Hows it coming Sup Forums?

Hows it coming Sup Forums?

I'm about to start writing a """narrative comedy""" for a public broadcaster. I'm gonna pretend to be bisexual so they at least don't discard my work for being a straight white male.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Rebels-Backlot-Directors-Conquered-Hollywood/dp/0060540184
drive.google.com/open?id=1x3xJ0nkN0pOmCs0XDo68JdcOxIIovDrN
youtu.be/gKJGGhH17JY?t=976
drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRUl9hQTFUSmlYME0
drive.google.com/file/d/1q6vKACo3sqO98FqxbqsFNWYzPUsjMMHM/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Still working on a pilot I've been fucking with for the last few years, but it's coming together and I hope to finish by the new year, my resolution being to getting it some attention.

Honestly, I have to agree with your worry. The pilot has mostly male characters since it takes place at a military facility with the many female characters coming in around episode 3.

Best case and I get some attention, I can already hear people asking where the womyn are.

Unless theres a homosex subplot for no reason I do think you're up shits creek my man.

One of my characters is a faggot but it doesn't really get explores til Season 2

I don't know I think I'll just rip off some movies from the 70s like Tarantino

I wrote a script for a short horror movie a few months back, but I haven't been able to shoot it.

I started animating the pilot a few months ago and it's so very time consuming some days. About 15 minutes animated, 5 more to go. Hopefully.

I have literally spent nights on end thinking up a Rock Opera adaptation of the Kony 2012 movement.

Tarantino hung out in Hollywood like an annoying asshole constantly autistically pitching people at parties and shit until someone gave him a shot. I think at that point all he'd done was that short film about the wedding or whatever.

But his autistic enthusiasm for discussing films with people in the industry, coupled with banging a few connected women, got him in the door.

I read it in a book that I forget the name of, something about hollwood directors.

>I'm gonna pretend to be bisexual so they at least don't discard my work for being a straight white male.
I used to use my full name (Samuel) but now go by "Sam" when submitting screenplays to competitions and festivals because it gets them read more when they have a gender-neutral name and there's a possibility I'm a woman. Hilarious that this is something we have to do now.

Reddit's favorite director, alongside Nolan

>I read it in a book that I forget the name of, something about hollwood directors.
amazon.com/Rebels-Backlot-Directors-Conquered-Hollywood/dp/0060540184

Thats it. Theres lots of stories, but that's one that I remember.

That's clever. This submission says NO NAMES so there's no bias, but really, once the protag is male it's pretty fucking obvious it's written by a male 90% of the time.

im probably just gonna say fuck it and convert my story to a graphic novel, offer my illustrator 35% and try to sell it that way.

Thanks based user

Sounds nice. Keep up the good work.

I've wanted to do this but I don't really want to pay anyone and I don't know how to market graphic novels.

Yeah, that's the other thing I do - "diverse" protagonists. If I ever get my foot in the door I'll switch back to what I want to write but at the moment I usually pitch female leads or gays.
Pretty easy to Ctrl+F find and replace genders/names later.

Yeah I'll throw in a mention of bisexuality on the last page so the retard who 'marks' my script is left with that memory.

People absolutely suck at recognising what is good and what is shit, that's why most of TV is shit. So instead of trying to be meritorious, I make sure I tick the boxes of the SJW bullshit, because that is now what they look for.

>Best case and I get some attention, I can already hear people asking where the womyn are.
Mate, if you get to that point, that's a really fucking good position to be in.
"Where all the women at" is code for "Stick some women in and we'll make it."

Thinking about writing the outline for a Cloverfield video game. Set with the main character waking up in a hospital in upstate NY after the entire northeast US is overrun with hundreds of Cloverfield monsters. The creatures themselves are actually servitors of an eldritch lovecraftian diety, with a "cardinal" 3x bigger than the other monsters.

my plan is to find an illustrator willing to do it for free and pay him/her with potential proceeds. someone that isn't famous but has talent and hasnt been discovered. payment more being the opportunity than anything.

Honey Boo Boo could have written that shit. Cliche as fuck.

I'm writing a horror film set in rural Kentucky with some political issues looming in the background. I'm gay so I'm sure someone will pick it up.

At least I fecking hope so, so that my life can change from the day in day out monotony of retail

>I'm gonna pretend to be bisexual so they at least don't discard my work for being a straight white male.

Literally why someone would discard a "straight white male"'s work

but good luck with the comedy!!

