Did post-modernism kill horror movies?

Did post-modernism kill horror movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/454172/shape-water-social-justice-preaching-americans-are-monsters
onpostmodernism.com/movies
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(((Post-modernism))) has killed everything

Post-modernism kills anything, user. It's the whole point of it.

clean your room

>Jordan Peele
>reverance and intelligence
???

fpbp

Approaching your characters with earnest love is most certainly not a postmodern technique.

And Shape of Water is trash, see: nationalreview.com/article/454172/shape-water-social-justice-preaching-americans-are-monsters

Actually, I'm not sure. The things that hurt horror were the ghettoizing of the genre in the VHS era and the marketing of the "Horror Director" pushing out all the real talent. Then, this was worsened significantly by modern horror being a wave of people trying to be too refined with the material, they're all so dedicated to meager artistic ability and being presentable that it lost any flare the VHS era gave it. Basically, horror went all in on the trash value then tried to act like grownups in worthless way.

thats the point, post modernism and lolirony are one and the same

>National Review

Just say Scream and Cabin in the Woods are shit, Guillermo. We all know it.

CG and HD cameras did.

What's scary anymore?

horror has always just been a way for studios to make tons of money on low budget movies

Del Taco is a cuck but I don't trust the NR to know their asshole from a plot point.

post modernism is french, retard

Del Toro panders to fanboys so fucking hard in the press and at festivals, and yet all his movies turn out so soulless and mediocre.

There's such a thing as french Jews, retard.

Del Taco is a fat spic fuck who has no room to whine about shitty monster movies considering he made the tumblr equivalent of a monster movie

Del Toro is the the reason The Hobbit sucked. So his opinion is worth shit.

What is this complete nonsense?

Del Toro literally has nothing to do with the Hobbit being terrible.

I agree with him but I think it's a largely North American issue. Creators afraid to commit to the worlds they create, so they keep telling the audience "don't worry, I totally see how cheesy this is, I'm doing it on purpose!"

It's pretty boring honestly

Triggered: The Review

Christ I wish this movie was a flop

I 100% agree, but I see it more in blockbusters/franchises with Disney Marvel being the biggest offender. I don't see it anywhere else really like horror but that might be because I'm an uncultured pleb.

>Why can't the man fall for the monster?
Confirmed for not going to /gif/.

Also what are mermaids, dryads, succubi, vampires, witches, etc. It's like she has no idea what she's talking about. Wait sorry, it's not like that it IS that.

What is it with Del Toro and inappropriate sexual relationships?

Sort of related mostly unrelated, but I saw Les Affamés and it's prety good zombie movie that makes them unsetltling again, would recomend if you want something different

>the reputable film criticism website, National Review

They scrapped all of his ideas. The Hobbit was a rushed job that has nothing to do with Del Toro.

Big words for someone who made a movie just to bitch about white people.

post moderism is a nazi catch phrase

He's a mexican. What do you expect? It's either raping or cutting heads off or fucking up your order at a restaurant.

(((french)))

I support more male human and female monster romance movies to be honest.

Because he gave up and left early leaving other people to come in and put the pieces together in a limited time frame.

never heard an explanation of why this fucker dropped the Hobbit on its ass, but I have heard he's had a habit of doing that with productions

What killed horror was "whimsical" faggots like Del Taco. Ive been tricked into a few of his "horror" films. The Devils Backbone was an hour and forty five minutes of trash that I will never recover from.

You poor autist

gABE zAPIEN backdoor sequel is gonna own tho

Wasnt Splice about a man and a monster girl?

Yeah broskie tell that to his upcoming 8 oscars and two IMDB top 250's inb4 somehow your opinion means more than this because these things don't matter.

>ayo, whitey wish they had our great music and soul food an our big dicks an shieet

fpbp

also this.

nothing 'killed' horror movies. horror movies are fine. stop paying attention to what mainstream media and blogs says about the genre whenever something comes out that they perceive to be 'intelligent' and 'subtle' enough for them to acknowledge.

Bunch of sappy soyboy David Foster Wallace motherfuckers up in here.

There's nothing wrong with post-modernism, especially in horror. Scream, when it came out, was a breath of post-modern fresh air in a largely stagnant horror status quo. There are only so many times you can see some ghost jump out and say boo, or some unstoppable murderer in a mask come out of a closet before you get bored of the whole schtick.

