You've got a webcomic, right? Post about it here. Share WIPs, pages, drawings, scripts, whatever...

You've got a webcomic, right? Post about it here. Share WIPs, pages, drawings, scripts, whatever. Get comments and critique.

Previous thread: Thread activity: share what themes, rules and patterns you try to keep within your comic. What do they mean to you and where did they come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/#ch_97998
abnor.com.br/?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a l,short list of sites that any new webcomic artist/writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

first time making one of these threads btw. feel free to tell me if I fucked something up.

You didn't set the title.

This is How's Your Webcomic? #357

There was a thread of sorts made yesterday, but I don't think it counts due to April Fools shenanigans.

I'm back and i honest need to stop changing my ideas over and over again. So instead of change my comic I'm just gonna add whatever I can to this new one.
No more redoing, every character I've made so far for a comic will be implemented into this one as background or mains.

Even the little goblin fella, now with a bit more leniency with the design. since this one i gonna be more toon like with the character art.

Hey, /HWWC/, I've got a question. I was thinking of making a comic about high stakes video game competitions. Would it be gimmicky/corny if I had the videogames drawn in sprites while the "real" stuff was drawn regularly?

Been working on a new method for backgrounds and environments using colored outlines and textures with a photobash base for reference. Here's one I'm working on. Obviously a lot of it is still in photobash portion but the segments that are done such as the floor, monitors, stools, trashcan, sign, desk, etc I think are looking pretty good.

I'm surprised this is the first time I've ever seen a character with paw prints on the bottoms of their shoes. Neat. As for a critique I think if you're trying to emulate fleischer era cartoons you may want to try and get rid of as many unnecessary lines as possible (stripes on the belt and soles, fly on pants, etc) and exaggerate their line of motion a little more.

I don't see how there'd be anything wrong with that. As long as they aren't really shitty ones I think it would be fine. You may want to set yourself on a specific console as reference and put some research into what kind of color/complexity restrictions they had for authenticity.

I suppose i can get rid of the unnecessary stripes, This design is almost exactly like i did when i drew him on the sketchbook.

I love the design for the arcade and the color design stays true to the theme of the comic.

I like the touch with the vending machines in back, you could have a guy basically be the bar tender while people just pay him for the stuff in the machines.

Thanks! And you're right actually. The machines behind the counter are going to be broken, they're basically just make shift refrigerators and storage containers that dispense things if you hit them hard enough (which is the bar tenders job). I'm thinking half of them wont even have food items just random tech accessories and tools.

Merva here is the owner. This is a super old drawing though, I really need to make a final model of her.

A school student with a paragon complex and psychic powers attempts to mind-crush selfish individuals into being lawful drones. The student council orders his transfer to a class of problematic students, along with two teens who were previously 'redeemed' and retained their free will - they must now pretend to be his friends while subverting his ideological rampage.

invite for discord please? I am a lurker

What do guys think of this idea for a comic?

Its set 200 years after a worldwide nuclear war. Prior to the bomb strike most people were able to survive in connected underground shelters, while very few people survived on the surface. As i said 200 years pass with the humans underground staying as humans while the humans above ground are mutants who adapt to the radioactive environment so much that they feed off radiation and would die if exposed to clean air.

30 years ago the humans have come out of their shelters with a device that could purify the air, which could mean death for the mutants. With that humans outnumber mutants 15 to 1. A war is about start

I don't see what's the issue, sounds pretty cool to me. Video games should look like video games, are you going to do your own pixel art or just rip it?

boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/#ch_97998

New chapter is out my friends! Still don't know what to do about the update ordeal one user was talking about.

If I can find a way so you can read at the beginning of the new chapter update instead of the end of it, that'd be great.

Hope you all enjoy

What's the secret to proper paneling and text box placement?

What the hell is #1 trying to say? They both look exactly the same and have the exact same text.

the letter i and the lines above and under it

Don't use wide "I"s within words, only if the letter is on it's own. It doesn't read as easily I guess?

I guess that makes sense, but I also just now noticed that every single letter in that thing is capitalized.

I don't read comics often, but I guess everything is supposed to be capitalized?

Personally, I'd say don't compromise. If you're not fully on board with your own idea, you'll just get bored half way.
Also, loving the baseball bat meme one.

>Still no Artborn update
Hino, what are you doing?!

cute as hell!
wait are we not in the other thread anymore? should I let it die?

