X-men Apocalypse

I finally got around to watching this on hbo and it's not even half as bad as everyone said.

My only semi-beef was apocalypse not being very intimidating (though I did enjoy the final fight and how much it took to defeat him)

What were the biggest issues at release?

>shitty Magneto arc
>literal waste of Quicksilver subplot
>Apocolypse was gay

Too little time spent on new characters and their subplots

JLaw phoning it in like never before

Constant slobbering over how great Mystique is

Magneto/Xavier interactions retread

CGI action nothing special

Yeah they should have just had qs say he was his son, that was silly.

I liked all the Magneto scenes otherwise.

>Constant slobbering over how great Mystique is

True, but it made sense in the plot., it wasn't out of nowhere.

>CGI action nothing special

I liked the first Nightcrawler vs. Angel fight and the Apocalypse mind/real world fight. QS's scene too, but it obviously didn't have the same impact as the one in DOFP

My only issue was too much focus on Mystique, but otherwise yeah I had a pretty pleasant experience watching this movie. I would have loved to get more Quicksilver action, but he's a budget breaker I understand. Still think their depiction of how speed works for him has been the best of super hero movies.

Also, I loved that end quote by the Professor.
>I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul that comes to my school looking for trouble.

Mystique is a full blown Mary Sue.
Besides that the movie was aight.

First Class > Apocalypse = DoFP

McAvoy was great as usual.

It had too many characters with too many of their own stories/development to actually give anyone the attention they deserve. So even though the stakes are supposedly really high, what with this mutant threatening to destroy the world, the audience doesn't really care because haven't had the chance to become attached to the characters who are at risk.

That said, with the amount of stuff they tried to cram in the movie, it still ended up totally decent, and that's an impressive feat. They obviously had to cut a lot from the movie during editing, but it never became a mess.

I wouldn't say full-blown

She's basically the main character and probably doesn't get her negative traits highlighted enough. She's not exactly well-written but probably not a full-blown mary sue

Movie is a complete mess.

The script is stitched together from a few random, unrelated ideas, plots and set-pieces and doesn't come together at all.

The tone is caught between being super serious and trying to stay grounded, but also full comic book camp with the fanservice at other times.
It's completely schizophrenic and it shows that nobody had a clear idea anymore what they were trying to do here.

I'm hoping New Mutants won't have similar problems.

we got movie apocalypse instead of shit stomping AoA apocalypse. he deserves to be seen as a threat, but he never is

Such an overused term anyway. People have forgotten what "Mary Sue" really means. Nowadays it means "main character I don't like so he/she is CLEARLY a Mary Sue."

I honestly think there ARE no real Mary Sues anymore.

This, really. I hope JLaw never sets foot on an X-men set again, and there's only so many interactions Magneto/Prof X can have before it gets old

It's the most comic-booky X-Men, so I'm really grateful for that

This Psylocke seemed more like a threat than Apocalypse and the 2 biggest shows of power were Havok blowing himself and the mansion up by being stupid and Magneto grabbing metal from all over the fucking planet which made him seem a million times more threatening than Apocalpse

>its the most comic booky

it really isnt, I hate this idea of comic booky being campy, most of Claremont X-Men did not have the level of cheese in X-Men Apac

It was all worth it for that scene of Apocalypse straight up looking into the camera and saying "thank you for letting me in" that was pretty neat.
Also Cyclops.

>nothing fucking happens the entire movie
>olivia munn can't act
>no fucking fights in the entire movie
>Magneto follows Apocalypse for no fucking reason
>let's do the quicksilver scene again, guys!
>mystique mystique mystique, who still has no motivation or character
The Magneto bits at the beginning were cool though.

In that it's decompressed shit, yes.

I liked that time Magneto yelled at the sky. Felt like the kind of melodrama Claremont used to write.
Rest of the movie was shit though.

The film has a 15 minute detour to put Wolverine in t film.

There was NO REASON for the military to kidnap characters and then Wolverine breaks out. It just derailed the plot.

There were too many plot points and characters all stitched together for it to be good.

My biggest gripes were...the fact it focused so much on Mystique whose delivery was always SO flat and generic...Apocalypse's chosen four other than Magneto felt extremely underwhelming and aside from Angel, who was arguably the worst among them, had like 10s of screentime anyway. Apocalypse himself really didn't impress either...

and ultimately nothing happens in the end. Apocalypse comes and goes, everything returns to the status quo. I mean fuck, it doesn't even internally make sense, Magneto realizes Charles is his friend/family, all he has left, saves the world for him and Raven -- but he can't stick around because his character is brooding and distant and needs to setup the next fucking sequel. I couldn't get over the fact that despite being Quicksilver's father Fassbender looks younger than him, they were really lazy about the internal logic of the universe and overall everything felt super forced by an indifferent creative power.

