What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Delays

Not enough people buying.

Capefans are too stupid and only want to eat up slop like Rebirth

Not enough tie-ins with muh Batman

Delays, and released the trade for the first arc four months after it finishes

Delays and they release the trade 2 years after the arc is finished.

>It's always someone else's fault
Tsk tsk

Having 3 of the 7 DC books that are readable is too stressful for one imprint.

>New Super-Man
>Flintstones
>Deathstroke
>Shade the Changing Girl
>Doom Patrol
What are the other 2?

Which Young Animal book don't you like, user
is it Mother Panic? I bet it's Mother Panic.

Nightwing is great, Cave Carson is interesting.
I'm reading Titans but I wouldn't describe it as good.

>Doom Patrol
>Shade
powergap
>Cave Carson
powergap
>Mother Panic (nice art tho)

Nightwing feels derivatve, but the standards are lower since Dick never had a GREAT run as Nightwing

I need to check out Deathstroke.

I agree with that order but I still think all four of them are really good. Doom Patrol is probably my favorite thing coming out.

My only problem with Nightwing is that I thought Grayson was a lot better.

>Shade
>Doom Patrol
>Cave Carson
>Flintstones
>Detective Comics
>RHatO
>Teen Titans
It's Mother Panic.

It will read way better in large chunks. The first trade that is out does not even include the last three issues in the arc, but that is totally on Priest for writing a fucking nine issue long story (that's actually still continuing because it's a huge keiku story)

Nightwing is crap compared to Red Hood right now

those last three are hot garbage
Nightwing is better than them.

I did get a heavily decompressed vibe from flipping through the first issue, but I'm a Priest fan and I'm happy for him that he actually got to write a character he wanted to write instead of "Hey, you can write one of our black guys right?" so I'll be checking it out for sure.

Nightwing is not better than RHatO right now, it was pretty good up until the whole Deathwing thing.

let's be honest here the first couple of issues with Babs were pretty weak because babs a shit but other than that I think it's great. What do you have against Deathwing?

The weirdest thing is that I can't even really call it decompressed. The deal is that Priest has ~4 storylines running at the same time, with at least four pages dedicated to each every issue. So yeah, it is decompressed, but at the same time, a fuck load of plot development is happening. It really can be described as 24: The Comic.

If any book needed the "deluxe" edition, it would probably have been Deathstroke, mainly to collect all relevant parts of a story.

It was a gimmick meant to get people to buy D-list titles with B-list creative teams via a simple rebranding, and no one fell for it.

>24: The Comic
Well then. Good thing I let fifteen issues pile up before giving it a shot. Let the party begin.

My younger cousin who has never bought a comicbook in his life texted me out of the blue about Doom Patrol and has been buying every issue. Don't underestimate the draw that Way has with the "middle batch" of millennials.

I love that the Dick and Damian are teaming up against Pyg again but I thought that the issue with Deathwing was a little too meta commentary, him wearing the New 52 costume and everything.

Quality-wise nothing. They're the only books from DC I haven't dropped yet.

It's just not as good as Lobdell/Soy firing on all cylinders

Dick got injected him with drugs that granted him multiversal awareness. Of course it was meta as shit.

DC can't promo it because it makes their regular line look like shit.

is the changing girl good?

its the best YA book

Nothing really, they've got 4 books under the imprint and most people like at least 1 of them, usually Doom Patrol, DP is the only one I'm pulling right now though i'd get Shade as well but I've never read the original series and have a limited budget

Did they have a similar problem back in the 80s when all the brits came over and showed americans how to write comics?

Shade's great, but has almost zero connection (so far) to the Milligan and Ditko stuff. Apparently the original Rac Shade was a person in the world, but that is it.

Yeah but it's dumb. It's the same reason I'm not liking the Superman line up right now, it's too obsessed with talking shit on the New 52.

it's more than good
New52 Nightwing was horrible and the red costume is garbage. I still miss fingerstripes.
They didn't actually draw THAT much attention to the costume, anyway.