I was wondering about that guy.

it's comic tradition but it's hardly necessary
back in the day when you had to actually use a fucking printing device, that helped, i think

So how do I start a comic?
I don't mean the process but how do I introduce the reader into my story without it being awkward?`
Do I use an establishing shot and show the names for everyone or do I just start in the middle of the action and let the characters drop each others names naturally?

didnt you ask this two threads ago?

well in any case, it depends. I think people tolerate a simple establishing-shot-and-name intro for something fast-paced and energetic like a superhero comic.. on the other hand if it's a mundane slice of life thing with a lot of verisimilitude, it's best to introduce them naturally.. which is tough because .. I mean I dunno about some people, but I never use names, and neither do my friends.

bump

Well I decided to make a webcomic myself and I want it to be about a girl and her lizard thing who go on wacky adventures through magical lands and space.
I know these designs are pretty generic but I had fun coming up with something.

i fucking love it. great concept. are there magical lands IN space as well?
they're the opposite of generic. I was thinking they're kind of a strange mix of highly detailed and weirdly simplified and proportioned. I love each individual aspect of them, but the whole is... unbalanced?
I'd workshop them a little more, you're clearly a fantastic artist so I bet you aren't worried this is the only good thing you can produce the excuse I give whenever people want me to try a few alternate versions of things, because it's true.

Well, first of all thanks for the kind words and yeah when I say magical lands and space I'm kinda thinking Dragonball, Super Mario Galaxy and Space Dandy if that makes any kind of sense.
As for the designs I agree that they seem somewhat off and I'm not sure about the style in which I want to draw either.
I'm new to this wole webcomic thing so I already feel like fucking up.

that makes EVERY kind of sense. I also had Kirby on the brain, and maybe Magical Adventures in Space (god i miss that comic)
My thinking is... the dinosaur is roughly right, but it's so odd he doesn't have even stub arms, considering he's so anatomical. and maybe he can have some pupils..
whereas Yana-chan just needs a slightly (slightly!) smaller head, a neck, and some scaled-up legs, and she'll be about perfect. here i'll show you what I was thinking

Sup Forums please knock some fucking sense into me.

I'm halfway through my graduate degree in a non-art field but all I can think about is getting it over with so I can work on my webcomic. I've been refining the story for years and it's finally becoming what I want it to be, it's on my mind constantly and I just want to make it come to life. But it's gotten to the point that I can't focus on my actual fucking thesis and my grades are starting to suffer.

Tell me it's not worth it Sup Forums. Tell me no one will read it and I'll be an unknown mediocre artist forever. The logical part of my mind knows I can take a break before PhD to work on it but the delusional attention-seeking part just wants to drop out right now and start drafting.

Also, general advice on how to balance work and passion projects, I guess.

it's worth it, you just need to learn how to balance your hobby better. The part that needs to be suffering is your social life, not your grades. What are you doing after you've gotten all your homework and studying done? If the answer isn't drawing, then you don't deserve to pick up the pen. if you're getting a doctorate, you've already given up on any chance of being happy in life outside of your job or people who surround you because of your prestige. And that's good, I wish I'd done it.

You know everything we are going to say already. You can't make a living on your webcomic. You have to really build a fanbase for years before you are able to do that.

Then again, how much do you really need this degree of yours? It's unrelated to comic work, but if you are only piling debt on a worthless degree, it really is better to leave and start working with anything else (that makes you money, of course, not your comic). Work on your comic on your free time, try to gain popularity with your artwork and only then start working on comic pages, see how many of your fans are interested.

Post art, btw.

as I understand it, the degree he has NOW is worthless, it's only the phd that's gonna make the previous degree worthwhile, as a stepping-stone.

I like the armless pupil-less dinosaur. I think omitting pupils from animal characters instantly makes them cuter.

why would you come to a community of webcomic creators to tell you that making a webcomic is a bad idea?

Also uhhh, update on this. Now I just need to do the posters, blue arcade machines and things for the monitors and then I'll start doing foreground stuff.

Start your comic now and keep studying for your degree. Chances are, your comic won't make enough money to support you, but it will probably provide you plenty satisfaction by just doing it.
Set aside an hour or so every night to just work on your comic, and only work for that time, and dedicate another couple hours just to studying and work.
Just out of curiosity, what are you getting a degree in?

