How come there hasn't been a good Batman book since this?

How come there hasn't been a good Batman book since this?

I wish I could tell you that you're wrong. The first arc of Detective Rebirth wasn't too bad, but still would have been better with full on Pre-nu52 versions of everyone. Batman Inc was good for the first half, then the nu52 fucked that right up.

Except Tomasi's Batman and Robin was amazing.
Snyder's Batman was amazing
Tom King's Batman is fucking amazing
Snyder's All Star Batman is great
Tynion's Detective Comics is amazing

So you're absolutely wrong.

>Tynion's Detective Comics is amazing

wew

>that podcast where Morrison talks about how he would have liked write them for 10 years

>Snyder's batman was amazing
So amazing that it had me drop all bat related titles during the while of new 52, truly it was amazing how awful that writer's batman has been.

the world could never be so perfect
I wonder what other kind of stories he would've gotten in to with just Dick & Damian.

All those references in that last Nightwing issue. shiet I love it

I enjoyed the Zero Year arc

If nothing else, Capullo's art was fantastic the entire way through

Absolute edition when tho

obligatory

No one is denying that, but the man might as well be the Bendis of DC. A shit writer who is carried by the artist. The only saving grace from Snyder's batman has been the art everything else can go right into the trash

Wow. I didn't like Snyder's stories after his detective run but he's no where near as bad as Bendis has been

He told a cohesive story that set things up and paid off and concluded well. Art is pretty great the whole way through, though it would have been cool if Quietly had the stamina to draw the whole thing. At least we got those great covers.

Not as bad, I don't think anyone will be as bad for a long time, but he's in the same circle of writers whom I refuse to buy, Austin, Slott, Snyder, Bendis and Way, each of these writers is pure toxic and I avoid any current comic with their names on it.

Now, that's not to say that haven't written anything good in the past, but everything in the past five years has been garbage.

Court of Owls impressed me until Batman was fighting Owlman on a goddamn airplane wing. Snyder likes to go over the top. Sometimes it works, but mostly it's just silly.

This is still my favorite Morrison batbook even if it's kinda short

I felt like the story was disappointing, maybe I just expected too much because the premise - Dick becomes Batman - was such an obvious one but they'd never actually done it AFIK.

And instead of being about Dick as Batman it seemed to be mostly about this new kid I didn't really care about.

I'm surprised they haven't announced any Snyderbats Omnibus yet.

To me the story was less about Dick trying to fill Bruce's shoes but instead make Batman and Robin work in a way that best complimented his skills and abilities.

I liked CoO up until the final act, the whole bit with Lincoln maybe being Bruce brother maybe not was just awful. And Snyder seemed to have that same ending for each of his arcs the big glaring question mark.

>I used to ask myself. 'Who am i!?"
>who who who
>get it? Like an owl!!

Yes Scott, we got that from the moment you used the word Who, thanks for beating me over the head with it.

Also, I'm pretty casual to Batman's history, but wasn't the Court of Owls just a knock off version of some council of spiders? I mean, cool idea, sure, awful execution, the idea that batman would just discount the court as being an urban legend when he himself is an urban legend seem really forced.

>Tom King's Batman is fucking amazing

It's been ok. Definitively not amazing.

it was neat that it did three-issue arcs. Shame it didn't really catch on

I'd say pre-Flashpoint Batman Inc. is the peak of that era's Bat books but there is no denying that it's the best era of the Bat Universe ever and will likely never be topped.

>hack morrison
>downs' quitely
What a joy to read.

>the Bendis of DC
Geoff

Snyder is the Slott.

>being this autistic

>Dick becomes Batman - was such an obvious one but they'd never actually done it AFIK.
Batman: Prodigal came out in the 90's. It bridged the gap between Knightfall and Bruce's return (and the first Nightwing mini). It wasn't very good.

because we get shit like instead

check out this nigga. looks like someone started with new 52.

Lmfao

How has All-Star Batman been? Anyone know where I can download that?

mediocre

art's good though

>How come there hasn't been a Batman book as good as this since then?
fixed it for you
answer: because it's GOAT

good batbooks since then: Tomasi's B&R, Layman's Detective, Snyder's Detective, Batman and All-Star, Batman Inc vol 1+2, King's Batman, Dini's Streets of Gotham

I'm pretty sure that 90% of you fags who constantly rant about King/Snyder/Tynion do so because you are butt-blasted 'not muh' Morrison babbies
I get it, I really do
Morrison's Batman is probably my favorite comic run ever
But it's well past time to let it go, and let other writers make their mark on Batman

Snyder's run is basically Morrison's only not as good

King's run is decent but not as good as we've come to expect from him

Tynion is hot garbage

I'll concede that the Court of Owls is very similar to the Black Glove, with a returning 'family member', too, but how is the rest of Snyder's run like Morrison's?
Please enlighten me

>Snyder's Batman was amazing
>Tom King's Batman is fucking amazing
>Snyder's All Star Batman is great
>Tynion's Detective Comics is amazing
Cancer.

>He'll never come back
Kill me now bros

>Now that your back
>your

Objectively speaking it's ok, but I just can't get past how it rewrote the origins of Batman, Joker and Riddler and made them all inferior to how they were.

