When did you realize that Return of the Jedi was underrated and is perhaps the best Star Wars?

When did you realize that Return of the Jedi was underrated and is perhaps the best Star Wars?

Name a better duel in the series than this

youtube.com/watch?v=U1MnMA0TzGI
youtube.com/watch?v=PqaiKmm8gsY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY
youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU
youtube.com/watch?v=Wii3FK3m8cs
youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI
youtube.com/watch?v=eUB6Un9TR7o
youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Name a better duel in the series than this

Easy, Empire

youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY

Congrats OP, you have posted the one good scene from RotJ.

>implying

youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU

I love Return of the Jedi. I have watched it almost every Christmas break I have had for 29 year. I know majority of people prefer Empire strikes back, but the symbolism, music, choreography and dialogue mean so much to me.

I also love the ending sequence without shitty hayden christensen. Real life is so horrible and shitty and the end of Return of the Jedi they achieved a moment where the entire galaxy is happy free and at peace.

The movie was my favorite as a child and is somewhat of an anchor for me

I appreciate RotJ a lot more now. Though it helps knowing everything Anakin went through.

And now that happy ending is over

THEN PERHAPS SHE WILL

Jedi is great, to call it the weakest of the trilogy is not fair, it the "least amazing" that being said, I really like it but prefer the other 2 of the trilogy. It's the 3rd best star wars though

Nah, this is the best scene by far.
youtube.com/watch?v=Wii3FK3m8cs

>Name a better duel in the series than this
Yoda vs Dooku

When I was 4, watching the movie for the first time. And again when I was about 20 and realized just how significant Luke choosing to throw his lightsaber aside was.

This is probably the dumbest duel in the entire series. It's visually interesting, but not as interesting as Maul vs Qui Gonn and Obi. There's a hint of the history behind these two, but it lacks the punch of Obi vs Anakin, or any of the OT duels. Especially the ROTJ finale. Its an interesting concept having your wise old good guy fight the bad guy, but that is done better when Yoda fights Sheev. it's ultimately unsatisfying in its conclusion because of plot armor: you know Yoda lives and they can't have Yoda just kill Dooku because they wanted Anakin to do it. Which makes Yoda kind of look like a bitch when he should dominate.

It's honestly my least favorite lightsaber duel

this
/thread

>it's the best Star Wars because of X shitstick duel

Why did Lucas of all people consider Lynch and Cronenberg to direct a Star Wars movie?

This

I liked it the most because it did so much meaningful stuff with Luke's character. Of course Empire did too, but I loved seeing him go through the entire situation with the Emperor and Vader on the Death Star. It was and still is pretty inspirational to see him get pissed and cut off Vader's hand then see himself becoming his father then throw his lightsaber away.

ROTJ is the best for me because it shows a fully actualized Luke completing the Hero's Journey. It is by far the most "woke" of the three movies with regard to inserting and developing Campbellian mythological theory, and possibly the most of any fantasy or science fiction movie ever made.

Even though the Ewoks are a bit annoying (on par with the Jawas in ANH), I've always loved the scenes in the village where Luke makes C3PO fly, and later, when C3PO tells their story around the campfire because they bring that intrinsic desire to be part of the great Story to life.

Luke is dramatically calmer and more assured in Jabba's palace than he is in the previous two movies. Rather than "retconning" his personality, the movies showed without telling that he has grown in the intervening time, which is probably months or even years if the construction on the second Death Star is to be taken as evidence. He force chokes the guards, manipulates the vizier, kills the execution beast, gives Jabba a second chance, kills all the party guests including the bounty hunter, and blows up the yacht, all without losing his equipoise. You can see how much he's taken on the mantle Obi-Wan left for him.

The dialogue is also the best of the three movies. Emperor Sheev is unquestionably evil, and we get a real sense of why Vader's fatherly love and humanity are buried under layers upon layers of cold, unfeeling brutality - his overwhelming loyalty to his master has become his very identity.

The scene in Sheev's throne room when Luke faces the Emperor is one of the best hero-villain confrontations in sci-fi-fantasy cinema. Not only is it well written and acted, but in that scene we again are shown without telling how deeply rooted the struggle between dark and light is in the history of the force, how almost genetic the instinct is for Jedi and their dark counterparts to come into conflict.

I know these are scattered thoughts, but I think they're part of what makes ROTJ the best.

