How would Sup Forums go about making a quality Superman game?

How would Sup Forums go about making a quality Superman game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Wm4DtkdrG0
youtube.com/watch?v=0is_eVkApDA
desuarchive.org/co/thread/55279897
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WarioWare but with Superman and Mxy.

They'd make specific non-fighting missions to save people because Superman is the only character who does that and apparently the only character who needs that in his games to be good.

I really liked how his powers felt in Justice Legue Heores for what it's worth. Hell all the powers were well handled very well in this game except for Aquaman and maybe Wondie. Batman, Flash, GL, MM, Zatanna, Hawkgirl, GA were all fun and sort of unique compared to each other to play (reskins notwithstanding).
Too bad I can't into emulators, I'd like to replay this game.

>Open world
>Fly around Metropolis as hub
>Go to missions, beat up super-powered monsters and robots, save people
>Get collectibles or XP or STAR labs "power enhancers" to increase abilities
>Follow the linear main quest to beat game, do side missions whenever you want along the way

It's not fucking hard. The key here is to give the IP to a non-shit studio, and then also to not intentionally sabotage the development of the game.

Fucking Superman 64.

This is incredibly fucking uninspired to the point that it sounds like it would be real damn tedious.

Make it an RPG or some shit

Stand aside, motherfuckers. This is how you should do a motherfucking Superman game.

Gameplay:
>developed by Platinum Games
>game would be primarily action-focused with some puzzle-solving here and there
>would be an intense, CUHRAYZEE action game in a similar vein to Platinum's other works like Bayonetta, MGR, and W101
>however with one central difference in that you could fly freely
>it would essentially be a beat 'em up but with advanced combat mechanics
>think Zone of the Enders or something like that
>however a large portion of the gameplay could have you save civilians, buildings, and such
>health system could have regenerating health and a system like Ninja Gaiden 2 where you start off with a lot of health, but as you take damage over time, your health bar decreases overall, however your health still regenerates to a point

Combat:
>simple, yet surprisingly complex combat system that would require a lot of technical skill
>in order to control the camera, during fights, particularly when flying, there would be a lock-on system
>slow-mo effect during the gameplay where enemies might be slowed down for a while and you could react to enemies (said enemies might be something like evil Kryptonians and such who would be extremely quick without said slo-mo effect)
>you might also have 'super' moves that would be classic Superman moves, i.e.: spinning around super fast, tunneling underground, and appearing underneath an enemy, grabbing the ground and pulling it up from underneath them, etc.
>all this tied to a 'Super meter' that is consumed as you use special abilities like that
>superpowers like heat vision, ice breath, etc. might also be tied to this meter

>said superpowers might also be freely aimed or if you simply press the input for superpowers, it might automatically target an enemy like MGR or Ninja Gaiden
>said powers might also be powered up if you choose to expend more of your meter
>you'd have grapple attacks that you could use against the enemy, where you might grab an enemy, punch him in the face, or throw him at other enemies
>picking up various objects from the environment like cars, street poles, etc. and using them against enemies would be a pretty big part of the gameplay as well
>there might be some tech involved; like for example some enemies might shoot lasers at you and you'd be able to punch them back like the Fleischer cartoon to defeat them or using your X-ray vision to locate a heat source in a robot, then shooting said heat source with your heat vision, blowing it up

>the platinum meme

Stopped reading right there

Rings. Lots and lots of rings. And time limits. And picking things up.

Enemies/boss fights:
>ideally, the game would have you fight mostly enemies who might actually pose a threat to Superman, like evil Kryptonians, robots (particularly Brainiac robots, of which there might be multiple types), parademons, etc.
>said enemies might prove themselves harder to attack than necessary, dodging, using the environment against you, etc.
>they might also attack civilians and you as Superman might have to prevent them from doing so
>boss fights could really test the player and be something really special
>for some, they might be REALLY fast, requiring either incredible reactions from the player or the slow-mo effect to stand a chance
>imagine Faora and/or Nam-Ek from Man of Steel
>move so fast they might hardly be seen, can do everything you can do, incredibly hard to even touch, etc.
>imagine Jetstream Sam from MGR or some of the Ninja Gaiden bosses like Alexei or Elizabet
>but there might also be huge, gargantuan bosses, like maybe Kryptonian battleships, weaponry, Brainiac's starship, etc.
>for those, think the Cardinal Virtues from the first Bayonetta
>boss fights in general could have a lot of spectacle, a lot of cool shit going on, a lot of things to worry about like civilians here and there, etc.
>you'd be scored in general for how much damage you take, how you attacked, how many civilians you saved, etc.
>another thing you might do against enemies and even some bosses is pick them up and throw them to places where civilians might not be around