>build up these 4 horsemen of the apocalypse for the entire duration of the film
>they are defeated in a CGI laser kamehamaha styled lazer battle, which btw, is also how they get rid of Apocalypse
you could feel the budget constraints

imho senpai
>pros
erik angsting the fuck out in the forest
>"you can shoot your arrows from the tower of babel, but you can never strike GOD" line
>while i'm at it "wreak havok" was so cheesy it looped back around and was amazing
>my mugga kurt is back

>cons
that arrow lining up perfectly and piercing BOTH their hearts at once
>apoc can learn from airwaves?? (apparently this is bc they couldn't mention celestial tech)
>jlaw, just get another actress, mystique is a SHAPESHIFTER for gods sake it won't bother anyone
>magneto gets no repercussions for recreating the holocaust ten times over

Those 15mins where better than the rest of the whole movie

>My only semi-beef was apocalypse not being very intimidating

The whole "We don't kill our own kind" really neuters villains in the x-men franchise. Shaw, Magneto, Apocalypse, they all hold back, except for these accidental deaths. Apocalypse should have boldly and purposefully killed Havoc and blown the mansion himself. A little fight in that hallway is something the movie sorely needed. The fight could have ended when apocalypse just said "fuck this, lets leave" and nuked it.

>True, but it made sense in the plot., it wasn't out of nowhere.

The problem was JLaw didn't a terrible job of selling her character, it also made no sense why she would be hiding herself being a mutant when her whole arc in First Class was being proud of who she is.

this is why movie format is wrong for x-men. needs to be a big budget tv series with actual continuity like game of thrones or whatever so the audience can get to know all the characters over time and maybe give a shit about what happens to them when the stakes raise.

>"well Eric you leveled multiple cities and killed millions of people all over the world, but you were sad about your daughter and helped fix my house so we'll just call it even. Farewell old friend!"

>Also, I loved that end quote by the Professor.
It's literally just a repeat of the quote from the first X-Men movie.

How old are Charles and Magneto suppose to be in this film? 45? 50?

Never seen the movie, does Apocalypse do any morphing into mechanical stuff or is it all just giant hands?

It was on the same level as all the other Bryan Singer films, much as people like to pretend otherwise.

First Class is the only really good mainline entry.

Mystique barely appears in the movie she doesnt even have a single action scene.

I hate her, I hate hiw everyone licked her ass but to say she was relevant in the movie is simply lying.

Regarding the movie is an average MCU movie. Its a mcu movie without the disney free pass. Never understood why it was vilified. It was cartoony, campy, had a ton of humor, plot was resolved by who punches harder, etc. Literally a marvel movie. Im glad it didnt work btw.

On the other side I really enjoyed Apocalypse and his speech was terrifying. Best villain speech of the year. He was also durable and powerful as fuck. Too bad making someone so powerful creates tons of questions like why didnt he turn everyone into sand and such.

7/10 campkino

>AoA
Isnt that the one who is defeated by a regular non powered up magneto? I think tacolypse did much better here. He tanked Ultimatum Magneto and Xavier mindrape mode at the same time.

That's a major problem with this movie, yes.

I wish they made a Cyclops-centered movie

Magneto was the best part of this.
They just didn't do anything with him.

Clearly Fox just needs to make a Magneto movie.

yikes
I wonder if there are people that believe this.

Apocalypse never felt like that much of a threat.
Yeah, he was powerful but compare him to future Sentinels from Days of Future Past. He never has that very same sense of invincibility despite the fact that he's supposed to be a godlike figure.

From my watch:

>Cringey "Katni- I mean Mystique is the chosen Mutant who the world looks up to" subplot
>Sophie Turner does an awful job
>Cyclop's actor too
>Dialogue overall is awful
>OH SHIT APOCALYPSE TOOK OVER CEREBRO AND KIDNAPPED XAVIER- lol Quicksilver sequence so funny- OH GOD HAVOK IS DEAD MY BROTHER NOOOO
>Magneto plot dull and predictable "Of course the family's going to die (and how contrived was it?)" "Of course he'll join the bad guy afterward" "Of course he'll have a change of heart and be all "They were my REAL family all along!""
>Detour to Stryker's base really did nothing for the story except Wolverine cameo

I might remember a few others later.

His powerset is completely different from the comics
In the movie he has, among others, matter transmutation, teleportation field, mutant power enhancement, technopathy, command speech, telepathy, telekinesis, super-strength, healing factor, mind-reading, uh... basically he's Cartman's ninja character.

