Dunkirk vs The Thin Red Line

Which is better?

Dunkirk by far

Dunkirk, best war film since the 80s desu

idk but I'd just like to mention the Dunkirk REMUX is up.

thin red line by farrier

*poops in your backyard*

>war film
really ?

dunkino vs thin red kino?

both are KINO and absolutely BASED

/ourkinos/

wew

The Thin Red Line

more like DUMkirk lol

post moar hd res dunkino pics

You know Sup Forums is dead when plebs try to compare a hack like Nolan to someone like Malick.

not even funny

For the first few minutes I thought this was Ewan McGregor

I just realized how long its been since I've seen a demotivational posted on 4chins.

No, they're comparing the movie. The definition of a pleb would be saying all the works from a director is good because he made a few good ones (applies to both)

When I first saw the film I thought Tommy was grabbing the fliers as souvenirs, only now do I realize he was planning to wipe his ass with them. Tommy's only motivation in the first five minutes is taking a shit.

And people say this film doesn't have meaningful characterization.

>yfw Tommy held his shit in until he got back home

confirmed BRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPKino

Not really a great comparison.
The Thin Red Line is a bit of a too poetic take on war with far too much instances of fake empathy for the characters, not at all what Dunkirk was about.

Even though Nolan loves that film, he was clearly going in a completely different way, it's like The Wages of Fear but in a war setting.

They're both great but for different reasons OP

TRL is more existential. It's about humanity, nature, and our place in the universe.

Dunkirk is all about being in the moment with the troops and feeling their desperation, their struggle.

Realism and action...Dunkirk
More Sadness and shittier but equally action...Thin Red Line.

You know that last couple seconds in the film of Tommy looking up from his newspaper before it cuts to black?

That's when the shit came out.

TTLR takes itself too seriously. Malick takes himself too seriously. Watching his recent movies is like reading freshman philosophy,

Dunkirk is a Nolan movie without the faults usually associated with his movies.

Dunkirk feels like your entire school is wrapping up a big field trip and you'll all at the ferry terminal waiting to go home, but you've been separated from your class just as a natural disaster begins.

Why didnt he just land on the beach with rest of his comrades...

Land where? Too low to parachute, too dangerous to land in shallow wavy water and landing gear stuck so he can't just land immediately.

Dunkirk is absolute trash
I want redditors to leave

Hacksaw Ridge

>takes itself too seriously
stopped reading there

>EBERYTHING SOULD BEEE LYKE MUH QUIPPY MAHVELL FILMS!

Yeah bro a war movie should have quips like my Marvel kinos

Dunkirk is bad. Really bad. I enjoyed Fury far more than Dunkirk.

In Dunkirk you don't feel any real connection to any of the characters at all. I feel like this movie was made just to stretch the cinematography legs of Nolan's team.

Also, if you didn't see Fury in theaters, you really /really/ missed out. The Tiger fight scene is without a doubt the most tense scene in any film in the last 20 years, Dunkirk included.

>Mfw no war films can ever top these

Lol. Are cinemas even trying?

Do you need a whole backstory for every character first to care about him? Are you so used to capeshit garbage that you first need an entire origin movie for the character setup to care about a person?
Is it not enough to show how Rylance is a compassionate stoic old man who lost his son in the first two weeks of the war enough to care about him? Is it not enough to show a brave pilot continuously sacrificing himself for his fellow countrymen to care about him? To feel sorry for a group of at last saved barely 18 year old soldiers who suddenly get torpedoed the fuck out of?
What did you want, a scene around a campfire where they all talk about their sweethearts waiting at home? Tom Hardy sipping tea and jerking off to dear Ol' Marge in the airbase? A scene of some old generals in a boardroom arguing while staring at a map? Dunkirk wasn't about that fake empathy/sentimentality, it was about being thrown into the event itself.

Characters are made by action, not just reciting lines about their backstory. The portrayed situations alone should be enough for you to be attached to the person on-screen if you're not a full blown turboautist.

this

Holy autism.

Come and See and Das Boot already did that years ago my dear american casual

Ding ding ding

Dunkirk is worse than Hacksaw Ridge

I said war films foreign friend. I actually love Das Boot and Come and See. Both were fantastic.

Do we have to go through this same post EVERY Dunkirk thread

Oh shit nigger.

List of actually good War movies/shows:

Level of their own:
Taegukgi
Das Boot
Come and See
All Quiet on the Western Front

Breddy Gud:
Flags of our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
Saving Private Ryan
The Pacific
Band of Brothers
Fate of a Man
Thin Red Line
Fury
Enemy at the Gates
Tora! Tora! Tora!
A Bridge Too Far
Stalingrado
Generation War
Empire of the Sun

Special Mentions:
Hurt Locker
Jarhead

Im sure I forgot some but Dunkirk doesn't really belong.

> I do not like to merely take sides during an enlightened debate, both positions have their merits
All fucking centrists must fucking hang.

you forgot cross of iron

They're both great.

Anyone who doesn't agree with my views is reddit. Kys faggot

no need to be mad friend :)

the other guys in the boat got upset and wanted to throw the frog out because they thought he'd ripped one but it was tommy

Back off white bread, don't get between a dog and his meat.