>make it linear and stage-based; open-world structure is overrated and the focus should be on combat, enemy encounters, and boss fights
>you'd be graded on your performance at the end of each stage
>other parts of the game where you play as Clark Kent or Lois Lane to break up the action

>the 'Platinum is just a meme' meme
Stop. They are the best developers in the industry today at making pure action games and are also some of the most imaginative and creative devs out there. If there's any dev that could actually do it, it's Platinum. I wouldn't trust anyone else for fucking shit.

I think the cancelled PSX Superman had some good ideas (that probably won't work as well today as it would have back in the day unfortunately).
youtube.com/watch?v=5Wm4DtkdrG0

Telltale Superman

I like Platinum games ok and everything but they would be terrible for a Super Man game

Make him fly through rings

Superman has to fly through rings and you'd get coins.

Use the coins to unlock new ring colors.

If you miss a ring the game automatically deletes your progress and you start over.

They really aren't imaginative or creative at all outside of animation, they're basically just good for muscle at this point considering how diced up they've become amongst so many commissioned projects. Even Nier's(automata) combat is super basic easy and un-engaging.

Considering that Superman doesn't ever have difficulty actually fighting unless it's some crazy shit (ok so maybe fairly often) I think a system more like the Arkham games would work, with as much as or more focus being put on his powers like heat vision ice breath superspeed x-ray vision and all these things

He said a video game

People just refer to them as a meme because they're only ever referred to as we have some cure-all what if we went to game so long as it involves any kind of action which 99% of games do

>I think a system more like the Arkham games would work, with as much as or more focus being put on his powers like heat vision ice breath superspeed x-ray vision and all these things

Yes I also enjoy pressing one button during combat.

Can you even argue that that isn't how simple Superman's fighting would be? Besides those games really have more of an emphasis on maintaining control of the situation and steadily dealing out damage using all the tools at Batman's disposal. I prefer platinum games in general but I'm not going to act like the Arkham games are bad just because they're different. They can be pretty hard

thats exactly what the superman returns game did and it was mediocre at best

>They really aren't imaginative or creative at all outside of animation
They can be when they have a decent budget and an original idea to work with. Look at W101. Or hell, look at the games they made when they were Clover. We still don't really have anything else like Viewtiful Joe.

>I think a system more like the Arkham games would work
Fuck that. That shit works for Batman and street-level heroes, but it'd be awful for Superman. A Superman game should have complex enemies and bosses. Big, epic boss fights that take place in the sky and have lots of spectacle. A Superman game should have combat that has way freer movement than what you find in the Batman games. You'd need to weave together the movement and the combat well, so you could do shit like pick enemies up and throw them at other enemies. Arkhamshit doesn't work for Superman.

I'd make it a story-focused action RPG game based on All-Star Superman. The biggest complaint about Superman is that it's hard to make his powerset fun to use - this minimizes that program by giving a story that forces him to fight enemies on his level as well as fun side missions that aren't all about punch-hard. Imagine a prison escape level where you have to lead Lex Luthor to his underground escape tunnel. You could also have side missions where you fly around rescuing people and engaging in their stories.

This. Making Superman: Arkham is a shit idea. The Arkham games succeeded because they focused on what being Batman would be like, and what is fun about that.

For Supes the appeal is a lot of powers, crazy Sci fi enemies and literal gods. Go with monsters, robots, or Lexcorp outfitted mercenaries not random ass street thugs. Bring in mind fuckery with guys like Toyman, Blanque, or Apokoliptan tech. Mxy can show up for Riddler like challenges.

