Guillermo del Toro Thinks Most Modern Monster Flicks Are Too 'Ironic' to Work

io9.gizmodo.com/guillermo-del-toro-thinks-most-modern-monster-flicks-ar-1820982902

>In an interview with ScreenRant, del Toro was asked why it’s so hard for the most recent monster movie reboots to succeed like their 20th century counterparts.

>"I think that there is a postmodern attitude towards the genre that tries to disarm or disassemble the genre in a postmodern way and I think that when you approach characters with earnest love, it’s a lot less safe because you’re not above the material. You are high on your own supply and it’s easier to be ironic, so I think that’s part of it."

I can't disagree, I also would add this: Less is more. Bad horror films these days are a combination of CGI (usually not the best quality) plus everything is in-your-face and you see everything immediately. The best monsters always hide in the shadows most the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeductiveMummy
youtube.com/watch?v=2fRbdbgd_oM
youtube.com/watch?v=DruCG3LJiiU
yahoo.com/entertainment/mummy-star-sofia-boutella-reveals-bloody-set-injury-190730437.html
imdb.com/title/tt0080402/
imdb.com/title/tt0127919/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's not wrong. I didn't see the shitty looking new King Kong for this reason, and it kept me from completely enjoying the new 'It' as well. Studios are just carrying this postmodern ironic snarkiness over from capeshit and trying to use it all across the board because it's easy.

>le postmodern is bad le sort yourself out
wow who knew he was actually such a dipshit

the problem is fear noone fears a liuttle indian bbitch oyu need big hard cocks to strike fear noadays

GIV MUMMY GF

no

giv me mumy pusy

>Defending postmodern thought

Found the soyboy

all dirty and slimey

what the fuck does that even mean

>Indian

Shes North African you retard

Based giv posters!

I can't disagree either. Just take a look at any of the attempts to re-launch the universal monster films. Dracula attempted to make him some kind of fucking tragic action hero. Frankenstein, ditto. The Mummy tried to make her a waifu. There always has to be a twist, a little nudge that says "we're not JUST making a DUMB monster movie, but-"

only the mouse shuld do reboots

It means most modern filmmakers gotta use the story to tell some SJW bullshit or they feel nervous about using classic horror tropes so they try to do everything opposite which of course leads to total failure

>these digs
Only our mummyfu princess Ahmanet could make them happen.
Also, mummy (1932) was more of a gothic romantic story, involving a monster who wasn't really a monster.
Moreover, many mummy novels and stories written between XIX and XX century used, now rather forgotten, "Seductive Mummy" trope.

good digits for a good post, he's right, it's risky to make a genuine monster movie
part of it also seems to be that audiences are too cynical for straight monster movies. The awe, fear, wonder, whatever you want to call it, has been sucked out of movies through oversaturation. Now every flick is constantly reminding you "heh its a movie get it" and it just destroys the thing.

too much dishonesty

Wankers shouldn't think themselves more clever than they actually are.

It means that no one wants to put their skin in the game. Monster flicks, comic book films - they're all "dorky" and "lesser". It's subject matter for kids. So to save ego, and to tell the public HEY IT'S OK TO WATCH THIS, you deconstruct.

Too many faggots trying to make a name for themselves with their oh so great and deep twists on classic characters. You can smell the smug whenever one of these people are interviewed how they try to talk about the finer nuances of the characters and then the movie releases and its like a 4/10 piece of shit.

>mummy novels and stories written between XIX and XX century
Could you recommend a few? I'm familiar with vampire fiction, and even werewolf fiction to an extent, but I am almost entirely ignorant of mummy fiction in literature.

i will be the one to simply say it
inb4 Sup Forums
these movies are just too "jewish"
european sensibility is so much more earnest and romantic but it's obviously not in control or in vogue so it's all but vanished

jews control hollywood
jews love deconstruction and subversion and nitpicky ironic sarcastic stuff
whites like grandiosity and heartfelt spectacle, archetypes and true human passion

now watch me get banned

I always wanted to see an actual scary mummy film.

Funny enough the Brendan Fraser Mummy film was actually pretty tense and scary right up until the mummy itself comes alive where the film becomes an adventure-comedy plot at that point.

