Do you think it's as hot as I do?

It's simple, Anons. This is the first Batmobile I ever knew. I think it's the best version of the car, aesthetically, gadget-wise, and of course in its sound. But here's the rub.

I don't know if my appreciation of the aesthetics are due to my inherent bias of youth and first loves, or if this sentiment is in fact shared by others of all ages.

The Batmobile from the 60's, while unique and utterly iconic, is not something that looks particularly menacing to me. The later Batmobiles from the 90's get too cartoony with too many bright lights, and I really don't like The Tumbler...it's a car that is not refined in any sense of the word, and in my view, like his Batsuit, it should have gotten more advanced as the movies went on.

The most recent iteration seems to combine from all of the serious aesthetics, but that in itself is a problem...you can see that it's a combination rather than an original idea. To me, that's yet another weakness...and of course I think it's too short and stocky.

For me, the Furst Batmobile is beautiful, dangerous, powerful, and sleek. Is it just me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QnVl_TXhoZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One more. God, even in the shop it looks sexy.

I have a sad story about it. I had this car as a toy and once I lost it inside my father's car and I never found it again =\

I didn't see this movie growing up so I also think it's the fucking GOAT

It just looks too juvenile

In what way, precisely? I mean this seriously, so if you can, answer seriously.

The best with pic related. Same for the kino they're both related with.

Spoiler because too sexy.

>dragster
>wants me to elaborate
????/

all you faggots step aside

sexiest batmobile ever coming through

Well, you can understand that I didn't mention the Animated precisely because it was not 'real'. The shape distorts from episode to episode when they're not using stock footage, so while I agree it's damn sexy, it's inconsistent and also entirely derived from the Furst '89 that I'm curious about.

When that movie came out I remember somebody (my mom?) telling me that that car cost $1 million dollars to make. I was amazed.
I would have been even more amazed had I known I would still be living with her 28 years later -- and not because it would make a great third entry in a certain zombie franchise. Though sometimes I feel like a zombie. I like dried fruits.

fucking mr. bean in his mini cooper looks more sophisticated than batman in this

Occasionally on this board it's possible to have serious discussions about film, tv, and all the aesthetic decisions that occur in production.

I'm simply...encouraging that. So, I want to know. If you think it's juvenile, tell me why. I'm not testing you, I'm no criticizing you. I'm asking you for your opinion on something and the reasons that are behind that opinion. I'm curious.

Iconic yes, sexy yes...but the open roof is one of the things that breaks it for me. While it's awesome for them to jump in and out of, it seems woefully unprotected...that's what I mean by it not looking menacing enough (also it sits too high).

first thing it's evocative of is an american drag racer. It gives the impression of being an incredibly juvenile form of car racing.
You literally just go in a straight line as fast as possible.

Both answers are correct.

Best Batmobile passing through.

How did the shields work? Did they just materialize when he pushed the button?

haven't seen this since childhood. tempted to rewatch but afraid of ruining good memories of it.

Thank you, now I'm starting to understand. In what way is drag racing juvenile though? From what I can tell, drag racing is the most efficient race that focuses on the equipment used rather than skill of the driver or human error. In other words, it removes nearly all other impediments that can happen in a lapped race and the only thing that matters is the build differences between the two cars...

I don't get how that is juvenile...perhaps inhuman maybe...

Yeah, no I watched re-runs of the '68 show before the movie came out. The '89 batmobile is still the best in any medium.
Hell, in the comics, most pencillers couldn't even draw cars so we never got a decent looking one until the burton batmobile appeared.

I've always wondered that too...that's the one thing that is fantastical about the original that I don't really like about it, though it still looks cool when it's on. As a kid I accepted it, but of course now it's a little too much...

The 70s Neal Adams Batmobile wasn't too bad

Snyderfags are the lowest kind of human shit. The burtonmobile is gold.

moving on from that, the tumbler to me is the difinitve version of the batmobile, not because of the way it looks but the sequences it was in.
It's pretty obvious that nolan used the autojet chase from thx 1138 as a prototype for the tumbler chase sequences in batman begins.
Both sequences made each film easily a top 5 for me.

it's absolutely perfect for the look and tone of the film

see i'm actually a 'lucasfag' or 'nolanfag' i guess

Watch it user. The score by Danny Elfman alone is worth it, it's easily his best score (followed closely by Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and Sleepy Hollow). The scenes of stop motion animation they used for the Batwing sequences are phenomenal, and hold up to time really really well.

The acting is fine, but again I think I accept it through the lens of childhood. Not everyone likes Nicholson's Joker...I like his make-up, if that helps. I like the design of the city too..Burton really has harsh contrasts between the city, Vicky's Apartment, Wayne Manor, The Cathedral...it's very atmospheric.

Watch it again...you won't ruin anything. If anything, you're old enough to appreciate how non-atmospheric the Nolan movies are, and perhaps why the current Batman has perhaps the right heart but the wrong execution.

It's even magical in some places...there's always one shot in every Burton movie.

It does look cool, I guess that's all that matters in this case

it's easily one of the best superhero films

Interesting! Nolan does action really well in my view, and he uses the Tumbler in realistic ways where the physics of the car rings true no matter what it does. The sequences are definitely clean yet rugged, and you feel like it's a weapon on wheels and only that.

But I must say, my interest and the reason I created this topic is more on why or why not this is the best version of the car, at least on screen. I don't disagree with your views about the quality of the action sequences...certainly the ones in the Nolan films featuring the Tumbler are the best of the franchise...but the car itself...what is it that works for you?

Well I can concede that I don't really care about the design if it's just sitting there.
I guess since people are shooting at batman and he's smashing through walls, the tank aspect works really well. It's also juxtaposed with the lines of a supercar and speed.
Also the sound design, does that count? If they went for 'realism' and made it a low-rev engine it probably wouldn't have worked very well.

Absolutely sound design counts! It's the whole package. The realism of Nolan's version definitely goes through all the aspects, and the high-pitched aspect to it actually makes me 'hear' that it has high-tech installed (electric motors to work gadgets, perhaps a faster speed than it looks, etc.), and that combined with the heavy thump and sound of the huge rubber tires is a very interesting combination sonically.

To that point of sound, I love the sound of the 1989 for the opposite reasons. The very low pitched almost diesel pulsation of the engine, combined with the jet engine sound effects they throw in when the back fires up when he's driving to the Batcave. That to me is, once again, pushing this 1989 version into the territory of aesthetics over practicality. Perhaps that's an equal choice one can make...but I do love the sound design in this sequence.

youtube.com/watch?v=QnVl_TXhoZs

I saw Nolan and Adam Wear first, but I've always liked this for its unique look

Sure Nolan and Snyder's batmobiles had better action sequences, but this just looks cool and mysterious

I am a Snyderfag. The Burton Batmobile is still the best.

The car is owned by a grown man who dresses up as a bat.

>rst thing it's evocative of is an american drag racer. It gives the impression of being an incredibly juvenile form of car racing.
>hurrr drivers are smarter than the engineers

Thanks Anons for your thoughts on this. As a last thought, we're very fortunate that both the Nolan and the Burton Batmobiles look timeless...it's difficult to play either of them in the era they were made....but the others, perhaps not so much.

Have a good night.