Why is All-Star Superman praised to high heaven? I just finished it and it was very lackluster...

Why is All-Star Superman praised to high heaven? I just finished it and it was very lackluster. It seemed way too rushed, it should of taken place in it at least 20 issues.

It had good parts, the feels of
zibarro and then the superbot guarding the fortress alone

and funny parts bizarro Batman being shot by his parents

But as a whole it seemed sloppy and messy and only good on paper

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>and only good on paper

It's a comic though. It's already meant to be on paper.

fuck

Morrison is the Nolan of comics
make things for stupid people to feel smart

Raus.

you're going to have to post a better critique than this to get a response to something as highly praised as allstar

I don't know what to tell you. You didn't like one of the most acclaimed comics of all time. If you didn't get the appeal no one is going to be able to explain it to you.

No, you need to give me examples of "rushed" pacing, because to me the pacing is amazing.

Nolan is an objectively technically excellent filmmaker tho.

I love the book, but it is a little bit disconnected at times, Morrison tried to cram too much silver-age stuff and different ideas into one 12 issue series.

But thats really the only gripe I have about it... its a wonderful read as long as you aren't a comics newbie

>opinions
Just because you didnt appreciate it doesnt mean its bad.

>it should of taken place in it at least 20 issues.
Sounds like you missed a lot of the visual symbolism in it and stuff...

Will it ever be finished?
Will they ever elaborate on why Batman has become homicidal?

Do they have to?
Batman only doesn't kill because of inertia from CCA times.
It doesn't need to be a part of his character.

It's simply a good distillation of everything that makes superman good. If you like Superman you'll like it. If you don't you might see why others like him, but not necessarily like him now.

Morrison is the Steve Jobs of comics.

He sells products based on his own ability to manipulate how people perceive him and his products, not based on the quality of the product itself.

He's a better marketer than he is a creator.

I like ASS *and* MoS.

this is a shit take

They're both imaginary stories. Aren't they all?

nah
In fact, excels at something most comic writers fuck up- he almost always sticks the landing.

>It is an "user doesn't understand Morrison" thread

I bet you're an Ewing fan. He attracts the likes of you.

These are one of those questions where no one can tell you anything that'll change your mind since everything you said was vague enough that the most anyone can say is "no I disagree."

Basically, this is bait.

this
/thread

Black K Superman has gone in half an issue

That Krptonian couple had should have been around longer

Zibarro was the most the interesting part of the story and he got like half an issue

The story was good overall but it was cut so short it's hard not noice

Also there wasn't enough build up to Supes getting sick it. Like 3 pages in it was like "hey Superman bad news.... you're gonna die" "fuck"

dumb phoneposter

the this thread is a bust thread

Frank Quitely draws people like they have down's syndrome and everyone is too nice to say mean things about it. So they pretend to like it instead.

you probably don't like moebius either

His people are hideous, but he's a master at pretty much everything else.

And then he tries to shoot an action or fighting scene, or a car chase. And then he goes ahead and breaks the 180° rule, the absolute madman. And then you hear his dialogue...
I love his batman trilogy and a few of his other movies, I think his focus on the bigger picture does deliver some decent filmmaking, but he's sloppy as fuck.

this

>pretend to like it
This is a bait phrase 100% of the time.

>And then he tries to shoot an action or fighting scene, or a car chase.
And they are fine/good?

>180 "rule"

>muh wide shots
I liked them better when Bryan Hitch did them tbqh.

I want Sup Forums to leave.

No, they're a mess, you have people dropping out of frame, exploding cars getting their wheels back, punches not connecting, etc. They're not fine. The fight choreography is also gross in all three of the batman movies.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

No you didn't. Hitch's composition is much less interesting than Quitely's.

Next time you criticize a work of writing, remember that "should've" is a contraction of "should have".

"Should of" makes you sound like an idiot.

>No, they're a mess
Nope.
All those things can happen, and a fight scene can still be good if it doesn't take you out of it.

None of those "problems" bug me at all, so he's doing his job well.

Sure thing, buddy.

?
What does this prove, in your mind?

