What's Sup Forums's opinion of Jim Davis? What's the consensus on him in general?

What's Sup Forums's opinion of Jim Davis? What's the consensus on him in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

garfield.com/comic/1990/05/30
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
youtu.be/KgmoMO66uPg?t=3h6m40s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit Heathcliff.

He's a hack with no talent, but he found a shtick that prints money for minimal effort so good for him.

The works of art he's inspired are of immense satirical and absurdist value. His own works, not so much.

I knew the comic existed and was popular so I assumed people liked and thought it was funny.

Apparently the last two statements aren't true.

I mean, my grandma likes it. And I liked it when I was eight and the pretty colors caught my eye. That's pretty much the comic's demographics, along with most long-running newspaper comic strips.

I have read a Garfield comic and laughed before
Can't really remember when tho

he's a goddamn genius

Early Garfield was good, wouldn't call it funny so much as "charmingly off-beat". I think once Davis started getting a fuck-ton of merch out the door with PAWS inc. slapped on it is when the strip started going down-hill

A genius

There are a few good ones, like the one where Jon swallows a cup full of dog semen.

garfield.com/comic/1990/05/30

NOW

WHERE

COULD

MY

PIPE

BE

?

?

rock solid simple concept that churned out buckets of cash. Simply amazing. But when it comes to 80's era comics, it was pretty 'meh' in my opinion when stacked up against Bloom County and especially Farside.

i love garfollini

It was made by modern day Socrates.

epin, simbly epin

youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

youtu.be/KgmoMO66uPg?t=3h6m40s

>No skills

32:00 he actually makes a good point. The whole strip is a self fulfilling prophecy

If you look at some of the comics he didn't publish, I feel like he could have been a poor man's R. Crumb if he had given himself a little more creative freedom instead of trying to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible.

He wouldn't be worth nearly a billion of dollars then

Hack fraud, but at least he knows it and allows masterpieces to be made using his work.