New direction for Batman?

It seems to me the current Batman writers are just retreading old stories instead of coming up with new ideas. King brought back the BatCat ship and OG Bane. Snyder is just reimagining new villains, and he still hasn't shown why Duke is different from a new Robin. Tynion is just telling stories with the old Bat-family (I have to admit though, good guy Clayface is cool).
After Morrison, where he 'killed' Batman, had a good replacement Batman, and created Inc. it's hard to come up with an interesting new direction.
Pitch your idea, Sup Forums.

>capeshit is retreading old shit and selling it to fans as new
>capeshit fans keep buying
>capeshit fans will literally never learn

Enjoy your big 2!

>Batman writers are just retreading old stories instead of coming up with new ideas
That's cape comics for you.

I always wondered why anyone would spend so many years reading them when they hardly come up with anything new.

You forgot to mention that capeshit fans will always rejoice at the idea of the big two retreading the same old shit.

Most of the stories seem new to me, except they're not good.

Is that true though? Most capeshit fans grumble and complain all the time about how they're treated, but then

>but the Clayface is new!

and that's all they need.

I have been saying this for years, It is time to get batman back to basics; get rid of all those fucking unnecessary characters get Catwoman the fuck out and just tell good detective stories get Zatanna back and have her and Bruce be childhood BFF's again it is simply really.

>character x does a
>let's change him and have him do b
Why? Make a new y character and have that character do b.
That way people who want x doing a while keep it and those who want something else will get something else.

>totally not a batsxzatanna shipperfag

Vikki Vale gets evidence that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Bruce decides to get caught with a prostitute to discredit the rumor and remind everyone what an irresponsible playboy he is. The prostitute reveals herself as a trap, and not just any trap, but one of The Jokers who kills Bruce before he can realize the ruse.
Bruce is dead. Forever.
Dick's waifu get's killed and he takes over with Batman, and we're back to Dick and Damian adventures. The Joker retains his place as the prime rogue for having taken away everyone's daddy, Batman is no longer no fun allowed, Duke and Bluebird are effectively disappeared and forgotten. Jason get's to continue his Outlaw adventures, except now he wears the Bat on his suit out of tribute to Bruce. Tim effectively becomes the brains of the family and acts as Oracle of the Batfamily and Teen Titans.
I literally pulled this out of my ass and no one should take it seriously.

I think both the status quo and stories feel a lot different, but neither good, nor imaginative. Batman feels more like an action hero rather than a street level vigilante or a Detective. The status quo with Batfamily feels a little fan fictiony, pulled straight out of Tumblr.

Good. Because I didn't.

Actually I am not(well I kinda am I prefer her than "Cat") but my point still stands. I would kill of most of the Batfamily or re-purpose them and make detective comics the main Batman book and tell ya'know detective stories in them and bring back characters like Nacturna and mad monk and such and have batman solve murders and mysteries bring him back to his pulp roots. and stop regressing his character to make him an asshole.

They need to reboot Legends of the Dark Knight... that series was fucking awesome, diff creatives on diff seperate story arcs, no crossover bullshit, just solid Batman stories.

I'm not sure what writers at DC could do a proper detective story now though, things have gotten so lazy

>They need to reboot Legends of the Dark Knight... that series was fucking awesome
Best Batman series to date, All DC needs to do is get rid of all the damn kids and Rip offs and turn Detective Comics into something worth reading, plain and simple but instead we get to see a bunch of "Sidekicks" bitch and moan about how bad batman is Jesus Superman doesn't have to deal with that bullshit I just want a good Batman story is that too much to ask for; according to DC yes.

But neither of those things about King are retreading old stories. It's an entirely new story about Bane.

In all fiction, but especially cape comics, the best place to start creatively is to go back to something else and see if you can revisit and improve the concept. It's interesting you brought up Morrison's Batman because it's one of the absolute best examples of this.

Morrison went back to the early Silver Age of Batman and brought back a lot of forgotten elements of the Bat mythos, like the sci-fi super spy angle of the character. Batman & Robin revisited the idea of Dick taking over the Batman mantle, which had been done in Earth-Two comics and in the Prodigal story in the 90's, and it also took influence from the camp era of Batman's history. Batman Inc. itself was inspired by the Batmen of All Nations story from the 50's.

So for King's Batman, he looked at two villains: Catwoman and Bane, and looked at how they'd changed since their inception. Catwoman was no longer a feme fatale who could not always be trusted, she was a straight up ally. And Bane was no longer Batman's most dangerous enemy who was his superior both physically and mentally. So King set out to do his own take on the characters by drawing from their earliest incarnations.

Another example is how by the late 60's, Batman sales were in the toilet. The comic had attempted to ride on the popular TV show's fame by becoming intentionally campy, but by '69 the show was off the air and sales kept tanking.

Enter Denny O' Neil and some others, who looked back at the earliest Batman comics, that were gritty detective stories, and decided to bring Batman back in that direction, and that's what put the character back on the top of the sales charts.

So basically, to move forward we often have to look back.

good post

When user's right, user's right

you sure aint wrong.

This is so wrong it almost hurts.

So, you're saying we need the JLI back?

Easy: Intergang moves to take over Gotham.

So Morrison's retreading of Old O'Neal comics is original?

Oh look, a contrarian... please tell us how he's so wrong.

As far as I can see you're not implying King is good, so you're not wrong.

I like your input user.
Don't say anything else and ruin it.

>there are people who think O'Neil wrote Batmen of All Nations, Robin Dies At Dawn and First Batman created the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.

>just tell good detective stories

That's all I ask.

I wish Bruce stayed dead and we still had Dick and Damian as Batman & Robin.

>Do Knightfall again
>This time no fucking around
>All the villains team up and make a rouge army
>even people like Crazy Quilt, Kite Man, so on
>No speeches, no grand death trap, they just fight until he wears down
>Bane or Joker deal killing blow
>I'd prefer Joker so
>Gorden goes all Seven on Joker and shoots him fucking dead
>Dick Bats
>Dont EVER bring Bruce back

Valiant and Image are worse. There's more originality in DC than in any of the other 3.

>rouge

Stopped reading right there.

Why the fuck do these Fags that love Dick so much want him to be Batman again, if he is so good a character why have him inherit what his mentor have build. This is what I hate the most about Robinfags they are so fucking insufferable wanting there favorite to be batman fucking pathetic that's why I want all of them gone just Batman and Alfred again.

Aren't they trying to recover from the mess that was New 52/DCYou?

We never got that main feature either.
Morrison gave them with so much cool shit to do with Dick and DC did nothing with it.

Dick came before Alfred. Legacy is important in the DCU writers just pay lip service to it instead of following through

how about stop reading batman comics

Pity (You)