Does anyone else feel like it's not really Samurai Jack we deserve...

Does anyone else feel like it's not really Samurai Jack we deserve? It's okayish so far but nothing groundbreaking or worth remembering.

So far I wish it didn't exist, it leaves bad taste in my mouth for being mediocre after 13 years of waiting, my opinion of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q-K4xyRDt6o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The weak baiters have no place with Aku

I think it's just you, user.
Sorry

Instead of derailing it and claiming
>bait
and adding to another fucking thread of endless shitposting, instead I'll ask

What did you expect out of it? It's been pretty goddamn satisfactory to me. Maybe it's a little lame that the sisters got pulverized in a single episode, but it IS Samurai Jack and that's kind of it's thing.

It's just you user.

>Maybe it's a little lame that the sisters got pulverized in a single episode

I got less upset about this when my friend pointed out that the Daughters were explicitly trained not to help one another when one of them is in danger. Like, they obviously learned out to synchronize their attacks, but other than that they had a "Every man for himself" mentality drilled into them that Jack was obviously able to exploit.

To be honest I love it. IT's big and dramatic and has a strong sense of narrative focus now, and despite how easy it could take that idea and drift into "and nothing happens this episode" like SU does far too often, the story has moved forward pretty consistently so far.

If I had a complaint to give it's that the editing can be...weird. This was most noticeable in the first episode, it's gotten alot better since.

> Does anyone else feel like it's not really Samurai Jack we deserve?

We don't ~deserve~ anything...

This is the truest thing I've ever read on Sup Forums.
For any situation.

It's just a side project for Genndy before he moves on to another shitty movie for Sony. That and low budget make it somewhat unpleasant.

Think about it - they didn't even bother to fix continuity errors which are easy to spot as fuck. That says something.

>hey didn't even bother to fix continuity errors which are easy to spot as fuck. That says something.

That they weren't going to let a few minor continuity slips from a decade ago get in the way of the narrative they created to give the show a proper send-off?

I honestly don't give a shit of Jack "ACTUALLY!!!!" killed a human or two already in the original series; in general, it's obvious that taking a life is something Jack generally tried to avoid and was uncomfortable with, and the emotional arc covered in the first half of Episode 3 where he comes to term with the fact that killing in self-defense is an act he has to come to peace with was totally worth a minor continuity error.

but Genndy reached out to Cartoon Network to do this season.

By continuity errors I meant issues like Jack having his boots in one shot and not having them in another etc.

I'll take a low-budget side project over nothing at all.

Only 3 episodes in and it's become the only cartoon that I'm genuinely hyped and looking forward to within the last 7 or so years.

>I'll take a low-budget side project over nothing at all.

Well, look at new Berserk anime and say that again. You either do it well or don't do it at all.

I don't give a damn about Jack since it's gonna be 10 episodes long

>but it's the finale!
that's quite the challenge huh? finish the story of a cartoon that's been dead for years in just 10 episodes, no pressure.
it's obviously not going to please everybody and it's more than likely to be dissapointing.

but what I think is the worst offender is the addition of new characters,namely the aku girls, instead of revisiting past storylines and filling plotholes like the scientist that escaped in a rocket,or the momotaro babby they giv us these throwaway characters whose whole purpose is to die, whoever thought the akugirls weren't going to job is delusional

your opinion is shit

>plotholes

That would imply there was plot to begging with

That was the old aku user, this is the new aku, and he doesn't really care about groundbreaking or fancy new material nobody's ever tried before. If you want to be a revolutionary, go ahead.

It feels weird saying this unironically but stop being an entitled cunt.

Yeah, it feels pretty cheap so far. Jack not having his sword? What's the point? I can already tell it's going to appear in the very end in a very unsatisfying manner because it's so underused.

It's not a good conclusion.

Except old Samurai Jack was far more interesting than this new shit

The Berserk anime is just VERY badly done

You are more than welcome to stop watching it and fuck off, then

Thanks for your permission, I'll spare myself massive disappointment that will eventually emerge when you realize it was all just a rushed piece of shit.

Genndy should kill himself for making this abomination.

No it wasn't, you were younger then. Go rewatch the old episodes and then watch the new ones again. The new episodes carry the same spirit of the old ones, with the added age.

Genndy wanted to turn samurai jack into a movie but couldn't fit everything he wanted to do into 90 minutes. So we get a 5hour movie/short season.

**most samurai jack seasons have 13 episodes**
**this one is 10**
I think you're suffering from depression user, and are having difficulty finding joy in new things.

This.

>Does anyone else feel like it's not really Samurai Jack we deserve?
You're right, it's too good for this shithole.

the only bad thing it has is the low budget it has.
It could be epic if more money is invested.

