Me Marvel

How do we fix, Ms Marvel, Sup Forums?

She use to be in the top 100 selling comics but now has fallen off. People don't care about her as much as they use to. No one talks about her. Why? What happened? What can be fixed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua
cbr.com/original-wolverine-hulk-return-marvel-generations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

its over

Her book started to feel too safe for me.
She doesn't ever seem to face anything too dangerous. Aside from the end of the fucking universe in Secret Wars, who was her biggest challenge?

The lameass Brotherhood of Inhumans weren't dangerous, fuck, she faced off againts HYDRA and Faustus, and even they came across toothless and neutered.

There was some drama during Civil War, but goddammit, do we really have to wait a shitty event for something of meaning to happen?

Fewer WORLD SHATTERING tie ins.

Let her develop some GOOD rogues.

She started appearing in too many places outside her solo and lost a lot of appeal. Only her solo book writer seems to know how to write without her character being a trope.

Because she's the flavour of the weak.

nothing ever happens in the book there's no action and there's no drama

This, basically. Tie in events fucking ruin everything.

Stop with the constant events... They're the main thing scaring off the new readers Kamala appealed to

Willow is a really boring writer

>relaunch
>focus on reusing her villains like Becky, Kaboom and Kamran
>ignore Champions and Inhumans since her supporting cast is already pretty solid
>no tie-ins
>she start dating Bruno because that's the endgame anyway

Nothing, the character wasn't designed for conventional heroics but more to combat racism in comics and highlight a Muslim teen is just as regular as most other teens despite cultural heritages/traditions.

She's a prop character first who's cultural backgrounds is more important first than her identity as a hero and she was set up for the fall because of this. He'll even the OP picture shows she's used as a political mouthpiece.

We fix her by making her a hero first and have that clash with her restrictive family/religious life. Torn between the two responsibilities she must choose and in the end get married off in some arrangement outside of her control.

Stuff her in a fridge, where ALL women belong

>her restrictive family

Huh? Do you even read this comic?

>everyone complaining about tie ins when she only had one
>champions and Inhumans are never brought up
>he side cast still appear in every chapter

Maybe she just isn't as popular as you thought? Maybe she can't sustain a top 100 readership for over 15 chapters.

She's a token so she got boring, because the writers think about the message first and the character second.

>I don't read comics: the post
What you described as "fixing" Kamala is already the case. Her original series before the renumbering was good, she only went to shit when every writer suddenly was required to shove her in their book, and the CW2 tie-ins threw her story off-track. The only "political" things she's done is the election issue (from the OP pic) which of course it's fucking political it's about voting, though it doesn't take a side and it's more about how people should vote instead of blowing it off.

Kamala being an American-born Pakistani Muslim is as important as Matt Murdock being an American-born Irish Catholic.

Of course that user doesn't read the comic, but I'm sure that user made sure to get his opinion from someone who claims they did.

We already did.

Give her some decent villains.

Make her powers less shitty (maybe even give her a power boost). Something other than MAKE HANDS BIG #3491

>Let's not tell your father though, for what you're doing is technically haram

you twit.

Civil war 2. They made her go full retard and now her story has a bunch of stupid shit in it.

>God
>not Allah

>>champions and Inhumans are never brought up
Oh, look. It's the same Sup Forumsntrarian who's never actually read the comic!

Allah is the Arabic word referring to God in Abrahamic religions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

Have her convert to Christianity.

Most religions use the word God. Only Protestants get butthurt about the word.

Yes but they use "Allah" instead of "god" when speaking about their god like "thank Allah" and not "thank god".

Champions never come up. The Inhumans haven't been mention since the last volume.Unless you think a chapter from 2014 effects the relaunch sales three years later it doesn't matter.

These, basically.

The entire appeal of the character was that she was a street level teen with a wacky personal life and an interesting circle of friends and family ... all of which gets sidelined when she has to deal with the fucking End Of The World; or Civil War II; or Inhumans Vs X-Men; or Secret Empire; or ...

The solo's actually been back on track (although I'm not fond of the current cover artist); but they already lost a lot of readers with CWII and that fucking pointless Get Out The Vote VERY SPECIAL EPISODE.

