What are some good WW2 comics out there?

What are some good WW2 comics out there?

I've greatly enjoyed the 00s Sgt. Rock mini-series, so something with similar tone would be neat.

Also interested in comics about super-powered people in WW2, or similar scenarios, but in a realistic way, like in the many Hellboy spin-offs, not in a golden age heroes way.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/90951175/#q90957418
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Battlefields, by Garth Ennis.
War Story, also by Garth Ennis (especially the Vertigo stuff).
Enemy Ace: War in Heaven, also by Garth Ennis. You may be seeing a pattern here.
Unknown Soldier by Kanigher and Kubert.
The original Sgt. Rock run by Kanigher and Kubert, which while often cheesy, is still plenty awesome.
A few stories in Blazing Combat.
If you can find it, Oesterheld and Hugo Pratt's Ernie Pike.

Unknown Soldier
DC's war Showcase presents volumes in general.
Gart Ennis'' Battlefields series
Fury: Peacemaker
Sgt. Rock - The lost Battalion

Any chance for a story time?

Dreaming Eagles and Johnny Red by Ennis.

I'm kinda trying to get my writing on, but how about a short one? A short, tiny, miserable little tale about the death of Sgt. Rock.

Ok, couple of words about this one: way back in Pre-Crisis days, Sgt. Rock was confirmed as having survived WWII, become a general, teamed-up with Batman, the whole nine yards.

black knight story.

it is a manga tho.

Terry & The Pirates and Buz Sawyer if you want comics about WW2 that were made during WW2.

But Robert Kanigher, Rock's original writer and co-creator, always saw him as an emblematic figure of WWII. To him, he just didn't fit anywhere else.

There's an arc in The Boys about superheroes in WWII that's really good.

For real, like the other user said, anything WWII-related written by Ennis is probably good

Why mention it then?

>Enemy Ace: War in Heaven
weak, I was expecting more from Ennis. I like the Kaningher and Pratt stuff much better.

Uber is the best comic about superpowered people in WWII if you ask me. It's great.

Please continue.

How many of those are digitally reprinted, I wonder?

So on interviews and magazines and such, Kanigher said that, in his mind, Sgt. Rock had always died killed by the last bullet fired on the last day of battle in the European Theater of WWII. And after Crisis, that was silently accepted as the canon end for Sgt. Rock.

I was the opposite. I expected a short, heavily-controlled-by-DC-editorial revival of Enemy Ace to be the kind of thing Ennis would phone in, but I really enjoyed it.

As it should be, IMO. I don't think he belongs in regular DC continuity

Kanigher died in 2002.
Sgt. Rock died in 1945.
And in 2010, Len Wein and Joe Kubert showed us how it happened.

I know all the Ennis stuff is out there in digital. Dunno about the Kubert stuff tho', I just have those in the DC Showcase volumes.

It wasn't bad, just ... okayish. But I like Ennis and I like Enemy Ace so...

Only Battlefields, alas.

I like War Idyll more too, but OP asked for WWII stuff. And on its own, War in Heaven is pretty damn good. Hans rampage on the 262 near the end still chills me to the bone.

I think high expectations were your undoing. It was a decent Ennis story and a decent Enemy Ace story, but far from a career high for either.

I guess. Point is, it's not great but it should've been.

It's kind of a really cheesy end, but I always love it as a sort of silent indictment of the tragedy of war. That a man as strong and brave and just downright good as Rock could die from the very last bullet fired in Europe, a death that's both very heroic but also incredibly small and almost pitiful in how it could've been avoided, speaks of how war neither knows nor cares about individual qualities. Nobody is invincible, not even the best of us.

THE HAUNTED TANK

Is that the girl all grown up or another ww2 character?

At the end of the day, his death teaches us that the only way to prevent the loss of men like Sgt. Rock -- of honest, hard-working, loyal, strong men who make the world a better place with their presence -- is the same we've always known but so often disdain as a vague utopia at best and an unthinkable impossibility at worst...

Make War No More.

Hey, anybody know what happened to that Sgt. Rock movie Jeff Katz was trying to get going a few years back? Did that stall out, or is there still something happening there?

That's Mademoiselle Marie, AKA "The Battle Doll", a french resistance fighter who starred in her own series and had a bit of a long-distance love triangle between her, Rock and Jeb Stuart, the captain of Ultimately, Rock prevailed, probably because he didn't have to deal with the spirit of a confederate general giving him vague hints about how to wield his "cannon" in the bedroom.

Most likely just went the way of the Schwarzennegger Sgt. Rock movie.

manga is comic, but if he doesnt want it, let him be, it is only one more option.

bummer

The French got plenty of military aviation comics and they recently released a couple of historic WW2-series as part of the alt-timeline-type-stories that are currently popular.

>Oesterheld and Hugo Pratt's Ernie Pike.
Those are excellent. So are The Scorpions of the Desert (about the African theater and the LRDG) and In a Faraway Sky.

Btw, Pratt actually served in the italian army at the beginning of ww2, then was captured and enrolled by the german Wasserschutzpolizei, and escaped to join the allies as a translator. The guy knows what he's talking about.

It's a shame they're so hard to find. I'd kill for an Absolute Ernie Pike. The closest I've seen are some euro hardcovers that, hilariously, use the Predator font for the title.

The fist part of Beyond the clouds was storytimed a couple weeks ago:
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90951175/#q90957418

The french make a lot of historical comics of varying quality. Tarawa - The bloody atoll, by Charlier and Hubinon (that also made Buck Danny, a comic about a US pilot fighting japs) is the one I would recomend most.

There's also Kursk - Storm of Steel (tourmente d'acier), a great portrayal of the battle of Kursk (duh). The author, Guy Mouminoux was a soldier there and also wrote a great book, the forgotten soldier. He got a couple other ww2 stories under his belt, mostly about naval stuff.

If you want (heavily) romanced stuff, Once Upon a Time in France (Il etait une fois en France) tells the story of Joseph Joanovici, a gangster that made a ton of money in ww2 by dealing with everyone on the black market. Selling stell to the germans in 36, guns to the resistance in 44, and intel to the soviet in between, amongst other things. You can follow the war in parallel with his personal story.
Comando colonial follows a band of adventurers and secret service oeratives in the pacific and africa. It's quite fun.

We got an omnibus recently. Problem is, it's only the stories drawn by Pratt, so José Delbo stuff. One of the stories is simply cut in the middle, with a page of text explaining the end.

On a sidenote, I've seen a lot of self-hating ww2 french comics. Like "this machine kills fascists", a mediocre story about a IS-2 from 1945 to modern day uganda, where all the german soldiers have very visible SS Charlemagne division patches. It wasn't mentionned at all, had nothing to do with the rest of the story, and you didn't see a single native german soldier in the battle of Berlin. Quite surprising.