>Literally why someone would discard a "straight white male"'s work

lol i dunno lemme think about that a minute

Although a comedy detailing the follies and pitfalls of modern PC overtly liberal Hollywood could be funny

pretty new to this stuff. doing my research before i get down to it. could i maybe get some feedback on my basic idea and let me know if its even worth delving into:

itd be post apocalyptic (for the memes) during a time when there things have calmed down, societies have sprang back up and there is a religious revival due to the discovery of the bible. people from the pre apocalyptic era still exist but are in their late 40s or older and were all small children when the "event" occurred so no one really has any knowledge of religion before the event, as far as we know.

anyway, it follows one of those children, now a man in his 50s who at some point finds a copy of the old testament. he starts amassing followers and attempting to form a crusade to take back the holy land. they eat people, ride horses, and kill non believers while preaching their faith and trekking across the world. the dominant religion is formed after the discovery of the quran which was found some time prior to the old testament. the subject matter is going to be very brutal, racist, and philosophical. itd come off as pretty cheesy i think but id like my eventual climax to be the discovery of the new testament, and how the followers of that are tortured and killed for preaching love and peace as a full circle "history repeats itself" kind of message. also itd be discovered that the cause of the event was due to current times religious differences.

just so it doesnt seem like im treading somewhere i shouldnt be, i was raised roman catholic and attended private catholic school my whole life, i became less interested in the religion and more interested in the history. i went on to study world religions in college so i have a pretty good idea of their belief systems and how they evolved as well as the history of each major religion. i just want to tell a story about how religion impacts us. i actually feel really self conscious having typed this out, despite being anonymous, but what the hell

To this thread, I gift one of the worst pieces of writing I’ve ever come across.

This is from a friend of mine. The whole script is like this.

reads like someone who buys bitcoin would write

I have no time to write and less time to think. I keep worrying about how I could feasibly produce it.

Maybe that’s my issue right now. Too worried about writing for budget.

Anyway, have some shitty script I did back in High School.
drive.google.com/open?id=1x3xJ0nkN0pOmCs0XDo68JdcOxIIovDrN

21 pages into weird experimental pilot about psychedelics n shiet. I dunno, I need to work on my pitch. Think if Kult was a TV show.

Does being a schizo autist count as diversity?

>Does being a schizo autist count as diversity?

yeah but only if theyre attractive and edgey like mr robot or fight club

advertisers who buy your show dont want ugly actual retards

Oh, I also had a screenplay about a hapa jailbait girl trying to seduce an older guy. I got 55 pages into that, but abandoned it because of all the sexual abuse stuff and an acid trip where I decided I didn't want to write that story after all. Might check back on it at some point, but I'm one of those people who hates reading his own works.

You are an idiot.

It’s a legitimate fear anymore.

everytime i get depressed at how many people try and submit scripts, i remember that 95% of them are absolutely terrible and i feel better

It turned into a smutty fanfic.

I have a problem.

>neon blades still kicking around
this is meme kino. whatever happened to that skype group anyway?

youtu.be/gKJGGhH17JY?t=976

This is a good story I'd never heard before. They get all the pilot crews together and have a yard sale where TV executives from all over the world come and buy your show. You sell the show to them directly.

Fucking weird but that's how she goes

Bump

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRUl9hQTFUSmlYME0

about what

It doesn't really matter about what. Just waifuism and obsession with my guilty pleasure show.

The problem is, anything I write either ends up devolving into an actual fanfic, or more often than not, shares the same themes with different character names, and deals with their past or future.

I really don't know how to differentiate between the two anymore and create something original.

im pretty sure almost all art is "stolen" to some degree. with that being said, the best piece of advice i can give (and this is coming from a total newbie) is "write what you know." and that is saying i stole from a friend of mine who im sure stole it from someone else. but anyway i think it rings true. instead of trying to write about something you liked on tv or in a book, write about who you are, where you grew up, what your parents, friends, siblings were like. shit like that.. does that make sense? elements are ultimately going to overlap with other works, youre only human and theres like 7 billion of us. its the personal shit that makes it unique because your own path in life is unique

>contributing to the destruction of western media
Fuck off you opportunistic leeches. Why don't you do something useful and make an actual good film/series with a strong male lead and no pandering? Make it so good that it can't be passed up.

I mean, I agree with you 100%, all of our experiences definitely coalesce into characters we create, and nothing is truly original.
My issue with the whole thing is that my characters are directly influenced by another show, a specific show, not by people and their IRL nuances, that I actually know or have met IRL.

>you can make something good enough that won't be passed up

lol. check out the goy

so recognize when you start to stray and get into the mind of the character and determine if this is really something they would do

Then don’t be original.

Write some shitty fanfic. No one’s gotta read it. Then take it, and learn from the process of writing it.

Have some strange experiences, road-trip out to Ohio. Take the time to have some different experiences. It’ll improve your writing immensely.

I'd rather ceremoniously break a lightbulb and rub my ballsack over the broken shards than ever go to Ohio (wasn't it a red state 2016?). But point taken.
Thanks anons

>In recent elections, the Buckeye State has proved itself to be a remarkably good predictor of the election winner. Since 1944, Ohioans have sided with the losing candidate only once – opting for Nixon over Kennedy in 1960.
But keep talking shit you pleb

I'm sorry, I must have lost the memo that red states ever have their screenplay accepted

I finished my horror script. Its my first run through with it and its only 50 pages.

The problem I have is that after about page 20, its just the protagonist trying to survive and run away from the monster. I feel like its not enough to keep the viewer interested.

written a pilot, found a director and we're currently storyboarding the thing and working on pre-production. Gotta find some good locations I can run for minimal monies.

no B plot?

i had a cool cyberpunk idea but since GitS and BR2049 bombed, i dont think studios want to touch cyberpunk for a long ass time. gonna start something else.

never know, Netflix picked up Altered Carbon.

make him find true love

Point is it is both a red state and a blue state. It is a predictor and has an unmatched bellwether status. WTF are you even talking about?