I watched old episodes when they were on the adult swim marathon and they were far better

>better music
>better animation
>better artstyle
>more memorable moments

This new season has nothing of it

Man, between this and every video game in the world being shat on these days, I'm just convinced there are people who are never, ever happy with anything.

Are you taking the aging into account?

Hey, just a tip but maybe everything these days is just bad and you are so used to it that you stopped seing that. Really, think about it. I still like stuff but when I feel like something's wrong, I FEEL IT.

>It's just a side project for Genndy before he moves on to another shitty movie for Sony

Actually that's not true. His last project with Sony was a hotel Transylvania sequel and once that ended he didn't really know what he wanted to do next. He did a few cons and realized people were asking about an ending for Samurai Jack so he reached out to Mike Lazzo to see if anyone was interested.

Depending on the show's reception, he might have more cartoon kino in the works

The issue with you motherfuckers is that you make it look better than it really is, because you waited so long that you can't pass a thought that this may be bad.

Stop being hyped like retards and start thinking straight. It's just another cartoon on low budget, nothing remarkable about it.

>If I don't enjoy it then everyone else must be pretending
Hi, Randall.

>34 posts
>21 unique posters
mkay

Can you explain what about Samurai Jack isn't as superb as we claim?

Aside from animation errors and a couple of things in combat the show is literally perfect so far.

I didn't know there was a reboot until last weekend and have barely seen the originals and I think it's great

>people discuss stuff
mkay
You just make it look better than it really is and when someone claims that it isn't actually that good - you act like complete autists
too much music, the plot feels weak so far (its another someone wants to kill jack episode)

I mean there's like a dozen posts in here about it being a low budget hack job using the exact same style of phrasing that until now never actually answered anyone in the thread.

oh, well that's just inexcusable
i sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

>too much music, the plot feels weak so far (its another someone wants to kill jack episode)

This is literally a subjetive complaint, which is also hard to believe considering the too much music complaint comes from the fact that the original indeed didn't have that much music but saying the plot is weak is stupid because it's literally the same type of story you would get from the original.

Did you even liked Samurai Jack to begin with? Ask yourself that for a second.

Are you talking about the scene where we see him lose his boots but then you see the boot tracks in the temple?

this sounds dumb but jack actually made me excited for something again

it's like when i was a kid and i would always get excited when a new episode of spongebob or something would come up every week, only now i'm an adult

Yeah, it got worse in ep3.

You're literally complaining about one shot per episode, its like leaving a small stain on a beautiful painting are peole gonna really gonna care about the painting or the stain?

>continuity errors
You mean nitpicking

They were fake user, as proved like a minute later when after the daughter follows them he pops out of the ceiling without his boots still.

I think it's been very good already and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Holy shit, this, I also felt the same with JoJo.

PART 5 WHEN YOU CUNTS

>People complaining about the new SJ season
Well, it was bound to happen eventually, I'm guessing we'll have threads where people are unsatisfied with how they end things

read the manga

I don't like his PTSD friend, it feels like it's done very poorly. And was there a deeper meaning to the white wolf in episode 3? It felt like a deus ex to save his ass for no reason

It's the same guy just shitting on something.

I'm already reading steel ball run and it's amazing, this fucking background art, Araki can't be human.

The only complaints so far that I've seen levied that aren't pure trolling for (You)'s is the minor animation errors. (Bear-no beard, boots-no boots, club-no club)

These things add up to literally than three seconds of screen time, and yet it's the only thing people can say in an over an hour of animation is bad about the show. 3. Seconds.

That wolf was in the second episode, and he was just there. Samurai Jack always had shit like this.

When little errors stack up, they get big enough to ruin the show, you know. 3 episodes and there were more errors than in the entire 4 seasons of old Samurai Jack.

You fags are working fast with this one. Is this the fastest Sup Forums started to turn on something?

I hate to be that guy but I do have another complaint, 2 actually.

First is the Wolf, at first I thought it was a metaphor but in episode 3 he literally shows up and saves Jack, for no reason.

And the second one it's when Jack is fighting the daughters in the snow, Jack swings the bat at them and then stops to take a breather, I seriously do not understand why the FUCK did they not attack him there.

Minor, but saying that aside animation SJ has been flawless is wrong.

I dont like it since episode 1 and so far it's getting worse.

Yes that's what I was saying

They didn't attack him because he was on guard.

You never liked SJ in the first place.

I like the old one. Was simpler yet better.

No he wasn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=q-K4xyRDt6o

2:10, please explain me why they didn't kill him right there.

I'm telling you! Jack had no openings.

>the plot feels weak so far (its another someone wants to kill jack episode)
LONG AGO IN A DISTANT LAND was all the plot there ever was. The Daughters appearing in 3 episodes in a row is the most continuity since Scotsman saves Jack.
You're basically complaining it's too different while complaining it's too same.