I remember walking through the mummy ride que at universal studios, you are in a dark abandoned underground mummy crypt, you see abandoned archaeological equipment everywhere, like the archaeologists disappeared or abandoned the dig, you see mummy sarcophagus' with outward-blown holes like the creature inside punched itself out, and the speakers play spooky sounds in the shadows

The idea of archaeologists in a dark underground ruin with a mummy hunting them in the shadows would be so goat

Because only capeshit and ghost movies sell

Roasties only like ghosts and demons, or very maybe, Saw clones. They see a real monster and be like "Ummm sweetie that's not realistic, hmm, like demons, cause I know those be real, but real monster are, hmmm, fake, are people like stupid, haha?"

You do realize most the founders of movie studios in the 1910's and 20's were Jewish right? You can't complain everything has gone Jewish now, since it has always been Jewish

what if mummyfu fucked you in her degraded not fully recovered state from the middle of the movie and around her pussy she was missing flesh like on her nose and cheek and you could see your dick going in and out of her silky rotten insides

that would be soooo gross huh guys haha

>The Mummy tried to make her a waifu.
No, she was a stronk womyn who slays the shitty men. They even made her look ugly, like Gwyneth in Thor:R.

If she was actually hot the movie would have been less of a flop

adaptations of old campy horror all fall into the same trap that has resulted in the stagnant "blockbuster" film industry we see today which has basically been reduced to gritty reboot or superhero movie

>Moreover, many mummy novels and stories written between XIX and XX century used, now rather forgotten, "Seductive Mummy" trope
The Brandon Fraser movies didn't

they were involved since the beginning yes
but their influence and control is now absolute

She was super fucking hot, actually, dude.

And The Mummy had some great scenes, to be honest. The whole psychic mindfuck invasion aspect of this scene, too. And presenting herself in a completely sympathetic way, thanking him. And that's like the basis for her connection with him. I liked it.

but I like monster girls (cause the monster is on the outside)

You were saying?

mummy horny michael

>Guillermo del Toro Thinks

Not enough

>She was super fucking hot, actually, dude.
You only think that because the media tells you women like her are beautiful.

>mindfuck scenes
Like your webm? That was pathetic

Did you start watching flicks last year?

Funny how any woman can look Egyptian with just giving them that eyeliner

She's not a mummy you cunt

If you watched the movie she actually became one later in the movie

If YOU actually watched the movie you would know being mummified doesn't make you a mummy. She was just a prisoner ya cunt. Clean your room.

It's kinda hypocritical that it is coming from guy that turn Evangelion in to fuckin Pacific Rim

there was nothing ironic about the new IT though

you mean the Jews? yeah I'm a virulent anti-semite and white supremacist and I wouldn't have children with Sofia but I think she's pretty beautiful, and not because any Jews told me to. Also I mean a mindfuck in the sense of it being Tom being mentally invaded by her.

There was nothing post modern or ironic about pacific rim though. It was 100% pure earnestness. Which was probably it's saving grace.

Oh boy I can't wait for the sequel to be exactly the opposite

WUR REDY

She awakens later and is a walking undead mummy, you dunce

IT was a sincere adaptation. The only fault of the film is that it wasn't edgy enough. There was next to 0 racial and sexual violence.

stop being ironic

I was talking about novels written between 1800s and 1900s not Indiana Jones ripoff movie.
>tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeductiveMummy
Sadly not many there. I would recommend only Bram Stoker - "Jewel of Seven Stars" and damn be forgot author, title is "The Unseen Man Story" and its from like 1890s.

Guillermo is talking about an ironic attitude, not literal irony, and the new IT movie had plenty of that, winking at the audience to remind them it's just a movie, because the filmmakers want to hide their lack of creative confidence behind a "cool" facade.

You're so fucking stupid. She's not a mummy.

This.
Make a movie about a muscly tall black nympho guy with a 12 inch cock.
He goes around picking up white woman who have a wholesome marriage with kids but that cant resist when they see the bulge in his pants.

People will be so terrified of this movie they will be scared to go watch it.
Have all the aesthetic and cinematography use horror lighting editing sounds etc..