No, I did think of having a b plot with a cop, but I think keeping the protagonist in the dark would make for better horror.

how do you guys reconcile with the fact that movies are essentially dead? the 25 crowd sticks to netflix and the younger crowd doesn't even watch movies, just youtube.

that's why I'm writing for TV. All about getting a series picked up.

makes sense. You're gonna need yourself a real charismatic lead then.

i stopped trying and went and got a law degree. now im rich i do this when im bored.

i dont think there's an appetite for much of anything except capeshit and nostalgiashit

yeah this is basically what made me lose all interest in filmmaking in the traditional sense. i still think there's interesting stuff to be done on the internet but just the fact that it's online almost makes it not worth doing. i've always been big on cinematic shit and slow, liquid delivery of whatever the thing is but with internet stuff it's all fast paced memes. art is probably just dead in general. i couldn't imagine going to art school and dealing with the type of people that are coming through there.

this shit fucking blows. imagine growing up wanting to be a trucker and then just as you get old enough, the whole industry becomes automated. it's really devastating.

from time to time i watch the making of halo 2 documentary that came with every halo 2 collectors edition. the nostalgia is so real i can feel it. bringing me back to an innocent time when i wanted to work on video games despite knowing nothing about it

i dropped out of film school after 1 semester. imagine being the guys and girls who stuck it out and graduated... only to end up volunteering on student art projects for 10 years and filming weddings.

then you hear about the retarded kid who got a job with a big commercial station because of nepotism...

all true stories

Do you have any more?

shame these threads die so quickly

>the absolute state of screenwriting

as a cartoonist , I hate you.

>three years into the main story's ...

stopped reading. sheesh. he needs to study formatting more.

>as a cartoonist
I'll take a #3 with large fries, no soda.

>Too worried about writing for budget
that's the worst thing.
I did produce a short film eventually with in a no budget script , but its incredibly simple.

been thinking for a year about how to make something more complex but with in the same non budget.

>anymore
so its not a fear ?

I think you're using "anymore" wrong.

>movies are essentially dead
producers are shit. movies would get better if we had better producers and people creating new studios with more original work.

I realy wish this didnt have a ring of truth. Fuckers like want artists to do shit for free dragging down earnings.

I try and do shit under the table while I try to learn how the tax laws are for artists.

writing a one for a Fallout movie just for kicks

What choice does have, realistically? I don't think he could afford a cartoonist.

Is English your second language? Please be truthful.

no

At least use the proper formatting. Pirate Final Draft, or use Celtx or Plotbot or something.

realistically if either he or the artist doesn'tt have the proper contracts in place its really up in the air and the artist should just expect to work for free without ever getting paid. Way too many people "forget" to pay their clients.

I usually like to be paid upfront. though I haven't freelanced in a while. so I don't really know what the climate is anymore. Thinking about making webcomics. hopefully I'll have more freedom there.
then in my free time produce some short films if I can.

considering we'd both be starting from nothing, i dont think its unreasonable. depending on the person id be willing to go 50/50. but i can see where story user thinks he deserves more since its harder to come up with a narrative than to draw pictures about it.

drive.google.com/file/d/1q6vKACo3sqO98FqxbqsFNWYzPUsjMMHM/view?usp=sharing

Be gentle Sup Forums, still have work to do

>the artist should just expect to work for free without ever getting paid. Way too many people "forget" to pay their clients.
Is this common?

an artist just starting out that has any talent will want a guarantee of payment. you get what you pay for is very true for artists.

though you may get lucky if a good artist is doesn't know his value yet. but usually that is very rare as talent gets noticed very quickly.

just have your contracts set up for splitting up the gross profits, and I'm sure someone actually could throw you a bone. but again, money is a big motivator (they'll get lazy)and a person working for free might not be that great.

true. i was kinda hoping the person would be as passionate as me about the project and itd just be a group effort to make money. not as much a "hiring" thing.

yes. Ive seen people procrastinate on verbal deals all the time.

the more time passes the less the person wants to pay the artist. though if you have a good community (forums and shit) people will remember who did what to who. at least thats how it used to be.

>the person would be as passionate as me about the project

then work on your pitch. If you make it sound awesome they may want to work on it because it would be fun to draw. thats a real possibility.

but of course, you really have to have your shit together because enthusiasm will wane quickly if they feel you're wasting their time that could be spent getting better job offers.

cool thanks for the insight

np. good luck

>its another, new story that goes unfinished as i get another idea, marathon

>its another give up quickly because you dont like it episode

question, anons. when it comes to description of interiors and exteriors, how much is typically described? is it a preference of the writer? or is there a certain line you dont cross? cause id be totally happy just being very vague and leaving the vision up to someone else, but id also like to tackle it myself if given the opportunity. i know ultimately everything, including my hack script susceptible to change.

>it’s a digits episode

thread derailed

really not important at all and better left unsaid

your reader only has so much attention and its dedicated to the overall story not descriptions