/who/ - Doctor Who General

Face the Raven edition
Thoughts on Clara's farewell episode?

Other urls found in this thread:

nitro9.earth.uni.edu/doctor/fitz.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm getting serious deja vu

I refuse to talk about Face the Raven out of spite because of your incessant whining last time
You don't have ownership over new thread privileges and you and you made yourself look like a fool by getting mad over someone making a general with a random image, even though that is what about 90% of all /who/ editions are

It becomes particularly clear when you pay attention to his introductory paragraphs, I think:
>Life was a never-ending series of dramas, some big, some small. The same dramas, experienced again and again by different people all through history. Only the trappings and circumstances changed. You got a job. You bought a house. You met someone. You got married and moved into their house. You had an affair. You got the wrong person pregnant and they married your best friend. You wished you could marry your best friend.
Mundanity, you know? He's not particularly happy, he hasn't done anything remarkable, he's just wasting away working in a little flower shop, doing nothing of importance. And judging by that thought pattern there, he doesn't think there's much to life in general. Just drama after pointless drama and disappointment. There's a lot of lines I could quote that reinforce that idea, but you also need only consider how he acts to understand that he doesn't feel as though he's anything special. Constantly putting on accents, daydreaming, pretending to be someone he's not. It's a little quirk of his, but it's buried in feelings of inadequacy. That's also a pretty important thing that the Doctor showed him: the worth in just being Fitz.

Yeah, he never really gives up on those little fantasies, but by the Doctor's side, there is good to be done by just being himself. He was never meant for a mundane life, and he would never reach his full potential within one. The Doctor rescues him, in more ways than one, and although The Taint isn't one of my favourite books by any means, I value it immensely for what it establishes. Stephen Cole struck gold with the invention of Fitz, and even more so with the journey that introductory story sets him on.

does this have the potential to be good

I though it was great and don't really care about what happened on Hell Bent. Clara's death was still gut wrenching and the performances both by Jenna and Capaldi were top notch as stupid as the reasons for her death were. I really hope whatever corpse of a soundtrack they do for S9 includes the score from her death scene.

And come on this ep paved the way for Heaven Sent sooo.

>getting this angry over banter
What a fucking seppo

Yeah, there's potential. I really hope it doesn't disappoint. It's a damn shame we'll never get audios with both the War Doctor and War Master.

what banter?

How was that whining? The entire thread went to shit about politics and all I wanted to do was have a friendly discussion about Doctor Who!!
Isn't that what this general was made for?

>Jacobi master walks out from behind Simm Master who just unmasked himself
How does The Doctor Falls change?

Isn't it called Assault of the Benefactors?

desu when I saw Murder on The Orient Express a while back I spent the entire time thinking that Jacobi's character was just his Master in disguise

It becomes overstuffed and stops being as good

the bit when clara's hanging out of the tardis is really bad
that clearly fake laughter
gives me that stomach knot feeling when you see something embarrassing

Yep. That's why the comments of "Fitz as a snarky lech" is a simplification of his character that misses his inner desire to aspire higher. You know, as someone sometimes feels like I'm not anything special, I can relate to that. It's that feeling that his life is made for more that makes him prime companion material, despite his outward trappings indicating he wouldn't be interested. I have a feeling Fitz haters often don't understand that.

It becomes needlessly convoluted and loses some of its potency.

etc

whining

Omega is a really good audio.

at least they're honest

And at the end, when the Masters introduce CyberBill to the Doctor, another voice speaks up.

>DOCTOR: Bill? Bill, talk to me. What have they done to you?
>NARDOLE: Operation Exodus, whatever that is.
>MISSY: Oh, wrong name, for a start.
>(She goes and stands by Cyber-Bill's right shoulder.)
>CYBER-BILL: I waited.
>MISSY: This is not an exodus, is it? More of a beginning really, isn't it?
>CYBER-BILL: I waited.
>SIMM: In fact, do you know what I'd call it? I'd call it a genesis.
>(He stands by Cyber-Bill's left shoulder.)
>JACOBI: Specifically, the Genesis of the Cybermen.
>(Cyber-Bill reaches for the Doctor.)
>SIMM: Do you like how she's dressed, Doctor? You know, she's a lot like us in that way.
>CYBER-BILL: I waited for you.
>DOCTOR: What?
>MISSY: Well, like her...
>ROBERTS: ... We always... drezzzzzz for the occasion.