But PR is not Eva but a kaiju movie with robutts.
A decent one at that.

It was not wholly sincere, the rock fight in particular comes to mind, but there were plenty of quippy and wall-breaking moments throughout.

Fourth-wall-breaking**

not that user, but she is. She was mummified alive as her punishment, the bad-guy priest mummy was trying to fully resurrect her

>drooling retard
At least shut up when you are rightfully shown to be wrong and put in your place.

She is. Whole story is about high priest Imhotep trying to resurrect his girl. As every wealthy Egyptian, she has been mummified. Imhotep steals her mummy to bring her to life, but is interrupted by pharaohs guards.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Did you even watch the movie?

You really should watch movies before commenting on them

He’s not wrong, but conversely, del Toro “monster flicks” are too high-brow, fanciful, artsy, pretentious, and up their own ass to work. They lose any and all horror aspects. They aren’t scary.

It was called Get Out, it made 100 million worldwide

Yeah.

do you have a dog in this fight? why get so vicious with me?
i haven't said anything outlandish or false

>do you have a dog in this fight?
go to bed mel, it's like 11 on the west coast

It's shitty CGI (It looks like garbage), boring music, jumpscares, complete lack of atmosphere.
Horror films were the best in the 70s.

It's baffling how unscary is the new It. Even people who liked the movie liked it because of the kids and their relationship.

go tell that to /lit/ DFW, they need it worse than Sup Forums does

>Horror films were the best in the 70s.

1970's Nosferatu opening:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fRbdbgd_oM

Show me a horror movie opening more scary than that

Sup Forums's biggest Mummy enthusiast here, AMA. Will answer and explain everything.

Indeed.
>Bram Stoker (Dracula guy) "Jewel of Seven Stars"
>Jane Loudon "The Mummy"
>Edgar Allan Poe - "Some Words With Mummy"
>Julian Hawthorne - "The Unseen Man Story"
>Henrietta Dorothy Everett - "Iras"
These should be good. Mummy in fiction is very very rare compared to vampires.
Brendan Fraser "Mummy" is loose reboot/remake of 1940 "The Mummys Hand", not 1932 "The Mummy"
It takes a lot of Indiana Jones feeling, but adds more comedic tone.
Check older mummy movies for 'horror' tones.
She was supposed to be more human and seductive, audience should root for her.
She dies and is mummified. Every rich Egyptian was mummified.
Being mummified makes you a mummy - mummy is dried, well perserved body. Mummification process is all about removing internal organs (apart heart) and drying body to keep it from decaying.

Any mummy vagina shots in cinema?

>postmodern
Did someone say Bauhaus?

Del Toro used Get Out as an example of an earnest horror film that doesn’t follow the trend of being ironic. What are the “post-modern” horror/monster movies that he is referring to?

Not really, but "Blood from Mummys Tomb" 1971 got underboob shot.

He's right on the money.

>Del Toro used Get Out as an example of an earnest horror film that doesn’t follow the trend of being ironic
Really? Lol, what a retard

Bauhaus is modernist and 100% honest, so I don't know what is he raving about.

nice
nice and sexy
post more mummy belly mmm

Why everyone compares new movie to 1999 one?
They said it many times, it's totally new take.
Even in 1st seconds You get a HUGE QUOTE from original 1932. Pic-Related.

>The awe, fear, wonder, whatever you want to call it, has been sucked out of movies through oversaturation.
Sad because a Mummy movie would have been a good opportunity for some gruesome deaths.

>I think that when you approach characters with earnest love, it’s a lot less safe because you’re not above the material. You are high on your own supply and it’s easier to be ironic, so I think that’s part of it. But then you have ambivalent things like Jordan Peele nailing it and making it not ironic, but reflexive. And he’s a fusion of reverence and intelligence. It’s a good year for the genre for sure

Battle Angel Alita's going to blow.

>get out
>you have ambivalent things like Jordan Peele nailing it and making it not ironic, but reflexive. And he’s a fusion of reverence and intelligence.
really sounds fucking pretentious

>5,000 year old lick
somehow very arousing

>Being mummified makes you a mummy - mummy is dried, well perserved body. Mummification process is all about removing internal organs (apart heart) and drying body to keep it from decaying.
I thought about that when I saw nu-mummy.
They said she was mummified alive but in reality she was just wrapped in bandages and buried alive. They could at least have shown some brain scrambling.

