Are we in the end times for Archie Sonic?

Are we in the end times for Archie Sonic?

Other urls found in this thread:

previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN171337
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's been the end of times since they adapted the plot from the first Sonic Adventure game.

In all likelihood, yes.

Oh Boco, say it ain't so ;-;

I hope the final issue of Sonic: Mega Drive gets released before it ends, it's literally the only Sonic comic I care about.

-Still no subscriptions available
-No solicits through June
-the last issue of Mega Drive has been removed from PreviewsWorld and labelled 'cancelled'
-Ian Flynn is writing Jughead now

Writing is on the wall, it seems.

T-There's gotta be hope

Even if it meant just cutting back on Sonic Universe and JUST having the main Sonic book

If its getting cancelled for the reason people think it is, then Sega is pulling the license 100%. Nothing left.

RIP Sonic Comics
For over a decade you've given me countless hours of entertainment and stories. Maybe you might get picked up by another publisher that isn't complete shit or it is the end days for Sonic in comics. All I can say is thank you Sonic and fuck Ken Penders

>Ian Flynn is writing Jughead now
Well, my evening is ruined.

"Duckface" Henderson was the first person they tapped to do art for the book, and having Flynn brought on as the new writer is where you draw the line?

the other writer is waid

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Gesundheit.

Ian claims that he intends to write both simultaneously.

Last update that Boco forgot to include: Tracy Yardley! has said that SEGA & Archie are talking.

Probably.

I kind of don't care for some reason, I've fallen like dozen of issues behind with Archie Sonic at this point because I didn't think series recuperated after loss of characters Ian worked on for years, and he couldn't quite fill the void for me.

I think addition of characters like Honey is nice and all, but I am honestly always more excited about returning characters. Like Kukku.

The problem is that it's been like 40 issues of just mainline series and I still don't feel like void has been filled.

Good chances, but ah well. If it happens, it happens, and we can't do anything about it. If it doesn't, then that'll be nice. No use agonizing over it for now.

Well, it's been a good(?) run, I remember seeing the comic for the first time in a BX on base around the time Sonic Adventure came out. Anyone got a favorite moment in the story? Mine would usually be the cool downs after a long arc, that and the "Sonic the Fighters" adaptation.

>-Ian Flynn is writing Jughead now
For fuck's sake stop listing this as evidence, every comic writer who wants to earn a half decent living has to write multiple books. Flynn himself was writing four not that long ago.

I was always aware of the comic from back when I got Sonic Mega Collection as a little kid and saw those covers/pages in the bonus sections.

I didn't get into reading it until like 3 or more years ago when Sup Forums did the first Sonic Marathon.

That's already been cancelled.

I'd tell you to shut up, Boco, but I legit lol'd.

It'll be worth flushing Archie down the toilet and having SEGA sell the rights to a Sonic comic to another publisher just to get Ken Penders completely out the picture.

I don't want him to have a single fingernail involved in Sonic. Having him fight for "his" characters only to have them banished to another dimension then retconned out of existence entirely THEN having the comic that they originally appeared no longer exist is a fitting end. Plus the reprints will stop and he wont get a penny in royalties any more.

>Sonic the Fighters
Best arc from the reboot, hands down.

They already don't do reprints with his material anymore.

He's still entitled to royalties for any reprints of issues that feature his characters.

They can if they want, they just haven't lately. Course, they haven't reprinted ANYTHING lately, so...

Boco you willfully ignorant moron, they stopped reprinting anything with past authors' materials long before this hiatus.

I'm pretty sure I saw a few reprints with Scourge post reboot.

The reprints with past author stories and materials happened after the reboot, but only by about a year or two.

Then reprints just stopped in general, right?

Yes, it's finally coming to an end.

Once again, Archie & SEGA are currently in talks. So chances are, they're probably trying to work something out.

But I guess we can keep saying "IT'S OVER," or something.

No, they reprinted Flynn material that didn't cover preboot material. Those were slow because Archie was broke as fuck.

Let's not forget that SEGA, particularly with Sonic, isn't in THAT great of a position with fans either

Would they really risk the insane amount of bad PR they'd get from pulling the license and ending a 20+ year run?

honestly archie has fucked up once too many. they could very be still talking to other publishers at the same time to keep the leagacy and numbering alive. disney comics have shifted publishers multiple times because of fuck ups and kept the numbering too. i don't see why sega can't do it with their sonic comic.

