youtube.com/watch?v=njHiUggTjRo
youtube.com/watch?v=QIl0-Wc_c_4
youtube.com/watch?v=kAp2uq_2Yp0
youtube.com/watch?v=kqCsQCsinK4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want to hug McNamara.

Don't we all.

also spibbles has a new youtube channel for no discernable reason

When is Tumblr going to try Sondheim musicals.

youtube.com/watch?v=VdTWjpqNHJk

I feel like this would be great for an animatic. It could slip into an African tribal art-inspired style for part of this story, similar to the way that some songs in Hercules had Grecian vase inspired visuals.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYTpd8QOSA0

Really underrated song, is there a good animatic for Kindergarten Boyfriend as well?

Ahh geez, not this thread again

Was kinda disappointed with the actual musical from the camrip, I know there are recording quality issues but the sets and choreography seemed like they could've been much improved. It deserved to see its full potential on actual Broadway

Soundtrack stands up to the rest though, I will fight anyone who doesn't have any of these in their top tier: Beautiful, Candy Store, Dead Girl Walking, Seventeen, Lifeboat, Kindergarten Boyfriend, Meant to be Yours

Once he writes for a musical dissecting a period of American in a way that's unique from what we're taught in school ala Hamilton...
Oh wait,
youtu.be/MQ546PASgHI
youtu.be/vItcB9zw5EU

liked the costumes but the wigs were kind of crap, and the set wasn't really connected to the themes of the story, and it gave the production this high school theatre vibe wth people miming everything. The all pink for the few set pieces they did have was also a weird choice.

Kingdom of Heaven the musical when? Complete with a normal and reprise version of "the leper king" and of course "DEUS VULT" when?

Part of me hopes, since the tumblrs chicks are ,for some reason, in love with Serial Killer JD maybe they will jump into John Wilkes Booth, Leon Czolgosz or Charles Guiteau

>full potential on actual Broadway

Daily reminder that even if it did get on Broadway, Blue would be replaced with this shit: youtu.be/7lUbgEf3EUo

Never

I can't ever picture the broadway crowd going into a show portraying the crusaders positivily

youtube.com/watch?v=5tFkwN81F-w

B-but

Singing lepers

>that Veronica in the end

>Taking Heathers and making it PG, basically missing the entire point of the musical

If you're looking for that, honestly Jesus Christ Superstar has great Singing Lepers action.

youtube.com/watch?v=FL-3JFornNA

Make Me Well was one of my favourite songs from the musical honestly, right up there with Jesus Must Die, Gethsemane, and Heaven on Their Minds.
>We will never get an animatic for Make Me Well

I feel like "Sunday in the Park With George" has tons of creative potential, with the focus with painting and whatnot.

"Color and Light", "Beautiful" and both "Sunday" versions are just waiting for a great animatic.

I'm glad people like "Jesus Must Die". The Jew duo of Caiaphas and Ananias are probably my favorite characters of the musical. I even like "Then We Are Decided"

>tfw want to do Heathers Animatics, but currently struggling with good designs

It's the worst.

What song user?

if you've got something better than a scribbled play-by-play slideshow then you're already better than have of the animatics out there

I believe in you, user.

That was for high school versions, retard. Ironically the high school knockoff least captures the essence of high school, even more than the exaggerated caricature of the original musical.

>tfw spent way too much time making my animatic designs appealing and meaningful and symbolic that I forgot which song I was going to do.

That's what I thought too, but in one of the older threads someone posted a tweet by one of the creators saying that they were planning to put You're Welcome in the official version of the show as well.

Blue sucked but much like its focal characters it didn't deserve a fate this awful.

Caiaphas was my favourite character actually, especially if we're talking the 1973 version, dude absolutely owned that role.

>tfw Gethsemane

I like Caiphas and Annas in the 1973 version. Everywhere else i'm disappointed. I feel like they're much more human in that movie.

Yes, they're schemers, yes they forced Jesus death, but they aren't completely heartless dudes. Like in Judas' Death every other version of Judas' Death, Caiaphas and Annas are just hamming up the villany and completely humiliating and kicking Judas out of the temple.

In 1973 they're mostly confused, and when Judas falls to his knees, they put their hands comforting, uselessly, the traitor.

I guess because of the inclusion of "Then We Are Decided" they restrain the bad guy schtick with those two, which is suprisingly refreshing considering thats the most famous version.

Hey if I was 14 I wouldn't want to be a big youtube star either.

Who knows, maybe some tumblr chick who hates Trump will use Assassins to unload some anger.

Absolutely, the way I see it the whole point of Jesus Christ Superstar is the humanization of all its characters, showing Judas as a man who becomes disillusioned and afraid and eventually sells out his closest friend in his lowest moment of desperation, showing Jesus himself as less of a pure angel unphased by everything but instead a very good man who has been trying far too hard at a task he is ultimately unsure off and showing that uncertainly slowly drain on him to the point where he screams at lepers and screams at god himself, etc.

