Could screwball comedies ever make a comeback? Will we ever see a good spoof again...

Could screwball comedies ever make a comeback? Will we ever see a good spoof again? Is the comedy just too broad for modern audiences or is it something else? If Airplane, Porky's, Austin Powers, any Mel Brooks movie, etc. came out today would they be received the same way or would they generally be panned over?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwball_comedy_film
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the scary movie spin offs are what ruined them i think. they are few and far between now. last good one i can think of was Walk Hard

As long as they're nothing like the "meet the spartans" style movies of the 2000's I'd be willing to give them a shot.

Some types of comedy still work in their respective movies but don't in new ones. Take the Three Stooges movie from a few years ago. It's actually pretty faithful comedy, but just doesn't work with a modern vibe.

>Jew colluding with blacks against the white majority
Sup Forums is never wrong, are they?

spoofs got blacked. wes and the coens do screwball comedies.

>screwball comedies
say no more, user

sooooo screwball.

heh - it's "Headly"

I'd call those more "surreal comedy". Semantics, but whatever.

>Jew colluding with blacks against the white majority
shouldve been the russians, right?

They would get panned and they do get panned.
Dracula Dead and Loving It was solid screwball that from a recent viewing aged remarkably well, but it got blasted by critics all the same. Critics just considered the format old hat by 1995, regardless of whether it was actually funny.
I'm personally pretty fucking sad about the lack of comedy in general these days. I'm reduced to watching trash movies just to laugh at something intentional or otherwise.

>I'm personally pretty fucking sad about the lack of comedy
You know, now that you mention it when was the last time we got kino comedy? Or even just decent comedy?

Nah, there's a difference. The Coens get serious occasionally, and make room for surreal moments, comedic or otherwise. Screwball does its best to never be serious from my experience, but even then there are exceptions, like The Party.

Latest that comes to mind is Step Brothers. And even it doesn't hold a candle to movies like Trading Places, Ghostbusters, Airplane!, Vacation, etc.

>screwball comedy
>airplane, porky's austin powers, mel brooks

These are not screwball comedies. These are slapstick comedies. It's okay, it's an honest mistake I have made in the past.

Screwball comedy is an older type of comedy, more commonly known today as Romantic Comedy. They don't make many good examples of that today either.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwball_comedy_film

Step Brothers was one of those movies that by the time I saw it, I had already heard every joke quoted by friends without even realizing it. Kind of killed the comedy of it.

Its are weirdly memorable. Almost Shrek level.

I had the same thing happen with Anchorman.

its jokes*

Lysette Anthony is really underrated as a top tier fap actress of the past. I guess most of the American audiences weren't familiar with her.

Screwball style needs infinitely likable leads and over-the-top baddies... we just don't have performers of the quality it takes to make those kinds of movies successful these days

Latest decent comedy I can think of would be Hangover, but the sequels kind of ruined it.