Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?

Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
It was pretty politically neutral like 90% of the time, now it's getting pretty pander-y and sjw-y.

Other urls found in this thread:

uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B._Spencer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh yeah. Roller Derby is a bridge too far.

>Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
No, in order to do that the art would have to degrade substantially.

Yep, hating Nazis sure is SJW-y.

Hey guys I found this great new way to violently suppress opposing opinions while keeping the moral high ground. Just call anyone you disagree with nazis

Where in this comic is that implied to be what they're doing?

I doubt it's pandering. Being involved in the webcomic scene does things to people

Potato Potatoes Tomato Tomatoes.

The end results are identical, and it's the end result we get stuffed in our face.

What do you think is most likely to be the case? An all-female roller derby team going around punching actual neo-nazis or going around punching people with MAGA hats?

I agree with your sentiment but I do wonder why it's always fucking roller derby. Why not Rugby? Or hockey. OR anything else but Roller Derby when it comes to showing how girls can do rough sports too. It's cliche.

Maybe it's just an excuse to draw women in skimpy costumes and call it empowerment.

Well, pandering does seem to be the case. First an interracial lesbian couple that constantly get the spotlight despite being some of the worst characters in the comic, then Eve's male coworker becoming trans, now all this nazi-punching shit...

>Eve's male coworker becoming trans
what? when did this happen?

because it's set in the city, is an indoor sport, has a level of ironic detachment packaged into it, has a cartoonish and over-the-top culture associated with it similar to professional wrestling, etc

it just checks too many boxes if you are a metropolitan young-adult

In one of the previous chapters rival coffee shops engaged in streetfighting. It's not entirely out of the ordinary that they could punch Indiana Jones style Nazis.

>stuffed in our face

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
Open With > Notepad
127.0.0.1 www.octopuspie.com
Save Changes

Octopus pie is pretty off kilter and fun, the chance of actual nazi's is entirely possible.

I can't stand Meredith's hand-lettering

Apparently "Jackie" is Jacob as a woman. When he quits Olly's he leaves saying that he needs to "figure some stuff out", and pic related also makes it seem the case with the blond girl saying that she "REALLY likes girls" now that Jacob became one.

Also the fact that everyone knows who that person is despite this being the first time "Jackie" appears in the comic.

Hm so it's pure coincidence that they're talking about punching Nazis despite the recent popularity of "punch a Nazi" crap among the left, as well as the fact that NY is an extremely left-winged state. They're actually fighting literal nazis.

Forgot pic lel

There's literally a guy with an antifa hoodie in the first page of this arc.

I don't see Meredith taking a hard stance on the Antifa's one way or the other. Seems like she's just reflecting the attitudes of her contemporaries through tertiary characters just as she did in the early Octopie.

And the vibes have shifted over the past decade. Many have gone from "chill hipsters" with ironic detachment against young corporate yuppies to militant hardos against alt-right nimrods. Same shit, different decade.

In a way it's poignant. The changes that are actually real is the belief politic or style, but how they interact with others or come about their beliefs. Jones is still a tryhard, overly serious type but now she can channel it into antifa stuff or roller derby rather than nursing grade school beefs.

punching nazis sounds fun

Huh.

>getting pretty pander-y and sjw-y
>Octopus Pie
>getting
You are fucking retarded OP.

Representing contemporary ideals is fine, as long as more than one gets represented. Then it seems like that's the one you agree with.

Like Willis' hate on for religion and dads.

It's all fun and games until you hear someone yell "FLAMMENWERFER!"

Jacob was covered in tattoos, that woman has none. You've got a fan cannon there, friendo.

Octopus Pie takes place in a NYC and the protagonists are young people, of course their friends are multi ethnic. I agree that Marigold being bisexual came the fuck out of nowhere and her and the other girl have no arc, but nothing else about the comic is terribly pandering.

I don't know how anyone could apparently be reading Oct Pie and think that it wouldn't take a liberal position, or that that would be a new development. It's the same comic it's always been. Maybe you should think about why you seem to be noticing it now.

