Batman - War of Jokes and Riddles

taken from reddit - reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/632w1q/i_was_at_the_tom_king_panel_about_the_war_of/

"It wasn't exclusively about the War but it did give some nice hints.

>1) It's going to be 8 issues

>2) The sides are Joker's chaos and Riddler's order. Tom referred to them more as anarchy vs fascism.

>3) Batman will be forced to pick a side.

>4) There will be 2 issues from the perspective of Kiteman(HELL YEAH) about being a low level bat villain stuck in this big bat war. Will be drawn by a guest artist.

>5) Plenty of other villains will be involved: Deathstroke vs Deathshot and Grundy vs Killer Croc(I think) were specifically named.

Now some unrelated news.

>Tom has a 12 issue series coming out in July. No names yet but be on the watchout.

>In Batman 20 Tom is going to give Bruce Wayne a middle name.

>Tom once pitched a story where a kid tries to become Batman by killing his parents

>The Elmer Fudd story will have a backup, also written by Tom, with Batman in the Bugs Bunny world."

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/04/01/next-weeks-batman-will-discover-bruce-waynes-real-name-spoilers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>In Batman 20 Tom is going to give Bruce Wayne a middle name.
Am I the only one who thought his middle was already Anthony

Like I don't know where I saw it or who told me but
just Anthony

According to BC the middle name that Tom chose for that it'll be Thomas, so Bruce now will be named Bruce Thomas Wayne

for the 12 issue series its supposed to be another dc obscurity a la omega men

any bets on who/what its gonna be? He said something about a character nobody's done anything with in a while

Apparently it takes place shortly after Zero Year, too.

Of course it is.

I'm just taking what Rich said

bleedingcool.com/2017/04/01/next-weeks-batman-will-discover-bruce-waynes-real-name-spoilers/

>The Elmer Fudd story will have a backup, also written by Tom, with Batman in the Bugs Bunny world."

You are forgiven, King

I'm pretty sure his name was already Thomas? Like I remember reading Broken City or something and Martha calls him "Bruce Thomas Wayne"

That's the one thing I can believe from him though.

It's common to name boys after their fathers in this way.

I can see Scarecrow taking Joker's side, and hugo strange on riddler's side

>8 issues
Yuck, I thought we were done with that shit. At least because of the double shipping it won't go on forever like Zero Year did, so that's something I guess.

There's already a Thomas Jr and a Thomas Elliot.

That's enough Thomases.

>Kiteman(HELL YEAH)

I'm getting kind of annoyed by this forced meme.

Does anyone still give a fuck about King's Batman?

I'll break your damn back

it's intriguing

>deathstroke

for the love of god i hope king is reading prieststroke and just follows priest's characterization

At this point its a abusive relationship.

I swear if King put Harley against Ivy just because of Muh Jookah, I will tear King a new one

I love it. It's not Batman, but neither was Snyder's run and this is way better than that. I love the writing style and the way he has the arcs feeding into each other. I don't get why people are suddenly calling him Bendis 2.0 either, he had characters talking the same way in Omega Men and Vision, but no one complained then. It's not even very Bendis-y. Characters don't ramble on saying something that could have taken one balloon, he just has them break what they're saying into more sentences and sometimes has a thematic phrase that's repeated throughout the issue.

timm pls go

Like you have the balls or the skills. Tom will put you to the ground, you fat cunt.

>I love it. It's not Batman, but neither was Snyder's run and this is way better than that

People keep saying this like it justifies everything. Yeah King's run is definitely better than everything Snyder did post-CoO, but that doesn't make it good. You guys have been starved of a good Batman run for too long; your standards have started to fall.

What the fuck did you say about me, you little bitch?. Blah Blah 300 kills Blah Blah meme

Calm down, bruh

>Tom once pitched a story where a kid tries to become Batman by killing his parents
So Hush?

He wanted to become Bruce Wayne, not Batman.

How does the kid even know batmans parents are dead unless he knows he is bruce wayne.