And for God's sake just give him a health bar. He gets knocked out all the fucking time, he's literally died multiple times. Only retarded casuals think he's invincible.

>Can you even argue that that isn't how simple Superman's fighting would be

You could make it a Muso style game to show off how powerful superman can be. Shit like laser beams, frost breath could be specials.

>I'd make it a story-focused action RPG game
Good idea.
>based on All-Star Superman
Terrible idea. ASS is endgame Supes. Man of Steel or Morrison's AC is how you start out.

I think the game should let you make choices, and you choose to play Supes like his modern or Golden Age incarnations.

You play as Clark Kent trying desperately not to reveal his secret identity during a hectic workweek at the Daily Planet-- like if Metal Gear Solid were OctoDad

>it has to be a series
You are the cancer killing videogames.

first of all, you need to be able to just wipe out everything

100% destructible environments - you should be able to tunnel into bedrock and down to lava if you want to, not just knock a few holes in walls

secondly you need to be able to go anywhere or at least set realistic defined reasons why you can't - no waiting to unlock zones unless they're controlled by someone who can kick your ass

want to go over to Gotham and clean it up in 30 minutes? no problem

want to sort out Shit City so the Flash has nothing to do? great fine

thirdly, no fail condition for killing civilians or going full Man of Steel, you need to be able to at the very least turn off that kind of limitation if you want to play MoS style

I feel Superman gameplay wise would favors more from level based style rather than sandbox, think ninja gaiden type of combat but replace projectile weapons with Heat Vision and Cold Breath, and replace platforming with flying sections like star fox or some of the levels in Bayonetta. I guess you could make the main hub sanbox like and insert specific recue missions there but in order to make Supes powers more fun to use you need more structure levels that make good use of them.
Also boss fights should be big as hell, think of something similar to the bosses in Hulk Ultimate Destruction but to fit supes better they should have a defensive phase in which you either buy time for people to evacuate or you must draw the boss out of the city, the phase also serves as set up for the boss move set so you are allowed to deal with more difficult bosses asthe game goes on.
Also level by level structure allows for stages to not be only set on metropolis, you can go to the phantom zone, Mongul's warworld, neighbour cities like Coast city or Gotham, Rann, Thanagar or the surface of Mogo and so on.

You're thinking of Hideki Kamiya, he probably wouldn't want to make a liscensed game

but yeah you're right about the arkham thing, it wouldnt' be 1:1 useable for Supes, becuase he would never have to juggle his priorities between fending off a crowd of mooks like that. but yeah, like how they made a combat system specifically for fighting crowds, they ought to design a system for focusing on one or a few really strong opponents like a fighting game.

Like Dark Souls is a really great series, some of my favorites but what always bugged me is that with bosses it usually devolves to hugging their armpits to avoid their attacks and mashing R1 while dodging and healing occasionally.

There needs to be a head-to-head fighting mechanic where all of Superman's powers are at his disposal. I think something really meaty like a game where you fly around but asides from getting some good strikes in it's almost like wrestling, like if you deplete the health on a specific limb you can pick them up by it and throw them or do an izuna drop

he's only in danger on special occasions though which could be included even if you don't have a health bar.

I was thinking that due to the sheer power, but realized supes probably wouldn't fight hordes of dudes like that

Maybe when Kamiya is in charge, but his games always sell like dogshit.

>And for God's sake just give him a health bar. He gets knocked out all the fucking time, he's literally died multiple times. Only retarded casuals think he's invincible.
I agree with this. Maybe they could implement some other mechanics, like regenerating health in areas with lots of sunlight or something but in essence, you're right. People over complicate it. It's a fucking video game, it's not like there wouldn't be any ludonarrative dissonance. Video games are absolutely made up of that shit. For as much shit as I give NetherRealms, people kept on saying that Superman just wouldn't work in a fighting game, then they just went ahead and made one and made Superman like any other fighting game character. It's a fighting game, who gives a shit, you know?

