Is there a specific reason why western animation has more variety in art styles compared to japanese animation...

Is there a specific reason why western animation has more variety in art styles compared to japanese animation? Is it a cultural thing are do western animation teams get more freedom in that department?

Other urls found in this thread:

livechart.me/spring-2017/tv
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anime has less of a budget and has to appeal to a narrower audience.

Well it's easy when by "western animation" you actually mean "animation from pretty much anywhere except Japan".

Anyone have a list of of all the styles OP's pic is drawn in? I can recognize most of them but not all of them.

So are these all Jeff Winger?

Even just counting a single country like America or even Canada you can see it.

It's a bias

You're more familiar with "western" art so you can notice these easier.

There are alot of different anime styles depending on artists. You could probably get a list just as big with various anime source materials

only variation of japanese style there is toriyama's

>it's a bias
Bullshit. This is true for French animation and german animation as well despite me not seeing it as often. Japan isn't as diverse and it takes some hardcore weebing to deny it.

Eastern and Western animation both have plenty of variety, and to claim otherwise for either case shows ignorance in regards to their histories and range. While it is easy to distinguish overall trends, there have been thousands of examples of both Eastern and Western animation produced over the last century, with a great number of standouts.

because you haven't watched enough eastern animation

No one is saying all anime is the same, but it is clearly less diverse. Even the examples you posted you can pick out some definitive anime tropes in animation and again that image uses EXCEPTIONS to the rule.

Hi user, I see you. Now you can turn that trip off.

This isn't your normal average everyday baiting.

This is advanced baiting.

>Exceptions to the rule
Maybe since there's more anime coming out in a season than there are 5 years in America.

Even if you pick and choose the unique things from each season you'd have more then whatever shitty flash animated polygon Canada puts out that year.

why are the standouts so rare? why can't japan make another panty&stocking or kaiba?

Western animation used to be like this back during the golden age where every character would wear gloves and be an anthro animal. It has moved past this though. Japan on the other hand is very traditional and it's media reflects that. Both it's anime, novels, games, ect don't really evolve and while weeaboos will scream and cry how it isn't the case it is.

Even with more animation products they are still manage to have less range and on average are still less diverse.
For example I just took two cartoons from the front page that were having threads side by side.
Ed, ed n eddy and Samurai Jack. These cartoons shows are more visually distinct from each other than anything that came out this season in japan.

The standouts come out about as much as your typical number of Western shows do in their entirely.
>why can't japan make another panty&stocking or kaiba?
They do, almost every season there's a notable stylistic exception. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

livechart.me/spring-2017/tv
Scroll through here and you can certainly see some overall trends, but it's not hard to find the exceptions either. Bear in mind this is the current anime season.

This guy really hates drawing hands.

>but it is clearly less diverse
Still wrong

>Almost every season
You see this? So you might get ONE per season but in western animation most cartoons look visually different.

>Even the examples you posted you can pick out some definitive anime tropes in animation
But you can do the same with western animation
The only reason OPs western animation art style thing looks more easily discernible is because the artist picked out classics and popular versions of things
The difference between Nobita from Doraemon and Any of the matsus from Osomatsu san is just as slight as Groenbergs style and Bob's burgers style
There are multiple styles that look like they could come from the same cartoon

Nice argument.
Most of those anime use
>The eye showing through hair trope
and
>Anime nose
These are the exceptions and cherry picks and they still aren't that diverse.

That's one that is a huge deviation from the standard, but most anime has a distinctive style.

And the OP image showcases stylistic changes that took place over as wide a frame as six decades, what's your point.

I'll try (incomplete, but feel free to add to it)
---Top Row ---
Simpsons
Family Guy/ American Dad (Seth McFarlane)
KoTH (?)
Bob's Burgers
Jetsons / Hannah Barbera
??
??
??
??
Archer (?)
Transformers
Astro Boy
??

--Middle --
Not even going to attempt this one except for South Park, Peanuts and Garfield

--Bottom
Smurfs
I don't know the name but I know it's on Boomerang
Alan Gregory (?)
??
??
Rugrats
Doug
??
??
Phineas and Ferb (?)
Looney Tunes
DBZ

Yeah I mean if you just think Japanese animation is only what you find on Sup Forums

Most anime have a generic shit style.

Why not count all the art styles in Japan then?

You'd be surprised how many there are.

It has no relation to artistic freedom.

Anime has smaller budgets but it also has infinitely higher production quality. The broad similarities in anime/manga/game/light novel character design have nothing whatsoever to do with budget, and the designs used in anime are much more complicated than those used in American animation anyway.

Anime character designs vary more than what is commonly believed, but there are almost always commonalities and features that identify them as anime. There's a lot of consistency. American designs may be less consistent but they also have things in common.

Anime is kind of a self-contained reality that follows its own more or less consistent rules of stylized realism.

>Both it's anime, novels, games, ect don't really evolve and while weeaboos will scream and cry how it isn't the case it is.
But it isn't the case, and stating that fact does not make someone a weeaboo.

Bobs burgers and the simpsons look very noticably different. You pick any 2 random anime and you can instantly tell they are anime as opposed to western cartoons.