Also Marble Generations is supposed to team up all the "Legacies" so it's gonna be a Kamala/Carol book and Carol's been fucking cancer for years even before CWII turned the dial up to 11 and broke off the fucking knob.

>Yes but they use "Allah" instead of "god" when speaking about their god
Sorta like Christians say 'thank Jesus' rather than 'thank Yeshua'? Or think that Christ was his last name rather than a title meaning "the anointed one"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua

I WANT TO KISS KAMALA!

>Carol's been fucking cancer for years even before CWII turned the dial up to 11 and broke off the fucking knob.

Which is exactly why she's getting paired with Pre-Captain Carol for that exercise

Personally, I think this would've been an excellent excuse and time for Kamala to find a new role model in Monica

I don't like it when people use the human name for Christ of Nazareth, mostly because we share the same human name.

>she's getting paired with Pre-Captain Carol
Where are you getting this from? All I've seen is the characters and the writer for the various teams (as well as some art for Whor/Odinson) and this bit:

“At its heart, ‘Ms Marvel’ is about growing up, and a big part of growing up is discovering that your idols have feet of clay — and forgiving them for their flaws as you gain an adult understanding of your own,” G. Willow Wilson said of her pairing, which has already caused head-scratching among Kamala Khan and Carol Danvers fans alike “Carol and Kamala have a close, mentor-and-student kind of relationship, but it’s been tested in some very serious ways. They’ve come down on opposite sides of important questions.”

Sauce:
cbr.com/original-wolverine-hulk-return-marvel-generations/

It's the fact that it came out AFTER the election that damned it.

These anons get it. Give her some time to focus on HER book, HER supporting characters, and building up a set of unique rogues. The sentient virus she's got going on right now is pretty cool, more of that.

Having to COMPLETELY STOP EVERYTHING whenever there's an event just kills the feel and flow of the book.

She really needs a new mentor, possibly one that is very different from Carol. You know who would be great for that role and could also help Kamala improving her powers? Mystique

>it came out AFTER the election
No it would have been a shitty Very Special Episode filler issue regardless; but coming out late like that was really the shit cherry on top of the shit sundae.

Why are people acting like Ms Marvel had any other tie ins other than CW2?
Because it didn't though.

unless the one more day her back to the underdog status
i just couldn't give a shit about another avenger.

Take her the fuck away from other writers who just want to push an agenda at the expense of her characters.

You think anybody who reads Champions actually knows what she's like? She's a hollow speech shouting shitheel in those books with none of her charm or personality to give those things meaning. She's as hollow as Captain America in that shitty Avengers Assembled cartoon, only somehow worse because of how self fellating she and the others are about themselves. The original book was plenty political, she fought terrorists for fucks sake, but it kept the charm and unique outlook of the character for all of it to actually mean something. Without that, we have this self righteous teenager who thinks she knows better than everyone and that the universe will break it's back to prove right.

FUCK
THE
TIE IN
BOOKS

They are counting events she was in despite there being no tie in or mention in her own book.

too bad Marvel killed-off every single mutant

I want Kamala to fart in my face

This exactly what I'm talking about, her book wasn't political, she's had had tie ins issues to one event, and after the book went right back to focusing on the regular stuff.
Do you people even read the damn comic? Because everyone is talking about stuff that doesn't even happen in it.

People throw out the election thing like Marvel caused, but consider Willow went on a huge rant because Ike donated to a trump related thing I pretty sure she wanted to do that chapter.

How about we just stop reading comics?

>main character is not a pure white Aryan male

it is SJW shit

>her book wasn't political,

Bullllshiitttt, aside from the aforementioned scuffle with the terrorists, there's a shit ton of talk about muslims and how they're treated, even in the latest(Second latest?) book, there was an entire scene dedicated to the kid of a pair of lesbians and a child of immagrants whinging about how bad it was they had to succeed or else they would think it was her moms/parents who failed while the 'good old boys' just huffed glue in the corner. This book gets political and spouts it's opinion on social issues all the time. Still worth reading because the character is well rounded, the comedy is good and the books themselves are loads of fun, but telling people 'no, there's nothing overly political in the books' is just setting someone up to be annoyed if/when they pick it up, don't do that.

