Can we all at least agree that this was the best episode of s3 and possibly the best episode of the series?

Can we all at least agree that this was the best episode of s3 and possibly the best episode of the series?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InverseLawOfSharpnessAndAccuracy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, not even close.

Wasn't there a comic where Sokka got btfo by Zuko in a sword fight? I recall hating that.

Hell no.

>I recall hating that
Why? Sokka had a sword for all of 2 seconds.

....why? One has years of training, the other has a weekend.

What's better then?

eh i'm with you guys, but sokka's the kind of guy who should be able to unpredictability his way out of any situation. he could never BEAT zuko but i have to imagine he'd avoid getting BTFO by being way too tricky and nonstandard

He's never done that in a direct 1v1 fight. Stop being a tard.

Sokka needs to actually have something to abuse, there was virtually no environment factor in that fight, it was sword vs sword only (so no boomerang shenanigans) and he didn't have proper time to prepare

And when it comes to sheer swordfighting techniques and skill, Zuko is simply the more experienced combatant given he had the opportunity to train half his life and take lessons from masters during that entire period while Sokka was busy trying not to starve and got a master's help for only a week in total.

That's not the beach episode.

Best episode is Crossroads of Destiny. I thought we all agreed on this.

You might have a point there.

>Can we all at least agree that
No. And for future reference the answer will always be no.
Now stop making threads with this header.

Man space sword looks really short in an adult's hands

Sokka isn't a bender. He is like Rock Lee.

I disliked a lot how Sokka was praised for goofing off during most of his training while later he is told that he is going to become the greatest swordsman in history:

>shoving his face with paint when he is supposed to be practicing calligraphy
>painting a rainbow when he is supposed to be training his memory
>getting comfortable and building a lawn chair when he is supposed to be studying his surroundings.

Not to mention that he only trained with Piandao for a day, the whole thing just reeks of "you are more special than anyone because you are a main character"

All the shit he does makes perfect sense in the context of the episode though.
The whole point was that Sokka isn't your run-of-the-mill swordsman, he's inventive and uses the environment to his advantage.
Sokka subverts all the challenges.
The calligraphy test is about leaving your mark. There's nothing distinctive about having perfect handwriting like everyone else so he does something that stands out.
He sucks at art so he gets creative with the painting test and creates an idealized version, rather than attempting to copy the landscape.
The landscaping test reinforced Sokka's knack for using what in the immediate vicinity to benefit him.
These three points culminate in the Space Sword. It's distinctive like his calligraphy because it stands out and isn't like any other sword. It's idealized like his painting because it cuts through pretty much everything. It's opportunistic like he was in the landscaping test because it takes advantage of the meteorite that was in the area.

It's a pretty good summation of his strengths really.

That's what the writers wanted to show, yes.
Other user is saying they did a poor job. (Of course, other user is doing a poor job of saying that, but then he isn't getting paid for it... I think.)

Yes, even though it's full of shitty writing too.
The whole show is, yet it's still amazing.

No, "The Southern Raiders" is the best episode of both.

Why is Azula so cute?

You mean the episode in which neither Katara nor Zuko ever apologize for being absolute dicks (to Sokka and Aang, respectively)?
I think it's a great episode, but come on, user.

Because she's a girl drawn by Gurihiru.
Cute is their speciality.

Best episode overall is Lake Laogai.

Best episode of S3... not sure actually. I really liked the Runaway.

Zuko wasn't even lecturing her on firebending

No. It's not even close.

I've never seen anything so smug as Azula in that last panel

>Ozai in charge of auditory comprehension

>Ozai
Was it autism?

does this look like a reasonable man to you?

Every firelord was crazier than the last, until Zuko stole the throne from the craziest of them all

Lake Laogai would have been best episode if not for the whole Jet thing. Seriously, why'd they have to kill him off at all? I still hate the episode for that.

Killing him wasn't the problem, it was doing it in such an unclear way that they made fun of it in the glorified clip show episode.

Killing Jet was part of what made it so good.
Also, Iroh letting Zuko know what a fucking idiot he is.

Are you sure?

