‘Batgirl’ Movie: Joss Whedon to Direct Standalone Film (EXCLUSIVE)

variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/
>Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

>Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

>No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.

>Batgirl is one of the most popular superheroines in the world, but has never gotten her own movie. The project will also feature other characters from the world of Gotham.

Now things are getting interesting.
Also of note; it would appear that this project differs from the Ayers/Robbie "Gotham City Sirens" project that was announced some time ago.

Gotta recoup that money he blew on Hilldog's campaign somehow.

Whedon > > > Russos

IT WAS JUST SEX

Good choice. We wouldn't want the DCEU to accidentally have a good movie.

>all these bat movies announcements
Does this means I'm getting my Red Hood movie sooner or later?

>inb4 Sarah Michelle Gellar Batgirl

>Red Hood movie
Oh God pls no

Yes please.

Whedon is a good choice for this character

It's looks like they are turning the DCEU into BEU. So probably yeah, you will get it.

The rest of the article, which is mostly stats and fluff:

>Batgirl first appeared in DC Comics in 1967 as Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon in “The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!” by writer Gardner Fox and artist Carmine Infantino.

>The Batgirl project will be the second movie from DC Films to star a female lead after Gal Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” which opens June 2. Extensive footage was shown Wednesday at CinemaCon.

>Whedon would be making a big move from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to its DC counterpart, having written and directed “The Avengers” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” for Disney-Marvel. He also created the television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “Firefly,” “Dollhouse,” and “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

>Warner Bros.’ DC Extended Universe launched with 2013’s “Man of Steel,” followed by last year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad.” Its upcoming films, which have already been dated, include “Wonder Woman,”; “Justice League,” debuting Nov. 17; and “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa and hitting theaters in December of 2018.

>The studio is also developing a “Suicide Squad” sequel and “Gotham City Sirens,” a spinoff to “Suicide Squad” with Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character; “The Batman,” starring Ben Affleck with Matt Reeves directing; a “Shazam” film and a Black Adam spinoff starring Dwayne Johnson; and projects based on the Flash and Cyborg characters.

>Whedon is repped by CAA.

I didn't see this coming at all, even with all the interest he expressed in making a WW movie.

I'm not a big fan of Whedon but I do think he suits a character like Barbara.

Didn't he leave Marvel because of a lack of creative control? If so, this means good things about the creative side of DCEU.

I'm more interested in the setting; assuming it's Barbara (pretty safe bet), is it set in the past when she was Batgirl or is she Batgirl now instead of Oracle?

I will forgive WB for everything if they did it.

>Batman and Batman related characters bring in all the money while DC desperately tries to get people to care about anyone else

Its just like the comics

>Didn't he leave Marvel because of a lack of creative control? If so, this means good things about the creative side of DCEU.
You do remember their last two movies were completely butchered by the execs right?

Oracle is better, and yes Im still mad about the retcon

>Whedon is okay if he works for DC

Christ, you people have a bias.

QUIPS

QUIPS EVERYWHERE

>Whedon
Into the trash it goes. Hopefully this ends up like his Wonder Woman.

Literally not watching if it's Babs

Can someone click on that clickbait?

Sorry, are you talking about Marvel or DC (I'm not that up to date with the behind-the-scenes stuff at Marvel)?

If you're talking about DC, while that's true, this could mean that, starting with WW as expected, they have let loose, so to speak, and given more/most control to the directors, writers, etc.

Wasn't it reported that Matt Reeves has complete control of The Batman?

Everyone should still be mad. She doesn't need to be crippled, but throwing her back into the Batgirl role is a fucking mistake.

>comics all about Batman
>vidya all about Batman
>chance for movie franchise representing all of DC
>fails
>"lets make it all about Batman"

This is all Hack Snyders fault

>is okay if he works for DC
Well, it's what happens to many writers.

My body is ready.

So it's safe to say that Bruce Timm will have a hand into this movie just for the sake of his ship, right?

Welp, here a new batch of company war threads, where mouselovers will have meltdowns and DC fans will be amused.

BRING IT ON

>Whedon
FUCK
I wanted Nicolas Winding Refn to direct Batgirl.

whedon mad because he couldn't make wondy
can't write catwoman or harley quinn
so the next best thing is batgirl
so transparent

>implying it's not gonna be Summer Glau Batgirl.

I found it to be idiotic. Here they wanted another "strong female character" to market when they failed to realize they had one already. Which I know the Oracle persona was basically salvaging from a shock moment in Killing Joke, but really it was a good progression for the character. It was a dark moment for the family, but it was cool to see Babs still fighting crime despite her disability. She was an example that you didnt need to put on a costume to kick ass. But I digress

>Barbara gets shot 15 minutes into the film
>Film is present day with Barb training a new Batgirl

Its funny but its the truth
you might as well call this the batman cinematic universe now
Oh well with nightwing and Batgirl and a BOP movie coming
no need to turn batman into adam west go full rorsach

So, this pretty much confirm that Jason, Dick and Barbara exist in the DCEU.

I would prefered he had directed Wonder Woman, but this is the next best thing.

I doubt anyone is gonna let Timm shove his cancerous pairing onto this thing.

Better be by John Wick's director.

I thought his reputation with the tumblrinas was ruined when they misinterpreted Black Widow calling herself a "monster" as her referring to being infertile.

DCEU needs to embrace the bat family and go full Brave and the Bold.