No I don't think animosity started until Vertigo became it's own imprint since Berger understood that a low seller could potentially become big in trades. So you had DC guys mad that their comics were being cancelled while something like Y:The Last Man sold less and got a full run

They're promoing the fuck out of it at wondercon

Awful timing, because Rich the Leech just ran a thing saying that Doom Patrol is on hiatus after #6 for the future

Nothing at all as far as I'm aware.
Doom Patrol is great and shaping up to be even better.
Cave Carson has an interesting story, unique art, and a silver age charm.
I've heard good things about Shade, I need to try it.
Mother Panic is the only one that seems like a stinker to me, I read two issues and couldn't give a fuck about it, but apparently some people like it.

DC's latest approach to imprints is interesting, with it's small line approach with a "curator" at the helm. Did Vertigo develop in a similar manner?

>make good books with high level talent that has marketability outside of the medium/genre
>people don't buy it
>not the people's fault
Fuck right off

>A parallel universe exists where Doom Patrol was the DCCU's version of Guardians
>You don't live there

well it is going on a hiatus.
BC wants you to think that hiatus means cancelled, when really hiatus just means its taking a couple months off to get caught up and decide whats next.

If there was a book to be cancelled, it would probably be Shade, because the numbers are not good for that one despite how great it is (I'm part of the problem, but I do have the trade ordered):

10/2016: Shade #1 -- 35,289
11/2016: Shade #2 -- 21,479 (- 39.1%)
12/2016: Shade #3 -- 15,837 (- 26.3%)
01/2017: Shade #4 -- 13,536 (- 14.5%)
02/2017: Shade #5 -- 11,670 (- 13.8%)

DC has given you the chance to curate your own Imprint. What is it called? What is the flagship title? What 3-4 supporting titles would you want? DC has given you completely free reign so if you want to run the True Justice imprint and have a Supes, Bats, GL and WW ongoing to support your big JL comic, then that's fine. If you want to plumb the depths of DC continuity, that is also fine. The only caveat is that original characters must be legacy characters in some way (either by title or relationship).

Every logical parallel universe since the invention of the nuclear bomb has ended in nuclear holocaust, so the only one left is the one that makes the least amount of sense.

Could be worse, I guess.

>DC5th

Main ongoing is Mister Mxyzptlk and the Imps. Supported by Yz the Thunderbolt; Qwsp and the Aqualads; Bat-Mite and Rbzxynl; and Gsptlsnz, the Gal with the Fifth Dimensions.

That's still better than most of Vertigo. I don't think DC desperately needs something like this to sell a ton.

There was no trade waiting in the 90s.

I’d read those

King Komics

An eponymous anthology Kirby based book is the flagship, with New Gods, Kamandi, Etrigan and OMAC stories as well as rotating shorts of other DC Kirby characters.

I want a Green Lantern beat cop book by Chris Burnham (art and words)

A Superman/Batman book with rotating writers and artists doing short stories no more than 3 issue arcs.

Sgt Rock written by Frank Miller with any damn artists he wants

Aztek the Ultimate Man revival.

You're going to have so many typos people will think there are more characters than there actually are.
And when someone needs a background character, they're just going to slam their hands on the keyboard.

PRETENTIOUS HIPSTER BULLSHIT

But trades still sold and made money. It's not like they didn't exist.

So long as you try to round up anyone with a decent impersonation or style heavily influenced by Kirby's art style, I will back this all the way.

For the Kirby book of course. I'd try and get Mazzuchelli to do the New Gods art (his impersonation is perfect) and be the editor of the title, we need more artists into editing, they knew their shit, see Dick Giordano.

>they're just going to slam their hands on the keyboard
Isn't that how Marvel Now is written?

Sargent Rock/Martha Washington crossover when?

>No Forwarding Address

Main title is about a sentient Earth 0 interacting with various other fictional universes. These include established DC multiverse worlds as well as knock-off versions of other universes or public domain works. Earth-0 is suffering from identity confusion and is seeking therapy to help.

The other titles are Mogo: The Living Planet. This includes a back-up story following a normal family living on Mogo's surface that are constantly put out by his latest antics.