>You're thinking of Hideki Kamiya, he probably wouldn't want to make a liscensed game
Maybe if you threw a lot of money at him. Will Wedgewood was at least partially meant as a homage to Clark Kent. Something tells me that he likes Superman a lot.

Anyway, a good basis for Superman combat should be something like the Dissidia games.

The newest one looks like it has the sort of in-air flight combat that could work in a Superman game. The only major difference is that D:FF is an arcade fighting game and it's balanced around that, but I'm sure someone could make something similar in a single-player game. But also less slow and floaty.

youtube.com/watch?v=0is_eVkApDA

I'd say the best idea Sup Forums's come up with to solve this conundrum is here: desuarchive.org/co/thread/55279897

A musou set on Apokolips. Superman is trapped there with a bunch of his enemies for whatever reason. That way you can have a ton of enemies who would be more of a match for Superman than humans.

If they're gonna make a musou, just make a DC Musou with a bunch of different DC characters and villains.

I like you.

I think the key is escalation. Like, make Superman just as powerful in-game as he is in the comics and structure the game around 8 or 10 big bad boss battles. Have the bosses become increasingly powerful with each level. Something like this:

1.Toyman
2.Parasite
3.Battle Armor Lex Luthor
4.Kalibak
5.Lobo
6.Zod
7.Mongol
8.Doomsday
9.Darkseid
10.Batman

Just make a puzzle game. He was good in Lego Batman 2.

That could work if you want to focus on story. Do some neat stuff with balancing Superman and Clark Kent's dual lives like they did with Batman. Plus it would solve the complaint of Superman being too overpowered.

>10.batman
Fuck you and your bat wankery.
The last boss should be " Goku "

>Not knowing what a joke is.

Why does Superman always fight spiders in cancelled material, its so weird

Ask this insane son-of-a-bitch.

there the real threat.
Just look at skyrim, no superman in sight.
Boom spiders fucking everywhere.

Best giant spider reporting in.

>Open world

stopped reading there

How about a section of Metropolis gets sucked into the Phantom Zone. Pretty much everyone there can hurt Supes.

Let him visit other planets.

-platinum or a studio who could pull off platinum style
-use environment as weapons
-variety of mobs to smash through
-bosses can be his rogues gallery

it's doable

>How would Sup Forums go about making a quality Superman game?

I wouldn't. What's the point of making a game that's impossible to fail at?

You can make a roamer like the spider-man games, put some kryptonite or some shit in the middle and superman becomes weaker the closer he gets. Structure the story so you have to venture closer and closer to the center as it goes on.

In the outskirts of town, nothing poses a threat. Everything is dangerous near the kryptonite plot thing. Insert various Supervillains ally to take out Superman plot, the stronger villains fight you where you are at your strongest, because, they are cocky fuckers. You fist fight Lex Luthor in the very middle of the thing at some point.

The guy pushing spiders also loves the concept of Superman fighting bears, or so i've heard.

Just make it saint's row iv and base it on golden age superman. By full upgrades you are pretty much golden age supes tier in that game and everyone is okay with it.

>Superman: The Daily Planet
>point-and-click adventure (more LucasArts and Wadjet then Telltale) episodic content
>Each episode focuses on Lois, Clark and Jimmy specifically trying to solve a conspiracy (some overlap in plot, but you can play them out of sequence if you really want to; fourth episode has the big finale where they all get their heads together)
>cameos galore from the badass normals (The Wall, Alfred, Dan Turpin, Lady Shiva, at least some of the O'Days)
>you can even visit Sgt Rock's tombstone

Gives you the option to be Superman or Ultraman

Have the game start with a fully powered Superman to give the player a taste of godhood.

Then have Lex Luthor hit him with some super BS science ray powered by red sun radiation and kryptonite that has long term effects to justify him being weak as shit and needing to regain power over the course of the game.

The Incredible Hulk:Ultimate Destruction but with flight, heat vision, and ice breath

World is littered with Brainiac forces, parademons, Lex's bullshit, etc.

Eventually you put in a Starro DLC where you fight other members of the league and play as them in their own short campaigns

He could just go through a flare or whatever, where he gets depowered from fighting a big guy or too much effort. It used to happen.