The only part of the movie that got me hyped was the last 5 seconds when you see all the new x-men suited up in their classic costumes in the Danger Room. Then I was like, "Man, I wash the movie had just started here."

They deliberately left out the Celestials which are a huge power boost for Apocalypse.

Their costumes looked like shit though. Not that the black armor they were wearing earlier wasn't shit also but still.

Due to copyright issues, right?

>What were the biggest issues at release?

Not being as good as DOFP, basically.

No, they just don't do cosmic shit in the movies outside of Jean

My biggest issue was that it spent 2 hours telling the story of how Charles became bald.

That sounds lame. Just make Apocalypse stand out by focusing on the armor+tech stuff. Worked for Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny Avengers, etc.

>Mutants first appeared in the 1800-1900s
>Except for the ORIGINAL MUTANT who arose 10,000 years ago!
>... and his FOUR HORSEMEN!
>... and enough mutants to keep transferring himself into and steal powers from for dozens or hundreds of lifetimes

Where did I get the idea that Apocalypse's whole claim to fame was him being the first and only mutant until the 1800s or so? It seems like there's been a fairly healthy amount of mutants around for thousands of years and somehow staying secret.

>Storms summons lightning
>Cyclops shoots lazer beamz
>They clash and have one of those "Colliding Beams" moments

I'm no electrologist or lazerologist but I don't think that's how they work.

No shit.
Let it go, it's all just visual candy to move the story along.
The opposing characters have to be equally matched in that scene or the extended combat sequence is decisively resolved in seconds.

I was more pissed that Nightcrawler can ask for a pause in the optic blasting, see it done, and teleport ... all before lightning can strike.

>My only semi-beef was
The mass nuclear launch scene was only trailer bait instead of some cool dramatic moment.

I get the rock telekenisis, and the technopathy, the power boosting, and the mind transference...
(they needed those for the story they had planned)
...but why the hell omit the signature power of the original concept: shapeshifting?

>AT LEAST WE ALL AGREE THAT THE THIRD MOVIE IS THE WORST

It had the aesthetic of steaming hot garbage

>not as bad as everyone says

>not being into the derelicte aesthetic

The whole Phoenix thing felt a bit tacked on.
Then again, it felt like they were running through the motions with all the kid characters.
It would have been nice if there was more character development instead of so much character rehashing.

First Class was pretty much conceived as a Magneto movie but Origins' failure encouraged Fox to rework it

Originally "X-Men Origins" was going to be a whole bunch of movies, but Wolverine was terrible, so they scrapped it all. First Class was originally going to be a Magneto Nazi-hunting movie.

The unsung hero of the entire X-Men franchise is Magneto.

"Magneto was right" is 100% true.

He was the one who declared that mutants should come out of hiding, use their powers and abilities openly, and form a society of their own where they can find acceptance.
He was the one who declared there was no crime in a mutant using their powers to defend themselves and others against persecution.
He was the one who set out to create a mutant homeland for his people to live in peace.
All Xavier ever did was hold mutants back. Sometimes with psychic brainwashing.

It gave them a plane that allowed them to then fly to Egypt.

It also expanded upon the limitations of superpowers around strong electrical fields,
depicted the Weapon-X-ification of Logan in this new timeline,
showed the new kids value as a superhero team,
and allowed the worthless blue wolfman to show off his pilot skills, because let's face it: he doesn't have much else.

>forgetting all those times Magneto insisted the non-mutants should be wiped out to make way for superior mutants
Oh yeah, Magneto was never wrong, user.

That didn't happen until Morrison's run, and that horrible tantrum of character assassination was the one and only time EVER when that happened.
And even then it wasn't actually Magneto saying it in three different retcons.
Including Morrison's own.

I like how no one went to jail for their part in killing lots of people

I forgot this movie existed.

Hmmm this doesn't seem correct but I can't really go back and read every magneto appearance to disprove you.

Xavier's still super-rich, user.

Well yeah.
You've got a universe of dangerous and hostile beings out there, if we replaced Marvel earth's mixed powered/non-powered population with the same size of powered population, then they'd be much safer. And arguably develop stronger powers sooner due to having a lot more 'chances' with more births.
Not saying it's an ethical route to take, however.

Why can't we have an X-Men movie without Jean Grey?
Worst character by far.

I always say my position on whether Magneto was right or wrong would depend entirely upon whether I was a mutant.

I would shamelessly 180 from "Mutants are dangerous and must be controlled" to "Mutant Pride!" the moment I started sprouting antlers or whatever lame power I snag from the genetic lottery.

>Why can't we have an X-Men movie without Jean Grey?

First Class, DoFP, and all 3 Wolverines, right?