What's so great about Don Bluth?

I mean NIMH are great, but the rest are pseudo-Disney animated movies.
Seems Nostalgia Critic thinks really highly about Don Bluth.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/t02IY-o6Wuk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're right, that shitstain does think really highly about Don Bluth, but all he did was copy Disney feature films, make them with blander animation (blander than Disney!) and more furry character design (give chest tufts to ALL the anthropomorphic animals!)

Because people sympathize with him getting screwed over by executives, and feel bad that he hasn't been able to make anything new for years. Even if he made a lot of shit like A Troll in Central Park, it's easy to pity him.

Plus, he seems like an all right guy. youtu.be/t02IY-o6Wuk

Bluth and Tiny Toons / Animaniacs probably influenced furry character design the most.

Whenever I see those FUCKING CHIN LIPS and banana-teeth...

>but the rest are pseudo-Disney animated movies.

Ahem!

Land before time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and An American Tale weren't exactly pseudo-Disney.

Fucking hate that movie.
I watched it and its sequels when I was older. Probably not the right age.

>What's so great about Don Bluth?
>pseudo-Disney
>Nostalgia Critic thinks

There was a point when these threads were ebait

OP here.
Honest thread, not bait or anything.
I love NIMH and NIMH 2 like anyone else. But the others are not really great.

>An American Tale
>The Land Before Time
>All Dogs Go To Heaven
>Not really great

user, Bluth literally told the media he wants to out-Disney Disney when he first started making movies. So yeah, pseudo-Disney is right.

Those movies are all great kids' movies, but nothing more. The animation is VERY bland in the '80s Teddy Ruxpin cuddly way, and the character design is VERY samey.

Pic related, it's the ol' chin-lips.

Bluth animation in a nutshell: everything has to have THIS character design, move THIS way, and talk THIS way.

His characters are incredibly samey, even if ostensibly his movies have very different settings.

Probably not

The original's pretty good, in my opinion, but you're right in that the sequels are godawful

How many are there now? Fourteen? And didn't that last one have Reba in it?

I would that mouse

1. Find a newer photo, lazy person.

2. Yes, half his work is shit, but he rarely had a say over what script to use; he had to feed his team of animators. Plus, a little girl he worked with for 2 years got murdered. That would traumatize a normal man.

>using an image from a Balto sequel as example
Are you insas?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

>1. Find a newer photo, lazy person.
What, why?

Films like those and Secret of NIMH were highly successful in their day and Disney actually tried to copy Bluth's dark atmosphere and tone with The Black Cauldron and failed miserably.

Only in the 90s did he make Disney-lite dogshit.

At least he tried to go out with a bang with Titan AE.

Titan AE is gr8.

His vidya are actually bretty good

>Dissing Land Before Time and An American Tale

Sup Forums was a mistake.

What's wrong with them?

The movies? Pretty much nothing.

Sup Forums? Pretty much everything.

>>Says NIMH 2 is a great movie.
This thread is going to shit.

Outside of Nimh and American Tail, the rest of his movies were either mediocre, or pure shit.

>great movie
Secret of Nimh
>good
American Tail
>okay
All dogs go to Heaven
Titan AE
Land before Time

>shit tier
Everything else.

Not sure if Fivel Goes west was 100% his, so didn't list it. But if I did it would be in the good tier.

Dunno, even as a kid I liked his (good) movies because they have a lot more nightmare-fuel/scary moments than the average 90's Disney cartoon. The animation seems more "loose" and lively too.

The Land Before Time is one of my all-time favorite animated movies.

When he isn't good, he's REALLY bad though.
>Thumbelina
>Penguin and the Pepple
>A troll in Central Park
>Rock- a- Doodle

I'd consider Secret of Nimh, American Tail, All Dogs and LBT to be all classics. That's a pretty good record.

I think he was pressured into making more commercial stuff which is why the quality nosedived. A whole bunch of his (non sequel) work was straight to video quality.

Anastasia was decent, Titan AE was a film which would likely have been a great live action film and seemed to have a lot of studio interference (only the sequence with the flying bat aliens was something that had hallmarks of Bluth's animation).

so what exactly has been going on with the dragon's lair movie?

last i heard they were toning down daphnie and everyone flipped their shit like it hasn't been done before

Dunno, I regard all crowdfunding as scams.

>NIMH was great
It was shit

You was shit. Shill is.

What's so bad about NIMH 2?