Is 4K just a meme? I'm considering biting the bullet. We autists care a lot about things looking as perfect as they can

Is 4K just a meme? I'm considering biting the bullet. We autists care a lot about things looking as perfect as they can

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218262
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OLED is gonna change the picture contrast more than HDR on an LCD.

uh, in english doc

It's worth it. Get one.

>(((4k)))

It'll be worth it when there's content everywhere for it. Right now there's no point really

Google it

no one has provided any real proof the quality

>brightest brights
>Darkest darks

well fucking prove it asshole, and not with an image where the before or after is photoshopped to make the point

>Futureproofing your tech
>in 2017

Dude those TV's are gonna be cheap as fuck in 4-5 years, and there will be more content released in that format by then too.

I still feel bad for all those faggots that bought 720p "HD" tvs for like 800 bucks back in 2006 or so. Pretty sure you can get a decent 1080p LED TV for like 200 now, so why would you drop nearly a grand+ on a 4k that you will barely use in 4k?

You have to see it yourself you fucking idiot. No one here can provide anything for you.

This.
But all OLEDs come with HDR anyways now. That said, there is nothing more comfy than watching a 4K scan of a 35mm film like Bram Stoker’s Dracula or Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. HDR brings out all the subtleties, combined with OLED’s perfect black levels, it’s as perfect an image as you can get with these films.

I've heard a lot of people say that 4k isn't that meaningful but HDR is. OLED would be great for blacks and contrast, too. It seems like it's pretty hard to get a decent TV that isn't 4k at this point.

Your eyes can only perceive around 2k.
Everything above that is a marketing gimmick

>get 4k
>nothing is at the 4k native res so looks like shit.
bravo

>trying to see what HDR looks like on a non-HDR display

I bought a 46" 720p HD tv in 2006 for $1300

don't forget 60 fps

>nothing is at the 4k native res
wrong

It's fucking awesome. 4k is unreal.

>is 4K a meme
It depends.
I get UHD Sky in UK. Have a very good television (only let down is the blacks).
It isn't needed for most films, especially the shit thats made now. But there are the obvious films that do it justice.
If you watch alot of films that justify 4K i.e. Lawrence of Arabia, Apocalypse Now etc, then yes its worth it.

oh sorry. A few things and everything else looks like shit.

I love how all examples of standard contrast in these HDR ads make the standard contrast image look like Fellowship of the Ring with the low contrast and tint.

Literally what is the third image from? "Re-broken"???

oled is amazing I'd rather have a 40 inch oled than a 80 inch 4k

>(only let down is the blacks)
So true.

a quality surround system is a far greater value than 4k. displays are only going to constantly get better and cheaper, speakers and an good amp will hold their value forever

Bought a premium samsung 2k tv in 2013 for $500 from somebody moving... still looks great. I'll probably upgrade within a few years when more 4k shit is out.

Receivers are garbage though. They never last.

Can I watch whatever content i want at any time(the only option for this is pirating unfortunately) at 4k? No? Then why do I need 4k tv?

UHDs shot/mastered in 4K or higher:
Allied (6K)
Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (35mm)
Bridge on the River Kwai (35mm)
Chappie
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (35mm)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (35mm)
Deadpool
E.T. (35mm)
Ex Machina
The Fifth Element (35mm)
Ghostbusters (35mm)
Goodfellas (35mm)
John Wick
Labyrinth (35mm)
Leon (35mm)
Logan
Lucy
The Martian
Pineapple Express (35mm)
Planet Earth II
The Revenant
Sicario
Song to Song
Spider-Man Trilogy by Raimi (35mm)
Sully
Unforgiven (35mm)

Coming Soon:
Dunkirk (IMAX 70mm)
Blade Runner 2049

Newest LCDs are very close to looking as good as oled.

How am I able to see the HDR colours in that pic on my standard contrast screen?

Ah, great. I'll just run all of them on a loop.

forgot to mention it's 55"
feels good mang

>he doesn’t know there’s 2160p torrents easily available

look at the picture, fool. it's not about the colors but about the snow. buying a 4k HDR tv stops global warming.

>I still feel bad for all those faggots that bought 720p "HD" tvs for like 800 bucks back in 2006 or so.
Should they have just stuck with a CRT until making the jump to 4k or something?

Oled is a meme, sure it provides deeper blacks, but it will gradually lose brightness overtime, and is prone to burn in.

I am a Sony fag, I have a sony x930d 4k3dtv, and if you could afford it, the Sony z9d would be the one to get.

Highest amount of local dimming zones out of any tv out now, 3d capable, and is the brightest tv out as well.

