Japtv

Give me suggestions for good Jap tv series/movies to watch. No anime please, all live action.

Have you tried Kurosawa m8

yeah, I was thinking of something newer though

Have you tried Kurosawa then?

yes

And? Not good enough?

I was hoping for something more. Kurosawa can't be the only thing Japs have to offer.

Lone Cub & Wolf aka Shoguns Assassin

Hanzo the Razor

Just to be clear, I meant Kiyoshi Kurosawa, not Akira.

oh, ok, I'll check him out

takeshi's castle is the absolute peak of game shows and his movies aren't half bad either

this

Takeshi has also done some decent movies.

Shilling for this again.
All about Lily Chou Chou

Stand up!

Watch Waterboys, it's kino

Do you know the modern cult classics Versus and especially Battle Royale? Also Ringu.

seen that one. It was pretty funny

Look up the Kerberos saga, even though there is at least one anime in it.

Gaki no Tsukai

The hero yoshihiko and the demon king's castle

i almost never see anyone in these threads mention this, movies fucking great.

Godzilla and it's thousands of sequels
and super sentai or tokusatsu in general if you want tv shows.

KINO

If youre into Jap comedy or gameshows, Gaki No Tsukai does an annual 24 hour punishment game that should be happening come New Years.

Watch 13 Assassins, op.

And Sweet Home, which was turned into a videogame, which served as basis for Resident Evil.

Dark Water
The Grudge
Ring

The americans remake everything good from Japan.

If you dont mind family dramas I'd recommend checking out Hirokazu Kore-Eda's filmography. I find his movies to be pretty relaxing.

you have to watch the rurouni kenshin trilogy

This. Still Walking is comfy as fuck

The annual batsu game is unironically the worst thing downtown put out these days. I'd rather watch trash like Hamada presenting プレバト.

It's pretty sad that the western audience only knows about such a tiny proportion of Japanese comedy. 水曜日のダウンタウン is fucking hilarious, although some of the bits are pretty difficult for foreigners to get into without a few years of Japanese pop culture knowledge under their belts.

Sure they do

Finally, a really solid rec, listen to this guy op

2046 and Vengeance is Mine

Downtown are who got me into Japanese comedy in the first place, so I'm biased towards them. The Batsu game is an event for me, I don't care that you don't like it anymore. I want to see naked 50 year oldJapanese men get their asses set on fire, damnit!

Shin Godzilla is great so watch that

I'll still be watching it because at least it beats the Kohaku snorefest, but it's been crap for years, lad. There's nothing wrong with Downtown themselves, it's just the weakest thing they're attached to comedy wise.

Watching Kasuga try and hide in a river dressed like a ninja to surprise an aging wrestler, then seeing him get actually pissed about it is comedy gold. You'll never see anything that good from the utterly safe batsu staff.

Shinya Tsukamoto is the GOAT, watch Bullet Ballet or Tokyo Fist first then move on to Kotoko and A Snake of June

>some snob idiot acting superior over Japanese comedy and trashing on taking
Wow, I never thought I'd see this day.

Sasuke Ninja Warrior

>braindead weeb upset about being laughed at for having no actual insight into a topic
Come back when you're capable of consuming more than a tenth of a percent of the available comedy yearly, kid.

Wow, big guy knows his Japanese game shows.

Kisarazu Cat's Eye was pretty fantastic