Ranx: City Living. This is Ranx before it became a yellow lantern. Instead, it is a cowardly city-planet that is constantly at odds with its war-like residents.

Danny The Street Rides Again follows the ragtag residents of the titular street as it moves around the world, righting wrongs, lending support to innocents, and generally being the nicest road around.

Weird War Tales:
Sgt. Rock; War That Time Forgot; Enemy Ace; G.I. Robot

Dc Elseworlds: this would be a little weirder in that my plan for this line would be to get different creators from around the world and write their take on some characters. ie Japanese manga creators and release it as a shonen Jump style magazine, and European comics creators doing the same thing but in their respective format

Weird but readable if done well, Danny book would be awesome

Like the first idea, the second is absolutely genius and would expand DC into different markets too.

Niche audience.

I mean Doom Patrol is beloved but it was never popular.
Just ask the previous run, which was cancelled MID BIG CONFRONTATION and a few months later the whole company got rebooted so they could easily had let it keep going till Flashpoint.

All Young Animal stories were niche among the niche ideas, and had to be pure labors of love first cause no one would in their right mind go "You know what sells? Cave Carson stories with lil bits about The Wonder Twins at the end. That's what bring in the big bucks."

That being said, I have loved all the stuff coming from Young Animal, and hope they put Trade Sales in consideration of how well it is going, cause I intend to buy them all.

1. They only sell 4 comics
2. It's literally just Vertigo, but weaker.
3. Who gives a shit about Cave Carson?

Mother panic?

I keep meaning to read it, but I just can't get myself to.

Vertigo had Karen Berger as a guiding force. She headhunted all the british talent in the first place.

oh so you just have shit taste.

I'm gonna say not enough promotion/marketing

or at least not very effective marketing but that I think is the issue with a lot of the financial pitfalls of the industry

The only truly great book out of it is Doom Patrol and it gets delayed to hell and back.

Y'all are in luck, Berserk is off hiatus and Casca is finally getting fixed!

What about the people who don't buy any comics at all, user? Why let them off the hook?

Hi 2009!

You have terrible taste.

Golden Heritage, an imprint designed around the DC universe during 1940's.

>Justice Battalion
The flagship title. Due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt has asked the Justice Society to be a little less societal and a little more battle ready! The Justice Society must ask themselves, are they heroes or are they soldiers?

>Star Spangled Comics
An anthology book that tells the stories of heroes of the homefront. Stories range in content and tone from the Star Spangled Kid and Stripsy beating up mechanical menaces to Amazing-Man being split on whether to stop a race riot or to join them.

>Crimson Avenger
Newspaper publisher Lee Travis and his young valet Wing How have taken to the streets as the first masked mystery men. Armed with a gas gun and a chip on his shoulder, the Crimson Avenger is going to make his mark!

>Weird War Tales
The Creature Commandos on Dinosaur Island, G.I. Robot fighting the Synthetic Samurai, the Haunted Tank against the Blitzkrieg Brain. Anyway that war can get weird, it does!

Planet DC
>Based on the annual event from the year 2000, Planet DC is an imprint set up to expose people to comic creators and styles from all across the globe.

Basically, it each book would be about a character or team from a certain country and a writer and artist also from that country would work on it.

For example, a Mister Unknown book written by a mangaka, or a German writer and artist might make an Enemy Ace book.

Really annoying, because Shade is far ahead of the other YA series when it comes to quality.

I did like the first few Mother Panic issues, but a large part of that was the art. The art's now completely different and unsuitable. Doom Patrol is okay, but feels like it's popping blood vessels straining for weirdness. Cave Carson - all I remember is the first issue had awful art (except for the backup).

and Shelly Bond

1. So?
2. Vertigo is pretty shit right now, they drove fucking Hellblazer into the ground and lost the title, I think that sums it up
3. Characters don't need to be notable to have good stories

Berserk is by far the best Young Animal comic.

seriously. Shade the Changing Girl and New Super-man are really the best 2 DC books by a longshot.

>gi zombie rebirth
>what's eating you Tenzil Kem
>space cabbie
>solo delirium run from he endless