was born a Pearl, just a servant. She wants the individuality more than possibly anymore else.

Now the first problem is that she basically became Rose's servant. Her Pearl like obsession with Rose (which was never a good relationship considering it was one way and obsessive) is completely opposite of what her character should stand for. If the story made that an element and addressed it it would be fine, great even. But it doesn't. It's ignored.

Second, why the fuck does she still go by the name "Pearl"? Why wouldn't she take a name for herself instead of holding the caste system title homeworld gives to all pearls?

Also pic related the animation in this show is trash. I know outsourcing work results in a job in quality but holy shit

>but lately tumblr has been distancing from it

I love the fact that even tumblr can't stand Steven and the headcanon is that the 14 year old should-be-in-high-school protagonist has either downs or hard core autism

>It's a very good show with good characters with good character development. It also has GOAT animation and sound.
Don't lie to me boy

TLA was outsourced to Korea and the animation was good though.

Shitty animation and art style, characters and "plot" meant for faggots.

Great exception to the rule. SU is riddled with mistakes that heavily imply the animators lack even the fundamentals of animation. Forgetting to draw the gems on the gems, switching cloths in the middle of a scene, people and objects teleporting between camera cuts because they can't remember where they are supposed to be, forgetting modifications to characters like pic related a black eye

I mean holy shit go back and watch the Garnet vs Jasper fight. Garnet breaks Jasper's visor halfway through the fight. But the entire fight has the visor broken.

It is artistic freedom you fascist!

>"plot" meant for faggots

I hated the show from the first scene.
>youtube.com/watch?v=F3eZia96N7c

Look at that shit. The store owners are genuinely confused and concerned for Steven while he is having an episode. Lars even looks sympathetic like he regrets teasing Steven too far.

Then when he gets back to his house he almost gets his face ripped off by a centipede monsters that can spit acid and the gems nonchalantly remark that they'll get them out of his room. And then he remarks that the monsters "aren't so bad". There is empathy and then there is such much empathy that you have a legitimate mental/emotional disorder

same here, when I saw this I knew this was made for a specific audience in mind. Kids will watch everything but when that fat little fuck started singing about the sandwich I wanted to know who in their mind found this funny or good.
Look SU has a good premise, good ideas, but holy shit the execution was bad. Forced drama and the slice of life crap, even the songs sounded like that avant-garde shit which soundedicated terrible.

>GOAT animation

Don't forget the sexualization. Can't believe the fans try to defend this shit.

I watch the show and I don't defend it, and I still wonder "How did they get away with this?" as a question that will never be answered.

See I'd be fine if they just defended it but instead most SU fans deny it's existence when it's blatant as hell.

1. it's ugly

2. it's boring

3. a lot of the characters are annoying

4. its fans won't shut the fuck up about it

Too many fillers
No new Gems OR Fusions since the Zoo crap
character designs goes completely off-model ALL THE TIME

Someone post shrinking Peridot picture please.

Not an excuse SJ is outsourced to Korea, the reason why it looks like shit is because of the amateurish skill of the crew with shitters like Lamar and Zuke who don't know how to properly compose a scene.

>GOAT animation
I know you're baiting but there are people who actually think that SU has good animation and it makes me want to fucking kill myself

I couldnt get over the voice acting to know if the show is good or not

everyone sounds like such a cunt, anything they said was grating enough for me to switch channels

Because Sup Forums hates women and tumblr, which are the two biggest groups that like the show.

Hell, they only like Star Vs. because they get to see a woman suffer the same friendzoning they do.

Since when does Sup Forums hate sexualization? Who let you faggots out?

Sup Forums hates sexualization when it's done to homosexual and ugly characters

>your pokemon adventure starts now

You're joking right? Sinestro isn't even attractive to me, but the Hal/Sinestro homo threads are hot.

Sup Forums lives to sexualize homos.

Much of the criticism coming from tumblr is that the show is not "woke" enough (for example for daring to portray """""black coded""""" characters as negative or showing Greg's brother as not so bad a person).
that's like the opposite of starting to realize how embarrassing they are.

Sinestro is far from ugly tho

>projecting this hard

Are you retarded? Sinestro is hot as fuck.

I really can't find a single attractive picture of him on google images.

He's really not that attractive in the ongoing Hal Jordan book either. He has a weird ayylmao face and disgusting facial hair.

Give me some hot, canon Sinestro pictures then.

>Sup Forums finds this attractive
*breathes in*
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH

>season 1 episodes

>steven doing normal human things
>OH SHIT MONSTERS
>Steven fights the monsters, saving the day

>gems and steven go on a mission to gem made ruins
>a few action sequences, maybe a monster
>Steven learns a lesson about being warrior or gem history

>Nu-SU episodes
>characters have emotional problems
>there's no jokes
>nobody uses any powers
>there's more crying
>everything that happened was inconsequential anyway.