>Toph can sense lies
>Jet tells his gang he's going to be fine
>Toph tells Sokka that Jet is lying

Context clues are all there, there really isn't any excuse to be confused over Jet's death.

>Make a sword
>Oh wait this is still a kids show so we can't actually use it

Killing off a major character for no real reason other than to help ensure Kataang, of course is good writing to you anons?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InverseLawOfSharpnessAndAccuracy

I wouldn't have minded if it had been just Zuko and Azula doing that.

But instead we had to spend two minutes of Mai and Ty Lee whining about their rich people problems

>ensure Kataang
Jet was killed for the sake of drama, Jetara died in the episode it started

>Jet
>major character
Dude was in 3-4 episodes, he served his narrative purpose, killing him off like that showed he was no longer the douche he began as.
Your shipping bullshit is not relevant to this.

>but you're the smartest, prettiest, most perfect girl in the whole world
what did she mean by this?

>what did she mean by this?
Please don't rape me tonight and set my bedroom on fire. I'll be nice to you.

so the same meaning as 90% of everything Ty Lee says and does

>lets give Sokka a sword in a kid's show where we're not allowed to cut people.

What were they thinking? Fuck, the boomerang was more effective.

>Jet was killed for the sake of drama, Jetara died in the episode it started
That's not what some of the Ehasz anons claim.

Zuko had swords and he got to do some cool stuff with that.

Ehaszfags are deluded.
The guy was important, yes, but it's not like he's the reincarnation of Shakespeare, responsible for everything good on ATLA.

What do they claim? That Katara was going to have onscreen make-up sex with Jet and then hook up with Zuko with no source whatsoever?

Zuko v Jet was one of the best fights on the show.

Sokka actually used it quite a bit in the invasion, and Piandao used his in Sozin's Comet as well. You know swords don't just cut humans, right?

Sokka had perfect aim in the entire series, he never missed once

not true, he threw his boomerang at Azula in 'The Chase' and she deflected it with a fireball

The claim here is that Bryke saw Jetara as a threat, and originally wanted Jet to never break free of his brainwashing and be put out of his misery out of mercy, but S&P said no

deflected, as in not his fault or bad aim

Who had better aim, him or Mai?

Well whatever the reason, Jet dying where he did was the best thing for the story.
S2 is the dark, middle section of the trilogy. It's where the heroes face their lowest point, deaths of good supporting characters are to be expected there. That's some basic storytelling shit, I think that's more likely the reason that shipping drama shit.

Mai never hit anyone.

So people speaking out of their asses? Nice to know.

I hate it for different reasons, though:
1. Jet was the only character who had a "normal" death in the show, which felt kind of unfair. Yue became a spirit, Zhao was taken under by another spirit, and Combustion Man blew himself up with his own special power.
2. I REALLY hate how the story has Iroh sitting with Zuko and Jet on the ferry and talking about second chances, and just a few episodes later, we find out Jet never really got a second chance - but Zuko later gets a THIRD one!

for much the same reason Sokka never cut anyone with the sword.

as soon as she chose to use knives her odds of actually hitting anyone became zero

Ty Lee has much better accuracy because poking people is always acceptable to show

Mai pinned people's clothing, rendering them unable to move. It proved very effective against Katara in The Chase, for example. Just ignore how unrealistic that is, of course...

>pining people's clothes to steel walls when the victims aren't even close to the walls
>nobody just move around and use the knives to tear the clothes
I always hated the way her fighting style was presented

>1.
Meh. Seems like a personal thing to be honest. I don't really see it as any different to Zhao's or SSBM's. Plus, he died with his friends there.

>2.
Never really thought about it like that. I'd read that situation and say he does take his second chance to redeem himself. He dies selflessly and as a hero, but I can see where you're coming from with that one.

Toph feet

I'm struggling to think of a better way of having a ranged non-bender who doesn't fight like that though

Blunt projectiles? Like say marbles or something

Aang would like that, methinks...

