What's the appeal of the punisher?

What's the appeal of the punisher?
Also what's you're opinion on Garth Ennis?

I have no idea.
Repetitive, contrived and mediocre.

Punisher Max is one of the best singular runs ever printed.

The appeal of the Punisher is that many people wants to see criminals dead, unlike other popular heroes who have a "don't kill" rule.
That's it. Basically the same appeal of every single vigilante action hero from movies.

>What's the appeal of the punisher?
Criminals getting what they deserve with no delays and no chance to weasel out of it.
>Also what's you're opinion on Garth Ennis?
Overrated, relies too much on embellished situations, but I like his readiness to include violence in his stories.

that's what I keep getting too, I keep trying to read Punisher and it comes off as really tryhard unless he's in a team up book and I got recommended Garth Ennis' run, which read pretty much the same but higher quality repetition. I started reading more Ennis, "the pro" was so tryhard it made me cringe but I actually liked "the boys". A lot of his stuff seems really samey and it feels like hes trying to work self issues out in comics and then gets bored with it somewhere and it all falls to shit.

but wouldn't it get boring and contrived if he just kills and has no arc, it's like every time he learns something in a comic, the next issue he's just back to being so black and white

>what's you're

made a mistake my man

The brits in general all seem about as tired and done as Mark Wiad or Bendis, just with more cussing, grott and gore.

Power fantasy for closet edgelords.

>Also what's you're opinion on Garth Ennis?
I do not care for him.

honestly it feels good to see evil punished the arc where he kills the human traffickers is a good example of this

We're all here for self-indulgent fantasy. The Punisher is just the fantasy of bad things happening to bad people.

Ennis is hit and miss for me. He's a total edgelord, but it works sometimes. I feel like he went off the fucking deep end with Crossed though.

I like seeing his refusal to compromise, for better of for worse.

Ennis is one of my favorite writers along with Warren Ellis.

I think Garth Ellis is a pretty cool guy. Eh hates wakners and doesn't afraid of anything.

doesn't afraid of anything indeed

Garth run is like almost all of his other works and it reflects on the appeal of the punisher.

The self insert "smart guy, who is the only one who knows how shit goes". The lonely dog fantasy, a small group of guys dressed weird that don't care for how the world sees them because they are "Mentally above everyone".

"They don't know our struggle!"
"Fucks that old lady taking care of her flowers, she don't know shit"
"No one knows!"

A world where everyone else is just part of the scenario, and if they get in the way of our heroes they are going to get fucked, the punching bag of the protagonists that go kicking ass and making monologues about "why people having fun on holidays is crap", i don't like this. I enjoy the Boys and even Crossed when Garth is not writing, but i still hate this trope.

This is why i like Hellblazer (even Garth has some decent runs), because besides John being a smartass and even a gary-stu sometimes, the characters that he meets in his adventures are still people with their own lifes and shit to solve, they are violent soccer fans, beer brand fanboys, dysfunctional families, liberals, conservatives, they are all different characters that our "hero" interact, not just vehicles to prove a points.

A lot of british writers seem to have this same style, especially when neo-nazis that have no relevance to the plot appear from fuckin nowhere so the protagonist can give them "That old british ass-whopping!"

Right wing fantasy for white males.
I still like it.

For me it's a combination of 80's style cheese ("look at this Snake Plisskin motherfucker taking out an army of dudes with nothing but rage and american lead") and the interesting moral implication of "he's in the wrong, but he gets objectively good results".

If I have to read someone who likes to indulge in edgy shit, I'd read Ennis before almost anyone else.

>White males.
You ever seen Nancy Grace user? It is a middle class power fantasy, skin color and junk-type are false correlatives. Icky poor folks are the problem.

When it's well-written, the appeal is everyone and everything that isn't Frank. Frank as a character is not really interesting, and when he's done right he probably shouldn't be. He comes across more as a force of nature that everyone else interacts with and deals with. He's a catalyst for other characters to think about themselves, to make decisions, to react to the events unfolding. When Frank is effectively a background character in his own story and the side-characters are more developed and go through development and arcs, that's when you have a really good Punisher story. Frank never changes, evolves, or progresses. Everyone around him that are affected by his actions do. And that's why I loved Ennis' MAX, because that's exactly what the whole run was.

T.Sup Forumsumblr

Noir-esque monologues, /k/wankery and ultra violence.

I love Punisher. Hes the character I self identify with the most, inb4 "edgy" because I am military and I love the way he matter of factly approaches situations. He is goal oriented and he plans things out. He has a large over arching goal which he breaks down into the simplest steps in order to achieve them. I like to put myself in the hero's shoes and when I read Batman or Spider-man and they stop a particularly heinous crime, and dont make sure they can never do it again, I dont know that I could do that. Imagine you had stopped a rape or broken up a pedophile ring and you just beat them up and the charges don't stick, now you stop them a second time, now what? Imagine the feelings and thoughts running your head. When written well he is a deep character who follows his moral compass in immoral situations and is pushed to the brink of humanity, trying to find solace and trying to force the word to make sense. Written poorly its edgeloard faggotry of the highest caliber with a bit of gore sprinkled in.

>the page after this is a hard cut to the cop in the hospital visiting his wife

Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

Good ol sameface.

>tfw no more Frankface.

Garth is very hit and miss for me. I like his War Stories and Hitman, but can't stand The Boys and Crossed. Sometimes he writes with a sharp sense of story craft and sometimes he writes like an edgy teenager striking back at mom and dad.