Having Caiaphas and Annas be the evil villains without a hint of genuine worry over the fate of their nation and small shows of kindness basically goes against that whole theme.

Of course Herod is allowed to be the exception since he's supposed to be comic relief

youtube.com/watch?v=Bugl7Hm9CHk

I feel like "Dear Evan Hansen" is going to be the next big animatic hit

god damn I love this show

>Jesus, please...

youtu.be/tjeZOeNFrrE?t=273

Sup Forums theater thread?

I saw the Anastasia musical on Broadway a few days ago and god, I hope this show lasts at least a few years on Broadway. It's beautiful.

Is the score based on the animated movie?

Yes, the score and the general plot are based on the animated movie, minus the supernatural elements except for visual representations of Romanov ghosts. It's more of a blend of the animated movie, the 1956 film, and some new material.

There are a lot of new songs. The only song from the film not to be included was In the Dark of the Night due to the plot changes, but they actually "included" it in some clever ways by using the melody in different places throughout the show. The most notable is in a gorgeous, somber, ensemble number about aristocrats, intellectuals, etc, and of course Anya/Dimitri/Vlad fleeing Russia.

Having seen "Lisztomania", I wish they had gone hardcore on the "Jesus Christ Superstar" film the same way that they did in "Lisztomania".

but In the Dark of the Night was the best song of that movie

Regardless of how one views the song, with the changes to the plot making the story plausible instead of a fantasy, there was no room for it. It's also so tonally different than the rest of the music that it wouldn't have even worked with completely different lyrics reflecting the new antagonist.

>it gave the production this high school theatre vibe wth people miming everything
>"Heathers" is set in a high school

POTTERY

Is the new villain song as good as In The Dark of the Night ?

>POTTERY
DEEPEST RHYMES

There's not really a "villain" song similar to In the Dark of the Night or other cartoon villain songs, but there's 2 main songs (plus reprises) that I guess could be considered antagonistic. The antagonist's solo is a song about his conflicted feelings and concerns for Anya as well as his devotion to duty and state. There's also an ensemble number he leads about the fall of the Romanovs and rise of the new order, which he reprises during a dramatic confrontation at the end. The ensemble number is the more powerful of of the two, whereas the other song reminds me more of a song like 'Where's the Girl?' from The Scarlet Pimpernel.

You can listen to some of the new song on Youtube, but honestly this clip doesn't do it justice at all, even though I don't think the song is amazing: youtube.com/watch?v=2NrxV3w6AdA

Ramin is in this musical so i believe in you being good.

>no discernable reason
she appears to have removed a particular description from all her other videos, so presumably they got some unwanted attention from that.

youtube.com/watch?v=vBAP8XCRm4w

On my second week of listening to the Rent soundtrack, I think the problem with it is all the good songs are in the second act except for two or three. Like the second act is so good but the first half has so much filler.

Ramin was fucking great. I watched a bootleg of the preview version of the show with a different actor, and god, what a difference. The new writing helped--in the preview version the character's motivations were just ????--but he just has this forceful charisma that you can believe him as a communist official with power.

youtube.com/watch?v=g-voeq7Cebo

2000 has them as Evil Illuminatti and the Tim minchin version has them as 1% Wall Street smug assholes.

There are better and lesser adaptations of the play, but outside of 1973 i can't think of one that portrays Caiaphas and Annas as flawed human

The first act takes place over one night, and the second act over one year of time, so that's probably why the second act is better able to space itself out.

DON'T BREATHE TOO DEEP

>2000 version

People make fun of the 2000 Pilate because he's a giant burly screaming Nazi who occasionally sounds hilarious

youtube.com/watch?v=QY_W_taKkXM

but I'll be god damned if this isn't my favorite performance of Pilate's Dream in any filmed version of the show

youtube.com/watch?v=m6FqGappi4M

I appreciate 2000's Pilates on a comedy level.

M.Bison's reaction to the 39 lashes is the funniest thing ever.

>DIE IF YOU WANT TO
>YOU INNOCENT PAPAYA

What did he mean by that

There is only one true Heather and I would very much like her to step on my penis.

Heather sure is lucky she died young.

It would be horrifying to watch what would happen to her AIDS infested body

The 2000 version is the version where almost no one can sing well yet they have some pretty interesting performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=BaOfBQ5uw6M

Despite the, er, "singing," Herod commands has the right tyrannical attitude at the end that the first film version just doesn't have. Like, how fucking dare you not be intimidated of me?

youtu.be/uynZrSV8Pq0

Or Judas from 1:02--1:35 here

There's nothing like a giant, screaming, leather daddy Nazi who looks like he's about to unhinge his jaw and eat somebody.

My Heather does not have AIDS! She may be a slut, but she's an intelligent slut.

Also I doubt I would have to worry about STDs if she just used her foot or gave me an angry, derisive handjob.