It can reach 1500 nits, important because hdr 10 movies are usually mastered at 2000nits. Oled 4k tvs can't even surpass 800nits

>nits is a level of brightness a tv can get

Resolution doesn’t even matter that much with 4K. At 55 inches, you have to sit 3 feet from the screen to see a noticeable jump in quality between HD and 4K.
The real difference between 4K and Blu-ray is HDR. Movies like Pacific Rim or War For The Planet of the Apes are mastered in 2K, but the HDR is what makes them look amazing in 4K. Also even though the resolution is practically the same, higher bitrate on 4K means they are gonna be more detailed and have less compression artifacts regardless.

I don't know, probably one attempt to restore colors to the characters.

i turned on hdr.
everyone complained it looked dumb and now it's off.

>being this dumb
FILM
ALWAYS
WINS
BAYBEE

They're so good they manage to run even on your standard tv. Buy one now.

>muh nits
A TV being that bright is excessive, not even movie theater screens are like that. OLED’s blacks aren’t just deeper, they’re the deepest you can get, the pixels literally turn off at absolute black. That means the black bars on scope content become invisible in a dark room.

tldr: wait 3 more years.

>I turned on HDR

TE looks the best.

yes, the human eye can't see more than 1080 pixels

I own these ones out if the list

>Dracula
>goodfellas
>Logan
>the Revenant
>Spiderman trilogy
>Sicario
Plus user, how could you forget the original >BLADE RUNNER 4K
>also baby driver
>Guardians of the Galaxy 2 4k/3d combo, I watched it in 3d

My first purchase was Logan.

I watched the movie and was not impressed, didn't look that much different from blu Ray, and believed that the 4k meme thing was true.

But what sold me was goodfellas,
A little grain heavy, but I trust Scorseses vision (he oversaw the transfer)
Karen's introduction to Henrys crew, burying Billy bats were astounding.
Plus the motion of it, it felt very natural in way I can't describe, I didn't have motion interpolation on or anything.

Haven't watched my copy of Dracula yet,
But watched Spiderman 1 and the fight scenes of 2 and 3, and the details you really notice.

Blade Runner:4k is amazing, the intro scene alone converts plans.

The song z9d uses individual illuminated zones, I know oled turns off the pixels completely, but they suffer from loss of brightness, motion isn't as responsive, and burn in is a potential issue.

Oled isn't viable yet.

The cost is higher for most oleds tvs, but so are the risks.

Yes

And the pic you posted isn't representative, vs a z9d, it would smoke the lg

>he fell for the "the director oversaw the transfer" meme they pull everytime

Jesus, user...

Wait til no-glasses 3D is debuted, OP.
For all we know it will require two separate 4k fields interlaced with one another.

I just picked up an LG LCD 4k HDR at a cheap price. I'll grab an OLED when they're not thousands more over here.

Anyway, you're goddamn right about the Goodfellas bluray. It's incredible. Weighed in at 80gbs, but it was worth it.

I also watched Jason Bourne, which didn't do much for me. Blade Runner is fucking gorgeous, Guardians was so vibrant - that was my test disk

I'm going to watch Prometheus and Covenant in 4k. I skipped through Prometheus and it's gorgeous.

I still need to adjust my settings because even when I turn LG's godawful interpolation (aka TruMotion) off, and turn on filmmode, which I believe forces 24p but at 48p? it judders. I've tried a lot of different settings and combos. Trumotion wrecks the filmic feel and the mouths look odd, like dialogue is ADR'd, or I can leave it off and experience judder when it's in motion. And I'm not talking about a pan that judders, I'm talking about someone moving their neck and it judders.

Fuck you’re right I forgot the original Blade Runner. And that’s one of the best ones out there.

Baby Driver was shot on film but mastered in 2K so I didn’t list it. Guardians 2 was shot in 6K but mastered in 2K.

Yeah I wasn’t too impressed with Logan even though it’s a real 4K movie. Batman v Superman has 35mm scenes in 2K, but the IMAX stuff was mastered in 4K and the whole movie is gorgeous in HDR.

Scorsese did over see the transfer,
It was for 25th anniversary bluray,
But since wb already had the 4k transfer they released it.

>Shoot in 6k
>Use a 2k DI

lmao @Marvel

You're right about Blade Runner though, my god.

The Goodfellas 4K looks incredible whether Scorsese oversaw the transfer or not. It’s the closest you can get to watching a 35mm projection in your living room. Don’t be a faggot.

Baby driver 4k is a meme movie,
I watched it, and it was another letdown like Logan.

I intend to get Batman v superman 4k later, but I already own the 3d version

Only downside of getting an oled is burn in which already happened to mine, but other than that I don't think any other tv can compete with the picture quality

Sony fag here, I don't dispute oled wow factor, the NASA hdr space demo on the lg e6 made my dick diamonds, but id hate to spend 3000 on a tv that is gradually going to get shittier.