Superman: Urban Legend

We start with young Clark Kent, fairly weak with limited powers that can be very well represented in a videogame:
Faster than a car, able to leap a reasonable size building with a running jump, more powerful than a muscle car!
Its a hoax! Its a cryptid! Its...SUPERMAN!

The crux of the game is this, Ma and Pa are not okay with Clark using his powers in public but Clark is not willing to let people be harmed if he can help it, so it becomes a stealth action game where you have to defuse the problem with no one seeing Clark unless he has built up enough speed to be a complete blur that wont stand out on camera (there is a meter for that) and with super-reflexes represented by slowmo, so you could throw dodgeball at the bully without being seen (but have to ricochet it of the floor and wall so it doesnt hit them too hard). Another core mechanic would be disguises, with the most common being a a face covering improvised by cloth, that take damage as you use your powers, so you cant go all out unless there is no one around to see or you are already moving fast enough to be unrecognizable.

It is NOT an open world game, but progresses through levels to tell a story, revisiting each level a few times with some being very large such as "Smallville" or "Abandoned Facility" but some very small making use of his powers in more everyday, character interaction focused settings, such as "The Kent Family Farm".

Over the course of the game we go through several years of his life, allowing us to explore the developing character and give a sense of gameplay progression, and giving new options when revisiting levels.

>Stop the gas station thieves getaway on the highway
>Sneak out of school without being noticed
>Stop the bank robbery without anyone seeing your face
>Make a improvised runway for the damage plane
>Boxing practice with Pa Kent in a backhoe
>Learn how to match speeds with a falling person so you dont injure them when you catch them

do it like saints row 4
that game is the best super hero open world simulator to date

Also what I have been saying about characters with superspeed for years- limited increasing bullet time to represent superhuman reaction speed BUT UNLIMITED SUPERSPEED

so you have to be careful with superspeed whenver you arent just running/flying in a straight line

also take a leaf out of JRPG's books and have a "public perception" stat that deeply effects the story and gameplay with multiple bad endings even if you save everyone. Not just "the police attack you on sight" or "flying suits of armour spawn everywhere because you did too much property damage"

Luthor would be the main antagonist coming in at the end of the start of the game, as an almost conspiracy theorist type figure certain superman is real and dangerous and determined to find him and prove it.

Of course the games third act is Ma and Pa revealing they knew you were using your powers all along, revealing they are ok with it, telling you about finding you, showing you the spaceship pod and getting the kryptonian caped spacesuit they found you in that has been growing along with you. And includes an semi visible air bubble helmet (because normal kryptonians arent without yellow sun are basically human and need that) that blurs your features enough to be unrecognizable.

And THEN the game transitions into more of a "Superman!" game instead of a superboy game, with a few set piece disasters to prevent/stop/save people from (flood, forest fire, tornado, earthquake, dam break, nuclear powerplant accident), planecrash, out of control train, gang warfare, terrorist attack, Luthor monsters)

Metal gear solid revengence style. Depp were supes who gets stronger as game progressions and have crazy sick space fights and shit

>Mr. Mxyzptlk's Mega Microgames
That sounds fun.

You just have to make it fit the point of Superman. Not fighting, but saving. To quote another user from an old thread:

>The whole point of a Superman game would be to give the player the absolute standard and OP package of Superman's abilities. Super speed, super strength, laser eyes, flight, the whole nine.

>You can do everything supes can do.

>Now you have to save everybody. Except you can't be everywhere at once.

>That's the superman game I want. The game tears you down for not being everywhere to save everyone, but you try. Despite all your powers the game is supposed to humble the player and show just how fragile Superman's situation truly is. He's not a god, he's still a mortal being and the game forces you to weigh choices and consequences when it comes to saving people in danger when it happens.

>Now put the player in a to-scale version of Metropolis. Now try to save everyone. That's the game. When you don't save people the game, and news in the game, asks why Superman didn't save people, why he made the choices he did. You will receive letters of thanks and hate for saving and leaving people to their fates.