>his voice going from sounding like a parent counting to "10" but the kid still doesn't do it so they just keep counting higher
>until his voice just keeps getting higher pitched
>the imagery of the B-zombie movie makeup Jewish crowd demanding a bear Nazi daddy crucify Jewish
>INNOCENT PAPAYA
>that fucking weird, smarmy, "smug youth pastor" look Jesus has in this entire production

Jesus' sass reaches an unbearable height in Herod's song

His voice is actually really nice when he's not trying to sing the JCS score.

youtube.com/watch?v=RO_C2ZzdOKQ

I love it

It's funny, you're supposed to want to punch Herod during the song.

But i just wanted to tell Jesus to stop being so fucking smug

The snark and sass in this version is fucking amazing.

youtu.be/7x530xSkAdk?t=144

>Would you die for me?
>the "What'd I fucking tell you dude? Told you this shit." Judas gives Jesus
>Judas' general "fucking sick of Jesus not listening to me" attitude is great too

I've reached the conclusion that "Herod's song" is a perfect song. It's idiot proof

Even a bad rendition of it, fits the song.
If its not the AIDS is the drug addiction
McNamara is lucky she got out of the cycle
Duke is fucked

he's not very likeable in this version.

Like during Everything's Alright: In the 73 film you at least get a better sense of him being exhausted and tired at this point, but in the 2000 version there's no sense of exhaustion, just him looking whiny and UGH ANNOYED at Judas talking about feeding the poor instead of spending it on expensive ointment.

god damn it now I have to rewatch this version of JCS

I want to share the tiniest lifeboat with. McNamara

Lifeboat, you say?

>tfw there will never be animatics of Titanic: the Musical [or wait is there one but it's a furry? not sure]

sometimes I feel so old

youtu.be/dmx7KXMHl1w

Not an animatic but I stumbled upon a smaller time production of the musical. It doesn't hold up to the original at all but it has some interesting differences to the original. Like Veronica using JD's belt during Dead Girl Walking, for example. McNamara is super cute in this one too. Duke and Chandler look and sound terrible, unfortunately

youtu.be/EaaGOwtmtjU?list=PLhqQcuj5mIQC90z3TSWmsGa9zB2uS15c2

these threads always seem to die when I go to work. I hope this one sticks around a little longer

Quick, Sup Forums! Tell me your absolute favorite musical song. You can only pick one.

Don't die on me yet, dammit

youtube.com/watch?v=JsNJtTKdUec
On the subject of musicals.

"Sunday (Finale)" - Sunday in the Park with George

youtu.be/KNEUtN21cuU

When will the "Heather Mac did nothing wrong" meme die?

Man of La Mancha is beautiful

Do not sully McNamara's name.

Hey, it's Nikki Blonsky from Hairspray. Was Travolta's Edna his last good role?

>Travolta's Edna
>good

Hahaha

I honestly think Travolta did a good job.
He doesn't has the most powerful voice, but its serviceable and he dances like a mothefucker in that fat suit.

favorite to sing or favorite to hear?

I absolutely love singing Mostly Me from Book of Mormon: youtube.com/watch?v=njHiUggTjRo

My favorite song to listen to is probably George Hearn doing "My Friends." His voice is fucking amazing and I wish I had that kind of resonance when I try to sing low. Also Angela Lansbury is always amazing. youtube.com/watch?v=QIl0-Wc_c_4

Anyone who only saw the sweeney todd movie with crap-ass depp and carter needs to watch the hearn/lansbury version on youtube.

Reminder that youtube has some great full broadway musicals from back when they still struck recording/broadcasting deals (mic'd professional recording, not cams).

Pippin w/ Ben Vereen as the lead player: youtube.com/watch?v=kAp2uq_2Yp0

Into the Woods: youtube.com/watch?v=kqCsQCsinK4

There was one for the Hearn Sweeney Todd but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

You're right, she's sullied it enough already.

DELET THIS

Saw the movie finally

It...Kinda sucks

Did all writers in the 80s hate teens or something? There's a bizarre and callous disregard for their lives. I get it's a satire but it's still fucking weird.

Hell, I really wished I hadn't watched it, I kinda hate it.

I should point out I loved the musical

It's not satire, it's a black comedy. The callous disregard of human life is kinda the point.

Not saying I love the movie or anything, but that element is very much intentional.

VERONICA

Open the

Open the door, please

Veronica, can we not fight anymore

>TFW I would have opened the door and blown up the school happily

A...Am I Tumblr trash Sup Forums?

But the death of Heather Prime and the suicide attempt of the other are shown as horrifying, and then just sort of...Passed on. It's not funny, it's just awkward

The only way it's a black comedy is Veronica lighting the cigarette and the various death threats

I dunno,no really hate seeing teenagers die. They're fucking kids.

>Listening to Meant to Be Yours
>Get to the end of the song
>Realize that they just rhymed "alone" with "alone"

It's especially unsettling because they could have easily used "own" instead of the first alone.

>Don't leave me on my own
>You're all that I can trust
>I can't do this alone
>Still I will if I must

It would have worked just as well.

>it's not funny
to you

Dark comedies probably just aren't your thing.

"I'm a no-rust-buildup man myself" was pretty funny

Yes