Art School Stories

Judging from the threads here it seems we have a lot of Sup Forums anons that went to school for cartoons or animation or just art in general. So how was/is your school? Did you learn a lot? Were your teachers good or bad? Do you have any stories about THAT guy that went to all your classes?

Back when I took a general arts course we had a legitimate autist that did Thomas the Tank paintings for all his assignments. I wish I could say he sperged out in class or anything but honestly he was just really quiet all the time and his paintings weren't half bad.

well good he didn't. that'd be embarrassing for everyone.

Teacher was incredibly biased against everything but he's specific style of drawing. American cartoons and comics were "consumerist trash". Japanese manga and anime was "all the same". Disney and Pixar were the devil, basically, that killed the animation industry in his own words. Videogame designs and animations "had no artistic merit whatsoever".

As you can imagine, he was a pretentious douchebag. However, the class decided to troll him, hard. We all drew sonic ocs for one assignment, causing him to go fuming outside the room. He started a beef with a guy for his drawings of anime OUTSIDE the class work, on his own project besides doing the assigned work as intended. He shows him different drawing and animation styles, Berserk, One Punch Man, Gurren Lagann, Jojo, One Piece, Junji Ito etc... to show different drawing styles and proportions, as well as overall tone. He mantains it's all the same.

Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home. The rest of us weebs try to hold laughter; The teacher didn't speak to him once since that day.

>Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home

The absolute mad man

Just out of curiosity, what was his preferred style of drawing?

It wasn't realistic, that'd be understandable but we had another drawing class with live models, there we should try to depict things in a classical style, and it made sense. This guy was in charge of animation and illustration, and he basically liked really blocky and geometrical, almost experimental animations, mostly from Canada.

>go to art school
>80% of the class is male
>90% of the girls are lesbians

>Boku no pico at home

I've never been THAT guy.

I'd be the girl who THAT guy would talk to nonstop until it made my ears bleed. And everyone else was spared the onslaught of the verbal ramblings of an autist and/or mad man just because I could actually understand what they were talking about and have the patience of steel (not to brag).

>Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home

Also this man is a true beast.

I should preface this by saying I didn't go to an "art" school, just a normal college that had an art program.

>So how was/is your school?
I enjoyed it. I liked the academic environment, living away from home and being on my own, being surrounded by peers who had similar interests, all the things that go with it.

>Did you learn a lot?
Honestly, no. The fatal flaw of the program was that it tried to teach too many different aspects, so you didn't really have time to delve into one particular field and really get good at it. A semester of learning After-Effects, two semesters of Maya, one for Photography, one for video, one for drawing... if you're in a four-year program, by the time you get the fundamentals and gen-ed stuff out of the way, you're halfway out the door.

I went in to study game design (and quickly lost interest) and by the time I got out I had barely a working knowledge of how to model/animate in Maya (most of which has now been forgotten). Granted I haven't put much more time outside of those classes to improve that, but I think that just further proves the point that the class really didn't do much to help. Same goes for other skills as well. I do digital illustration, and I've learned most of it (especially the digital part) just on my own with online resources and dicking around (it probably shows too).

>Were your teachers good or bad?
Mostly average. Some of them were really passionate about their work which reflected on their teaching, but one of them had a bad rep with my classmates because he had zero experience in the field. Another professor (who was teaching the same sort of class) worked at Bethesda studios (still does, I think) so naturally we all gravitated towards him more.

>Do you have any stories about THAT guy that went to all your classes?
We didn't have a "that guy", honestly. At least, I didn't.

Usually when that happens to me I just give one word responses or purposely stop answering certain questions to give them the hint that I'm busy with something and they go away.

Still, supreme autists don't get these clues so I have to actually get up and go somewhere else and pretend like I have to talk to someone else. I don't know what it is about art schools, but they attract these people like flies to honey.

that's ironic considering this was an art teacher. I've seen many English professors who would act like this, but never thought art teachers would pull this type of shit.

Oh wait, I remembered a "that guy" story. Only it was a woman, and one of our professors.

She was a hardcore feminist who showed us her "artwork", which involved large installations/sculptures about periods. One of them was something like a giant vagina-looking thing that leaked red sand or some shit like that. Rumor has it she had a bad run with her husband, divorced him and then became a lesbian. She would teach straight out of a textbook, had ludicrous requirements for how to keep your sketchbook and even what kind you were allowed to have. Her "lessons" consisted of showing us 30-minute videos each class, all from the same series, which just documents different artists and their work. Always boring as hell, and I remember I would sit in the back of the class with the desk ratcheted up so I could draw and dick around on my laptop to keep myself from falling asleep.