>Heavily Implying the west is any better

>Another Sup Forums thinks they know what goes on in Japan thread
wew

I hate it when people do style memes, but instead of actually drawing how the character would look if they were in the show/comic as a background character, they just draw them with the body shape of the more popular characters.

Like how he just gave himself that hair for the Dragonball Z style.

It is. Sorry you hate your own culture but western animation style is more diverse.

You're talking about a couple of small details that are popular in style, but they don't have complete dominance, and they aren't a major factor in the style. I think you just want to hate on it.

I know you just want to hate on it.

Are you saying I can't pick any two random western cartoons and know they are western cartoons?

Because 99% of Eastern animation is basically run by the very people who lined all their walls with pictures of anime girls from the 90's

Does anyone have that picture where the anime executive is talking about how they'd love to make more diverse and unique projects but are ultimately tied down by a very single minded fanbase, and then it shows an animator with anime shit all over his desk saying "I like to draw cute girls!"

>They are small details
>How the face looks is a small detail

You should specify if you're talking about character design or the overall look of a show, because they aren't the same thing.

Generic is not a valid term and something doesn't look like shit just because it makes you feel insecure about American animation. Try again.

>You pick any 2 random anime and you can instantly tell they are anime as opposed to western cartoons.
The opposite is also true.

Everything in Japan looks the same!
REEE

You're talking about the way some anime do a nose and the way hair interacts with facial expressions. Yeah, that's pretty small.

And, again, not ubiquitous for all that you want it to be.

You can only do that because they DON'T look like anime. You wouldn't know a cartoon is from America or Canada just from looking at it.
Why would a generic style make me insecure?

Oh wait, I get it, Sup Forums is just jealous that they don't get 30 new shows a season.

THE SAAAAME

You stupid weeb, the face is the most important part. Noses, lack of lips, eyes, nose, ect all have a current style that sets itself apart. This denial is amazing.

>Bobs burgers and the simpsons look very noticably different
>bulging eyes
>lack of chin
>long neck
>less than 5 fingers
>top lip shoots out more
pretty similar to me

>You pick any 2 random anime and you can instantly tell they are anime
The same goes for western cartoons
But my point was anime have distinct enough styles to where you can understand that two random characters could be from different shows in the same way for western cartoons

REEEE
DON'T EVEN IMPLY THAT

It doesn't matter if you get 10 or a billion if either way the amount of decent ones don't change.

>The same way goes for western cartoons
No it doesn't. You can't tell which country a cartoon comes from unless it comes from japan because they are the only ones who can't into different.

>Because 99% of Eastern animation is basically run by the very people who lined all their walls with pictures of anime girls from the 90's
Yes, it's just terrible that the industry is run by people who love animation.

>Does anyone have that picture where the anime executive is talking about how they'd love to make more diverse and unique projects but are ultimately tied down by a very single minded fanbase
That studio owner runs a studio that does not make its own productions and only provides assistance to other studios, so he doesn't get to make whatever he wants in any case. Other studios were also making those "mature" and "artistic" projects that Westerners cream themselves over, so even if you take his comments as being on behalf of the entire industry he is still wrong.

Westerners say they want diverse and unique projects, which come out every season, but then they never watch them.

I won't deny that the industry has similarities, but that's not unique to Japan. How often does Sup Forums complain about the CalArts style?

>It doesn't matter if you get 10 or a billion if either way the amount of decent ones don't change.

This is exactly what I expected you to say.

And yet they look different enough where anyone can instantly tell them apart unlike most anime.

>You can't tell which country a cartoon comes from
Maybe you can't, but it's pretty easy to tell where a cartoon comes from
Particularly Canadian cartoons

THIS MOVIE THAT CAME OUT LAST YEAR LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS LUCKY STAR THAT CAME OUT 7 YEARS PREVIOUS

Ah yes, the make up bullshit argument. Very effective.

So why would you make a post if you expected to get BTFO? Is it your fetish?

You're gonna see what you want to see and we're not going to convince you otherwise.

Western animation tends to lean towards perspectives you'd see in live action sitcoms because there's an inherent idea that animation is derived from comedy. Because of this, flat, 2D characters that are simple but recognizable are desirable. There's nothing wrong with this, and it can vary by format of the show (Samurai Jack, for example, plays with perspective a lot despite the "flatness" of its art-style), but it's mainly done this way because it's cheaper, easier to recognize (and thus market), and suits the idea that cartoons mare mainly for comedy sketches.

The direction of most anime leans towards imitating the movie cinematography because the idea that animation is inherently comedic is not ingrained in that industry. This leads to designs that have less variety, but are more flexible for playing with perspective. Like with western animation, there are exceptions based on genre or authorial intent (Tatami Galaxy, Panty and Stocking, and a variety of comedy with the western-esque "simple but recognizeable" approach). For the most part though, anime tends to go for that more-detailed, less-fluid approach that's so heavily associated with it, even if it's not suitable for the show (like the majority of anime comedies or slice of life shows).

That doesn't look even slightly like Lucky Star.

>completely unsupported claim
>btfo

lol

>it's bullshit because it proves me wrong!
Really, so you would instantly know EENE comes from Canada or that Wakfu comes from France?

