DC canon

Alright Sup Forums, this mini-event has led to this DC newcomer wanting to read all the essential story arcs since Crisis on Infinite Earths. Suggestions?

Also, general discussion of Rebirth so far, I guess.

Watchmen
Convergence (mostly with the end, tie-ins are okay)
New 52
All the Crisises
Geoff John's JL run
Flashpoint
JSA
Wally Flash runs
Death of Superman
Geoff john's Nu52 Superman run
Lois and Clark

This list isn't in order and you absolutely do not need Convergence, Identity Crisis, Johns JL, Flashpoint, or Death of Superman. I would actively avoid all of them tbqh.

Minor add-on: I've read Watchmen and Flashpoint.

Convergence shows where Superdad came (though I agree, it's pretty shit. Only the Superdad tie-in is good)

A Crisis is a Crisis no matter what

Johns JL plays a huge impact on the universe (mostly toward the end granted)

Flashpoint same as above

Death of Superman is the new canon Doomsday origin now that Superdad and Superbro fused.

>Suggestions?
Yeah, kill yourself. Why can't you just look up the "essentials" are and stop being an intrusive piece of shit? Oh right, because googling stuff is haaaaaaaaaaard.

Then again, you're one of those retards who seriously thinks "essentials" is a thing.

Okay so, how indepth do you want to go here?

Really you would star with Flash of Two Worlds and Crisis on Two Worlds from the pre-crisis days. Then you would move on to CoIE, then Infinite Crisis (I highly suggest reading the lead up minis too; Villains United, Omac Project, Checkmate etc.). Wally West Flash would make for a good connective tissue between the Crisis events but is not necessary. A little bit more necessary might be the post IC JL, but again not essential.

Regardless, after Infinite Crisis read Final Crisis (and like, ALL of Final Crisis, there is a pretty good complete reading guide out there somewhere)

Then Rebirth #1 and you are basically all good.

kill yourself you edgy teen. Your mom doesnt love you.

For the "history of the DC Universe".

CoiE
Zero Hour
Infinite Crisis
Final Crisis
Flashpoint

That's it. Anything else is about characters with minor insights on the esoterics on the inner workings of the DC Universe, and you don't /need/ to read it. Before reading any of the other stuff mentioned, you'd be better served reading the New Gods Saga or Multiversity. Though really, that's already a lot of reading, by that point you should just read whatever picks your fancy.

Go back to the JSA thread, resident sperg.

Zero Hour isnt that essential imo.

How did people feel about the reveal of his identity?

>Convergence shows where Superdad came (though I agree, it's pretty shit. Only the Superdad tie-in is good)
Most of the tie-ins are okay, but Convergence adds absolutely nothing to the overral DC mythology, and it's a bad event after a terrible year long series. If you're interested in Superdad, just read the fucking Superdad book.
>A Crisis is a Crisis no matter what
Identity Crisis has jackshit to do with the larger DC tapestry or cosmic events, and all of the edgy events that got ignored by the Morrison/Geoff era that followed are flat out irrelevant in a post New52 world, that ironically got rid of all that mid 00's edgy shit.
>Johns JL plays a huge impact on the universe (mostly toward the end granted)
No. Absolutely nothing happened, if anything ties up to the event that we'll get in 2+ years, they'll just recap it in the event that we'll get in 2+ years.
>Flashpoint same as above
Nothing like the above.
>Death of Superman is the new canon Doomsday origin now that Superdad and Superbro fused.
And Doomsday is essential?

>"But we LIKE casuals shitting up the board!"

>all the essential story arcs
You don't know what you're saying.

DC put out so much good shit since then, my man.

"Clark" being Mxy, or Superbro being outed by Lois during DC You?
A lot of people were pissed it wasn't Prime, but by the end I came around.
Still, every sign pointed to Prime.

>Only the Superdad tie-in is good
Plenty of the tie-ins were good.

Shazam! and JSA stand out in particular.

But that's just it, if they read the damn stories, they'll grow out of being casuals.

Lois and Clark recaps what you need from Convergence.

Identity Crisis is a false crisis and a shit story. Should not be read.

Johns JL was mostly ignored, anything relevant will be sufficiently recapped before it gets used again. Same as Flashpoint.

Death of Superman was shit and Doomsday is a shitty character. If you ever need to know his origin it gets recapped for you but he's just a monster that shows up occasionally and killed Superman once.

It was alright. I wasn't really liking Jon, but I kind of came around to him this arc. Jurgen's side was kind of weak though.

I like them better than you, at least.

It's secondary, Flashpoint tier. But between showing a lot of the more outworldy time travelling elements of the DC Universe, spotlighting the JSA, and using the New Gods and the Spectre, it's pretty relevant.

Adding to the list that a lot of Morrison and Johns comics while mostly just fun reads have at least a bit of world building that's important to the evolution of the status quo. Morrison's Animal Man, JLA, and Multiversity; Johns' Green Lantern, Justice League, and Superman; and both of them worked on 52.

You are so fucking naive, it's painful.