The second one isn't me and you forgot to mention on how bad that thread was.

Are you the same user that bullies the trips? Your writing style and lack of context seems really familiar.

>'i know who's writing these posts based on writing style!' meme
who do you think you are, superman?

>everyone who doesn't use capitals or full stops on Sup Forums is the same person

Was it really necessary to put Jenna in a tight ass sweater for her death scene? The emotional beats were really hitting me until pic related happened and my thoughts immediately went to how delicious her pancakes looked in that tight ass shirt. I literally popped a boner during the death scene of one of my favorite companions and it just felt really wrong. Like I legitimately think this was a fuck-up on the costume department's part

t. Peter Davison

I sort of agree. It feels sexist to say, and I'm not sure costuming should be responsible for the audience's libido, but that scene is literally the only scene that I've noticed Jenna's bust, and I wasn't even looking for it.

castrate yourselves. problem solved

Fuck you for making me reread that in Davison's voice

desu it was distracting during the entire episode

y'all need to stop thinking with your dicks

>mfw 19 days until one of the best doctors we've ever had leaves

I'll miss hartnell too

watching face the raven in the stream

I feel like the perception of him being lecherous is so wildly incorrect, in many ways. It would be more accurate to his character to say that he falls in love very, very easily. That's not to say he's above debauchery, but he's so much more than that.

Also, I think this character resource for Fitz sums him up perfectly (as it well should, considering it's official status):
nitro9.earth.uni.edu/doctor/fitz.html
Although, to be fair, it only touches upon Fitz as we first meet him, in those early adventures with the Doctor and Sam. I think it's fair to say he goes through a lot of changes as the story progresses. Most interestingly, the page is sparse where it concerns the Doctor; perhaps because by this point, their importance to each really hadn't been established. Sam was still the primary focus, and Fitz was sorta just tagging along from the ride. Moving forward, it's actually rather sweet to see how much the Doctor and Fitz come to depend on each other, and it all hearkens wonderfully back to that very first interaction between them, and that little metaphor. The Doctor really did rescue Fitz, in more ways than one, but... honestly, you were right about it applying to the Doctor, but not about the war, and not about him alone. Fitz saves the Doctor too, though not quite in the same way.

>I have a feeling Fitz haters often don't understand that.
Odd that you say that, because I only know of one person that disliked Fitz, and that's Lance Parkin... and you can tell. He never bothered to understand the character, never learned how to write him, and fucked his characterisation up so spectacularly, it's almost impressive. As far as fans go, Fitz doesn't seem to be a controversial character; I would say he's pretty universally loved, although I'm sure there exists outliers.

I'M IN YOUR AREA

I'M IN

but seriously why are you posting this on /who/

do you tick my boxes

It's literally only that scene. Like, if they just changed the last camera angle on her death, it'd fix it.

I read a few people who didn't like him. It's usually due to his surface attributes.

nobody actually likes fitz

I like fitz

I was thinking of glitz desu

Also I realize this was several threads ago, but I just got back from work, so to answer your question from
Yes

Hm, yeah. That's fair, I can understand why he'd be initially off-putting to some. I daresay his introductory story doesn't paint him in such a good light, considering his first run-in with Sam. I'd say that's the only time I was a little bit like "hmm..." myself, but I already had enough knowledge of his character to know that that wasn't him in his entirety. A lot of his negative aspects are rooted in the fact he's an emotionally constipated little shit, but he's got a heart of gold, truly.

kek

I like Fitz...

... never heard of this other guy we're talking about though.

I like Fitz. He's pretty cool.

Was a good story. Are you gonna write something for ST 2.5?

Yep. Heart of gold.

Face of Raven in the stream

The Doctor asking for a "little glass of milk" when offered alcohol at The Last Chance Saloon is the cutest fucking thing he's ever done.