Death of the Family and Endgame both lift heavily from RIP and the last couple arcs of Batman and Robin, and Superheavy obviously follows the same concept as Batman and Robin

true

there are some legitimate problems with Snyder's run, mostly involving him not knowing how to end an arc and not knowing how to shut up and let the art do the work sometimes. But also it had a lot of pretty blatant similarities with Morrison's run, and the fact that it came immediately after made them all the more apparent

ill only give you Tomasi

>Death of the Family and Endgame both lift heavily from RIP and the last couple arcs of Batman and Robin, Superheavy obviously follows the same concept as Batman and Robin

as in 'killing' and replacing the main hero? it has happened to almost every major character in the last ten years, it's not like Morrison came up with this idea

>it's not like Morrison came up with this idea
no, but to do it again with the same character in the very next run just seems like copying

Doesnt morrison imply batman is a pedophile in all of b&r

not even copying, but more so that snyder in some ways was trying to assert that his idea of how the batman mantle/concept is superior since gordon as batman came so quickly after dickbats. it felt weird and read poorly.

Snyder and King are okay but you're right not as good as Morrison

Hey fellas,

I'm new to reading batman. Where should I start? (And what should I skip)

no... because he's dead for most of Morrison's run

he's alive for most of it. Morrison only wrote Batman and Robin for 16 issues

IMO the BatGordon run was played for laughs in many ways (even the comic ridiculed the bunny ears), and Bruce appeared alive in like two issues into it
Even with the armor, Gordon could never be a real Batman, it was just a detour, and an excuse to let Capullo draw giant robots and monsters

Tomasi's batman and robin was good.
I don't have a hate-on for Snyder like most but his Batman was mediocre at best and bad at worst and certainly you must be jesting saying Tynion's TEC is good

Well there you have it OP, it's because Batfags all have shitty taste like

>A shit writer who is carried by the artist
Difference is Snyder knows how to work with an artist and does a good job of building scripts around their strengths. He's not going to write the same script for JOCK that he would for JRJR, he actually builds a working relationship with his co-creators

Bendis just sends in scripts, no relationship. Bryan Hitch talked about how awful the feedback was on Age of Ultron, he didn't even know how long the comic was. Neither Bendis or Marvel editorial thought that was important enough to tell him, he found out from seeing an add for the fucking comic he was working on

Batman and Robin was only worth reading for the 3 issues Quietly did

the Frazer Irving issues were pretty top-tier

I'll give you Tomasi but Snyder and Tom kings are good but have a bunch of problems Tynion book is just shit and the fact that he and Snyder co wrote Eternal doesn't help

While I have problems with his writing, I respect him for this
Capullo's art has never been as good as it was on Batman
The recent one-shot All-Star issues were cool, too

I noticed that do hell I even read some guy saying Court of owls was better than black glove because there more Devi ed or some shit, which was retarded since The glove being mysteriously was kinda the point

Long Halloween
Dark Victory
complete Morrison run

I think the Loeb/Sale material is great to just get the gist of Batman without having to delve into the terrible 1950s onward garbage with the exception of O'Neil Adams stuff

if you wanna read old stuff Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns Knightfall, No Man's Land, Hush

pleb

now that's what i call shitposting.

I'm assuming you've already read the more popular ones so I'll skip them. Also more Bat-Family than Batman, but you should definitely check out a trade called BATGIRL/ROBIN: YEAR ONE. I just finished reading it and it's really good.

...but if the trade absolutely has to be focused on Batman:

-Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle Vol 1
-Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1
-Batman by Ed Brubaker Vol 1 & 2
-Batman: The Black Mirror
-Batman: Gothic
-Batman: Blink

had i known what black mirror would spawn i would not have purchased them originally as monthly titles.

Never understood the fascination with this. His Batman was so much better.

Maybe if you fucks didn't talk about it like it was the second coming I would have liked it more.

>outstanding art for like half of it
>strongest and most cohesive story in the run
>Professor Pyg is one of the best original villains from the past 20~ years
>excellent Joker with a genuinely good reveal
>great central relationship between Dick and Damian
>3 issue arcs make it fast-paced
>while a larger overarching story allows for depth
there you go

I remember Joker in a tophat and mask, and I remember the Irving issues because he makes everything great. Nothing else was worthy of the ridiculously monumental praise it gets above the rest of Morrison's work on the franchise.

I think it's mostly because B&R was Morrison-weird but still fairly straightforward, unlike Incorporated and RIP, which could veer into too weird, and Batman and Son and The Black Glove, which were pretty standard stories. And honestly, the pacing's effect on the story compared to the rest of the run cannot be understated. The rest of the run is fairly standard comic book pacing, but those 3 issue arcs give B&R a pretty relentless pace. Compare, for instance, to Tom King's run, who's also doing a 15-issue mega-arc, but the individual arcs are 5 issues so it seems a lot slower, despite double shipping.

It was just an interesting, well-written take on the overall Batman mythos from a different perspective than we're used to, with strong characters on both sides of the morality spectrum.

And that's not even getting into Quitely and Irving's stellar art.

>Calling bronze age garbage
>But recommending Loeb books, Knightfall and NML.

You are goddamned right
I've been waiting since then for a writer who works in three issue arcs, but no one has done it IIRC
Compare this to Rebirth where every single comic has 5-6-7 issue arcs

>ctrl+f
>no Batman odyssey

Their "mark" has been Harper Row, Duke Thomas, and a suicidal cutter Batman who is crying out for his mommy constantly. Any fan of Batman would have a hard time letting that go, and probably shouldn't.