I feel like GL stuff focuses a bit too much on Emotional Spectrum nonsense...

I feel like GL stuff focuses a bit too much on Emotional Spectrum nonsense. I kind of liked it better whenever you had a Lantern fight goons like the Weaponers of Qward, Doctor Polaris, the Manhunters, Hector Hammond, the Black Hand sometimes-
Rather than basically 'a Green Lantern, but not green'.
Am I alone on this, Sup Forums?
Am I just being a fuckin faggot?

I don't disagree, but I guess I also don't really mind? I'm mostly just itching for other cosmic DC stuff to get launched at this point. I know LoSH will be part of that, but we still have like no information there. Hawkman mini isn't enough.

Your nostalgic faggotry isn't any worse than Johns' nostalgic faggotry. Unfortunately for you the cycle is on Johns' nostalgic faggotry at the moment.

I'm not the biggest GL fan, but yeah, the toyetic "spectrum of rings" bullshit is borderline anime faggotry.

>nostalgic faggotry
Now, I won't deny this
But what exactly is Johns's nostalgic faggotry, when it comes to Green Lantern?

Green Lanterns with Simon and Jess is kinda like that, being stuck on earth and all

GOTTA HAVE MY LEGION OF SUPERHEROES, BABY

What? They've pretty much pushed aside most of the other corps. Green Lanterns had been dealing with spectrum stuff the most but that's about it. Now that the GLs and Sinestro Corps have joined forces, they might as well all be green.

I miss Hal being a superhero on earth and a space cop in space. Now it's like saving the universe all the time

>emotional spectrum
>will
>an emotion
>not an action

there is no image smug enough to express my feelings on this most extreme of hackery

It's been green and yellow with one random blue faggot for a long time now. All the corps were destroyed, disbanded or otherwise disappeared.

>tfw death and life are apparently also emotions
Baaaaaadaaaaassssss

Green was at the Centre of the spectrum and thus not really an emotion, or just a really docile one. That's what made guardians choose green as their color since they thought that emotion is a deterrent.

Johns is a retard

This

I miss when Hal had a supporting cast

I could give less of a fuck about all those human lanternsexcept Guy and would rather have way more stories about the Corps and its members.
Less doomsday events that non stop threaten existance and instead space cops doing space cop things in space. This also means forget earth, because every single other DC hero is already there.
What I like about the GLverse right now is that it seems like we could get at least for a while a nice little s quo change by yellow green and blue working together outside of armagedon.
If all that were the case I wouldn't even mind all the other rainbow doing stuff here and there as long as it's in moderation.
Also Hal is the absolute worst human GL apart from Jess and Simon, who don't even really qualify as Green Lanters

As a kid, I liked Green Lantern because I thought it was like "Top Gun In Space"/"Sci-Fi with an Adrenaline Rush". But it's more like Hal being a fighter pilot is almost an after thought these days

By that logic, the Star Sapphires should be fueled by "lust" and not "love"

I agree except on the nonsense part. The emotional spectrum.is a good.idea but its overused. So its the green lantern corps as conflict. Whenever they dont fight other lanterns they fight the original lantern or a new army that substitutes them or themselves. Its very predictable.

Yeah, GL went from Space Precinct 2040 to Battle Shonen and it's getting really tiring really fast

bumb out of interest

I've been hating the emotional spectrum bullshit since Blackest Night. It's always been poorly thought out and thematically empty to me, and BN was really where it should have been wrapped up. Anything beyond that was utterly pointless.

Emotion stuff is good in moderation. Since Johns though, they've been milking that shit on full cylinders and will continue to because that's what brought GL to top dog for a while.

Well, that sucks.
What are the Weaponers of Qward even up to nowadays, anyway?

Last time they or even Qward itself were even mentioned was during the beginning of the Nu52 with New Guardians. One of the weaponers was going to make a new ring for Arkilo or something and after that they've been MIA.

It's not like anything would have consistency anymore.
Akrillo and Saint Walker run had no mention anymore and their universe before our universe shenanigans never got finished

pretending people care about Hal

only like half the colors even do anything
I don't get it

Except that's literally just nonsense.

Yeah, they should.

blue+green beats pretty much everything

>nostalgic faggotry
>for like 8 years ago
ok

I agree, I dropped GL during brightest day because I could see that the direction things were going wasn't for me. Then DCnu happened and I was validated.

The entire spectrum is pretty poorly and arbitrarily conceived. Only rage and fear, I think, are legitimate emotions. Of the others, why greed? Why hope? Why not joy? Or sadness? Or disgust? Or anxiety? Or serenity?

There's no rhyme or reason to them, and they don't even conform to their own established rules. They basically exist just because Johns probably loved Captain Planet too fucking much.

