Why does Sam Raimi hate our boy Eddie so much? He had more personality than Sandman ever did in the comics

Why does Sam Raimi hate our boy Eddie so much? He had more personality than Sandman ever did in the comics.

Same reason lots of comic buffs hated Venom, he was created in the 80s and very much represented the modern times rather than the good old days

Nerds have been the same forever, new is always bad

Ya ever notice that Spiderman fucks up his villains personal lives more than the average superhero?

Raimi only read Spider-Man in the 60s so it's a case of "not muh"

My dad hates venom and carnage because he saw it as a shift over to everything wrong with the 90s in comics.

Maybe that's why his spidey flicks never did it for me. Most of the kino spiderman stuff was happening in the 80s and early 90s.

Take this gem for example. Which handled Harry's fall to Green Goblin better than Raimi could have possibly done.

Dude should just stick to schlocky horror. At least he can handle that well.

Raimi's roots are in goofy cornball comedy, he kind of fluked himself into the horror thing anyway

Here's the thing though. As much of a shit that Avi Arad is... people DID WANT Venom.

There's an unholy trinitty of Spider-Man villains.

Green Goblin, Venom and Doctor Octopus.

Green Goblin is Lex Luthor and the Joker rolled into one at his best. Venom at his best is basically Spidey's Two-face. And Doc Ock is...a fatty.

NOBODY wanted Sandman in that film.

Regardless, Sandman was done well, Venom wasn't

Pretty much all the hate for the movie comes from how shitty he did Venom, let's face it the rest of the movie is just as hammy and campy as the other two, if there was no Venom, there would be no backlash

That isn't to say Raimi still isn't a turd, but that's a fact. Hell, Sandman was probably the most comic accurate he ever got anything, as much as people jerk off his Doctor Octopus, other than being a physically/visually good casting, storywise he totally fucked up the character

Oh man Somebody else who didn't care for his Doc Ock?

Pretty much the only thing I liked was the actor's portrayal and the robot tentacles.

Willem Dafoe on the other hand made Spiderman 1 watchable. Too bad about the costume.

You notice that old superhero movies had a larger focus on the villains but ever since Iron Man happened they are treated pretty much like an afterthought?

His Ock sucked, it had some redeeming things about it like casting and visuals, but overall, garbage....Doc is not a sympathetic villain nor does he need to be

>You notice that old superhero movies had a larger focus on the villains but ever since Iron Man happened they are treated pretty much like an afterthought?
Many problems with the MCU can be attributed to the success of Iron Man, they've become complacent and feel safe reusing the same formulas over and over

The funny thing is, Raimi's Doc Ock is pretty Venom when you think about it.

A sympathetic Villain who's life went to absolute shit and an evil force becomes attached to him and convinces him in his weakened state to start doing bad things.

And yet, Raimi said he didn't like Venom.

Venom has a reputation of being a brain eating psycho who hates Spider-man. Few people were ever willing to explore the tragedy of Eddie Brock and the symbiote. It's why Gargan Venom happened.

>He had more personality than Sandman ever did in the comics.
He really, REALLY didn't.

Your dad isn't wrong.

Giving him a shark mouth and snake tongue possibly didn't help.

I kinda wish we'd go back to the original Venom design.

Venom has some parallels with what happened to Deadpool after Deadpool and Cable was finished.

I think the problem was that both characters were written consistently by one writer for a long time and then when other comic writers got their hands on them, only focused on superficial details (i.e. brain eating and "wacky fourth wall breaking)

It doesn't help that a lot of comic book people these days are just fans for early stuff. lunatics running the asylum.

I'm curious what will happen 10 or 20 years from now when the people who write and draw comics for DC/Marvel will mostly be our generation.

People who hate Venom = squares hating the cool kids

Same as Cyclops fans who hate Wolverine, ....whoever it is who hates the Punisher, etc

This

I don't understand how the guy who did evil dead can hate venom. Just do what you did with deadite Ash in Evil dead 2

>unironically using kino
What are you, some sort of faggot?

See And Raimi is a "nyuck nyuck" guy, and probably never even read enough of any comic to know what Venom is about, to him it's just edgy serious crap, unlike his funnybooks of old