Nope because Morrison can do straight blockbusters in his sleep and has said more in single issues than Nolan has in his entire career.

perfect

>All those things can happen, and a fight scene can still be good if it doesn't take you out of it.
Batman spinning around in his fight against bane is another good example. That entire fight was hilarious to look at in detail.
But then, like I already stated, you horrid little fanboy, once you have them as part of a bigger deal they're not that important, and the point comes across. He's a talented guy without much attention to detail..
Inception had some amazing mix of practical and CGI, but it all got drowned in blank slate characters and underwhelming action. Interstellar actually managed to push science forward and pose some interesting concepts, but then killed it with the power of love.

>hilarious
Dropped. Any variation of calling something in a competent filmmaker's movie "laughable" always strikes me as pathetic.
I can't take you seriously anymore.

The quality of his Hitch's compositions. I think we're done here, you're in full irrational fanboy mode and I have threads to tend to.

>The quality of his Hitch's compositions.
Quality=/=higher quality than something else.
Don't play dumb just to try to "win" an argument m8.

There's no need to be upset.

>what is sound
and now we're back to
>All those things can happen, and a fight scene can still be good if it doesn't take you out of it.
>None of those "problems" bug me at all, so he's doing his job well.

Got anything else?

Comparisons like this are how stupid people who don't actually view the media they like to shit on feel superior
Also

>arguing semantics
Considering you claimed Quitely does composition better than Hitch, I assumed some comparisons were due.

Okay your last one was pretty good but this looks like garbo.
and again,
>Quality=/=higher quality than something else.

Fuck off. Stories don't need to be multiple issues long for the fuck of it or so you can feel """"satisfied"""". Decompression is a cancer to the industry. Go read Bendis if you want 6 issues on how a side character solves a situation where the hero goes bad.

Not him, but I'm game to have this argument.

>I have never read a comic from before 1986

>what is sound
You can't fix bad choreography with sound, champ. And that's an excellent point, sound.
They had to ADR all of Bane's dialogue because it didn't occur to Chris that people needed to understand what he was saying.
Tom Hardy just went to town with it, recording some of the goofiest sounding voice acting in ages. Shit was straight out of a G.I.Joe cartoon.

flawless victory

>that people needed to understand what he was saying.
I understood every line he said.
Did you not?

Whut, Batman attacks Dick because he thinks Dick's gonna kill Hal.

I don't think Batman was ever explicitly homicidal. I think the implication was that he was more reckless and irresponsible to the point of not worrying if people indirectly die because of his actions. The whole point of Dick almost killing Green Lantern was to show that yes, Batman being shitty was entirely intentional. ASBAR was supposed to be the story of Batman learning to cool his jets and become the calm, methodical mastermind we know and love by means of raising Robin.

People just freaked out because it gave Batman flaws that they weren't used to, and Miller's dialogue was a bit cheesy. Once you look at the story in the larger context of what Miller was intending, it comes off as a lot better.

Eh, his Stormwatch and Authority is pretty great.

lmao

Scott Snyder is the Nolan of comics, exposition all spelled out, interesting set pieces used to poor effect, no real depth.

OP has no idea what he's talking about. Stick with the new "All Star Batman."

Stretching it a bit, OP might have meant it as an idiom, as in "it sounds good as a plan, but doesn't quite work the same in execution".

But yes, it's funny when it's about printed media.

>Liked the Bizzaro World part
Well OP, at least your taste isn't complete garbage. Good on you. Zibarro was one of the stronger parts of the series, and I liked some of the humorous Bizarro World irony too.
Shame it was trimmed out of the animated version.

>hur dur hur dur
Wow user.... such an amazing dislpay

Interesting but sloppy.

>CGI traced page wasting crap
I like hitch but you are killing yourself with post 2005 stuff.

I think you might be suffering from ADHD, they had to re-record every one of Bane's lines because nobody could understand what he was saying during early screenings.

This was my problem with it, and though I'm still in the middle of Morrison's run of Action Comics I'm seeing similar issues.

Morrison likes to pay homage to a characters entire legacy, and tries to incorporate everything in at once. While this can make for a comic that really nails the fundamentals of the character and can hit well on an emotional level it makes his stories often hard to follow, often jumping between radically different ideas without much effort to weave them in naturally or before one feels properly developed. Basically, it feels like his comics just hop between new plots and scenes instead of flowing from one to the other.

His comics are still good, great even, but I can't really call them my favorite for that reason.