I don't get all this complaining about how the emotional spectrum works. It's not like Green Lantern was highbrow literature before Johns, FFS.

it was fun before now its boring

My main problem is just how long the Rainbow Brigade has stayed around. Just do something new or go back to the classics. It's been fucking 10 years of non-stop EMOTION EMERGENCY in the universe.

Dr. Polaris is showing up in GLs soon, I guess they haven't forgotten he exists

the current book has been pretty low on spectrum stuff outside the Sinestro corps hanging around but apparently that's going to change

>Dr. Polaris is showing up in GLs soon, I guess they haven't forgotten he exists

I just hope he doesn't job. He went out like a chump to Cyborg in SSvJL

>I just hope he doesn't job. He went out like a chump to Cyborg in SSvJL
did anybody not go out like a chump in that book? that Harley vs Johnny Sorrow gag still pisses me off

He already showed up in the latest issue.

My bad, I don't read GLs but I remembered seeing him in a solicit

We never had an all-out emotional war, right?
The Greens fought the Yellows, Oranges, and Reds, of course, and there were minor skirmishes among the others, but there never was a giant battle between all seven.
I reckon that's the only thing left to do (and maybe they'll retire some of them, too).

And fear shouldn't even count, since to be in the Sinestro Corps, you need to be able to INDUCE fear, not FEEL it.

Really? What'd he do?

Director Harcourt (who took control of the Suicide Squad from Waller) tries to take him in and he escapes after killing her men. She then enlists the help of Simon and Jessica. I'll dump the pages of their confrontation.

Sorry, I guess just mundane human 'lolsorandom, mistah j' insanity trumps eldritch power, user.

Augh. That's so cool.

Two more parts to this arc. Next issue's next week.

I don't think I'd mind GL focusing on that so much if we had something to fill the "space cops" void, like LEGION, REBELS or a Martian Manhunter book. The Corps can have their inter-spectrum battle, the New Gods can be doing their thing, and then the mortal dealings of basic criminals and societies would be handled by a regular "street level" team.

>We never had an all-out emotional war, right?
Good point, they haven't really done that yet

That picture looks like it's Green/Sapphire/Indigo/Walker + some Yellows vs Reds/Larfleeze/other Yellows

>I reckon that's the only thing left to do (and maybe they'll retire some of them, too).
Retire some of the corps? They already killed off all the Blues except Walker and the Sapphires and Indigos might as well not exist

Doc Polaris BTFOs

The main problem is that Green Lantern's rogues gallery before the Emotional Spectrum stuff was always kinda generic.

>Weaponers of Qward
If not for their connections to more popular villains like Sinestro and the Anti-Monitor, I doubt anyone would even remember these guys. Outside of that context, they've always been pretty typical alien invaders without much that stands out about them. Tony Bedard tried to make them relevant again by revamping them as evil DaVinci-style inventors, but the idea didn't seem to gain much traction.

>Doctor Polaris
He's back. So wish granted I guess.

>the Manhunters
Evil robots is such a cliche that Isaac Asimov was ridiculing the idea all the way back in the 1940's. It seems like all the best ideas for Manhunter stories have already been told. We've had them trying to exterminate organic life as an extreme form of "eliminating evil", and we've had them feeling slighted about being replaced by the Green Lantern Corps. Where do you go with them after that?

>Hector Hammond
Not even Johns was able to push this guy with much success. Telepaths are a dime a dozen in comics, so there's nothing really interesting about his powers. The gimmick of having him live vicariously through Hal's memories was at least some kind of characterization, but nobody except Johns seems interested in writing him that way. To be honest, I think the only reason anybody remembers him at all is because of the funny visual of a guy with a giant swollen head.

>the Black Hand sometimes-
This dude was always a mess. First, his name is Black Hand because he considers himself to be the black sheep of his family, but why not call him Black Sheep then? His gimmick was committing crimes based around proverbs or folk sayings, which has nothing to the color black or hands of any sort. And his superpower was that he had a small handheld tube that could suck up Green Lantern's constructs and shoot the energy back at him as a laser beam, which meant Green Lantern could defeat him by doing literally nothing. The drastic revamp of him as some kind of zombie overlord was pretty much necessary, because there's not way the original depiction of this character would ever work now. It didn't even really work back then!

>First, his name is Black Hand because he considers himself to be the black sheep of his family, but why not call him Black Sheep then?
his name is William Hand not William Sheep. that's just silly

Will isn't an emotion but it's what you need to control your other emotions.

There's no way to justify avarice.

>Jess and Simon are worse than Kyle
King should have killed Kyle off in Omega Men so at least that way he'd go out on a high note and nobody could take away his god powers. Omega Lantern is the best look he's ever had fite me

What, you mean like the Darkstars?