Aang looks really tall in there

Mai's fighting style was really inappropriate for the show. Ty Lee's chi-blocking was absolute genius, it was born from the same martial art origins that the show was steeped in, it was a realistic threat to benders which made it interesting from an action, drama and lore aspect and it foreshadowed the stuff about chakras later on in the season. And its visually non violent so it can be used to its full extent on Nickelodeon.
It's almost as completely perfect in its conception as bending itself, it works on every possible level.

And then Mai throws knives, except she can't actually hit anyone because that would draw blood.

That's it, that's as deep as Mai's fighting style goes. I don't know what else they could have come up with that fits the setting as well as Ty-Lee's chiblocking but throwing knives sure ain't it.

>Air acolytes

I can't believe those larping faggots got a council seat. user was right and wholly justified in all his actions. Bending untermensch must be exterminated.

This is my first time here. Why do you guys talk about Avatar on a comics forum?

are air acolytes the weeaboos of rthe avatar universe?

>Ty Lee's chi-blocking was absolute genius
Indeed, I just wish a more appropiate character used the ability than a ditzy teenage circus girl that fights in a war while showing off her midriff.

Yeah, but in a world where all Japs except one are dead

It's not easy, there aren't a lot of options.
Explosives can be made fairly non-lethal in cartoons but still pose a threat but they'd already introduced one of the Rough Rhinos as an explosives guy by that point.

Autistic confession time

Back when I was planning on running an ATLA quest on /tg/ one of my ideas was a metal bender who worr big, heavy rings. She could use them as knuckle dusters for CQC and reshaped them and launch them as projectiles for ranged attacks.

user, you gay.

Except metalbending basically didn't exist in ATLA.

Well, not strictly ATLA then. The setting was in the years between Aang's death and Korra arriving in Republic City.

You realize this "war" involves a group of preteens and teenagers and many of them girls literally saving the world, right? It's not exactly supposed to be realistic.

I meant that they couldn't really have used this idea in the show, even if the writers had thought of it.

How about throwing marbles that can be filled with different chemicals for a variety of effects?
Mini explosives
Smoke bombs
Ink bombs
Stink bombs
Poison pellets that she throws down your throat

I'm pretty sure the bombs idea was used several times, most notably in The Northern Air Temple.

Oh, well that's absolutely true.
That further demonstrates the first point though. That really isn't a whole lot you can do with medieval ranged attacks to make them non-deadly.

Future cartoonists are gonna be fucked when the world learns that laser guns don't just leave a bruise.

Yeah but these are smaller bombs that would be innocuous and identical so you wouldn't be sure which one she was throwing until it was too late

And sometimes she's just throwing marbles with excellent accuracy to knock out grown men or make them trip.

I wouldn't mind if there were a reasonable explanation like there was for Toph's powers, Azula's or even Suki's.

But Ty Lee is just a random rich girl that happened to be Azula's school friend, and for some reason she is the only master of the perfect technique to take down benders and can defeat a squad of Ba Sing Se's most elite soldiers by herself.

It's the same stupidity that later allowed Asami to take down trained terrorists just because "I was in self defense classes, lol"

My issue with that would be that it's super gimmicky. Probably more usable that ninja stars but a bit goofy.

Goofiness is at the heart of ATLA though

There's a teenage acrobat girl who takes down grown soldiers with pokes

He'd be more like Shikimaru

You're not wrong. I guess it all depends on how they'd use it. ATLA is goofy but Mai isn't, they'd have to find a balance with it that seems in character for her.

There really isn't a lot you can do with ANY attacks to make them non-deadly. That's the whole point of "attacks" - in a war, you generally fight to kill. Don't want to terrify the little kiddies though, now do we?

It's certainly one of the best standalone episodes. I really like how it focused on both Sokka's strengths and weaknesses. It showed his inexperience in a legitimate fight with a skilled adversary, yet also his ingenuity and indominatable will.

This. Too much verbal whining for my taste.

Also, I need to go rewatch the first Futurama run.

Fire Nation is supposed to be Japan, right? With Earth Kingdom as China, Water Tribes as Polynesians, and air nomads being monks.

I can't tell if I Gurihiru's Toph makes me want to fuck her more or if I've just forgotten from not watching the show in years.

Everyone is extra cute in Gurihiru art