Basically if your project had anything to do with vaginas, it was a guaranteed A for that class, though I personally never took advantage of that (don't know why, now that I think about it)

That class was one of many that convinced me to transfer schools. I left that part out before - the wrong school can really fuck up your career as an art student.

I guess that's my lesson after all this. The curriculum is everything. If I could do it all over again, I'd look for one that really delves into a concentrated area, like 3-D modeling or high-level digital illustration for concept art. I don't even know how many schools get that specific, but they should.

Most art teachers outside of primary school are basically self-interested pricks who are burned cause they couldn't make a name for themselves, so a lot of them do petty shit like play favorites or are just all around assholes

We had a teacher that would google questions we asked him before giving us a response, and he was old so he couldn't google very well.

At which point you just have to think, why is he getting paid 90k a year when I can do his job better than him?

Oh I did that. A lot. Then I had to resort to headphones.
But it sorta felt rude to 'pawn them off' on someone else and/or to ignore them. It hurt my internal conscience jimmies.

My mother always said that it's just a good thing that they're doing something. It's probably a relief for the parents that their kids can actually go to a school (a low risk 'creative' environment that's not as stressful or complicated as perhaps a science major) and get a degree even if it might not help them very much in the long run.

I am not an art major but I am taking an art class for hours and have taken plenty of after school classes in the past so I'm not an expert on the subject obviously.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have majored in music.

Then I'm reminded of the common "art" ""teachers"" and how far up their own asses they are.

It's also important to remember that grades don't matter. Even if Vagina Woman would give you an A if you did art similar to hers, it doesn't matter. You should do work that you want to put on your reel or work you feel will improve you as an artist. Companies don't give a fuck about your grades.

But from what you're saying that teacher didn't even have the knowledge to help you with projects so it didn't matter anyway.

I went to SCAD, and while I have fond memories of the school, I hated Savannah itself for alot of reasons not suitable to bring up here. However the school itself is kinda dickish and they crammed the sequintial department off in the ass-end of the city in a rundown two-story building with enough parking for *maybe* 10 cars, whereas the other departments were in futuristic awesome buildings or classy *actual school building buildings*

Alot of the teachers there knew their shit. I only had really one 'asshole teacher' who was a fucking prick that kept saying he had no time for his students (in a fucking introductory class at that) off the clock; everybody else, even ole Bob Pendarivs was at least to some extent a positive learning experience.

I made a huge mistake however, and didn't practice enough daily. I wish I'd paid more attention in photoshop classes and also regret not making more connections; if I'm ever going to have a career, I still have a long ways to go.

>being an art major
that's the lowest of the low for humanities majors

at least with my masters in film I've gotten to make a couple of indie films and I teach a couple classes here and there at a uni

>We all drew sonic ocs for one assignment, causing him to go fuming outside the room.
>boku no pico
>Canada

Film is art, user. You're an art major too.

>Judging from the threads here it seems we have a lot of Sup Forums anons that went to school for cartoons or animation or just art in general.

What the fuck gave you that idea? Have you seen the drawthreads here?

i'm a graphic design major
i've been steadily working as a gd and illustrator since college, never once being unemployed

i'm also friends with several people who went to college for tv production and film production, and since those programs didn't have mandatory demo reels, (like graphic design had mandatory portfolios) none of those kids are doing anything with their degree

if you go to college to get a career you can do it with any art degree, if you go to college to be a fine artist (including film) you had better be good or your wasting your time

One of the stories I remember most from art school was this one guy. He was usually pretty quiet but something was always a bit off.

Well one day in the middle of class he just starts screaming. He starts yelling about how all women have betrayed him and they are liars and manipulated him. He sat next to 3 girls and they all started to try and comfort him and calm him down but he would not listen. He then jumped up and runs out of the class room, through the halls and rips the front doors of the film center off their hings (mind you this guy was a beanpole I have no idea how he did this).

A girl in class after this told us he had been stalking her for a while and she had turned him down because she was already in a long term relationship with another guy. She had to get a restraining order and everything. Her boyfriend and a lot of her friends started walking her to and from classes for a while.