Or, maybe, you are a asshole that never learned enough about art to criticize it.

Glad you are missing out. Some people don't deserve to be happy. You are one of them. Enjoy that at least.

Not to mention he had already kill 3 of them becouse they were careless

user, are you baiting?

Explain how the episode 1 fights are worse than the standard fight scenes in the old episodes.

They themselves might have been out of stamina just like him.

I've seen enough fucking episodes of Samurai Jack to realize how he fights.

Then why aren't they breathing or something? They are just standing there.

He never said anything about the fight scenes.

Why didn't Aku kill Jack the few times he was able to?

What would be a Samurai Jack deserving of your refined tastes, OP?

That is a problem Samurai Jack has, correct.

I never claimed the original to be perfect, either. Jack learns to Jump Good being the prime example of it.

It's animation for television. Errors are basically inevitable because of how cheap the budget is. Even movies, animated or otherwise, make mistakes like this for time to time.

Is it weird that Jack gets his boots back for a brief shot, or there are 8 figures from an overhead shot during the tomb scene? Sure, but it doesn't bother me so much that I drop the show.

That's 70% of the appeal for Samurai Jack. It's an action cartoon.

Aku was never as serious as the daughters were portrayed to be

The wolf doesn't save him, Jack saves himself. It just shows up and hangs out with him. It could also be seen more as a metaphor for Jack's inner survival instinct than a literal wolf.

I'm ignoring the OP cause what the hell do you mean deserve? After contributing nothing, a show you like was resurrected and you feel shortchanged? I'll be sure to let the Cartoon Gods know you're displeased next time I pass through whatever fantasy land you live in where anyone deserves anything.

sorry, rant over
N.E.Waze, I never watched Samurai Jack as a kid. It seemed lame, and that's as much reason to avoid it as I needed back then.

Is it worth watching as an adult?
To give an example of my tastes, Dune and The Dark Tower are my favorite books, Sandman, Lucifer, and Watchmen my favorite comic books, Bojark Horserman and Avatar are my favorite cartoons (that I can think of atm).

Btw I'd appreciate any other recommendations too. Currently reading the Invisibles but it's sort of meandering and unfocused so far.

Not really, the wolf feeds Jack, protects him from the cold and helps his wound to heal, nor metaphors or actual wolves would do that.

>maybe everything these days is just bad
How can someone unironically say "back in MY DAY..." and still expect to be taken seriously?

He was literally delivering a killing blow in the graveyard episode. For some unknown reason, he loosed his hold on Jack when the sword failed.

Shock obviously.

I kinda feel you, OP.
The tone is different from previous seasons, It feels like its trying to be a 'big boys' cartoon, but its like something is missing from the samurai that was flung into the future and tries to go back to the past.
Jack changed, and Im not sure if I like this change or not.
Ill have to watch more episodes as they come out and see, I guess.

If you nitpick every instance where plot armour is too far fetched, you'll never enjoy an action movie or show again.

Jack was the one who stopped himself from actually bleeding, though. The wolf just made him a bit more comfortable

Do take in mind the fact that THIS MAN right here is 56 years old
And he looks like he's barely in his 30's

I bet he himself has a Stand

Except for, you know, scaramouche, or the scenes with aku

>nothing groundbreaking
very true. i wish there were more experimental cartoons pushing the boundaries of animation and writing, unfortunately TV isn't a place for that. It takes a lot of money and time to make a cartoon so its more about execution and doing what people know already works.
what made samurai jack originally so captivating was its visual direction, sense of atmosphere and the action. it came out at a time when cartoons like billy & mandy, Duck Dogers, EEnE, were the norm. the only network cartoons getting pushed were comedy where slapstick humor was the omnipresent force behind every show on cartoon network, so a show centered around action, art, and a little bit of drama was really refreshing.
personally, I think it still is. I still get the sense that samurai jack is one of a kind and stands apart from its contemporaries entirely. the only thing that's changed is that art and visual aspects take a much more central role in all cartoons we're seeing today

but at the same time co is getting meme bombed pretty hard by SJ which is killing the vibe

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't feel the same, I'd rather watch more old Jack instead of this derailed old man.

C'mon guys, are you stupid?

The reason why Aku never killed Jack when he had the perfect opportunity is the same reason why the Joker never kills Batman. It's not enough to just kill your rival, they want to completely destroy them before they kill them. In Aku's case he wants to assert complete dominance over Jack before he killed him.

Well, until Jack wizened up and Aku realized he can't just do that shit. Then Aku actually got scared and went to hide, willing to wait out Jack dying naturally.

I usually don't enjoy action shows, you are correct in that one. Unless it's anime and usually just because it's so over the top that it's obvious you shouldn't take it seriously.

If something tries to be serious but doesn't really keep itself believable or consistent then it loses points, that's how action storytelling works.

What about those?