MARVEL Says: No More Major Events For ‘At Least’ 18 Months After SECRET EMPIRE

Marvel Vice President of Sales and Marketing David Gabriel’s recent retailer presentation and subsequent interview with ICv2 have been unpacked in great detail by various outlets over his comments on sales and diversity, but gone mostly unoticed in the interview is his assertion that, following the upcoming Secret Empire which is scheduled to end in August 2017, Marvel would be putting to bed what he calls "big crossover events" for "at least 18 months."

"Hopefully, you guys will be happy to know that at the end of Secret Empire, we do not have any big crossover event scheduled," Gabriel said during the retailer presentation. "We haven't even talked about one for 18 months, at the very least. Those will be away for quite a while."

From context, it seems Gabriel is referring to universe-wide events such as Secret Empire, Civil War II, and Secret Wars. According to the transcript, Gabriel clarified that smaller crossovers would still happen - and could likely be referred to as "events" - in the absence of better terms for marketing.

newsarama.com/33886-marvel-says-no-more-major-events-for-at-least-18-months-after-secret-empire.html

That's how I grew up reading comic books. The only event i remember from my childhood was CoIE. Books were mostly self-contained. Good times.

Cool. Still not picking up anything outside of Nova and Ewing until you've proved you've actually improved, Marvel.

Stop pandering to groups who dont buy comics and stop doing fucking dumb tie ins that every writer has to phone in to.

Only read Old Man Logan now, all my other comics are DC. Marvel have had enough chances desu senpai.

I will put down money that they'll do a major event within 18 months.

Don't they already have Infinity War scheduled right after?

>Civil War II and Secret Empire backlash will prevent us getting an actually good Eternity War event under Ewing
Sasuga Marvel

You mean the movie?

Eternity War. Derp

Why did you use that Pic OP? That's not how the company is called. Are you trying to make a joke?
>tfw DCcucks are so balls deep into sad that cant make good jokes anymore

Eternity War will probably only be a smaller crossover that only touches on the cosmic books

>thinking Ewing would get a major cross over
At best it will be something he does on his own between the books he writes.

Oh thank god. It's seriously my major problem with current Marvel, I'm so sick of the endless events that constantly derail books.

Still fucking mad Ultimates was derailed by Civil War II.

>yfw sales get worse than ever

Nice start. Now get better writers and leave them alone.

>leave them alone.
that's part of the problem, though. Their editors don't do their jobs

>>Fans celebrate no more events.
>>Their SJW books get canceled at the same rate.
>>"B-b-but we only stopped reading cause events interrupted our stories!"

I'll believe this when I see it.

Thank fucking god.

Jokes on you, Ewing's Eternity War was going to be the next event. Now that's not happening thanks to event fatigue.

you mean get editors to do their fucking jobs

GEE! I WONDER WHERE I HEARD THIS BEFORE?!

Books are going to slide into cancellation zone no matter what. Heroic Age was supposed to be the end of events, but one year later, BAM, Fear Itself happened. What was just a Thor and Captain America crossover became a 7 month event. Brevoort even said that they wouldn't go back to the Heroic Age model cause sales got that bad so quickly.

So yeah, I expect the same thing to happen again. Especially if Bendis leads everything.

>THOR'S DEAD
>BUCKY'S DEAD
>come back literally the month after the event ends

That is cute. Marvel have an addiction to big events. You can't just not have one. Marvel will cave and host another big event.

>Heroic Age was supposed to be the end of events
it was suposed to be a year free of event witch it was

Unless they completely replace the editorial staff and the majority of creators nothing will improve.

Every statement in the last few days has been an attempt to draw attention away from this fact.

Except that it would have lasted longer if they didn't scramble to turn Fear Itself into a line wide event. Brevoort even said they wouldn't go back to the Heroic Age cause it flopped so bad.

>>No Major Event
>>Biggest MCU film is next year.
I very much doubt that. They'll go all Thanos out.

>Hopefully, you guys will be happy to know that (...) we do not have any big crossover event scheduled
>We have no plans at all! Isn't that great? Aren't you relieved?
Cynicism aside, this is decent news. I'm just hoping they don't relaunch all their shit regardless - or do 4 more smaller events instead...
You know what, let's not leave cynicism aside.
They're probably still doing an X-event, a Spider-Event, an Avengers event, Inhumans vs Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.
All mandated by editorial so writers still can't get their own stories going. Then it's all followed by a relaunch after 12 issues.
Yeah, there's still a way to be just as terrible as they used to be.
And here I was worried for a second, I could get my hopes up.

and yet here we are again "no more events for 18 months" aleast this time they didnt use a name for it

Why is Sinestro a woman?

These 18 months will just be low sales all around cause these current writers are retarded.

Marvel is the joke but you're right, it's not fun anymore

Now that I'm thinking about this. Who at Marvel can even write their own fucking story for 18 issues anymore?
Most people just seemed to waste time inbetween events of late to be honest.

E W I N G

Huh? Ultimates just got done being dragged into CWII and now they're in Secret Empire.

kamala actulay lose readers becuase of her shity cw tie in

>Ongoing storyline
>Event
>Relaunch
>Rinse & Repeat

Hope this doesn't hinder what Ewing was building up to with Ultimates and New Avengers.

Ultimates was barely involved with CW2 beyond CW2 bringing Thanos to Earth, it was still following its own plot, and it continues to follow that plot in Ultimates^2, with the same characters and premise

New Avengers again barely interacted with CW2 beyond a tiny nod, then became USAvengers which is following the same general plot, again with the same characters and premise

>Who at Marvel can even write their own fucking story for 18 issues anymore?
Kate Leth Hellcat ends at issue 18.

Bullshit. I give it six weeks.

Sorry, that's a typo. They meant to say "at least 18 minutes."

That's Soranik Natu, Sinestro's daughter.

Or 3 months later starts a build up towards that event across every title without actually requiring you to read different books from that series.

Bendis will have to write proper stories.

But there will be no Wanda.

That would be good news, if it weren't so fucking ridiculously hard to believe.

I give it half a year max.

They should do what DC is doing right now and just have the event be within like 2 or 3 books.

Like the Cosmic books having their own thing would be pretty cool.

That's probably what it's going to end up being now that they're on a "no line-wide event" kick. Probably between Royals, Ultimates, and USAvengers/whatever replaces USAvengers and some bookends.

Ewing is going to be writing three Cosmic books (Royals, Ultimates, and Rocket) so they should definitely do it.

They probably wouldn't include Nova because Duggan is already shoving his Nova OCs on GotG and the Editor in charge of the Marvel Cosmic line isn't editing for Nova (I think the Spider-Man Editor is).

Hahahahaha...

I'M NOT BUYING IT, SORRY.

>Marvel actually doing something smart

I'm legit impressed

He never said no events, just "major".

Admittedly a small step in the right direction, it still amounts to jack shit since we still have the same writers and same nonexistent editors. It's going to take time to regain reader faith, and Marvel doesn't have that kind of patience. They expect a complete 180 in sales from this, it isn't going to happen because most of the alienated audience will wait to be proven wrong, and then we'll be back at the same shit as before within a year. Get rid of everyone, especially Bendis and Slott

>waid-spencer