The Young Pope

is there a television show on the same level as this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yFMDVH4lqSU
youtube.com/watch?v=DGkyDSM-JFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have yet to find one.

The Leftovers covers Christian themes, and it's far better at doing it.

26 episodes of evangelion

The Leftovers is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to The Young Pope. TYP has gravitas

maybe the only correct answer

Can Young Pope really compare?

Is eva really on the level of young pope?

Twin Peaks
Carnivale
In Treatment

>he says this unironically

TYP has almost nothing that sticks out or evokes an emotional response. The closest thing is perhaps when Lenny is praying in the street, or the Weight of God.

>That Africa speech scene
Pleb. The Young Pope is Kino.

Two Mountaintops.

The Leftovers is genre fiction garbage. The Young Pope is not just any character study but a character study of a holy man, which wasn't an easy task yet Sorrentino nailed it. They don't even compete in the same league.

To compare The Leftovers with The Young Pope is like to compare The Leftovers (the novel) with an actual piece of literature.

>Carnivale

Muh nig

season 2

LMAO. Literature is shit and The Leftovers (the show) is far better than any book you can name.

>but a character study of a holy man

It's more than that tbqh. Pretty much the entire cast is subject to character study in a really fucking real and refreshing way.

>the cold, plotting figure behind the scenes is slowly humanized and grows as a person until he feels love
>le tips fedora politican slowly comes to value the Pope's advice
>the mentor character is jaded as fuck towards his protege, but slowly realizes that he's responsible for regaining his faith

There's countless others, but the entire cast feels ridiculously human.

Seriously how the fuck do people here like this show so much?

Had me welling up, even as someone who wanted to be a soldier

There're a lot of catholics in Sup Forums.

>tfw whenever Lenny kneels in genuine prayer, shit starts getting real.

Him kneeling at the gas station was fucking kino

That flashback of him praying as a child is one of my favourite shots ever.

>missing the point of the show

>religious fags on Sup Forums
Weird. Why?

What's the point of the show?

frontier is better tbqh

This. All this cathocucks who think the show portrays their shitty religion under a positive light when in reality is mocking them makes me laugh so much. There's no God.

>inhales*

Catholics are never portrayed in a positive light. We don't give a fuck what you think.

>What's the point of the show?

It's about finding faith user, whether religious or otherwise.

>nothing that evokes an emotional response

Sorry my dude, I got nothing out of it.

Christopher Eccelston did far better at portraying the issues of piety than anything from The Young Pope.

pathetic

What? I'm not even saying it's a bad show. I'm just simply asking why everyone here seems to love it so much. I thought it was very average

Are you american? I think both shows portray piety from a very different perspective. In The Leftovers, being made in a protestant country, morality can be reduced to "just be good, man", while in The Young Pope it's more complex than that, this being even explicitly talked in the show when sister Mary clarify to Voiello that when she refers to Lenny as a saint she doesn't mean as in a very good man but as in someone who posseses sainthood. If you don't get what she meant by this you won't get the show.

riverdale

>average
What kind of tv are you watching? Even if you didn't like it you have to admit this was a one of a kind show

couldn't have said it better myself

*walks towards you*

Hell no. All the good parts of Eva are worth nothing after the hours of weeb tropes you have to trod through to get to them. The movie might be better but I'm not counting on it after what everyone said the series was and what it was actually

I'm saying this to you as a friend. You wasted your time watching the show if you skip the movie. Go watch it

Movie is great and other than watching that episode where Shinji and Asuka kiss, so you understand why Shinji subconsciously relates kissing with asphyxia, you don't even need to watch the show to enjoy it in spite of what the weebs will tell you. Everything that is great about it it's pretty self-evident and it's heavy with exposition to the point they pretty much directly explain everything the viewer needs to know to understand it.

>What's the point of the show?
Literally that there's no God.

Did you watch the fucking show? Please explain how that is the point

>twin peaks

Is this user for real? I might have to watch it now

Berlin Alexanderplatz

Patrician taste at its best.

what is this show

It was a shot from one of The Leftovers' third season trailers. It obviously didn't make the cut. I have no idea where it was supposed to fit in though.

are you sure it isnt fargo?