You posted a much busier set of pages that took 4 pages to.do what Quietly did in a spread. Taste is subjective but your arguments are not.

wasnt the argument interesting? not like detailed this page is a sea of detailed boredom,the We3 pages moves your eye all over forcing you to focus and refocus, it's much more interesting composition

>CGI traced
Getting desperate tbqh.

>ADHD makes you better at understanding things most people can't
What?

Well, there's clearly something wrong with you, let's leave it at that. Also you heard the theatrical version after they re-recorded all the dialogue. I'm done repeating myself.

What's the point of all the extra quotation marks?

Are we implying that this proves shit?
Also, this is still a complete waste of two pages. Partially Bendis' fault but still. Hitch could have used half a page to accomplish this during his Wildstorm tenure.

>the We3 pages moves your eye all over forcing you to focus and refocus
That's not a good thing, really. The wide shots are a stylistic choice in The Ultimates, to make it feel more cinematic. That mess of squares probably sounded like a good idea in his head but it doesn't make the action flow forward.

>defending the choreography in TDKR

You're embarrassing yourself. You were better off quitting the thread two posts earlier.

>That's not a good thing, really.
>That mess of squares probably sounded like a good idea in his head but it doesn't make the action flow forward.
Wow, I disagree. I followed the page easily and enjoyed the unorthodox nature of it.

I'm not even that guy, I just saw that completely retarded statement and had to comment. Also who gives a fuck if they had to fix Bane's voice for release? You're literally acknowledging that it is intelligible. You might as well complain that CGI looks bad before it gets finished.

>Are we implying that this proves shit?
It sort of does, unless you can produce the CGI this was traced from. Otherwise it's just a knee-jerk reaction.

>>ADHD makes you better at understanding things most people can't
Reminder that you insinuated this.

>Also who gives a fuck if they had to fix Bane's voice for release? You're literally acknowledging that it is intelligible. You might as well complain that CGI looks bad before it gets finished.
It was intelligible after they re-recorded it. At no point during production did it occur to anyone that it needed to be.
You're impossibly retarded and pretending to be different people isn't helping your case.

Just pointed out a retarded statement, I fucking hated that movie and how obsessed you faggots are with it. Shockingly there are more than two people on this board. Go back to your own board, this is a comics thread.

Thats an industry standard splash page.

This is pretty much my thoughts but articulated much better

That's a different person, but that was never insinuated. You just have some reading comprehension problems you need to go through.
I think at this point you're just trying to make a mess out of the discussion to save face.

Mate, your original point was that people couldn't understand the theater version of the voice.

If you don't watch movies, sure.

>at no point during production
Are you implying test screenings aren't a part of production? And you're calling me retarded?

>I think at this point you're just trying to make a mess out of the discussion to save face.
This is what we call projecting.
And you did indeed insinuate that. It's plain as day.

Visual composition involves more than the arrangement of the panels.
No, you need to go back and re-read those posts. People couldn't understand what he said during early screenings, so they had to go back and re-record his voice.
This is the third time you have been told this.

I watch movies though.

Nolan is overrated shit

Yep, you lost the argument and are now trying to muddle up the discussion to pretend you didn't. Go take your ritalin.

>people couldn't understand what he said during early screenings, so they had to go back and re-record his voice.
Then what was the point of mentioning here
>>what is sound
>You can't fix bad choreography with sound, champ. And that's an excellent point, sound.
>They had to ADR all of Bane's dialogue because it didn't occur to Chris that people needed to understand what he was saying.
>Tom Hardy just went to town with it, recording some of the goofiest sounding voice acting in ages. Shit was straight out of a G.I.Joe cartoon.
When it was unrelated to the argument?

>Are you implying test screenings aren't a part of production?
No they fucking aren't, you violently retarded cockstain. They're screenings.

?
Doing a "i'm going to say what i'm doing but accuse the other guy of it" is the oldest trick in the book.

I know you're just going to keep pretending you "won", and that's okay I guess. Just know that whatever you post next, I saw right through you.

Source?

That you have a learning disability, probably. Let's go at it a fourth time for the rabid mongoloid:
>Nobody could understand Bane's dialogue during test screenings
>Nolan had to go back and re-record all the dialogue with Tom Hardy
>He hammed it up to 11 and recorded some goofy stuff that made me laugh
Am I being trolled? What has to be the matter with you?

They're screenings that exist specifically so they can fix things if they need to, like they did in this situation. They are explicitly one of the last stages of production.