I never saw the guy again after that day.

one time we had an old guy nude model

he clearly jerked off before hand so he wouldn't get a woody looking at all the young college girls

he didn't cleanup well enough because his dick started leaking that post cum jizz

a long, yellow string of cum, hanging from his dick

he didn't move, so half of the figure drawing session we're just looking at his dick snot, which is so much worse than just looking at an old man or and old man with a woody

Jesus.

(OP)#
Art school years were the best of my life.
>be a total sperg music/anime nerd with no experience in life
>people didn't gave a shit
>QTs ask me for music recommendations
>made great friends
>party every weekend
>went from virgin to having like 20 sexual partners in 2 years
>had a threesome in front of 6 people
>can be a nerd freely without judgement

What's your illustration job like? I just got hired as a graphic designer myself, but I really would like to be a children's book illustrator.

was he a good artist though

Never been to art school, and most likely never will because I don't have money like that. But did have some art classes in High School and whatever.
I keep asking this question, gotten many responses, but still keep wondering; why are artists, especially Art Teachers, always assholes in some way? Even a shit "artist" like me must have been an asshole in some way.

There's a big difference between doing something functional like graphic design and something like "art" or "illustration" that's useless half the time unless you've got connections or are just that great or lucky, though it's still damn competitive and honestly I think a graphic design degree is a bad idea for most people because most won't be able to find a job with it.

>The teacher didn't speak to him once since that day.

So either:
a) he actually took the time to look up boku no pico
b) He already knew what boku no pico was which he could only likely know if he watches some form of anime/manga

>Back when I took a general arts course we had a legitimate autist that did Thomas the Tank paintings for all his assignments. I wish I could say he sperged out in class or anything but honestly he was just really quiet all the time and his paintings weren't half bad.

I'm imagining some guy quietly but intensely producing these gorgeous, Old Master-style paintings of Thomas the Tank engine. If you visit his home he's turned the roof of his garage into a Sistine Chapel-like Thomas mural.

No not really

>We didn't have a "that guy", honestly. At least, I didn't.

You know what that means, right, user?

Christ I remember having to go to the sequential department at SCAD. I scheduled all my sequential classes at 8AM just so I could get a damn parking spot.

kek

I went to a place called Atlantic in puerto rico. Some of the teachers where annoyingly pretentious,and there definitely is alot of autism (which I was part of) but it's a pretty good university. I remember once the faculty managed to get a live skype interview with a famous animator that worked on the iron giant.

>So how was/is your school?
it was awful.
> Did you learn a lot?
I have suicidal ideation

I was SEQA major in grad school there. Holy fuck, I couldn't stand any of them. I hung with the animation kids more. A lot of them were more normal and into more of the stuff I liked too than the hipster shit in sequential department.

I only minored in SEQA. Wanted to double-major but didn't quite have the money. And from what I saw, most of the kids in the SEQA department were either just there to waste their parents' money, or colossal weebs with no desire to learn.

I bet there is at least one person from Sheridan here

Anyone from CalArts?

Anyone have experience with SVA? I might be enrolling in about a year if i hit the lottery

I study Video Game Art/Animation, and my classmate actually graduated from SCAD. She's in the same situation you're in, and because the state where I live has more game companies than film companies, she's trying to break in the game industry to have more job experience before getting her dream job in Film animation. I've heard that the career advisers at SCAD either make it or break it for you when it comes to helping you find a job after graduating. Unfortunately she was stuck with a bad adviser, and now she's back home while her other friends got jobs at Dreamworks TV.

>She was a hardcore feminist
>installations/sculptures about periods

I fucking knew it. The moment I read "hardcore feminist" I knew her "artwork" was about periods. Is always the same shit.

You want pretentious, go to Escuela de Artes Plasticas.

>I hated Savannah itself for alot of reasons not suitable to bring up here
Tell us, user

it's good some times and boring other times
the most fun i've had was with t-shirt design or album covers

i've done some children's book work, but i was in direct contact with the author, via a manager of sorts, so i can't give any advice really
although knowing how to watercolor well always helps

>teacher is old
>can't google for shit
Same with my teacher. I don't go to an art school, but I'm in my college's digital art program it's shit. Anyways, I'm taking Art History II and History of Modern Art with the same teacher. He's old as dirt on a donkey's ass and can't work a video projector worth shit. Why aren't ALL of the teachers taught how to use the tech in the school that they fucking teach in? And why is it always the old ones that struggle with it the most?