A creator definitely isn't obliged to make things well rounded; very few do. Whether or not you want to read that is the decision.

>Maybe you should think about why you seem to be noticing it now.

Because someone posted this thread and I like to argue about comic production. Not necessarily read them.

Well yeah, course it does.
Good clean honest fun.

But punching dickwads who are a lil bit racist, old out of touch people or weird religious shouty douche nozzles and claiming you've punched a nazi?
Balls.

They're not nazis.
They're nazi lite.
Diet nazi.
The tofu burgers hiding in the barbecue of full meaty fascism.
that makes them the antifa equivalent of vegans, and nobody like vegans.

By contemporary I meant her contemporaries. Meredith is much more likely to know and interact with people into Jones's ideals than MAGAs. I prefer it this way, she is writing what she knows and not throwing in some strawman to be knocked down, unlike Willis.

take it back to 9gag you piece of shit

But that's why we have the internet.

I've gone from watching Terf videos to watching trans positive videos in the same day. Learning about people is interesting.

Nein.

It can be, but our observations through videos alone aren't what Meredith has been about. She's an honest writer and she draws from her experiences and life in her 20's (as such, this comic is ending near Eve's 30's, as this comic was meant for this time period alone).

I respect someone for having the honesty to write about what they truly observe and reflect their world back at us.

>Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
It's not "turning into" anything.

It's ending. This is the last chapter. We're just saying goodbye to all these characters. No need to shit on it with your trendy right wing philosophy when the entire comic has been about New York twenty-somethings for the past decade.

Hey guys I found a great new way to force white supremacy into the mainstream, just play the victim card, people will surely tolerate our intolerance as long as we just play dumb.

>Jacob was covered in tattoos
I thought so too but then I looked back and it turned out he doesn't actually have that much tattoos. He just SEEMED like the kind of guy who would, but there's just one inside one arm and a couple words on the chest.

Jackie, Jacob, Jackie talking about Ollie in familiar terms despite never having seen her before, already-bisexual Julie still being on Jack's dick even when she doesn't have a dick anymore, it all adds up.

America Jones is black? I absolutely didn't pick up on that when she was introduced in the black and white strips.

there is nothing weird about this page, what the fuck are you even talking about.

Are you seriously telling me that you're surprised a comic about 20-something women, set in Brooklyn, has characters that are not so keen on nazis?

user, one of these days you have to grow up and realize not everyone you disagree with is a Nazi.

Ok, but the comic said "punch nazis" not "punc people I disagree with".
Punching Nazis is cool. Hellboy does it.
Are you saying Hellboy isn't cool?

He's referring to how her peers use "punch a nazi". When her peers use it, it really DOES mean "punch everyone who disagrees with you"

Also, "Punch a Nazi" IS fun, until you ask them what their definition of a nazi is. Because to me, a Nazi is someone who has violent ideals and has the power and the means to execute their ideology. NOT someone who has un-PC views.

tl;dr Punching Richard Spencer was fun, not so much when you extend that attitude to everyone else.

>I'm going to decide what everyone means on their behalf so I could choose to be offended by it.

Gee great avenue of discussion you've got there.

>We punch nazis
I wonder, putting aside whether or not the people punched are actually nazis or not, what exactly is the plan of people that say shit like this?
If they genuinely believe that the people they are suggesting assaulting are willing participates in genocide (assuming it's not merely an excuse used to randomly assault those that simply do not subscribe to the specific political leanings they have.) what do they think punching them is going to accomplish?
Do they think that a racist being punched is going to make them completely change their most likely deeply ingrained racial prejudices instantly? Most genuinely racist people don't even understand why they feel the way they do about other races so it's not like they can choose to not have those thoughts and in fact if they get randomly assaulted by someone of another race it will probably only deepen any negative opinions they have and that's the best case scenario, worst case that genocidal extremist ( the one that was punched not the one punching) acts like what they are and kills their assailant and possibly others.