Him accidentally shooting somebody a minute later is almost just as cute. Why is he being written as so adorable all of a sudden

Yes actually

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why didn't you stop ISIS or whatever

mum just finished series 3 on her rewatch and she thought that the lady who picked up the ring at the end was fucking missy lmao

Heaven Sent in the stream, about 7-8 minutes

when are you going to move out?

probably when im not a teenager

I noticed her breasts in that scene (they're centre of the shot so they're virtually impossible to not look at) but it didn't turn me on

I've only met a couple that live in share houses or uni run accommodation and that's mostly because they lived in the country and travel to sydney wasn't practical
also international students

A Christmas Carol is K I N O

>All those deleted post
What just happened?

kinda got underageb& lmao

>AMY: You know, that could almost be mistaken for a real person. The snowman isn't bad, either.
legit kek

wrong

>ban evading
are you sure that's wise

i didnt get banned

It was probably all deleted for being off topic

if we remove trips all together this could be evaded

why are there two neos
who the fuck is gwaad and starfu

newfag

cletus

>Not the faggot who decided to make anime faces based on tripfags

I bet they don't even look like that

Doctor Who is dead.

doctor who is bread

Doctor Who is lead

doctor who is shed

Doctor Who is fed

The trips made these themselves

>The Doctor: That's where NASA is. She mentioned a spaceman. NASA's where spacemen live. Also... there's another lead I'm following.
Literally what did he mean by this? Is it supposed to mean he's investigating his death? But he doesn't know about his death yet?
The Impossible Astronaut don't make no god damn sense

NOBODY NO ONE

...or is that line just supposed to signify that he's following a mysterious summons?
Also, River's reaction to witnessing the Doctor's death rings so false after seeing the rest of Series 6. I guess you explain it away as 'pretend sadness', but it's so obviously written and played as real. The whole thing stinks.

It's not pretend. This is following multi-Doctor story rules where if you cross your own timeline the younger version of you doesn't remember.

Never post again.

Oh so Spacesuit River doesn't really remember her experience? I guess that was established in The Wedding of River Song, I must've forgotten. Okay, that makes sense. I'm sorry I misjudged you, Impossible Astronaut.

In Wedding and Astronaut the implication is supposed to be that she's only just remembering what happened after she shoots and nothing happens. Later on she says something about pretending not to know what was going on the whole episode.

You have to remember, River was trained by the Silence so during this whole episode she's actually right back in the fold.

The only thing Past-11 knows at that point is "space, 1969". It's the only thing the others have let him know, which is why he gives the meaningful look when he says it.

Does anyone else remember how hype Series 6 looked when the trailers came out?

Favorite wiki page?

>Later on she says something about pretending not to know what was going on the whole episode.
I took it as she was pretending not to know about her being the one in the astronaut suit (she would have known that even if she didn't remember the event because she was convicted of the crime at some point), but she actually didn't know about the Doctor surviving.

She said she pretended not to recognise the spacesuit, which means she broadly remembers the event. But her reaction to the death in The Impossible Astronaut really strongly suggests that she thinks he's really dead.

Is there any LOST/Doctor Who series 6 type show where they actually did have everything planned out in advance and the resolution is GOAT?

The one where it was completely ruined by non-/who/re admins

The Abzorbaloff page never fails to make me not laugh.

From her perspective, the Doctor's survival happens to her her second time through the episode (she goes through three times: once as baby Melody, once as River in the Lake, and once as Thick MILF In Tight Jeans). However, she's in a Multi-River episode at that point, so it's entirely likely she doesn't remember he actually survived until she experiences it a third time and the timelines synch up.

There's a weird additional point that clouds the question of who knew what when, and that's the fact that after multi-time lord encounters, the time lord not only retains a vague hint of what happens, they also seem to then construct false memories or impressions of events. It could be "I was only pretending to be retarded" was her after-the-fact justification for uncovering those memories in real time.

Moffat's page.

Okay, I think we can assume that during the funeral scene, she thinks he's dead.
After that scene, in the diner, she's a lot more in control, so we can assume she remembers by that point.
I'm amazed I can still be confused by this story arc six years after seeing it play out for the first time.

Crossing over with , have you seen the page on the Silence? It stitches together the Church of Silence plot from their point of view.

Also, during series 5 River tells us she doesn't remember the murder so it's after Past-11 shows up at the Diner that she seems to finally put it together and remember it.