I finished my business degree last year and now i plan to go for some sort of art degree in the fall, Im having a hard time deciding what though. I thought about animation, but I just really like to draw and paint so i dont know maybe illustration or graphic design?

Went to SCAD, majored in sequential art and had a minor in animation. Realized halfway that I should've majored in animation, but it would've end up being too expensive to switch majors. I thought comics would be a great alternative to get my ideas out, but I learned that I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought, not to mention the industry kind of sucked. The students were pretentious too. I thought comics in the U.S. was as big as it was in Europe or in Japan (I lived overseas most of my childhood). BOY, was I wrong.
Also the career advisor sucked. All he did was tell me to use the school's website to find jobs. Meanwhile, I overheard the career advisor for animation on the other side of the room giving a student contact info to a Disney network.

Admittedly, I graduated from college a little bitter and resentful (though that mostly went away thanks to solving my college debt problems), but ended up learning a lot about art, myself, and rekindled my love of making Flash animations. I don't work in the industry (I learned I'm not really cut out for it), but I have friends that can help me get a pitch a show if I wanted to, and I was offered to be on TripTank and Smosh's animation channel. So opportunities are always present.

As for having a class with THAT guy: not only was SCAD full of them, but not a day goes by where I don't feel embarassed that I was likely THAT guy myself.

Yes, and his name is Technical Dave, he does a lot of videos on sheridan and you can obviously see from his videos he goes on the chans.

To those that went to school, how did you afford it? Im dirt poor and dont think i could mentally handle being in so much debt

Why arent you "cut out" for it?

Being a professional artist, like actually making a living off it, is a looooooot more effort than many folks actually think it is.

Please tell us stories of THAT guy.

I've been in numerous art classes and number of females almost always outnumber males 3 to 1.

>that one male model with a cock almost as wide as it was long with a massive prince albert
>used to make eye contact with the people drawing him
>asked to leave after trying to date one of the students (no feminism, he would legitimately badger girls after and before classes)

""""art"""" classes? Or classes that teach draftsmanship as a skill? The former is usually mostly women but the latter has always had an equal ratio for me.

I took a bunch of cartooning classes as a youngin with a man who animated for Disney back in the day. He encouraged me to try to go to SVA. My high school had a lot of 'senior work example' books from SVA that I used to pour over like it was religion.

>mfw the price

Parents basically said 'lol, no', couldn't get a scholarship and was terrified to go into that much debt.

>how is/was your school
It was actually pretty good aside the Arts Department shitting all over Illustration and Animation by throttling their classes offered while keeping Fine Arts under-demanded classes plentiful. If you were either concentration good luck taking the ONE class you need to graduate until the very last semester if you can manage it. They also went full retard on the scheduling to break up 6 hour classes into two-day 3 hour ones, which is fucking BAD for shit like Life Studies Painting.

>Did you learn a lot?
Well yeah, I didn't start drawing until a year or so before I charged into the concentration. The improvement was real, I cringe looking at my CC work. I also got to pitch a show idea to Nick, that was a crash course in learning experience.

>Were your teachers good or bad?
GOOD. My uni pressed for learning anatomy and studying motion as basics before getting stylized and some even worked or were still working in the industry if they were Animation/Illustration.

>THAT guy
Hahaha THAT guy showed up the semester I was graduating. I dodged a bullet. Feel bad for my friend who just got there though, he had to deal with that dude on his own.

>can't work a video projector worth shit.
To be fair, that might not be entirely his fault. I study IT and even my teachers sometimes have trouble with the projectors - it isn't that they don't know their shit, it's just that the video projectors tend to develop all kinds of problems.

Is there an age limit when enrolling to animation colleges?

I'm turning 30 soon.

This is true. Though, not all of them. but even then, they show subtle bias that you can notice or pick up.

I went to SVA.

YEP. SVA is notorious for it's insane pricing. One of the reason why I regret going there as not only did I not learn anything new there (i learn more self teaching), but found out most famous comic artist didn't even go to art school. IMO, Art schools in general are ripoff. Coming from an artist myself.

me too ...me too
but i'll try it anyway

Wait, are you from Kuberts? Because that guy never said a word to anybody while I was there, everybody loved him because he was ripped and could hold a pose forever.

Lol, I thought about going there, but the pricing for it is literally a million dollars for the full years.

yeah i from the EU and being brought up with free universities it was a shock to see the prices.
The most expensive univ. here is around 319$ per semester.