Anyone seen The Martian in 4k? The extended just came out, might grab it

Your body is gradually getting shittier, everything gradually gets shittier.

Underated

yes but I think the user is referring to the depreciation of the OLED tv to be too overwhelming.

you cant make this shit up
fucking kek

Since we are talking about 4k transfers,

Apparently The Dark Knight onwards of the Christopher Nolan films had cgi mastered at 4k (unusual for the time of the dark knight)

So we will get the best, possible home representation of the film's, aside from actually owning the prints

Burn is a bitch but it fades away after watching more content. Also you can perform “Clear Panel Noise” from the Picture menu under OLED Panel settings.

I heard that it has limited uses, and that oled degradation is unavoidable

yeah, from memory, that's correct. Plus, imagine what the IMAX scenes will look like. Honestly, I'm holding out for Interstellar in 4k and Dunkirk. That'll be something else

Another way to see the difference a 4k her makes is battlefield 1.

I have it on pc, so it maybe different.

But play ballroom blitz with 4k on, but no hdr, then play the same level with hdr and the difference is like night and day

>the helicopter in The Dark Knight was LITERALLY rendered at 480p
The Nolan films are gonna look great though, the IMAX photography will especially benefit

They will have the Imax scene transitions for all films that have Imax footage, had to make sure before I pre ordered.

I got a 43" 4K LED ordered for Christmas, around $400 AUD. Same size in 1080p was only $100 cheaper.

They are already cheap. Going to buy me one at christmas sale.

transitions? Is there something different from standard bluray?

>This is the real deal. Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all the mastering/editing was done in 4K.
>Shot on 35mm
>VFX Rendered in 4K, 5.6K, and 8K
>Digital Intermediate at 4K
Bravo Nolan!

No, the dark knight, rises, interstellar, and Dunkirk all do the aspect ratio change on bluray, but on 4k it should be more impactful

Is it okay to get 4K screen without HDR/OLED?

No it’s the same as the Blu-ray. It cuts between 2.40 and 1.78 aspect ratio (2.20 to 1.78 in Dunkirk)

without OLED, yes. since you would save at least £1000 getting something similar with either a Sony or a Samsung.
There is a clear dip in quality for dark scenes though, that is the only downside.

OLED is terribly expensive but you should at least get HDR. 4K is disappointing without it.

Honestly, interstellar, most of inception and rises was utter shit.

I can't wait until real kino comes to 4k.

They always released Kubrick films to whatever he format immediately and I'm surprised, I mean Barry Lyndon in 4k HDR? A clockwork orange? Eyes wide shut?

What is taking wb so God damn long

still waiting on a 4K remastered David Lean collection.

Be sure to get one with backlit local dimming, rtings is a good place to start when perusing for a 4k tv, but be warned, they have an LG oled bias without going over it's negatives.

And lg makes all oled panels out on the market, even for it's competitors

Barry Lyndon just got remastered in 4K but Criterion released the Blu-ray. It upsvales nicely but a UHD is unlikely for the time being.

2001 is having its 50th Anniversary in 2018. Seems like the perfect time to do a 4K UHD release.
>mfw stargate sequence with HDR

There is a list of movies that have 4k transfers already, but they haven't released them yet. I believe doctor zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia got remastered

I need every 4k Kubrick kino, up my ass immediately. Knowing Warner, they will probably release Kubrick other films with the 2001 4k transfer

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218262

List of films that have 4k transfers, but aren't released

My speculation:
WB will release 4K UHDs of:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Fullmetal Jacket

Criterion will be licensed to release 4K remastered 1080p BDs of:
Lolita
Eyes Wide Shut
(They’ve already done the same for The Killing, Killer’s Kiss, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove and Barry Lyndon)

If Universal releases Spartacus in 4K they’ll fuck it up by dialing up the HDR to 11. The 1080p disc looks great though.

Twin Peaks in 4k, when?

Episode 8 of twin peaks 3 was pure wtf and eye sex, coolest nuke scene since terminator 2

>list of shit you cant own
woah thanks

It's supposed to be a speculative guide and bring awareness to what movies are ready for release, ya dolt

Sounds about right. Also, he HDDVD EWS release is actually better than the current bluray, so I don't think that bodes well for the film.

Honetsly, why the fuck haven't they release a 4k restoration of 2001. People would buy that shit up. Part of the attraction is seeing these classic movies with birate high enough to actually maintain grain and not take a shit in dark areas. I cannot get over how Blade Runner looks

>and your other gun

>65" 4K telly has bigger pixels than a 32" 1080p telly
Really activates those almonds.

>haha dude why buy the best one, it's not gonna be the best in 5 years

every time.

>spending thousands just to try something out

Problem is that EE is the best version of LOTR

it's fucking rigged!