Nah, it's bullshit because it's bullshit. You are completely unable to prove it.

>Why would a generic style make me insecure?
Generic is not a valid term. Please try again.

>It doesn't matter if you get 10 or a billion if either way the amount of decent ones don't change.
Of course it changes.

>they are the only ones who can't into different.
It has nothing to do with ability, and even though it is the case that anime character designs are nearly always recognizably anime, anime is still overall much more diverse than American animation.

People who are familiar with anime can tell things apart much better than people who aren't.

Don't tell me you actually like the shit Sup Forums posts. I bet you think this current season of anime is amazing!
I am sorry you like to eat trash. Keep posting those shit and generic art styles though.

Wakfu is obviously French, no one else blends eastern and western style like that.

I could probably tell Wakfu is European given the female character designs.
European or Japanese

>And yet they look different enough where anyone can instantly tell them apart unlike most anime.
That's just untrue
Using the same qualifiers that you'd use to tell two western cartoons apart, you'd do the same with anime
facial make up, attention to clothing detail, line strength, colors, anatomy, etc etc etc

Nice no argument there weeb.

>no one else blends eastern and western like that
What about Megas XLR or Avatar?

I like LWA and Sangatsu no Lion right now. Next season I'll be getting a horror to look forward to. Sorry your pickings are always so slim and identical in genre.

ARE YOU QUESTIONING ME?

I GO TO Sup Forums AND THEREFORE I AM INFALLIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO ANIMATION

JUST LOOK AT THIS SCREEN OF MADOKA, LOOKS LIKE EVERY OTHER ANIME

Avatar doesn't do sexy the way the French do, and Megas XLR really isn't very eastern, it's just mecha

Generic is not a valid term and something doesn't look like shit just because it makes you feel insecure about American animation. Try again.

>it's not a valid term
Because it hurts your weeb fee fees. Sorry.
>Can only name 2 examples
Thanks for proving my point.
Nice Cherrypicking weeb.

>it's an east vs west thread
I like both, why do I only see these threads constantly on Sup Forums and never on Sup Forums.

>make assertion
>don't prove it
>"nuh uh you have to disprove my baseless opinion!"

>Because it hurts your weeb fee fees. Sorry.
Because it isn't a valid term.

I'm not a weeaboo. You either don't know what that means or you're lying.

Why would shit animation make someone insecure user?
Most anime are so generic you can tell a characters personality by their hair color.
There is a

And how many good cartoons will you get for the entire year?

Sup Forums has mods

Embarrassing.

>Why would shit animation make someone insecure user?
You are claiming it's shit because you are insecure. In reality, anime has far superior animation.

>Most anime are so generic you can tell a characters personality by their hair color.
Generic is not a valid term.

>JRPGs aren't all the same!
Kek, I love weebs and their denial.

>Really, so you would instantly know EENE comes from Canada or that Wakfu comes from France?
But that's only because I'm so experienced
I know that those two shows are distinct because I can tell them apart based on their art style, but that doesn't take that much experience
I can also tell that two anime characters aren't from the same show with that same low level of experience

>Most anime are so generic you can tell a characters personality by their hair color.

That's just not true. Nice job buying into memes, though.

That movie got me sad.

SJ is the best thing to come out from any country in a long time.
>Far superior animation
>Lower budget
>uses a generic art style in order to make it easier to animate

>can only name one for an entire year
kek

>That's not true
kek. Pink hair is the cute moe one, dark hair is generally the edgy one.
So deep!

EXACTLY NOTHING AS EMBARRASSING AS ALL THESE SAMEY LOOKING THINGS, MOST COMING FROM JUST LAST YEAR

NO, NO NEED TO CHERRYPICK, THAT'S HOW BAD IT IS!

Thanks for posting more generic anime faces to help prove my point user.

Yeah, pink hair literally does not correlate to any particular personality type. You're wrong.

Black hair you're not completely wrong, but it's the same in the west with the goth/emo archetype, so it doesn't seem like much of an argument.

Even these sad cherrypicks are clearly japanese.

Who said anything about JRPGs? Only you did.

>Far superior animation
Yes.

>Lower budget
Yes, which just goes to show that budget doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

>uses a generic art style in order to make it easier to animate
Generic is not a valid term, and anime uses far more complex designs than American animation that are far more difficult to animate. You are also, like so many other people, acting as if character designs are merely disembodied faces and there's nothing else to them.

>Pink hair is the cute moe one
Moe is not a character type or trait, and pink hair is not associated with anything in particular.

>dark hair is generally the edgy one
A variety of character can have dark hair, such as girls who come from a traditional Japanese family.

Generic is not a valid term.

>diverting attention from how hard you got btfo

So cute, so moe, pink hair chan couldn't possibly betray your expectations

>Sup Forums browses Sup Forums looking for excuses to get triggered

Well, stylisation is used to underline certain traits of a character. Anime mostly depicts everyone as beautiful and relateable, using bigger eyes and a small mouths and nose. Show you beautiful people is what Anime do. Take a look at villains and funny characters from One Piece. There's more variety there than among main characters. Anime can vary but don't want to most of the time.