Andrei Rublev

Discuss...

best tarkovsky
also bump

>yfw the Mongols come

I prefer capeshit.

Great movie but it would have been better in color.

I am discussing.

that's zerkalo
rublev is second best

discussion

Didn't get it

Got it

Best movie I've ever seen. I was nearly moved to tears by the end.

Absolute kino.

Snyder>Tarkovsky

same rt score as Marvel's Agents of Shield

The pagans running naked through the woods was pretty striking.
I really like the actor of Andrei; it's a shame he died young.

nobody's fucking discussing

I am discussing.

What's there to discuss? It's pretty straightforward.
One can argue about the nature of disagreement between Andrei and Theophanes, but Sup Forums is not a place to do it.

>never seen a tarkovsky film
where start

discussion discussion

discus

I think you should watch in release order; that's what I did anyway.
Ivan's Childhood seems like his most accessible film, and is also a good bit shorter than others.

pk thanks user

>At the moment, I don't think colour film is anything more than a commercial gimmick. I don't know a single film that uses colour well. In any colour film the graphics impinge on one's perception of the events. In everyday life we seldom pay any special attention to colour. When we watch something going on we don't notice colour. A black-and-white film immediately creates the impression that your attention is concentrated on what is most important. On the screen colour imposes itself on you, whereas in real life that only happens at odd moments, so it's not right for the audience to be constantly aware of colour. Isolated details can be in colour if that is what corresponds to the state of the character on the screen. In real life the line that separates unawareness of colour from the moment when you start to notice it is quite imperceptible. Our unbroken, evenly paced flow of attention will suddenly be concentrated on some specific detail. A similar effect is achieved in a film when coloured shots are inserted into black-and-white.
>Colour film as a concept uses the aesthetic principles of painting, or colour photography. As soon as you have a coloured picture in the frame it becomes a moving painting. It's all too beautiful, and unlike life. What you see in cinema is a coloured, painted plane, a composition on a plane. In a black-and-white film there is no feeling of something extraneous going on, the audience can watch the film without being distracted from the action by colour. From the moment it was born, cinema has been developing not according to its vocation, but according to purely commercial ideas. That started when they began making endless film versions of classics.

actually makes sense desu
Probably no scene could have been really improved with color

I must admit that I viscerally hated Tarkovsky's "Nostalgia" and completely hated the use of Beethoven in it. I've seen it only once, but none of the Tarkovsky films that I have seen did I think are really good.

Nostalgia is pretty good senpai, love the tracking shot in the hot spring.