How did they afford this place? They were all poor right?

How did they afford this place? They were all poor right?

Other urls found in this thread:

friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_Where_Nana_Dies_Twice
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rent control.

Rent control also
>Chandler makes a lot of money and rarely spends most off it
>Monica became a head chef
>Rachel became an executive at Ralph Lauren
>Joey is an actor and apparently makes pretty decently as long as he got work

Phoebe had her aunt or grandma with rent control. Ross and Monica were Jewish so they had something tucked away (it's in their culture) and Chandler had a decent paying job and funded Joey for much of the show.

All off them (Except Phoebe) got jobs that should pay above average

>head chef
So she makes 18 bucks an hour with no benefits for working 12 hour days six days a week?

>2 bedrooms
>1 bathroom
>1 living room
>kitchen isnt separated from the living room

oh yeah its new york

They had none of that in S1

Rent control, and Chandler had the same job nearly the entire show

Pretty good huh

The lease was in Monicas grandmothers name so the place was a "steal". They literally say so in the first or second episode.

(I don't know how that would make it a "steal" but that's what they said)

Why did they made such a fuss about switching apartments? They're about the same, only girl's is slightly bigger that they wouldn't really use.

Also they spend most of the time in girl's apartment, so nothing would really change other than hassle with moving.

there were a bunch of episodes about that. its the last thing chandler said on the show.

How was she ever home to even be on the show? And why wasn't she an alcoholic unstable slob like every chef I've ever known?

>a waitress can afford the same apartment as two physicists

What is "Rent control"?

Jewish tricks.

Roommates

landlord can only raise rent by certain % each year

it's a law

this doesn't make sense in terms of making it affordable for them

White privilege

Bings and Rachel parents were loaded.
Chandler had well paying job (until he turned into retard).
Only Joey and Pheobe ha dmoney problems.

Monica is Jewish and Chandler's job was insanely well paid

Rachel's parents cut her off when she dumped Barry

Rent control and room mates. the left one (I don't like Friends) looks pretty average for NYC actually, with roommates it's not that expensive to live in an apt like that. The right one, I can't figure out what the top room is, an office?

chandler made a lot of money at his job and paid for the rent after joey left the soap opera
monica's apartment was rent controlled from decades before they lived there apparently
the percentage adding up over time plus the original rent is much lower than the price of similar and available rental property in new york

Why is that room labelled with a question mark? Isn't that the place where Monica keeps all those misc stuff that would make the apartment messy?

it does if they have been living there for a long time. If new people were moving in, the landlords can charge market prices. I think.

Joey was making a lot of money when he was Dr. Drake. Chandler always had a steady income. By the time Joey had lost his job, Chandler was making a steady enough income to float the apartment himself.

Monica and Rachel could only afford their apartment because of the deal they were getting through the lease.

the other poster only gave you some of the relevant info
often rent control means that rents can be dramatically raised only after a change in tenant
monica surreptitiously took over the lease on her grandmother's apartment
monica was only subject to minimal raises year over year in rent b/c the landlord believed the grandmother still was the tenant

Friends is fucking kino lads I've been rewatching it lately and forgot how good it is, at least compared to the Chuck Lorre garbage that dominates the airwaves nowadays.

It has actual jokes with setup and comedic timing, a rarity nowadays when most humor simply boils down to pop culture references.

>Friends

More like Leeches

Did her grandmother own two appartments?

Anyway, it's clearer now. And yeah, they were only ever a little (barely) financially tight in the earlier seasons.

and basically supported Joey

Just one, the guys apartment was smaller with no view and Chandler's ridiculous salary would cover it

one early plot point revolved around the divinding line of Ross, Monica, and Chandler having money while Joey, Rachel and Pheobe did not

she dies in the first season
friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_Where_Nana_Dies_Twice

>chandlers ridiculous salary
he has never made more than an above average salary for NYC

Could this BE any more of a rent control thread?

>monica was only subject to minimal raises year over year in rent b/c the landlord believed the grandmother still was the tenant

Not him but isn't that pretty unrealistic? I mean, even by TV show standards. If I'm the landlord whose income is artificially capped by a government regulation, and the only way out is to prove the old tenant(s) are not living in the apartment anymore the least I can do is to regularly check it.

When he was threatening to quit his job they offered him an insane pay rise, it was so huge he couldn't turn it down

Lads the real reason is that filming on a tiny cramped set is a pain in the ass and looks terrible. It's the same reason every sitcom family have a huge-ass house even if they're supposed to be poor (looking at you Al Bundy)

It's a law for niggers and spics.

No such thing

>Not having 5 bathrooms
Plebs

>salty

Frasier has the most kino apartment desu

I only count 3.5.

no, it's real
and complicated
and if monica's grandma was living there continuously from '71 then maybe monica can take it over legitimately
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York

What kind of apartment design has the kitchen next to the front door. Is this an american thing because they cant stop eating?

>3.5
>.5

It's amazing to me how Americans fall for realtor propaganda, bootlicking the Capitalists for eternity

head chefs easily breaks 125-150k USD annually in Vancouver, probably more in Jew york

A price ceiling placed on rent, below the market equilibrium, which leads to a shortage in apartments and overall less economic efficiency.

Thanks for the link. I followed it's sources and found out that Monica (under certain circumstances) could have indeed taken over the rent-controlled apartment legitimately.

As I'm not up-to-date with every tiny details of Friends, I cannot tell whether those circumstances existed prior the beginning of the show. I think it's safe to assume they did.

the kind of apartment that wants proper plumbing? Notice how everything that needs a pipe is centered around the stairwell
not that i expect some shit-tier country with separate hot and cold water taps on opposite sides of the sink to understand proper plumbing

Unless there is a fire.
Can't pass through a kitchen to a fire exit here in the UK, unlike your shit-tier country

ok muhamad, is that because you have no sense of direction, or because you live in shittier commieblock council estates that burn you all alive when you riot from someone somewhere touching something near a koran with their left hand?

> bootlicking

Well at least we can have sweet apartments. All you tankies strive for is living in a fucking shanty town with your fellow "resistance" lmao

wait until you hear about 0.5 A presses

They're probably postdocs, which isn't exactly the most high-paid job.

theyre all white

most of them were jews

The fuck? Are you autismo?

The top weird white space is actually the roof of the apartment below they use as a balcony by crawling out a window in the top hallway.

It's a closet that they only open maybe once in the entire season, it's kind of a meme that it's a mystery spot as to what is actually inside.