If any of these people had an actual, real deal interest in getting into comics, why in the ever loving fuck would they come to Sup Forums to educate themselves? Why would they not go to literally anywhere else to find some titles?
All these fuckers are interested in is the names of titles they can rattle off to deflect accusations of being a casual when they get caught shitposting. And you, like the idiot you are, enable that. So all this Sup Forums and Sup Forums shit that has infested the board? That's YOUR fault because you refuse to help maintain some level of entry standard. Because apparently it's completely unreasonable to expect that people posting on a forum about comic books actually know a damn thing about comic books.

>If any of these people had an actual, real deal interest in getting into comics, why in the ever loving fuck would they come to Sup Forums to educate themselves?
Because they're already on Sup Forums.
>Why would they not go to literally anywhere else to find some titles?
CBR, ComicVine and ComicsAlliance are objectively worse than Sup Forums, and would give objectively worse references leading to objectively worse fans.
>All these fuckers are interested in is the names of titles they can rattle off to deflect accusations of being a casual when they get caught shitposting.
I don't know about "all of them", you paranoid schizo fuck, but this guy just wants the basic info on the larger DC Universe, it's a very common question and it's one that I've helped IRL friends with who are normally only interested in one or two characters, it's a very common step after you're done reading the OGNs and the Killing Jokes and what have you, and it's very different than collecting "essential" run names that you'll never actually read, like all the Sup Forums rec images.

I'll just clear up a thing. I've been keeping up with Rebirth since it started and it just made me want to read the bigger and better storylines that've come out of DC in what's now the established canon.

I've read comics for years, just not DC.

This are, IMO, the most essential stories with DC Rebirth.

- Watchmen. It isn't part of the DCU history, but still needed for DC Rebirth.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths. Death of the Multiverse and de-facto starting point for almost everything.
- Wally West Flash. Introduces the Speed Force and other DC cosmic mumbo jumbo.
- Death and Return of Superman. Pretty important story of big blue.
- Infinite Crisis. Return of the Multiverse
- 52. Sequel to Infinite Crisis and features C-list characters being awesome.
- Final Crisis. Morrison's take on Darkseid and the final fate of the Monitors.
- Flashpoint. Barry Allen makes everything going to hell and tries to fix it.
----------------HERE STARTS THE NEW 52-------------------------------------------------------
Justice League - Origin. It's pretty bad, but still is a foundational rock for the new universe.
Morrison's Action Comics. Features the origin of new 52 Superman and some extra stuff.
Forever Evil. Multiversal invasion and required lecture for Darkseid War.
Multiversity. Follows some plot points of Morrison's AC and also features the new multiverse.
Justice League - Darkseid War. Bookends the new 52.
Lois and Clark - Reintroduces the pre-new 52 Superman. Skip Convergence, but the Superman mini is ok.
Last Days of Superman. New 52 sups kicks the bucket, surprise.
DC Rebirth. The one-shot that ended the new 52.
-------------HERE STARTS DC REBIRTH-------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to make it the most simplistic posible, because it's really easy to branch out. For example, if you liked Green Lantern on Death and Return, that leads to a lot of material like Emerald Twilight and the John's GL epic.

There are lots of runs that you can read that make the DCU more well rounded (John's JSA for example), so take this as a starting point only, not a be-all end-all story of the DCU.

Also,
>Because apparently it's completely unreasonable to expect that people posting on a forum about comic books actually know a damn thing about comic books.
You're a fucking idiot that doesn't read anything outside of Marvel and DC, and even then show cursory at best knowledge about the biggest characters, I've engaged in multiple shitpost wars and know you for the 24/7 Sup Forums lurking, non-comic reading shit flinging casual that you are, so fuck off.

Don't respond to the anti-reccs guy. He has been doing this for months, maybe years now.

>CBR, ComicVine and ComicsAlliance are objectively worse than Sup Forums, and would give objectively worse references leading to objectively worse fans.
Boo fuckity hoo. Maybe they should do what literally everyone who isn't a damn retard does, and just pick something up that looks interesting instead of having some biased asshole dictate your tastes for you. That's a fucking thought.

>this guy just wants the basic info on the larger DC Universe
Then they should look at a wiki or something. This IS the Internet after all, which I apparently have to remind you is a worldwide network infrastructure primarily serving as an information repository. If you have to actually ask someone for a piece of info in 2017, you have failed as a sapient life form, and you need to kill yourself at once.

fair enough, keep Zero Hour on the list then

this is a solid list, follow this one OP

And I have to add, that since Hal Jordan plays heavily in Zero Hour and is Geoff John's waifu, you should also look into Emerald Twilight and Final Night if you get curious about Hal and his character arc.

He is Johns' self insert, Sinestro is the waifu

I've been reading his rebirth book and he's definitely a character I wanna read into.

>lying on an anonymous imageboard

Then you want a bit of Return of Superman, Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, Final Night, The Specter, and then John's GL run starting at GL Rebirth.

Would suggest Emerald Dawn just for a different take on the origin

Go to bed Cranky