So shall we commence the ending of Archie's Sonic with one last go on "The Ride"?

The comic has been losing subscribers since the reboot which is bullshit, since the comic was practically unreadable until the reboot and Archie Sonic fans are a very small subset of Sonic fans in general.

Anyway, if another Sonic comic were to take Archie Sonic's place, what kind of tone or style should they go for and who should work on it? I'd like to see a humor comic that takes advantage of Sonic's western cartoon inspirations. Something with the wackiness and pacing of AoStH with the self-awareness of Sonic Boom with the appreciation for the franchise in general that Ian Flynn has.

It hurts knowing that they do nothing with the franchise outside of throwing mud at the wall hoping something will stick.

It annoys me to no end knowing that even though Sega owns the all the reboot characters, they won't touch them if the comic gets canned because I have no fucking clue. I think they're allergic to non human, non playable characters that aren't the main cast.

>The comic has been losing subscribers since the reboot

Doesn't help that after that hiatus last year alot of comic shops didn't bother to stock it anymore.

I havent read any of this since sonicscanf stopped posting them. Where's a good place to catch up?

Why'd they stop? Law reasons?

they said it was "out of respect for Ian Flynn and his work" because they tried and failed to raise volunteer money to pay archie back somehow

ReadComicsOnline

it's happening

user, I think it's time we stopped denying the fact the comic just can't be saved at this point. The reboot was a bandaid that ultimately didn't hold.

Besides, Sally and the Freedom Fighters have lost their purpose. Thanks to Sega introducing its own cast, they're completely arbitrary, only enjoyed by those who hold nostalgia over their original selves.

It's a shame for it to end this way, but let's be honest, the series we all cared about died with The Pendering. And the book had been shit for a while before that (thanks Kaminski).

What legit breaks my heart is we may not get the final part of Mega Drive, the best Sonic comic Archie has ever produced.

Who knows at this point? I'm hesitant to say it is, since I would've thought we would've hear word by now if it was definitive.

My best guess is that the Fulop lawsuit decides the fate, but I dunno.

I question if any of these writers realize what they're doing will earn them the permanent scorn of the entire Sonic community and the taunting of the entire comics community.

Honestly Im amazed it even lasted this long

Well, it's harder for people to direct their scorn and taunts at him. As far as I know, he has no real presence on the internet.

Penders has consistently made an ass of himself and has come off as completely unlikable on social media. The way he continues to carry himself will direct most of the hate away from Fulop anyway, even if his lawsuit is the final nail in the coffin.

The only thing I care about is Mega Drive being cancelled before it's conclusion.

there was an issue of the main comic coming up with Honey in Studiopolis Zone. I wish it could have at least ended there.

So, actually, how does the main story end so far?

After the Shattered World Crisis, the book started a flashback arc showing the ArchieSonic version of the classic games.

The CD adaptation was the last issue.

Interesting, so if it ends here the comic will have ended on a redo of issue 25 that was made to commemorate Sonic's 25th anniversary

I stopped reading them years ago.

fuck

I want this

I hope, if anyone was going to get the Sonic License, it'd be either IDW or DC. They'd both care about the comic at the very least, and regardless of company, you'd get crossovers with other properties since DC and IDW love crossing over, whether its TMNT or The Flash or Scooby-Doo.

>the series we all cared about died with The Pendering

Speak for yourself. I've been enjoying the reboot more than the preboot stuff.

Wait, so is the cancellation of the final part of Mega Drive really confirmed? I don't even read this comic, but I was getting all the Mega Drive issues because they're just that good. I'm actually rather upset about the Archie cancellation if only because of this.

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's not looking good.

It was listed as cancelled on previewsworld's cancellations and a few places like Comixology have taken the page down saying it's been cancelled by publisher.

>not Eggman's Dozen
Close second, though!

but it need a conclusion.

>What legit breaks my heart is we may not get the final part of Mega Drive
It's a curse

French comic was awesome.

trust me when I say this, Penders and his special breed of autism will find a way much like the dinosaurs of jurassic park.

I honestly would not be surprised if 20 years after he dies a company tries to reprint the entire series only to trigger Kens resurrection from the grave just to cause another shitstorm

Dont worry anons, even if the comic is cancelled, he will always live on in our hearts

I doubt Ian can be upfront if Sonic is ending. He may be forced to say anything that doesn't confirm Sonic is over.