I'm doing the same thing, only I'm just cutting out some social stuff and VIDEO GAMES in favor of my eventual project.

I didn't even pick an art field, I just chose Language and CS. Highly unrelated to drawing or writing.

My opinion is that you really don't need a degree in something if you can display proficiency in the subject anyway. Just finish your degree (if you feel it will actually benefit you) and do the comic when you have spare time. If you have significant spare time and don't use it for your project, I'm not sure what to say.

Also, continuing from yesterday before the /cock/ happened.

God i know what you mean by switching ideas, it seems like i come up with the basis for a new story everyday and non of them really stick out to me as better than the others so i can never decide. On the flip side, ive finally nailed down a general idea for the setting i want to base my comics in, i just need to work on fleshing out the details. Or i could just scrap it and start all over, its yet to be seen which one ill pick.

>My opinion is that you really don't need a degree in something if you can display proficiency in the subject
this is rapidly becoming true. sadly when I went to college the 'people only respect a degree' mentality was still in full effect. at least I went in knowing full well I was just buying a job ticket, and I got a job. the part I didn't realize is that that job would destroy my life and I'm straight-up incapable of working fulltime. should have just sponged off my parents a bit while I worked on my career, but I was so obsessed with making sure I had cable and internet paid for.

Is this just a slow day for this general? I haven't visited this site in a long time.

I hate wageslavery, it makes me wanna kill myself sometimes.

it's a slow day on Sup Forums in general. weird stuff happened yesterday.
anyway wageslavery is the only way of life for slaves, it's just that we aren't those.

Is it better to use Disquis or the default Wordpress comment system for managing comments on your comic's website?

they're both pretty bad, at least disqus's biggest crimes are that it takes forever to load and requires you to sign up
wordpress is glitchy as hell, right now all of wordpress errors when I comment. different error on each site. I think I'm on their spam list.. but none of them work well.

Mine is chugging along so far. Got a new page coming up tomorrow starring this bitch and one more character.

Huh. The pretty blue eyes and human teeth make it a little more 'land before time' than the badass warrior I think you were going for

Wow, I suck at sandwiching.
What I meant to include there is how well-drawn, posed, and shaded she is. Also, gotta dig the cigar.

Thanks, Broseph Stalin. And to be perfectly honest, you're not supposed to take her (or any of the cast) all that seriously. In fact, the whole comic is a piss-take on various "Strong Female Character (TM)" tropes.

I hate coming here cause most of the art is real cool and I hope it goes somewhere.

oh that's perfect then. may I suggest eyelashes
that also explains the t-shirt.

bump

Just gonna drop an update here, I changed the colors a and backgrounds a bit.

lookin nice. I could learn a lot from you about deceptively simple foliage.

Feel like sharing a WIP here because yay dialogue and personality. So weird how much mileage I got out of this friend-insert character compared to most of the others. he's just male Ryouko, but I think that just made me work harder to establish him as a big deal and a serious threat, even as other villains were utter jokes, and then those tried to work for him. I just keep coming back to him time after time. also never once changed or updated his appearance.

I made this. Have a couple comics with it. Pls b nice.

Afternoon in Euroland Bump.

Keep going; don't give up.

abnor.com.br/?lang=en

Breakdowns

The author of Paranatural disabled comments on his site because he was using Disqus and people were exploiting a bug to comment on pages that didn't exist yet.

In my experience Wordpress comments are way faster than Disqus but they are also harder to moderate, at least once you start getting a ton of comments. With Disqus you can do things like banning people from commenting on your site which isn't possible in Wordpress comments.

Workin on another practice comic!

Lookin' cool, I like that character design. You got more to show?

The relatively consistent lack of backgrounds pulls me out of it.

bump

as always, a masterpiece
'lay it off' isn't really a phrase though, maybe you mean 'lay off it' ?

oh god, end of the fourth row is heartbreaking.
and then the very last panel.. now i'm in tears for a different reason

>comment on pages that didn't exist yet.
spooky. what, so as soon as he uploaded, there'd be comments?

appreciate the direct link!
Oh god, python fight
I think maybe you could use a few extra commas here and there. stuff like "put these fellers behind bars boys" just comes off a little odd, and "We lost Leo" is straight up misleading.
you also had one instance of "you're brother" on page 10
i love the mom inspiration. this comic is great

Thanks for reading!