Look, we think up the SHOCKING TWIST and then work backwards from there.

I'm not sure, but I think he's told villains /people he's saved that he fights crime because his parents were killed when he was a child.

At this point, who DOESN'T know Batman's identity?

>2 kiteman issues
not bad

You know it's funny. The reason most vigilantes keep a secret identity is to protect their loved ones. However, pretty much all of Bruce's loved ones are *also* highly trained vigilantes.

As I understand that bit, it isn't a DC universe story necessary. Could be a IRL world kid who tried to.

>Kite Man Henching Intermission
Hell Yeah

"New Genesis Tech" is a bunch of loose wires?

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks this page is obnoxiously overrated.

Must be hard being the lone retard on the Internet :(

The only reason people like it is because it's basically just a meme. It's no different than people who love facebook-tier image macros

Might as well ask here...
In JLvsSS Batman mentioned Waller broke into the Batcave, so I presume she knows her identity
My question is, how did she find it out?
(I'm tradewaiting King's Batman)

>There will be 2 issues from the perspective of Kiteman

this pleases me

Fucking King naming Batman after himself. How egotistical can you get?

The Riddler?

>Deathstroke and Croc
Riddler side?
>Deadshot and Grundy
Joker side?

Never read Kings Batman, why is it different? This concept seems cool, always thought Ridler was under used.

>4) There will be 2 issues from the perspective of Kiteman(HELL YEAH) about being a low level bat villain stuck in this big bat war. Will be drawn by a guest artist.

this sounds awesome and exactly what I've wanted for a long time

>>Tom once pitched a story where a kid tries to become Batman by killing his parents

jesus Tom

that's amazing

It's fascinating watching a good writer get hard work run through the the DC beast and giving an autopsy to the result, but I wouldn't call it good

I just want king off it so I can like him again

I'm keen to see how Tom writes Joker. The fact that he's using Snyder's Riddler doesn't give me a lot of hope though.

snyder's was the first good riddler in a long time

CRAWLIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGG
Seriously think one day King is going to go too far up his ass and become a full meme writer.

Agreed. This is pretty much the most uncontroversial choice one could possibly make. I can't see any reason why anyone will have a problem with it.

Of course people will have a problem with it anyway.

>Batman will be forced to pick a side
We already know whose side he'll choose

Good to see Hal has enough free time from saving the universe to punch clowns with giant green boxing gloves

Just like his other books, he writes Batman as a tragedy epic. This often makes Batman and others feel out of character at points, and events overblown. He also has a very specific style of writing dialog that's different from how any of the characters usually speak, which has led some to compare him to Bendis. I like it though.

>Batman's initials are BTW

This is my biggest complaint. His Batman feels very different to the usual characterisation. I think it's especially enhanced by the repetitive and fairly minimal dialogue gimmick, because it doesn't allow much room for character moments.

I never got any of the repetitive dialog stuff.
Seems like a meme complaint by damianfag or someone

I agree with you to a point, but are you sure you didn't read the one where Batman repeats the exact same phrase for the entire issue? I thought for sure he was going to end up being one of Ventriloquist's dummies or something but no, that was the real deal.

Isn't that part of that one issue though?
You make it seem like it's established and common like bendis speak

No it's not quite Bendis-tier but it's definitely a recurring thing. That issue was the most egregious, but it happens often enough. Like Catwoman "She took the night" sort of thing where a phrase is mentioned at least a couple of times.

King Batman's just not much of a talker, which in one way is a relief after Snyder, but when a fairly large part of what he does say is one liners and throwbacks then it gets pretty suffocating.

It's definitely there. King uses it more to emphasize points though, instead of Bendis's circular hipster speak.

I wonder if Batman will ever do small casework again. I hate how writers like Snyder, Tynion and King only seem capable of trying to make everything big like some kind of action blockbuster, because apparently events that are threatening either the entire city of Gotham or his friends and family are the only ones worth writing about these days...now we got another all out war for Gotham. Fucking great.