>Then Supervillians start showing up. The game keeps escalating, more people keep dying, and all the while you realize that you just aren't enough, but you have to keep trying. You have to keep fighting. You have to save everyone because you're Superman.

>And then when the game is finally over, a bulletin board full of the letters you've received is all you see. Stats pop up showing the people you've saved and left to die. NG+ pops up and asks "Think you can do better this time?

Oh this thread again

Superman Returns is already the perfect Superman game

Just have actually good controls, combat, missions, etc

It would sell hundreds of copies!

Show me where I fucking said that you fucking retard.

>End game
>Start
You imply there should be more than one game and that you have to start simple before moving up to more powerful in future games

Practical:
You start off as Superman, SUPERMAN. All the powers and shit unlocked and at maximum

Then some happens, lex Luther, kryptonite, blah blah blah, you gain your powers back over the game and progress.
Format happens in several other games.

In any case the game NEEDS a red sun segment where you're depowered but still putting up a fight against enemies. None of this puzzle solving bullshit though.

Young Superman should be the tutorial levels. Gives depth and shit too for the backstory and stuff.
Get to see the farm, probably the rocket in the barn too.

Instead of having superman have HP, the city has HP and supes is invulnerable. Your job is to defeat the opponent without ''killing'' the city by collateral damage.

SET THE TUTORIAL IN THE 1930s
Let it be a dream for Clark.
"What a weird dream."

You can have the entire introductory chapter with it.

Really the "It's Superman!" Book- just use that

I like this idea. You'd have to be creative about fights to reduce collateral damage, the enemy ai could vary from focusing on Superman to targeting civilians.

How many more clunkers and cancelled games does Platinum need to put out so you weebs shut the fuck about them?

Saints Row 4, with original flavor Superman.

Isn't that literally how Superman Returns already works?

MORE FLYING THROUGH RINGS

I think I've talked about this in a past thread, but the idea is basically to contain Superman to a smaller scale to get started, much like was done with Arkham Asylum, and also provide justification to go ham with his powers without concern about casualties:

>The game is a loose adaptation of The Supergirl Saga, more commonly known as "The One Where Superman Kills Zod"
>The basic gist is that the Superman in an alternate universe disappeared (taken to the year 3000) and in his absence, Zod and his cronies whipped out life on Earth, except for Smallville, kept safe due to that Earth's heroic Lex Luthor
>Superman gets brought into that world in a desperate attempt to defeat the Kryptonians, who would be most of the enemies in the game, providing Superman with a challange
>The world is pretty empty, because it's mostly destroyed, but it's big to really let players feel Superman's speed, he's able to fly over deserts and sees between the few actual points of interest in the game (Smallville, the ruins of Metropolis, Fortress of Solitude, etc)
>Since everyone is already dead, Superman can blow through as many buildings in his quest to save the people of Smallville and his own universe from the vengeful Zod as his lieutenants

If I had my way, the game would end with Superman killing Zod, because there's no way to make sure he won't escape the Phantom Zone again and destroy his own world like he already did here, but in the sequel he would be ravaged by guilt and PTSD and exile himself to space to have kickass space adventures (Like in the comics)

W101 and Bayonetta 2 were both good to great and those were the last two real, original Platinum games. They just need two stop making like three projects at once, need a good budget, and need to quit getting saddled with these shitty projects.

A Superman game would have to be licensed, but they'd need to have a significant budget behind them and be made in an effort to make a real, actual game, like the Batman: Arkham series.

Are we just ignoring Scalebound, their real, original, big budget game that got canned well into development because it was shit?

It wasn't shit, it was Microshit being Microshit.

They also cancelled the Phantom Dust reboot because reasons.

>developed by meme studio
Stopped reading there

So you do the first one and you base it off of Brainiac. That way you can have a good chunk of it be aboard Braniac's ship, maybe he throws weird aliens at you, a few mercenaries (Lobo), and when you get to the end he steps off his chair and you fight a knockdown drag out. Now storywise, you intersperse it with scenes of Ma and Pa, and Daily Planet stuff and Lex, Cap it off with Superman trying to stop the missle while Pa has the heart attack and close with Kandor being resized.