Would "We lost, Leo." Read better?

I understand that. Backgrounds take a long time to draw when you're aiming for 20 pages a month. Maybe we should add more in though. Thanks for your feedback.

theres bgs on 7-8 pages of the current release tho?

and the previous one has a bg in almost every page

yep that's it. When you end a sentence with the person you're speaking to, you want to put a comma before it
(technically if you BEGIN a sentence with the person you're speaking to (or any kind of intro adverb), you're supposed to put a comma after it, but honestly I intentionally break that rule if it ruins the flow

Makes sense, I'll update them in a bit.

Taking a break from backgrounds to make the finalized model for Merva like I talked about doing here. My goal for her is to look like one of those alien ravers from samurai jack.

definite samurai jack raver feel. good job

Not anything new

niiice cave.

You know what's surprisingly a rather large pain in the ass?

Character relationships.

You'd think that once you're done defining each of your individual protagonists, the way they bounce off each other would come naturally, but no, not really. Say you have five protags, as I do. Now you have to think about how each one specifically interact with each of their comrades. Even without the numbers, the various ins and outs of how two different people interact is full of complex intricacies that require a writer to pull from every aspect of the characters, to their surface traits, to hidden aspects, to philosophical beliefs... And these people are all childhood friends who are so tight that it sort of starts to become a source of conflict.

I know this is sounding like "writing is haaaaaard!", but damn. Every time I try to flesh this aspect out, I hit a road block.

I hear you, man. I can do 'bounce off of' pretty well, but getting more complicated is hard. Sometimes you have to rig up contrived situations to get them alone together..
and on top of that you have to keep track of who knows what about whom, because that changes everything.. and neither extreme is easy to write. strangers can't relate enough, and close friends have no reason to express things the other knows full well

Make a character web? Or shorten up each character's relationships with bullet points; maybe just focus on a few aspects that stand out instead of trying to create a massive amount of subtext that 99% of the readers won't get anyway.

>tfw too intelligent to be an artist so I have to hire one

But are you intelligent enough to get them to work for "exposure"

just finished this page's pencils after jumping back on completing this comic.

>when too artist to be an intelligent so I have to hire one

If you weren't a virgin you wouldn't have this problem. Just sayin'.

i cant even think about character interactions yet.
im really autistic and barely handle real relationships

Thanks man, we will change "lay it off" to "get real" by the way. Sounds good?

>Make a character web?
what are we xenoblade now? actually that's a good idea. I've made bullet points for personalities in the past, but never with regards to each other.

That's only true the other way around. you can fake your way to sex, you can't fake your way to understanding social shit.
ah yeah that's perfect

Or to put it another way, you can social your way to sex, you can't sex your way to social.

May I get a discord invite please?

Boner

a preview of things to come for WAY OF THE GUN (formally middle lands lol last time I change it!) two new characters will enter the battle field. I want to give a shout out to beck, much appreciated man!

Are you kidding? I start with character relationships, and flesh them out from the original source conflict. That way I never deal with finding their interactions - they were born from them.

but what if the lion's share of your characters are just normal people like you'd meet every day, who just.. when they're together in any situation, just kind of be quiet and try not to rock the boat?

Conflict doesn't necessarily mean over-the-top dramatics. A group of normal friends is full of conflict. Who likes who? Who's known each other longer? Who hangs out with each other more? There's always friction, even if it's fairly subtle. That's where I start.

Working on a character for an upcoming story, trying out some colors! Any suggestions? Any stand out?

I use the same method, I develop the characters's personal lives first and then figure out their exact role in the plot.

Then you might need to diversify your cast some more. If all of your character's reactions to being in a social situation is to keep to themselves and not cause conflict they're probably a bit too similar.
Do you have characters who are friendly and go out of their way to introduce themselves to people? Do you have characters who are contrarian and grumpily disagree with whatever idea the rest of the group came up with? Do you have characters who like to ramble on about the Youtube videos they watched last night?
All of these sentences could describe people I know irl. Your characters don't have to be wacky and zany to be differentiated.

My problem is the opposite, usually how characters interact is easy for me. Defining my characters as individuals though, yeah not so much. I can write a base personality, but I find it hard to express the character unless they're interacting with others. So I use character interaction to define my cast as individuals.

times like that I have to try NOT to just write who i know.