I watch it and even I don't think it's a good show.
It's pretty much shit.
A lot of the anti-SU stuff is just Sup Forumstards who've identified it as a symbol for all their boogeymen at once as opposed to just a shitty show by a white weeb.

no, fuck you. the show is legit awful now

I don't what else to tell you. You're just wrong and in the minority here.

>That one Garnet pic in the fanart folder.
Caught your interest I presume?

So you unironically find this attractive then? That's all I want to know.

I'm not even cherrypicking, he's just one ugly motherfucker

is it lewd?

where is this pic from?

oh my

Very.

And I'm not going to post the coloured version either.
A shame there isn't a translated version though.

yeah same

She sez:
"Are you faggot going to wash your literally shitty ass or eat your fucking food OR MAYBE FUCKING RAPE ME RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW WITH YOUR FUCKING FAILURE OF A COCK"
The last part is implied, though, and I might be a bit off on some details.

Very funny.

Thank you.

That's the face of an angel my dude.

it´s always Steve, his alien babysitters, and Greg in few episodes.
Other townsfolk dont exist, you see streets of that city are always empty?

(tiny "reeeeee" muffled in the background)

This.

Steven does autistic human things

The thing is, the boogeyman thing is true IF you actually give a shit about making sure every single child grows up to be a straight white-collar good goy with 6 kids that all go to sex-exclusive boarding schools and go to church on Sunday. Even though they themselves are unwashed assholes who LARP as nazis after they jerk off to thicc and feet.

Those of us who aren't brainwashed, socially retarded hopelessly despondent idealists, can see that the show falls short of being preachy at least in the beginning and falls victim to retarded tumblr fanservice halfway through because really how was that supposed to be avoided? Were competent, politically centrist people flocking to join the Crewniverse before the spots were taken by weeaboo genderfluids?

>Not him but Pearl's character is terrible. Once you remove her obsession with Steven's dead mom and being the mother that is... I don't know rule abiding? There is nothing else there.

not really, you can see she tries her best at the shit she does despite being outside of her "purpose" as a pearl, things like engineering and fighting

the fact she still acts a lot like a normal pearl is a character flaw, its done on purpose, this is why she is always doing chores, this is why she moves with so much elegance, she is afterall an expensive toy

this also explains, atleast in part, her obsession with Rose, not being able to completely ignore her nature as a Pearl made her obsess over Rose as if she was her owner

>Why does Sup Forums hate Steven Universe?

Cause Tumblr likes it.

Huh, I didn't realize it was possible to be that stupid.

So, what the fuck are they supposed to watch?

Tumblr hates SU

this desu

wtf i like SU now

The gems are technically AI, so it's possible to assume their personality is programmed to stay within certain parameters. Like how Amethyst had no experience on HW, wandered around Earth for hundreds of years in isolation, and still turned out to be scrappy and has a dudebro, off-duty soldier sort of personality going on.

Pearl might be programmed for extreme dedication and loyalty even if she has the autonomy to choose who she is loyal to. And she feels especially lost without anyone to respect and obey, like a dog would after it's owner died.

That's the first time I've heard Brian Griffin tier used as a phrase and it works so well. Will remember to use that from now on.

Sugar is also lowkey redpilled as fuck and the most recent episode was about refugees being evil

This is true. There are numerous SU fans on tumblr that have been turning against the show as of late; They've been making "SU critical" blogs all over the damn place.

I can tell Sugar wanted to subtly redpill some of the tumblr audience but can't or won't tard wrangle the people working for her because it's risky to even consider criticizing these "people"

So she's being taken for a ride at this point until the show gets cancelled prematurely and risks losing everything she worked for if she were to establish creative control again.

"Homosexuality and gender fluidity are the last stand of white identity"

-Rebecca "unironic Richard Spencer" Sugar

>If the story made that an element and addressed it it would be fine, great even. But it doesn't. It's ignored.

Except it's not.

youtube.com/watch?v=TgseUOceeok

It's her major character flaw but it's not like she still rigidly a standard Pearl. She taught herself on disciplines that regular Pearls would never do and she likes to take charge in many situations.

>Second, why the fuck does she still go by the name "Pearl"? Why wouldn't she take a name for herself instead of holding the caste system title homeworld gives to all pearls?

It's not a title, she literally has a pearl as her stone.

>They've been making "SU critical" blogs all over the damn place.

Just goes to show you can't even depend on these people to support something you do even if you are throwing gold stars at them just for watching. They will find ANY reason to paint themselves or other people as victims for attention. There's no reason to even acknowledge their existence at the cost of actual plot development.