And the supposed call to action that "nazis have to be stopped" makes no sense because just punching someone doesn't remove them from existence, if they are a threat before being punched they still are afterwards, so if these self appointed nazi hunters really wanted to do something and really have faith in their convictions that these "nazis" represent a clear and present danger they would be killing them, why take half measures unless they have doubts to the authenticity of their victims "nazi" status?

It's all fun and games until they decide that you're a nazi because of your choice of pizza toppings or something

Is Brooklyn known for having a lot of nazis or something?

You really devoting this much thought to a comic character that just said "punching nazis"?
It's nazis. Who the fuck cares if they get punched.

Bro "Nazi" means "White supremacist", okay.

It's not some secret code, there's no fucking mystery, it's just shorthand for a white supremacist. You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this.

There is literally no point in you acting the fool to this extent.

In this context it's barely even "white supremacist." It's "evil german from WWII." Based entirely on the mention of powers in one of the panels, it's basically just a comic book joke. Superheroes punching nazis is a classic cliche. Are there any actual instances of modern political tone in the other pages or are people just looking for any reason to get angry at SJWs when there's still plenty of real reasons to do so?

>punching Nazis is SJW
Boy, Inglorious Basterds sure was a SJWfest.

>You really devoting this much thought to a comic character that just said "punching nazis"?
No it just reminded me of people who have been talking about punching nazis lately.
>It's nazis
Are they though?
> Who the fuck cares if they get punched.
I think I outlined sufficiently why one should care.
Nice trips btw
So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
It seems that there is more to it than what you claim.

You're a nazi, I can now punch you

>So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
Bro you might be playing up fringe cases too much in your own head. Stop thinking every internet comment you read represents the whole of the mainstream.

It's really white supremacists. You say "Nazi", people think "White supremacist". It's the simplest thing in the world. Why did nobody care Richard Spencer got punched? Because he was a white supremacist. There. Closed book.

Octopus Pie has always been consistently apolitical despite most of the characters in the comic probably being SJW as fuck.

It also never really tried to get into the multicultural trend, at least not without being realistic.

Eve's friends know about her boss because she talked about him. You're just making shit up

>if you are a metrosexual

No, not everyone's from fucking Toronto

>Apolitical
I dunno man, it's not exactly Sinfest, but I think it's pretty clearly left leaning.
Plus Meredith Gran is pretty clearly anti-nazi.

Learn to read between the lines, Sup Forums. Not every creator is a radical centrist, and in this pussyfoot age where people are too scared to say each others name negatively, subtly is all we have to judge character.

So wait. Being a centrist is bad now? It's either Left or bust?

Bro Jackie is literally saying the phrase "from the day we met" in reference to Ollie, do you even read the fucking comic or are you only here to be the loud voice of denial about some minor character chopping her willy off with the most significant fallout being nothing more than a cute joke about how the one other minor character from Ollie's store is still obsessed with her?

>I wonder, putting aside whether or not the people punched are actually nazis or not, what exactly is the plan of people that say shit like this?

YOU BUNCH OF RETARDS.

Its a reference to that piece of shit America Lesbian Marvel comic and how she punched hittler at the end

>So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
It seems that there is more to it than what you claim.

Because it's a really convenient smokescreen argument for people with views a little more extreme than "classic conservative" who are trying to play fucking coy. No-one walks around using your theoretical situation to punch anyone. It's not to figure out where and who the fucking nazis are, most of them are on this website, and they used to have the fucking deceny to stick to their own goddamn board.

i could be reaching, but that guy with the bandana is totally the same band member from here on the bottom left

you never get a clear view of his face but i'm convinced anyway

there's a third guy but they already said larry's filling in for him

YOU FUCKING RETARD

It's a reference to the guy who punched the white supremacist on national TV, just like the marvel comic was referencing.

I guess it's pandering a bit? Uh... just a bit though? It's not a big deal

Remember that time Gran told Aaron Diaz to fuck off?

You know this roller derby team isn't going around beating up Trump supporters and later calling them Nazis, right?

This is the first and last time Nazi-punching has come up. It really is a throwaway gag about punching actual literal Nazis.