Like "Lost Hedgehog Tales are totally going to be released"?

Get a room, snivelyfag.

As soon as Mania drops, we could try. Sup Forums wanted one as well. I suggested a trial board where that could take place.

What's this called?

Let's get something straight for the record here.

Sup Forums 2013 was "The Sonic Marathon"
Sup Forums 2014 was "The Ride"
2017 is ______

They are not all "rides."

How about "Storytime?"
'Cause there's a lot to be told.

What are the chances of IDW grabbing it and using their relationship with TellTale to get a "choose your own adventure" bullshit game to go with it?

I'm not too picky, but what will really make the name stick is the new "conductor" (name also pending) insists upon

You little bastard.

Most comic dumps are referred to as storytimes already.

I haven't seen a Sonic comic dumped in some time. Were they at least still going strong before this?

>DC
>Looney Tunes
>Sonic can finally fucking race Road Runner, Speedy, and Flash

The world isn't ready

>Thunderfag
Breezie's much easier on the eyes. And she's rich.

I suppose that if the comic really is ending here, then this is probably the best possible place for it to stop while it's not in the middle of any story arc to be left in the air forever. (Besides Mega Drive #3 and a Sonic 3 adaptation)

When you look at how the prereboot continuity ended, it could be a lot fucking worse.

She's a bit of a hard sell as "Breezie" though. Not a shred of her original character is present.

> thank you for taking a video game with a vague premise and attempting to lard drama and characters crying into it
> thank you for "drink his hate-paste"
> thank you for tails babysitter doujin
> thank you for Chris-Chan and subsequently kiwifarms and Chris' vagina
> thank you for Ken Penders
> thank you for the only fandom that hasn't let go harder than Samurai Jack's
> thank you for fans who insist that Sega licensed comics keep Archie alive despite them being the poorest sellers
> thank you for that baby that fell and broke into robot pieces
> thank you for keeping Jaleel White from knocking over liquor stores

But seriously it also gave us Tails Gets Trolled so that pretty much makes up for the rest

Would have been nice to at least end with the 4th part of the story arc.

Sort of? The Unleashed arc was wrapped up with satisfaction, notably that bird guy completely fucking annihilating the freedom fighters. But if the comic ends now we'll never see anything done with the other Egg Bosses, which is pretty much unforgivable and I'll boycott Mania on release for whatever it's worth.

>the last issue of Mega Drive has been removed from PreviewsWorld and labelled 'cancelled'
This hurts the most. I know getting proper closure on the main storyline wasn't gonna happen, but at least we could have had this.

>I'll boycott Mania on release for whatever it's worth.
Don't do that, guy. The return of Genesis flavored Sonic should be a thing to celebrate, and needs support if Sega is ever going to see the importance of gameplay over their other recent flavorless dreck. The comics ending really isn't Taxman's team's fault.

I don't know, I never really liked Flying Battery and Green Hill. If it were Hydrocity or Marble Gardens, Hilltop or Starlight though, day fucking 1.

Green Hill is probably a Sega mandate. They can't not reference it.

Anyways, the real draw is hopefully going to be the new levels.

>the last issue of Mega Drive has been removed from PreviewsWorld and labelled 'cancelled'
Fuck. FUCK.

Can we stop lying?
previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN171337

>Finally finish setting up the third universe after the third reboot
>Cancelled

The absolute STATE of this man right now

Could it have changed? I didn't see it if and when it was labeled "canceled."

>I'll boycott Mania on release for whatever it's worth
Really makes you think if Sega is deliberately keeping everyone in suspense with regards to the Comic's future in order to not get any bad press that can affect the anticipation for Mania.

If the hammer is officially dropped after Mania debuts, then that'd be the smoking gun.

There's a news story from Sonic Stadium.com saying that it was cancelled, but no confirmation beyond that. It says it was listed as "cancelled" in the april order form on PreviewsWorld, but I'm looking through it right now and can find no such listing. There just aren't any listings for Sonic at all.

Hate to use the buzzword, but... fake news.

Maybe he should have just written fun stuff instead of deep lore.

Sega absolutely doesn't care about that, but comic companies never give 'press' about company negotiations, and they wouldn't start with ones theyre having trouble with.