96% of the shows ever filmed.

Literally this. Cathocucks are trying so hard to shill this pseudokino garbage.

How do you go from this youtube.com/watch?v=yFMDVH4lqSU
to this youtube.com/watch?v=DGkyDSM-JFc

It has nothing and yet even you can name two examples off the top of your head. HOLY FUCK YOU BLEW YOURSELF THE FUCK OUT

He's a man who can do both.

Don’t fall for this. Twin Peaks is a trap show. You will not enjoy it.

Yeah, remember that.

Agreed. Everything about this season was great

>In Treatment

watched 3 episodes. This is shit. Is there even one about a nihilistic loser manchild who jerks off to anime on his parent's dime?

TYP is too smart for the typical American audience. Our population doesn’t know enough about it’s own dominant religion to appreciate the themes in TYP. I’m serious, I watched it and couldn’t help thinking that nobody in the US could possibly understand what’s going on.

>Why are the billions people raised in some religious tradition on a well known Taiwanese knitting forum?
Its about mostly youth hence the title
The theme of growing up and taking on the role as the spiritual father to millions while personally dealing with the absence of every parental figure he could turn too
>God is being God and therefore maybe there are not there but never directly talking in a completely satisfying way
>His parents abandoned him literally causing him to hate everything they believed while missing them
>His mother figure refuses to be that anymore because he most move past all that
So he approaches everything from various stages of youth and feelings of absence with lots of Catholic elements and mystery in between

The way he prays is really cool in general
One of the few shows to actually capture the aspect in an appropriate way

No its mind control, it uses over the top hyper-traumatic psycho-sexual imagery and ridiculously emotive vocals to charge you up and drain you. Its the most blatantly manipulative thing i’ve seen outside of cape shit and newer blockbuster films. You people are dumb, anime is toxic to the soul it should not be watched extensively and you should always disengage from the characters emotionally. Japs are a really twisted race

You have a very odd idea of the Leftovers relationship to morality and Protestants relation to it
Protestantism actually cares even less about being a "good man" for morality and salvation
There are no such things as good works being worth anything in any faith that has Sola Fide
It means only faith can save you
Many take it so far that faith isnt even something humans choose and a gift from God alone so that why many are pre determined to go to hell
Any good works are a form of theological cheating that happens in faiths, trying to get around the fact only one thing will save from eternal fire and its not you
And the Leftovers does not really have a moral outlook, its way too existentialist for that. None are really good people or fully moral at all because of the departure took that away in many ways

>Its dominant religion
You mean protestantism? Its not surprising that the nation founded in part by the people who despised any connection to Catholicism so much they left the entire continent and other Protestant faiths cares little and knows little about it
Even then its not hard to get whats going on. The shows impacts is on the spirit of the watcher, not what the plot is. Its what surrounds the events of the plot that is important, and people who dont like it dont pick up on any of it

>creators of tropes
>nu-males get mad that they are tired of all these tropes eva created seen else where

No I mean Christianity in general. The little things that separate the different denominations aren’t tackled as far as I remember.

Pretty much this. The Young Pope, True Detective Season 1 and Band of Brothers are all up there.

I want to make a cinegrid but I'd have to make one for every episode and I'm too lazy to do that.

YOU MUST

YOU MUST

YOU MUST

Chinese cartoons better than TYP lol nice bait

that would be dry as fuck. Though the scene with the patriarch was a huge letdown beause I thought it ws going to do just that.

Wow dude have you by chance graduated from the decent grade?

Which proves catholicism is retarded and knowing about catholicism on an intimate level is embarrassing, but hey, at least u got some shots of a retard, that was real heady shit

This. Scenes From A Marriage also counts. True Detective Season 1 is wholly directed by Cary Fukunaga

And i forgot Kieslowski's Masterpiece The Decalogue. Recommended watching it back to back with The Young Pope.

Get the hell out with this homossexual religious shit show of here

Smelly dumb "I just got into anime" newscum