Could you elaborate my hispanic friend?

Either I keep seeing the same people 'round Sup Forums, or we have a decent SVA population lurking about.

I guess I have a 'that guy' story. More like a niblet than a story. He'd write super serious reviews and descriptions of Smash Bros on his Facebook, had a turbo nasal voice, creeped on the girls in the animation department (all girls) and generally put little to no effort into his work.

Anyway, at one point someone got the IP of our dorm building banned from Sup Forums, and he made a big ol' stink about it on Facebook for the next few days until he could go back on The End

Like what? Storyboarding or making a name for yourself in general?

Both

There's a bald Russian dude in his 50s studying animation in my school. If he got in, I don't think you'll have a problem.

I was in the same boat. Majored in SEQA, regretted it halfway through, career advisors did nothing but say look at our site (Can't believe they get paid to practically do nothing), yet a lot of people I knew, especially some who I helped when they came to me for advise, now never get back to me while they're living it up at Disney TV or Dreamworks TV. At least I'm not in debt, too.

And yeah, the student body in that dept is the worse.

>try to network, sell at conventions, post my work online
>gain a small following, meet a handful of new people
>been doing this for two years and nothing has changed
>looking into SVA
>200k
How the fuck do so many people in the industry not have degrees? How do you meet the right people? How do you break 100 followers on twitter?

Howd you get rid of debt?

Dad sold all the stock he got from his company and made bank. Super generous to pay of the remainder of all I had left with a portion of what he made. Damn, I love my dad!

If you can't break 100 followers in a month or two, you're either doing something wrong, or you may need to make an honest reassessment of your skill level.

I've had two art teachers now that have totally killed my motivation to practice art.
The first one was in 8th grade. The second one was a life drawing teacher from a course last year.

>East Coast, can't afford a good art school
>go to some bum ass state school and get a BFA in fine art and graphic design
>make no good connections, so I go 4 years without getting a job I went to school for
>finally get contract and freelance work for 3 years, making about $40-50k
>make $64k salaray now at some branding company making PowerPoints less ugly and SOMETIMES getting to illustrate or animate, but I work from home and get to do personal work when I finish early

Part of me wants to try getting into a better school and making connections, but I'll be 29 in a few days and feel like it's too late. Plus, I dunno if I'd even have a decent portfolio.

Tell him that offline

Thing is i do more than ok on instagram. Twitter is the only one im lacking in. For some reason i just cant gain traction.

I went to school in RI. Literally every art teacher is someone who wanted to go to RISD and couldn't get in or went and think they're fucking creating the new velvet underground.

Being pretentious is the default for many art school people. Not art-tech, art school. They think fine art is art and things you could learn at ITT are jokes. Can't say I disagree 100 percent with them but you shouldn't be an art teacher if you can't look at someone with stick figures and see whether the stick figure is better or worse than it was yesterday.

I took a gen ed art class at my school and the teacher was a RISD grad. His girlfriend currently enrolled there would fill in for him sometimes. Both were EXTREMELY insufferable and basically held the notion that anything recognizable as a form was trash. People? Trash. Animals? Trash. Only liked abstract shit.

Well, since you asked, it was largely weather/environment related. Too hot, too humid, and there were usually 2-3 giant flashfloods every fuck year and power-outages were relatively common. Shittiest comcast service in the history of shitty comcast service and I had a terrible upstairs neighbor who was regularly having drunken sex in an old creaky house during the weekends and was unapologetic to the point where she painted me as a terrible person for hitting the ceiling with a broom to get them to cut that shit out. The Landlord was also a passive asshole at times.

i don't see the point of going to art school.
no offense, but why go to art school and be shitted by your art teacher, when you can get the same result here or on Sup Forums

back in college I used to draw and paint all the time, but my experience with fellow painters and how fucking obnoxious they sometimes were, probably was a reason I didn't follow for a masters. I'm not saying all artists were bad, just the set I met was enough.

Animation department. But the story isn't about the classes or classmates since animators tend to be antisocial and shy in the class.

I held a comic book club every wednesday after school, which was about both reading and drawing and talking shit while doing it, quite a lot of the quiet ones also attended. Troubles began on the third year when new first year students had a couple of Tumblrettes who joined our club. In my country SJWs are a rarity but there we had two genuine specimens, they looked like the Smugglypuff on that video where that conservative chick gets assaulted by a trannie.