Now I know modern Sup Forums still feels threatened by this because about 30% literally think Hitler was right and another 30% think "well I don't think he was right about EVERYTHING but", but there's still none of what you're talking about in the comic.

>Hm so it's pure coincidence that they're talking about punching Nazis despite the recent popularity of "punch a Nazi" crap among the left, as well as the fact that NY is an extremely left-winged state. They're actually fighting literal nazis.

Does it ever get exhausting conjuring up things to be outraged about?

Conservatives are the most delicate fucking pussies in the world, jesus christ.

>White supremacy

Listen dude, You and I both know that what they're mad bout is the fact that everyone is so afraid of WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.

Nazis were enemy combatants that belonged to a political ideology almost 100 years ago. It was ok to punch them and hate them because they were not Americans. it is not okay to punch American citizens because of their political ideology. ever.

>Listen dude, You and I both know that what they're mad bout is the fact that everyone is so afraid of WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.
No, I don't know that, because that sounds like some retarded shit you've convinced yourself of to justify your own fragile feelings of being slighted.

>Nazis were enemy combatants that belonged to a political ideology almost 100 years ago.
And are famously characterized by their white supremacy, hence the strong association between the phrase "Nazi" and the concept of white supremacy.

>it is not okay to punch American citizens because of their political ideology. ever.

It sure sounds to me you just want people to not have to be accountable for their awful hateful shit.

"The defining trait of nazis is OBVIOUSLY that they were from another country, not their extreme violent white supremacy and mass murder."

Like that's the hill you want to die on? The arbitrary fact that nazis now cannot be American because old nazis were from another country?

>WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.
It's specifically because the white moniker was invented specifically to keep down/keep out black people/other dark skinned minorities. The Irish, Polish and Italians weren't exactly liked when they first came to America, but one, it was a lot easier for them to assimilate into America, and you wouldn't have to deal with a larger group of people kept as an underclass, especially if those people are free.
It also doesn't help that WHITE POWER was a rallying cry that's connected with terrorizing minorities because they aren't white.

The reason why Black Pride exists is because most black people in America don't know about their country of origin and have no real ties to those countries other than that, hence the name. Also, there was a time where you could slap a black man on the street for being 'uppity' and call him boy, and people got right tired of that shit.

Whenever St. Patrick's day shows up, notice how everyone remembers how Irish they are by whatever amount is in their blood? Nobody is going to care about Irish Pride, British Pride, Polish Pride, whatever.

It'd be a is different story if people were going COLORED PRIDE that recognizes everyone specifically who ISN'T one of the nationalities labeled as 'white'

>"The defining trait of nazis is OBVIOUSLY that they were from another country, not their extreme violent white supremacy and mass murder."

It doesn't matter what their defining trait is. In the US there are laws that protect even the most despicable from physical retribution for opinions. Period. An no amount of normalization of violence against your fellow Americans is going to change that law. If you hit them it is assault. No matter what they believe, if you hit them it is assault, by law.

>And are famously characterized by their white supremacy, hence the strong association between the phrase "Nazi" and the concept of white supremacy.

Still doesn't mean its a morally or legally acceptable action to lever violence against your fellow Americans for expressing their first amendment rights.

OP is actually like QC in the sense that it always sucked and if you read them, you're a massive fag.

>It's specifically because the white moniker was invented specifically to keep down/keep out black people/other dark skinned minorities.

And I get that. I'm not condoning white supremacy by any means, but the blanket association of all pride by white people in their heritage or history as being white supremacy is the reason for such backlash. I'm barely white by most standards, poor trailer trash that pulled myself out of the gutter, and yet I'm supposed to hate myself for a past that my family demonstrably suffered through. I understand that feeling of resentment and undeserved hostility, and how that can make movements that are inclusive of you even though you are white attractive.

Take away a populations right to be proud and they will be proud in their defiance of you.

The first amendment protects your speech from the government, not from other people who want you to stop being a frothing racist.
Arguing morals on that slope seems kind of unwise?

this is so amazingly perfectly dumb i wish i thought it was bait.