>she's had had tie ins issues to one event,

Okay, tie-in just means she's directly involved with it in a notable capacity. You want to call it something else? Fine, extended appearances then, whatever, you get the point. Champions, Civil war, books like that are really fucking up the actual character, exactly why I brought up anyone who read the 'flagship' Champions(Which is still criminally outselling her book) wouldn't know anything about why this character is worth reading. So, just to be pedantic,

FUCK
OTHER
APPEARANCES

just stop reading Marvel comics

This. She was a popular waifu for a while and Tumblr liked that she was a stronk Muslim, but those kinds of interest fade.

No one reads comics already.

The book is definitely looking at a relaunch. Comicsbeat hasn't done Marvel month to month breakdowns since December, but here are the november stats (no issue in december) for Ms. Marvel:

11/15 Ms Marvel #1 - 79,222
12/15 Ms Marvel #2 - 46,610 (-41.2%)
01/16 Ms Marvel #3 - 32,364 (-30.6%)
02/16 Ms Marvel #4 - 30,916 (- 4.5%)
03/16 Ms Marvel #5 - 31,871 ( +3.1%)
04/16 Ms Marvel #6 - 29,863 (- 6.3%)
05/16 Ms Marvel #7 - 29,840 (- 0.1%)
06/16 Ms Marvel #8 - 31,798 (+ 6.6%) (CV2)
07/16 Ms Marvel #9 - 28,313 (-11.0%) (CV2)
08/16 Ms Marvel #10- 29,395 (+ 3.8%) (CV2)
09/16 Ms Marvel #11- 27,278 (- 7.2%) (CV2)
10/16 Ms Marvel #12- 28,348 (+ 3.9%)
11/16 Ms Marvel #13- 23,621 (-16.7%

You're a fucking fag.

And yet Marvel scheduled that issue to come out AFTER the election

Yeah, saying that the message of the issue didn't lean in any particular political direction is an out and out lie.

It had an agenda. Clear as day.

The thing that really irritates me about the bottom picture is that it was drawn after Kamala lost faith in Carol. It's obvious that whoever drew it hadn't been following the comic.

I want to ride on giant Kamala's shoulder as she walks around town.

For me it got involved with the bigger universe too quickly. Should have been her doing her own thing for much longer.

Political satire mixed with a little ribbing.

Her book seems to have played its hand for me. Nothing interesting or surprising happens. It's just mundane adventures. It took the world ending for any "drama" to happen in the book and that was because of Hickman's Time Runs Out.

Plus they keep using in fill-in artists when Alphona is the only one who should be drawing this book. His style and background gags gave the book charm and without him there's close to nothing keeping me reading.

Miyazawa is better. He draws the definitive Ms. Marvel.

All of this.

Events are cancerous in general, especially to newer characters who don't already have a solid foundation to go back to after the event, double especially when the event is so far beyond the scope of what the solo is about.

Kamala is as street level as they come. There's no reason to throw her into these huge, universe changing events and Marvel's only doing it because they have no idea how to handle a new, actually popular character without throwing her into everything. Her overexposure in events and on teams is killing her own solo.

>Events are cancerous in general

And yet they are the one and only thing keeping floppies alive.

Eliminate events and the sales would plummet to completely unsustainable levels. Blame yourselves for only buying comics "when they count" not whether or not they're any good.

>Go back in time
>Prevent any crossovers or events from including Kamala to make sure the book remains a fun slice of life comic

I lost interest in Ms Marvel when I realized I don't like brown people. Brown people tend to be unattractive, unintelligent and lacking charisma.

I prefer Alphona over Miyazawa. Both are cute, but Alphona's Kamala has that Paki nose.

>Less memes
>Less crossovers
>Less events
>Less relaunches
>More original villains
>More Gear Second/Fourth
>More hooking up with Bruno or shutting the fuck up about that whole thing
>More slice of life

She needs to fight bad guys that are actually a threat and not toothless jokes.

She needs to be in danger. She needs to fight for her life.

Spider-Man has moments where he's "so fun being me webswinging so cool" but he also has moments where he gets his ass beat.