>The drastic revamp of him as some kind of zombie overlord was pretty much necessary, because there's not way the original depiction of this character would ever work now

Johns could've just made a new character rather than turning someone who based his crime on jokes into a death obsessed fanatic. I guarantee the only reason he even made the change was because he already had "Black" in his name. Besides, old Black Hand would work perfectly for what Simon and Jess need and that's a bad guy who is Earth based and isn't strictly lethal like Atrocitus.

Also, when the fuck is Evil Star coming back? Or Goldface now that Wally's history has been mainly removed so he isn't a 'hero' anymore.

>Also, when the fuck is Evil Star coming back?
soon apparently

this. Johns is edgier than Millar.
that's actually pretty sweet

Who're those weird crystalline shard-monsters?

I think those things and the Kirby-looking giants beneath them are new

It's more palatable if you call it the specturm of passion more than the emotional specturm

like willis just raw passion, but star sapphires are passionate about other people, lustful, even. Red makes you passionate for retribution, think crimes of passion. Et cetera

Fear doesn't work under that labeling though

Tattooed Man desu

also Ranx I guess? Is he still yellow? I kind of took a hiatus after like 2011

And there's Bolfunga, he's still around, right?

Fear is the odd one out either way. The rings don't manifest the user's fear, they weaponize your enemies' fears. Every other emotional ring is powered by the user's the emotion and it has been so fucking long since Johns' run that I can't even remember what Sinestro's deal was before that anyway. Was it always a fear ring? I honestly donot remember.

before Johns GL the yellow ring was just a yellow ring, no fear required

>Am I alone on this, Sup Forums?
No, it does get as tiring as a speedster only fighting other speedsters.

But we're here to talk about lanterns.

Yeah, it was just a ring that the green was weak against.

It even drained greens to power itself. A direct counter to GLs.

Why is Guy Gardner so scummy?

That's why we love him, user.

>Am I just being a fuckin faggot?

Pretty much. The Emotional Spectrum is the only creative thing to happen to the GL franchise in like twenty years.

Because he got brain damage in the 80's and didn't mellow out until he found out he was half alien.

Guess you're just a friggin homo, user

Half alien? What's the other half, pure feces?

Yes

>Hal is worse than Kyle
>Hal is worse than "literally a void of a character" John
Highest tier shit taste

The Shark was pretty cool, especially the way Johns handled him. Goldface and Myrwhydden could be dope with the right treatment. Venditti's take on Sonar was actually good, could use some more attention.

They should do a "Star Wars" between classic Evil Star and the kind of strange new one.

fucking a I'm angry he doesn't get to keep that costume longer

they have enough characters for several books.

Each should be a different tone

>Tattooed Man
Probably the best human Green Lantern villain. He does still show up every once in a while, just not in Green Lantern.

>also Ranx I guess?
"Evil buildings" does not seem like an idea that has legs. It is weird that he's never fought Danny the Street though.

>And there's Bolfunga
I will never understand what made Dave Gibbons think he could push this guy. His first appearance established him as both a moron and a coward. Not really the makings a of great villain. And what exactly are his powers anyway? Using medieval weapons? Against Green Lantern, of all people? I guess it works for Hawkman, but still.

>The Shark
Ignoring the fact that this guy always felt like an Aquaman who walked onto the the wrong set, he's just another telepath, with the added wrinkle of also being a fish. Plus, I doubt DC is eager to push him when they already have another humanoid shark villain who they seem to like more.

>Goldface
He was just some guy who painted himself yellow, user. Bringing him back now would be like making Superman immune to kryptonite but still having the Kryptonite Man, Metallo, and Titano the Superape be part of his rogues gallery.

>Myrwhydden
I'm surprised to learn that there's actually someone who likes this character. A space wizard who talks like Gruntilda from Banjo-Kazooie. "Spellcasting" is a pretty bullshit power set, since it's basically whatever contrivance the writer wants to make the plot work. And to top it all off, he just plain looks stupid.

>"Evil buildings" does not seem like an idea that has legs. It is weird that he's never fought Danny the Street though.
Man you can't just sit there and tell us with a straight face that an evil spacefaring sentient city is an idea without merit or potential.

Ranx is probably the only antagonist from the Sinestro Corps War I'd want to see back.

Well, him and Despotellis.

I'm still kind of surprised that they didn't take Edge of Oblivion and the whole "Sinestro Corps will save the universe" business as an opportunity to at least hint at something else. It would have been easy to do something with any of the people/factions who don't like the yellows or want that power for themselves, but they didn't.