Yeah, that's a wonderful high ground to stand on while people advocate for the upending of the American social structure, the creation of some sort of ethnostate, and the mass deportation and/detainment of people who have the misfortune of having skin colour just a bit too dark.

If someone is just a racist douchebag then I don't really see a reason to punch them or even really engage them. For most racists its just how they are and they dont have the means or desire to act on their thoughts.
If someone is standing on the curb in a white hood or wearing nazi/white supremacist clothing and handing out pamphlets and yelling in a bullhorn why other races should be killed off, then I feel like its fair game to smash their face into a handrail.

>The first amendment protects your speech from the government

and anti battery and assault laws protect you from being attacked by your fellow Americans.

First amendment means that the police can't turn a blind eye to those laws just because of what you say, you know discrimination based on speech. It's all still connected.

Right now even hate speech and public safety laws don't let you hit someone for what they say, unless it's "I'm going to kill you with this knife here"

>Yeah, that's a wonderful high ground to stand on while people advocate for the upending of the American social structure, the creation of some sort of ethnostate, and the mass deportation and/detainment of people who have the misfortune of having skin colour just a bit too dark.

what national party is saying all that? Or even state party? are you sure you're not just arguing with ethonationalists on the internet?

The first amendment does not protect speech that endangers others. How many Indians-mistaken-for-Arabs need to get fucked up or black people need to get stabbed by a sword (a fucking SWORD) because a guy got mad at being cucked before you wise up?

>It's nazis. Who the fuck cares if they get punched.

the law. they're still Americans and deserve its protection, regardless of what beliefs they hold.
That's like saying "they're islamists who cares if they get punched". It doesn't matter what they believe, as citizens they are entitled to equal protection under the law.

>The first amendment does not protect speech that endangers others.

Define "endanger" because I seem to remember a court case that upheld the KKK's freedom to march openly and publicly without fear of violence against them.

Actually I found the actual limitation,

" The U.S. Supreme Court insists that the First Amendment protects hate speech unless it constitutes a “ true threat” or will incite imminent lawless action."

so you have to me baking a direct threat of violence towards a particular person within earshot, or be attempting to incite immediate lawless action, such as calling for building to be burned or people to be killed for particular reasons. OH WAIT LIKE SAYING ITS OK TO PUNCH PEOPLE.

uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does

> Freedom of speech does not include the right:
> To incite actions that would harm others

Very straightforward.

And I noticed you decided to stick strictly to legality, even though you ALSO brought up morality. Surely you know those two are not necessarily synonymous. How is it any more moral for me to simply accept someone spreading rhetoric that is actually getting people killed? It was fucked up enough when that kid mass murdered a black church, but christ, stabbing a homeless black guy with a sword? Christ.

This.

>Because he was a white supremacist
Was he?
I'm unfamiliar with him except for the video of him getting punched

Being anti-nazi hardly makes you left wing.
But I do agree that comic probably does lean left wing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B._Spencer

Remember that time she cheated on that 'bad boys of computer science' guy, and he got angsty about it for awhile, and then the comic output slowly dropped and he had hosting issues and eventually the whole thing fell off at the wayside?

No seriously, does anyone remember this? Heck, I'd be half-tempted to dismiss the BBoCS comic as being a mostly-forgotten fever dream if it weren't for scraps of mentions in a few places and an old megatokyo guest strip, so particular drama bits are fuzzy at best.

I'm pretty sure it isn't and even that was a reference to captain america.
I was referring to the shit like #punchnazis shit that was popular a few weeks back and the mentality that 1:everyone to the political left of you is a nazi and 2:being a nazi (see 1) justifies assault

These same people think the president is a nazi

>implying that doesn't apply to new york, montreal, vancouver, seattle literally any big city that has even a moderately shitty winter

So what you're suggesting is that is fine and dandy to murder people if they say publish a comic that mocks your religion as long as you're not wearing a badge while doing it?

Wait what?
This is the most interesting thing I've read in this thread so far.

>speech that endangers others
Are the alleged nazis preparing an incantation?

Assault is a crime already there is no need to ban words