Not three weeks after, one of my classmates told a clumsy joke about sex in the club, a very quiet and antisocial guy (but then most animators are quiet and shy), both the Tumblr-spawns were severely offended and demanded his head for this vile microaggression. As the head of the club I put a stop to that shit immediatly and told them that if they want to hang out in the club and communicate like human beings, they should grow a thicker skin and accept people sometimes say stupid shit. They didn't come back next Wednesday. A month after I realised I became somewhat of a pariah for the first year students, as I asked the Tumblrettes in the food-serving line how their project was doing and they threw a temper tantrum accusing me of various kinds of stupid shit.

When I graduated, took a last visit to the classroom to thank the teacher and ask for phone numbers of classmates in case we could have an animated project in the future. Noticed both the Tumblristas busy sitting on facebook and Tumblr furiously F5:ing their blogs. From that moment on I was sure they were going to drop out in the 2nd year, our teacher had low tolerance for tardiness and 2nd year had a 5 month lasting huge project that usually made the majority of students quit the field.

That's why I'm surprised that others in this thread were taken aback by the pretentiousness of art teachers.

Almost every single "artist" I've ever met is an asshole. No redeeming quailities. Even if they're the "that's great, so great, everything is great." type person. They just say everything is great and expect you to tell them their the best. Most people don't want others to succeed. Especially in art because they think they deserve to succeed. And nobody does.

This shit is going to get worse. They probably complained about that months long project and either got extensions or were granted a different project. It's not about being proficient. It's about them passing cause girls can too.

"Boys clubs" not only should but MUST be infiltrated and made more diverse. Because diversity makes things better. Because conversations should be policed.

Wouldn't want little Susan to think she can't take STEM classes because it's for the boys.

they were malicious too. We had a magazine that would come out that they monopolized and when I made the cover, I could tell they didn't like it. I hope their paint thinner dripping drawings are successful one day.

The few artists that ive met and stayed in touch with arent like that at all. Kinda why we still talk.

>This shit is going to get worse. They probably complained about that months long project and either got extensions or were granted a different project.

Probably not. In my country majority of art students are girls these days. The decline of men in the art schools began as early as late 90's. Majority of the animation class was decent people, if a bit on the quiet side. I was probably the loudest person in our class, which is probably why I got to lead that 5 month project when it came up for us.

Depends on where you live. I know some European art schools have an age limit, but I don't think there's such a thing for American schools.

Private academies probably don't, since you pay for them.

Heres a way to learn animation without going to school:

Buy the Animator's survival kit-book and Disney's Illusion of Life. For additional help in storytelling techniques that can also be utilized in animation, consider getting Scott McClouds Making Comics.

Before you even consider animating, you have to be a passable artist at first, buy Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis, draw both from life while memorizing how things like the human skeleton, lighting and colors work. Lastly, most importantly:

DRAW SOMETHING EVERY SINGLE DAY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF ITS STUPID SCRIBBLES OR SOMETHING SERIOUS, HAVE A PENCIL IN YOUR HAND EVERYDAY. The sooner you begin, sooner you achieve the magical "10 000 drawings" where you start noticing you're becoming good at it.

If you are tight on money, most of the books I recommended should have torrent PDFs, I know Loomis' Successful Drawing can be found as a free (and legal) PDF with a google search.

Hope that helps, don't waste your money, you spend 95% of the time in art schools doing self-study anyway, the only thing art schools provide is different tools, working environment and critique sessions. Actual learning still happens the same way.

Not the user yours replying to, but the hard part for me is networking. Its hard to find artists around here that arent hit tier anime artists. Thats the main reason id ever go to school.

I majored in fine arts in college, went in hoping to get techical training, stuff like figure drawing, help with perspective, using different mediums. Basically wanted to hone my traditional media skills since i wasnt really good at painting or using stuff like charcoal or pastels. Figured i could translate those skills into my personal work, like for comics.

classes were pretty bogus. There wasnt any technical training, and it was more about " finding your voice" and the professors kept talking about art as a tool to spread messages and how artists were supposed to speak for something. I didnt see it at the time but it was pure indoctrination and propaganda.

My watercolor teachers were great though ,they actually taught techniques, i learned a lot from those two.

Didnt even get in good with any of the girls because i was a total idiot around them

Thats a pretty expensive way to network.

Whats the alternative? Get lucky and make a meme by accident like kc green and beartato guy?