Maybe all he needs is some better characterization. Perhaps a sympathetic backstory.

They could portray him as having idealistic dreams back when he was just a little village, but then he became disillusioned during his awkward town years, starting him on the path of villainy.

Didn't they save the universe in Bunn's Sinestro fighting against those emotionless fags?

I kinda agree with you but at the same time I don't. Green Lanterns are powerhouses so fighting the old GL rouges like Goldface and Polaris is like Superman fighting muggers, I mean they did it all the time in the silver age but I dont think it can stand in modern storytelling of the character.

Yeah I like GLs its like a throw back to the simple GL stories but at the same time it has its own space feel in the story.

He is a fan favorite, I don't understand these noone cares about Hal meme.

I like that. An angry city, out for revenge against the space Mongols who pillaged him, and anyone who stands in his way!

>He is a fan favorite, I don't understand these noone cares about Hal meme.

It's because we don't get why anyone would care about him. He's like Tony Stark, except if his charm and smarts were replaced with vanilla.

I had an idea about him.
You could remake him as a Lantern-only entertainment complex.
Like other specific superhero/supervillain bars, where only a specific type of hero can attend, and violence is strictly forbidden.
It could lead to some fun moments.

>I feel like GL stuff focuses a bit too much on Emotional Spectrum nonsense.
I think I know what you're getting at. It's annoying when a series is supposedly about a group of badasses who do badass things, but drifts into focusing almost entirely on dramatic events within that group, about its internal politics and history and stuff, when the entire point of the group is ostensibly to interact with the outside world in a way that creates adventurous stories. It's like the group is in its own little world, detached from the larger world that supposedly defines it.

It's like in Naruto, where they're supposed to be training to be mercenaries and hired killers who work for other nations, but the main characters go on all of one actual mission before everything is about ninja training, ninja politics, ninja secrets, secret ninjas, and other ninja village things.

The Green Lantern books can easily fall into this trap. The Green Lantern Corps are supposed to be space cops created by the Guardians of the Universe to keep the peace in the galaxy and thwart superpowered criminals that regular lawmen can't stop, but a noticeable portion of their rogues gallery includes things like ex-Green Lanterns, evil Lantern knockoffs, other characters created or empowered by the Guardians who turned against them, former Guardians who split off from the main group, creatures and groups empowered by former Guardians who split off from the main group, and other variations of "the Guardians did something stupid and now it's coming back to haunt them". Sometimes it seems that the books are less about protecting the universe from the scum of the universe and more about a single group of aliens dealing with their own mistakes. It's all too self-contained.

This sort of thing can be very exciting once in a while, but only if it's uncommon enough to contrast the status quo, rather than replacing it.

The thing about Goldface was that he was a gangster that was untouchable no matter what Hal did. Hal couldn't beat him ordinarily through his ring or through the police because he was doing the front-end of his stuff legally. Hell, he even got Hal arrested for destroying his home and Hal had to go to jail.

Here, have a list of the bigger GL rogues I've typed out once (because I'm autistic like that). I think one of the best developments of the Johns years is that GL finally has a cool rogues gallery (ofc some enemies were 'appropriated' from other heroes, particularly Superman).

Earth-based: Hector Hammond, the Shark, Tattooed Man, Evil Star, Sonar, Doctor Polaris, Scarecrow

Space threat: Manhunters, Mongul, Cyborg-Superman, Faceless Hunters, the Dominators, Kroloteans, Qwardians and the Weaponer, Durlans, Nol-Anj & the Braidmen, the Gray Agens, Bolphunga, the Spider Guild, the Psions, the New Gods, Starro, Brainiac, Invictus

Emotional spectrum related: Star Sapphires (Fatality) and Zamarons, the Indigo Tribe, Sinestro Corps (Sinestro, Arkillo, Despotellis, Bedovian, Lyssa Drak, Karu-Sil, Kryb, Romat-Ru, Low, Tekik, Slushh, Maash, Ranx), Red Lanterns (Atrocitus, Bleez, Skallox, Zilius Zox, Dex-Starr), Orange Lanterns (Larfleeze), Alpha Lanterns, Black Hand, Nekron, Krona, Parallax and other emotional entities, the Third Army, the First Lantern, Relic, the Phantom Lantern, the Keepers, the Pale Vicars

You know who needs to be brought back? Fucking Effigy. What a great character just totally wasted and thrown under the bus.

I forgot about him
He had a cool death, however

>Sonar
I hated venditti's GL run, but his Sonar and Modora concept was great to me

Which is why I think Venditti should avoid the BIG SPACE DISASTER shit and just stick to basics. He reinvented Sonar as a credible threat while still keeping his "MODORA PRIDE, WORLDWIDE" thing intact.