I hope we don't get any more batfamily characters than these three.

Yeah but then he went broke funding a super PAC for Clinton so he's their hero again

>Implying anyones gonna stop Bruce Timm

Watch it happen, I can guaranteed that one of the plot points of the movie will be Barabara regret of sleeping with Bruce, and Timm will be there at the premiere enjoying every second of it

>Batman reminding everyone DC stands for Detective Comics
I better get my fucking Flash, Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) and Cyborg movies for this shit.

Nightwing and fucking Deadshot are the only Batfamily movies I'm interested in. Yes, because it's Will Smith cosplaying Deadshot and not Deadshot.

Tim or Damian will come along when they decide to do Titans.

I like to pretend Will smoth is actually playing Black Spider instead of Deadshot.

Batman
Nightwing
Suicide Squad
Batgirl

Hopefully Catwoman and Red Hood are next.

I would bust a nut if we get an outsiders movie.

Don't forget Sirens

Damian is too much for live-action movie.

Tim is a possibility, but I don't think he will in.

Name a good batgirl story

You cant

so he coudn't get his shitty black widow movie
so now he will make a shitty batgirl movie

probaly be filled with girl power moments, and all (white) men are incompetent

Black Lightning TV show probably kills that idea unless they do Dick's Outsiders.

I know my age is showing, but if Red Hood and X-23 could just disappear and be erased for comic-book history, I'd be so much happier.

I think it's just waifuism. They wanted their redheaded Batgirl back even though it ultimately hurts the character a lot. It's similar to the shit Marvel is pulling with Spider-Man.

RIP DChads meme

you had a good run

They hardly any good Nightwing story either.

They will probably makes up something.

Oh wow...cancer+cancer...i already can see the 99%RT

recast batman and you will see bruce fuck babs

But I can.
>Batgirl:Year one
>Batgirl of Burnside
>the one where she and Catwoman fought naked
>that other one where she and Killer moth also fought naked

But the DChads meme was about how all the DC comics writers and artists are swole?

With Dick you can literally just use his Batman stuff at least. Babs has nothing outside of BoP.

Puckett's and Miller's runs.

I thought it came from Snyder and the other DC actors being buff

I can't keep up with these memes man

Zack Snyder was always included in those.

I don't about X-23, but Red Hood is too popular to just be erased.

Batgirl getting a movie too will make people more hopeful and demanding for him to get a movie.

I think Sup Forums might injure themselves with the level of gymnastics they're gonna be doing

Will there be Renee Montoya?

After Valkyrie and Domino, I just give up hope.

They're so gonna cast a black as Batgirl.

I'm glad, it's such a huge blow to companywars shitters. Sup Forums is LIVID.

I only see it in regards to the actual comics staff these days, idk

Just quip my shit up senpai.

Why?

I get that he has a fanbase but his filmography as a director is shit. The visuals in the Avengers films were horrendous. If you want him to work on the script or dialogue because you want Whedon quips that's fine but the man just has no cinematic eye.

It was about Didio and Johns shredding their new writers into shape and discipline. Bennet and Humphries are examples.

She was already black in Lego Batman.

This is what they deserve.

I'm certainly not watching this.
Not because I don't think it'll be good but because fuck Batgirl is boring on her own, no scratch that Babs is boring on her own, if this was about Cass I'd definitely be on board.

quirky girl power + he directed Avengers (you know they keep telling themselves that)

>Batgirl getting a movie too will make people more hopeful and demanding for him to get a movie
Lmao twitter is already screaming about wanting a Red Hood movie.

Shame it probably won't be either as Batgirl.

>Batman haters BTFO yet again

Based

They have to be contrarian no matter what. So if a lot of people like the idea of Joss directing Batgirl, Sup Forums will hate it and finally say the DCEU is ruined.

That said, I don't think him directing Batgirl is a good idea. It'll just become Buffy like the CamStew Batgirl did, and nobody liked that shit.

Unlike these hypocrites, I always loved Whedon, and while I enjoyed AOU, I don't attribute its flaws to Whedon, he was clearly shackled creatively.

>>Erase X23
Shit taste confirmed.

Nah, Johns and Snyder will get him into shape.

I hope so. I wanna see Redhead fags lose it

All those Marvel vs DC Sup Forums memes are funny as fuck now

more like Sup Forums btfo

now they will have to start worshiping whedon

I don't like Joss Whedon and I don't like Barbara Gordon, so I don't think it's getting interesting at all. Still it's funny that DC and Warner are so desperate to be like the MCU they are now hiring their old directors to do movies for them.

The fate of the entire DCEU rests on the shoulders of Wonder Woman.

If it succeeds, we'll get more movies featuring varied characters.

If it fails, it will be the last excuse they need to go full Batman Cinematic Universe.

Can we use Killer Moth as the villain? Remember its canon she wanted to fuck him

>This is all Hack Snyders fault

>black widowanmd that tiny ass handgun

How many posts do you think you make about Trump or Hillary on Sup Forums every day?

I have zero hope in this not being annoying.

There are a tons of potential reasons why a batgirl movie would such and only a few why it'd be good.

because this is in Whedon's wheel house
big tentpole movies are not

>Joss Whedon fired from 'Batgirl' movie; lack of gains cited as primary reason.

What retcon? I don't read comics.

The only way to make this more glorious is if Mel turns down Suicide Squad.