>Everything will change.
>Batman fights for the sake of all Gotham!
>Will Batman be able to protect his family from this big name supervillain?

So tired of this crap. I wanna see Batman track down a serial killer or something. Take on some vicious gangsters. Solve a fucking mystery, for christ's sake. Are we too good for that now?

I'm honestly baffled that in almost 80 years NOBODY has ever given Bruce Wayne a middle name.
Even though it's rarely used, we know that Superman's full name is Clark Joseph Kent.

okay but that's important to the story, it's not a nonsense piece of dialog like a catchphrase, it's plot and has multiple means

it's nickpicking at this point

Yeah, just like Iron Man is Anthony Howard Stark, after his father (or step-father now I guess).

Bruce Wayne keeps his identity secret because he doesn't want to lose the revenue that finances his entire operation.

Who's not-Cyborg?

Harley works best with Joker

Hopefully that ugly bitch won't be in the story at all

Duke I think.

Are there any other iconic heroes whose middle name has never been revealed?

I want to see you lose your shit so I hope he does :^)

Would being Batman be bad PR?

Who knows, but it would definetly get him in trouble with the cops, the courts, the feds and the IRS.

>the IRS
Does Bruce Wayne actually cheat on his taxes though? If anything, he's probably paying more taxes than he should since he's not writing off the Batman budget as a deduction.

Don't forget the stockholders of Wayne Enterprises who probably wouldn't appreciate their money being used on extreme cosplay.

It's often implied that Bruce funds his crimefighting from the company funds as opposed to his personal account. The IRS is not a big fan of that.

>>Tom has a 12 issue series coming out in July. No names yet but be on the watchout.
Fucking finally?! They've had him as an exclusive for almost a year and they only let him write Batman... and he's not doing an exceptional job either

I like this idea but he should've used someone else. Kiteman has been shown to be INSANSE AS FUCK so far and it's yet another example of Tom going "Y-you guys like this? O-okay then m-more of that!", just write your own shit and stop truing to bend over for the masses, you idiot.

>Deathstroke vs Deathshot
Stop it. Please. They are not on the same level.

>Stop it. Please. They are not on the same level.
That's probably gonna be the whole point.

No it's not. Or else they wouldn't mention it as a highlight. besides, they've already fought on equal footing in Villains United, and that was dumb.

>YOU TOOK MY SLOT IN INJUSTICE 2 YOU PIECE OF SHIT
>That's what you get when you're a movie star

Reminder this is Year One/Zero Year Kiteman.
Chances are, the events of the book will drive him to become the insane paragliding purloiner we've grown to love.

Gotham City Impostors 2 when?!

Hm, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. But adding a tragic side to a character you initially used for a gag and then when you saw people like that gag you repeated it one too many tines is... not the best idea imo.

Just because. Like much of TK's Batman so far.

This. Also some sleuthing without the bat-techs will be refreshing.

I am sick of seeing all of Gotham in flames as I am of Marvel's endless events. Nothing would make me happier than a Joker story that didn't involve a mountain of corpses.

Comics don't know how to make anything feel like it matters these days.

It's an editorial mandate that Batman should be the big action title, but we're probably going to have to wait for Tynion to leave to get lower stakes in Detective Comics.

>anything feel like it matters these days.
Blame status quo, continuity, fandom or all 3.

We already got the matchs revealed

Poison Ivy vs Mister Freeze
The Penguin vs Kiteman
The Ventriloquist vs Two-Face
Clayface vs Man-Bat
Killer Croc vs Solomon Grundy
Mad Hatter vs Scarecrow
Deadshot vs Deathstroke

Sold for Kite-Man

Came to post this.

are you sure that's Kiteman? looks more like Firebug

Agree.

Oh yeah, Firefly. I got confused because OP said that Kiteman will have a part on the story

hmm, no way this takes place right after zero year with all these villains. Also is that like a prototype Firefly costume next to Riddler?

Sad to see no catwoman

>Wow look at how high tech this tech is. I don't think even the people that made this could hack it
>20 seconds
>I'll only need 11 :^)