Judge Dredd Storytime - Werewolf Edition

Under the streets of Mega-City One... in the darkest depths of the 22nd Century megalopolis... lies a place frozen in time. A snapshot of the past -- preserved in darkness -- and inhabited by monsters. Dehumanized troggies, insane robots, and somewhere deeper still... something even more dangerous. With rows of silver teeth gleaming in the eternal midnight of the Undercity, they roam. They are savage. They are ruthless. They are hungry. And they're coming for you...
From John Wagner, Alan Grant, the late great Steve Dillon, and John McCrea, the Galaxy's Greatest Comics present Judge Dredd in... "CRY OF THE WEREWOLF"!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Am_Ljw1SmU
youtube.com/watch?v=AZV4P0AtsyI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's start off with IDW's latest reprint of the original classic that started it all. After that, we'll get to the Deviations special, written and drawn by John McCrea.

Big ups to IDW for reprinting in the original black and whites. I've yet to see a recoloring of 70s/80s Dredd that I've felt actually enhanced the art.

This book also has a bunch of awesome pin-ups scattered throughout, like this fucking amazing Duncan Fegredo piece.

Brendan McCarthy!

>that time Judge Dredd crashed a robot/werewolf BDSM orgy

Aww yeah, David Lloyd.

This story turned out better than I thought it would. Happy to read it again.

Garry Leach, it's been a while.

And now, the roaring conclusion!

And that's it for the original Cry of the Werewolf. A sequel did come out years later, "Out of the Undercity", drawn by Carl Critchlow. That's not what we'll be reading tonight, because tonight, we have to ask ourselves a question, Sup Forums.
We have to ask... what if...?

What if Judge Dredd had stayed a werewolf?

I'm really, really happy about John McCrea's latest 2000AD material. He's been absolutely rocking every project he's been given and his style has evolved noticeably. Great stuff all around.

Alright, let's get started.

>TIME TO FAAAAARGHHH

Oh man, this guy.
THIS. GUY.
This whole scene is taken from "The Weather Man", a Ron Smith-drawn story from right after the Apocalypse War. It's amazing and I'm overjoyed to see McCrea's version of it.

Maybe I should storytime that one too, once we're done here.

Look who it is, everyone!
youtube.com/watch?v=8Am_Ljw1SmU

GLOBAL RULE #3!

Man, it is WEIRD to see Dredd being popular amongst the citizenry, even in wolf form. This is some Day the Law Died shit.

But if you love them, Sup Forums... sometimes you have to let them go.

youtube.com/watch?v=AZV4P0AtsyI

And so ends the saga of WolfDredd... and dawns the Era of WolfBros!

RIP Steve.
Thanks for everything.

Couple more pin-ups around. This one from Jock...

bump

A really cool one by Phil Hester...

And some PJ Holden goodness.

>Big ups to IDW for reprinting in the original black and whites.
they also kept the freaky 2000AD colors in the spreads

McGruder with her elaborate pep talks again...
>"Exactly. Have fun."

How come Dredd always gets the bikes with the defective personalities?

And he was never heard from again... Lots of good minor characters in this one who actually got stuff to do rather than just sit around in the backgroun delivering exposition: Cassidy, Prager, Korkorran, and Fogg who bagged the first werewolf early on in the story.

Don't see that happening as much now as they go the action movie route where it gets written so that the main protag has to do everything by themselves.

Yeah, that's really kind of a bummer. Used to be that Dredd felt like a cog in a machine. A particularly sturdy, well-built and important cog, but still pretty much just that. Nowards it's like what happened in the 90s: a bunch of writers who are Dredd fans first and foremost who like to write Dredd being The Man and kicking everyone's ass all the time.
Rob Williams kinda tries to give others stuff to do, but ehhh...

Considering all that happened later, it's funny to see how famously Dredd and McGruder got along in her first term.

>Sorry about the tiny sign.

There's always one.

>another smartass bike
Noice.

>furry fandom campaigning for, as Anderson puts it, "Hairy Joe"
>SORRY ABOUT THE TINY SIGN!
This is fucking marvelous, as is everything else in the thread.