Second Game, New Krypton. Expansion expansion expansion. Bigger world, bigger narrative. various mission based stuff and dialogue choices, end with the War of the SUperman and wearing the red and blue for and epic level combat assisted by Supergirl and Superboy and Lex(shocker!)

Now, third game. Bold choice, Superman is barely in it, Maybe he disappeared after the War, maybe it's a self-imposed exile. You play as Super-Lex and it's an adaption of the Black Ring except with some other Mcguffin except the ring, of course. End with Lex unleashing the Doomsdays, ascending to godhood then you switch to Superman finally for the finale

DLC for all games is Mtzyptlk

No you fucking moron. ASS Supes is Supes at THE END OF HIS LIFE. Those other two are ORIGIN stories. That's all that meant I wasn't fucking advocating for a series.

All the footage I saw looked like shit senpai. That character design was ass.

Take a Spiderman game
reskin it for Superman
replace web swinging with flying
better than 90% of existing Superman games

They said game not depression simulation

why

if I wanted to play a game that made me feel like a douchebag for playing it I would just live my life

>Non-open-world option

I'd do a story based game like Telltale. Something not bound by stuff like health bars. A fun, light-hearted story that takes you through a good portion of his rogues.

>Open-World Option

I'd actually have the game have multiple sandboxes.

First you start off in Smallville. When you start, you can't fly, only jump. You also have a health bar. Most missions revolve around saving people while teaching how to use speed and strength in combo.

Eventually Brainiac comes back from the year 3000, followed by Cosmic Lad, Saturn Girl, and Chameleon Boy. Given a couple missions where the Legionnaires help you learn other powers. In final mission, you learn to fly and defeat Brainiac, sending him to the future.

Graduate to Metropolis. First you face off against Lex working with Intergang to learn the city. Fight some basic rogues like Parasite and Metallo. Also during this section, you have "charity" events, where you compete against a Justice League hero, and when you when, you get a boost in what your powers can do.

Final stage of the game involves Brainiac returning. JL members get mind controlled. Have to liberate both Smallville and Metropolis, then fight Brainiac's final form on the moon.

In later parts of the game, health bar is replaced with city health bar like Returns for normal events. Gives you a timer so the challenge is to stop the problem quickly with as few casualties as possible. Boss battles have personal health bar, since they'll be an actual threat to to you.

I like the idea of a destructible environment. Screw stuff up, and the public won't like you. Can rebuilt your rep through charity events and puzzle minigames rebuilding stuff for the city.

Need to get 100% completion for "real" ending of story. If you don't have it, time travel plot device sends you back to the start.

dating sim.

>put him on Apokokips
>the entire world is open to travel. no loading screens or other junk
>the entire world is destructible. things break in an appropriate manner to the type of force and magnitude of the force taken.
>heroes and villains of earth, the lantern corps, various aliens, new gods, brainiac, and other heavy hitters are all on Apokolips.
>no set quests. your actions just influence the events on the world. changing the outcomes of battles, how various people react to you, who controls what on apokolips, who is doing what on apokolips.
>super hearing/vision plus telepathy with J'onn lets you know what is going on all over the world.
>you have 3 bars to manage, will, power, and health.
>will, power, and health can all be increased through various means.
>will be spent to boost power, but leaves you more vulnerable to mental attacks.
>power dictates how hard you hit, how fast you are, heat vision, cold breath, durability, etc. power is spent when you use your abilities, but refills on its own. normal use won't deplete power. though if you crank it up high and then use a lot of abilities or an ability for an extended period, then it depletes. leaving your health vulnerable.
>stop taking damage for a while and get power back to normal and you heal quickly.
>things hurt superman at normal or enhanced power levels in ways you should expect. if Joker is shooting a normal human firearm at superman. then it is completely irrelevant. darkseid punching you at even boosted power is still going to hurt significantly.

>switch costume on character
>voices and lines change

Really thought that was neat as hell at the time. And don't certain versions of the game have different characters playable? Always hate when games do that shit.

I've always wanted to play this game.

Base the story and visuals on all the Superman Lives material and Nic Cage voicing Superman.