It's only a problem when post-modernism itself becomes the norm, and then everything just disappears up its own ass like a fucking ouroboros of meta-bullshit wankery. I think we hit that tipping point with Cabin in the Woods. It was on the good side of that precipice, but just barely.

Aren't your parents?

>There's nothing wrong with post-modernism

post-modernism by definition is wrong, it's literally throwing out the baby out with the bath water for no reason other than to destroy societal and cultural bonds.
Fuck right off.

Bruh, it's not like to find value in post-modernism you have to accept it's the correct way to view the world.

We're ostensibly talking about art here, right? Do you honestly find no artistic value in deconstruction?

no

Yes.

No genre attracts more insincere, ironic fans than horror

he didn't give up, he got forced out. He was never intended to make it. He was just hired and lied to so the studio could settle their lawsuits with Jackson.

>being a sincere fan of anything
what you do doesn't matter. so why would what you like matter?

I liked this article.

Del Toro did the same thing with Pacific Rim. Felt like the X-men of giant robot movies.

this
its like in the episode of louie when they offer louie david letterman's late night show and he goes with it, only for louie to discover they only offered it to gain leverage over letterman's contract.

>entering /gif as a straight man
>not exiting a homo
you couldn't make me go if you paid me to, ten seconds of sissy hypnosis scrambles your brain,bro.

This

sorry, part of your post is just blank spaces where an existing person's name should go.

Nope

what

DEL TORO DID THE SAME THING WITH PACIFIC RIM! FELT LIKE THE X-MEN OF GIANT ROBOT MOVIES!

That just reinforces exactly what I said.

Sort of reminds me of Inananananrrriiitt2tuuuu

All show, no go.

can anyone give any actual examples of post-modernism killing horror movies? i feel like it's a term that people are throwing around on Sup Forums to describe what the collective hates.

post modernism has almost killed film

In Sup Forums speak post-modernism is liberalism.

give me examples of films that are considered postmodernist.

An example of a post-modern horror movie would be The Cabin in the Woods but I liked that film.

Get Out

onpostmodernism.com/movies

if those are considered postmodernist and Sup Forums hates postmodernist movies, then Sup Forums should be on suicide watch.

That is the most reddit list of movies ever.

>Killing

I dunno about that. I like a bunch of Post Modern horror movie shit. Tucker & Dale, Cabin In The Woods etc.

dont kid yourself, a lot of those are talked about on Sup Forums very positively.

They're all talked about even more positively on reddit I assume.

you're saying Pacific Rim felt insincere? How?

I'm with her, let's have a monster girl movie

No, CGI, laziness and shitty music killed horror movies. Del Taco tries to sound smarter than he is and it's really that simple. Post-modern "ironic" horrors are actually quite rare.

Women will fall for just about any fucking disgusting monster as long as it's "dangerous" and forbidden, just look at the white women dating monorities.

>Sup Forums is full of brainlet memes
>just not in the threads that most deserves it

'''post modern''''
;;''''deconstruction''';;;;

Could someone smarter than me please explain to me what's bad about post-modernism?

da jeeeeews

>Did post-modernism kill horror movies?

Post-modernism is killing or has killed just about everything.

Horror is a trash genre because bottom-end production companies will crank them out to make a cheap buck since they can be produced on shoestring budgets without any kind of subtly or craft. Obviously there are great horror movies out there but so much of the genre is just garbage. See: anime.

Even trashy older horror movies were more entertaining than modern horror movies.

the only good movie on that list is videodrome

Postmodern thinking is what happens to you when you know a lot of things and realize that everything's bullshit. After that it's impossible to make anything sincere because you can't stop cringing at anyone who thinks everything is anything other than a meaningless joke.

>Why can't the man ever be the one smitten with a non-human that doesn't look like Daryl Hannah in Splash?

My thoughts exactly.

It's coming soon user.

Modern Star Trek is about a Male sex-assault survivor (literally), he was used as a sex slave.

It's also quite liberating being able to finally watch sassy queer scientists fraternising on board the star trek, but it means its no longer family friendly, and awkward with some of them.

Oh how I would. Would I ever.