Kamala is all fun no struggle. She hasn't earned being a real superhero yet.

no one cares about a hero with a feminist outfit and borderline sjw influences

One of her loved ones has to be rendered a quadriplegic in her attempt to save him from a villain or something.

The biggest fallout we've seen was Bruno busting up his hand. But he did that to himself and now he's going to an awesome post-secondary school in Wakanda, so it's really hard to see that as a bad thing.

Ms Marvel really falls into that section of books Marvel's putting out featuring cutesy, non-threatening female protags dealing with cutesy, non-threatening situations. I honestly don't mind it so much in Kamala's book because I like her street level, slice of life setting, but she doesn't have much going for her. Even her most recent arc is really tame in terms of stakes.

Her last foe felt like a misstep and ended with Zoe being awkwardly outed to the school.

Felt too much like someone writing an episode about bullying online in a cartoon.

>implying Kamala's sales wouldn't be worse if she wasn't being pushed down everyone throats
It's like you guys haven't seen every new/teen hero in the last thirty+ years. Kamala wouldn't have made it past 12 issues in her first volume if Marvel didn't push her so hard. Quality doesn't mean shit for sales, just look at Vision.

King is an autistic Bendisfag

People keep complaining about crossover events disrupting the story, only CW2 has done that, has she been in other events?
Yes but this book hasn't tied in with them, hell even in CW2 her supporting cast was still front and center

It's because she went from "fun character with neat stories" to "token brown person used to push the writer's political agenda".
It's insulting to the reader when you just want a good story and get moralized and talked down to instead.

Her power set suck balls

Dude...what if her powerset....was becoming Mia Khalifa....DUDE!

What's wrong with her powerset?

You don't even read anything with her do you?

>first villain is a bird bitching about millennials
user the agenda was always around

Who actually reads comics these days?

Its more fun to complain about them than to actually read them. Reading is hard.

this god this

events intimidate new readers because it throws the character they enjoy right in the middle of this big established world and conflict where the character either has little to no place or has to live up to something much too big much too fast

kamala should have always just been in her little new jersey corner with a consistent sense of scale until the character and her fanbase matured and they were all ready to join the rest of the marvel universe

That issue was clearly advocating for Sanders though.

i mean shit one second kamala just got out of a couple of local conflicts that reflected some commentary about her generation in a very self-contained organic way and then all of a sudden you open the next issue and right at the beginning I'M AN AVENGER READ THIS OTHER COMIC WHERE I SUDDENLY AM AN AVENGER and it's like what the fuck

and you can tell that the writer is compromising really fucking hard by reining her in and making the AVENGERS thing feel like it has a personal impact but the fact of the matter is it was just such a big change to process as having somehow happened in between issues, it was a little insane

Not really. My ex gf was a muslim and she referred to god as god while speaking english.

To be fair, if you only read her in things that aren't her solo, is a fair assessment. It's especially true for Champions, where everyone's characterisation is shitbad and Kamala is Waid's holier than thou socjus mouthpiece.

>they were all ready to join the rest of the marvel universe
That's the problem. Not everybody like the "everything is connected" of Marvel and DC.

In event, you met a lot of characters you know nothing about but the writers assumed you read each characters comics. Often the threat itself is closely related to one of those characters you don't care about.

It has nothing to do with maturity of the fanbase.

Make her a lesbian!!!
/thread

Can't really have a teenage girl getting the shit kicked out of her even if she wins the fight in the end though can you? Doubly so if it's a teenage, MUSLIM girl, cause then it would be labelled as sexist and racist that she isn't a Mary Sue who can do everything perfectly.

I want that bird guy back.

You really don't read any comics.

You could argue that it doesn't make for very interesting fight/action scenes ever since it was downgraded from her first few appearances. Kamala's gameplan most of the time consists of:
>embiggen fists and/or self
>hit stuff
>profit?
If you upgraded her powers back to their original level or even went beyond that, you could have her shapeshifting to enhance durability, strength, and even replicate some other powers to an extent.
I may want to see Kamala just bust out a big dumb Optimus Prime sword

she needs a new writer, like Loveness, Hastings or Thompson