>They could at least have shown some brain scrambling.

She is a woman so that would be literal rape

Not really gruesome. Almost always mummy kills by strangling people. In 1932 mummy kills by magic of something, but all later movies is't just strangling people to death.
Only 3000-3500 YO. In movie it's stated New Kingdom, which was around 1500-1070BC
Mummification alive is technically impossible and it was created for 1932 movie, then repeated for decades. They probably though it gonna sound creepy.

you mean who knew he was actually this based

He thinks people who make horror films spend too much time metaphorically winking at the audience to show them that they're above the genre in some way. Started very broadly with Scream, and then continued in some form or another with Cabin in the Woods.

It's hard to make a legitimately scary movie when you essentially have a disdain for what scary movies of the past did effectively to entertain people. They try so hard to subvert tropes that it messes with the movie. It detaches you from the subject matter in a way where you aren't authentically telling a story, but rather you're inserting jokes about teens getting killed while they go off to have sex or whatever.

i would have respected this opinion more if he didnt use get out as an example

Mummy deaths don't have to come from the Mummy itself killing people. You can have things like the scarabs of the Brendan Frasier movies. Those were wicked.

CGI and shitty music are the biggest problems of modern horrors (or maybe even modern films).
>haha, we have CGI, we can now do everything
>make a shitty video game
>haha, we have Zimmer, we can do everything!
>make shitty Zimmersque music
Planet of the Apes (1968) have a more scary atmosphere and soundtrack than all modern horror movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=DruCG3LJiiU

>Mummification alive is technically impossible and it was created for 1932 movie
Well, I mean they could start the mummification process when a person is alive, but they would die pretty quickly. So you could say they would have been mummified alive that way.

Or, seeing as at least in nu-mummies case she's some sort of evil god that can't easily die, they could have had this really neat horrifying mummification scene of her organs getting removed and shit while she screams in agony(in fact didn't they have at least some creepy tongue cutting in Brendan's Mummy?). That would have been pretty haunting and freaky. But no, gotta have PG-13 wacky cartoon Hyde.

You watch old movies, we get it. Jeez

I'm not sure the word "ironic" is the right word.

Most horror movies aren't really horrific, they tend to be "creepy" and metaphorical rather than actually striking terror into the viewer. It doesnt help that people try and lower the horror.

>The Thing
>first horror scene is straight up a dog getting mauled and screaming and bleeding and oozing and tentacles whipping around

>It Follows
>first horror scene I can remember is the person following the girl and boy in the parking garage

>Nu The Thing
>practical effects were deemed too scary, so they went cgi

>I only watch quality films like the Force Awakens and the newest Marvel flick!!!

its obvious hollywood ran out of ideas so they just recycling from other movies
now its nothing but pure easy propaganda and fun dumb blockbuster movie

>“You have ambivalent things, like Jordan Peele nailing it [with Get Out] and making it not ironic, but reflexive. And he’s a fusion of reverence and intelligence,” del Toro added.

i dont understand this, can someone explain.

Ye and since she was immortal, organs removal would be extremally painful, but still not really harmful. PG-13 always kills movies.
Fun fact is, Sofia got really bloody during 'mummification' scene.
>yahoo.com/entertainment/mummy-star-sofia-boutella-reveals-bloody-set-injury-190730437.html
Yes, that too. Also if You really want wicked deaths in mummy movies, I suggest 1980 "The Awakening" or "Tale of Mummy" (but it is shitty movie)
>imdb.com/title/tt0080402/
>imdb.com/title/tt0127919/

I think he’s saying that instead of Get Out being a film that’s ironic and making fun of genre tropes, it just goes with it. The movie has comedic elements but is never Scream or Cabin in the Woods style of genre parody. The film is conscious of the fact that it’s covering old territory (Stepford Wives, Body Snatchers) but instead of making fun of where it comes from, it pays homage and uses these familiar elements in a new context. But I could be wrong, his comment is frustratingly vague.

>You are high on your own supply

he's one to fucking talk