My nigga

ahem
youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI

I agree with everything you said but the movie still has some severe problems with tone, structure, and pacing

the is unironically a great duel, it's too bad Sup Forums will pretend it was bad because "hurr durr muh powerlevels muh mary sue"

>Sup Forums: my blog
fuck off faggot

dude there are several great scenes in Jedi

one of my faves

youtube.com/watch?v=eUB6Un9TR7o

God bless

Qui Gon Jin & Obi-Wan vs Maul

TFA's duel isn't bad per se, but compared to other ones of the series (especially the one in ROTJ) is kinda lackluster. Still, that comes from how undeveloped the characters are in the newest film, or so I think.

Swap Ewoks for Wookies and ROTJ becomes kino

It'd be a lot shorter.

It's moreso that yeah, critics have some validity in what happens with Leia, also with Han, as well as the middle section of the film in general BUT the ending and entire confrontation and fight in the Emperor's throne room is 10/10 kino so it evens out the film in a way.

The scene dollying out from under the deck into the open with the subtle choir soundtrack is so fukkin good.

>My face when watching Jedi and it's the scene where Luke is burning Vader's body, and the memories of little Anakin and his adventures with Obi Wan come flooding in.

It's definitely the best duel in the series but it's still not as good a film as IV or V. Easy third place though.

duel of fates is still the best lightsaber battle in star wars

the rest might be shit

I actually like his final duel with Obi-Wan in Clone Wars more.

If it weren't for basically all of the Endor scenes, RotJ would be GOAT

Vader's sad voice in RotJ.

>It is too late for me... my son.

I like some of Endor, the actual battle and speeder chase are great, Luke's scenes with Leia and Vader are great. Making Threepio float is a funny scene but doesn't make up for Ewoks being dumb and focusing too much on them.

You pleb.
youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

The choreography in Jedi is so bad it totally pulls me out of the scene.

>le episode ranking threads
why do we need this?

Good post.

that is what everyone else unironically loves it for. It was a lot better in empire and obvious episode 1-3 but people don't like that kind of fast and deliberate action

>little Anakin and his adventures with Obi Wan come flooding in
Coruscant?

Wat. lmo return is far better than literally all prequel duels.

Grevious is dumb, maul is bad since its TDKR tiers of people deliberately missing or turning away from their target, Yoda is lame as fuck and stupid in concept, and even the final one between anakin and obiwan is overlong and has silly shit like the lightsaber dance off.

Sheev versus yoda had some fun stuff with the force but otherwise i think yoda backflipping and stuff looks ridiculous.

The scenes with Luke, Vader and the Emperor on the Death Star are by far the best scenes in all of the franchise.

When I was a kid and saw jabbas palace
Jedi rocks aside, how anyone could not think that sequence is the tightest shit is beyond me

if you dont think empire is best you are wrong
actually star wars could be argued for but the others dont come close. empire is so solid with narrative and visuals and introduces so much of what makes star wars. its a perfectly executed sequel to the first movie

>When did you realize that Return of the Jedi was underrated and is perhaps the best Star Wars?

You mean the movie with the Ewoks, the kid-friendly merchandise monsters that take up half the movie? Plus, that scene where they think C-3PO is a god, showing the writers stooped to using the "savages think MC is their bizarre god" cliche?

Gonna have to disagree.

I agree. But that doesnt change that Returns individual scenes are pretty great. Hell the only real mistake was ewok bullshit unless im mistaken.

The palace the throne room and the speeders. Theres some really cool shit in Jedi

That moment is one of the great depictions of a character with Christlike moral clarity. Only others I can think of are the wife in No Country when she refuses to flip the coin and Jack in Lost when he tells Smokey he's going to kill him with absolutely no malice.

Lucas was very weird and creative back then. Remember that he wanted Star Wars to be all midgets and have a much more complex mythology with the Whills and all that.
The Star Wars films are the product of other people reining in his creativity and making it more mainstream.

The good parts of Return of the Jedi, i.e. Jabba Party Mansion and Sheev Party Space Station, are fantastic, the best it's been. The problem is there's less then an hour of the good parts, the whole movie is already short and half of it is Ewoks yucking it up. So I would describe RotJ as the best Star Wars short.

Remove the Ewoks, replace with Wookies, get rid of that shitty Jedi Rock music at Jabba's...yeah, it'd be great.

never did

I'm impressed that awful music number made it in.

I agree. I am not even a Christfag, but there was no more perfect victory of good over evil than Luke redeeming his father by laying down his weapon. It's why I kind of hate the EU sometimes for the way it goes over the same ground over and over again.

Holy shit. Well said, user.