Besides M. Night Shymalan, what big director fell the furthest?

Besides M. Night Shymalan, what big director fell the furthest?

George Lucas

Zack Snyder

He is actually on an upward trend again.
This is the correct answer

Split could be the rebound he needed

Josh Trank

Godard

Spielberg

francis ford coppolla

made godfather trilogy and apocalypse now....then makes about ten shit movies in the 80s...then gets jewed by Warner over Pinocchio project, sues WB and wins 60 mil. and is blackballed from hollywood.

He got jewed out of a few million on Contact by Sagans widow who waited until the Statute of limitations ran out and never honored the production deal from the 70s.

The lawsuits effectively blackballed him,

John Frankenheimer in the late 70:s,have you seen The Prophecy?

brian de palma

John McTiernan (Predator, Die hard, Hunt for Red October). Went to prison for lying to FBI, tried to wiretape a producer, declared bankruptcy. Shame he's done some great shit

I liked The Village. It was just a colorful version of 1,000 yards over the rim (Twilight Zone) with Joaquin. Normies destroyed it though because muh false advertising.

yup

I'm planning to, is it shit or what?

Neil Blomkamp

Scorcese

Nope

>muh false advertising
wut
the twist was called the second the first trailer dropped

He’s on an upward trend in the Weezer sense, in that he’s making films that aren’t abysmal again but they’re still just ok compared to his early work.

>The Outsiders
>Rumble Fish
>Peggy Sue Got Married

These are all excellent films.

Steven Spielberg

Such a shame he has had some turkeys of late, wondering if he will return and /or just produce.

The Matrix has to be one of the most overrated films ever made. These two nutjobs in my opinion have never made a good film.

>Paul: Admit it, Larry, I'm a more handsome man than you are.
>Larry: *raises fists* Just wait and see who gets the last laugh!

>L: See? Maybe as a woman I'm better looking than I was as a man.
>P: Hold my...
>L: ... and if I'm not being a woman still has tons of advantages!!!
>P: ... beer.

>P: Back to ground zero, motherfucker!

Tim Burton.
Except his talent just gradually faded away other than Shyamalan who apparently just quit after critics bashed his best movie Lady in the water.

yep. man what a mess that guy is in

How has nobody mentioned Michael Cimino? Got an oscar for Deer Hunter and followed that up by winning a razzie for Heaven's Gate, since cited as one of the worst movies ever made. His career never recovered. He also went through a physical transformation over the years, going from looking like John Lovitz to looking like Yoko Ono.

2 of which he was forced to make after his dream project film flopped so badly it cost the studio a fortune he had to pay back

I wish so much he'd taken all that Star Wars money to tackle another project like THX 1138. But apparently the prequels have drained all his artistic impetus.

Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints)

Some say Vincent Gallo, but maybe it's unfair for people who find success early.

Kevin Smith makes garbage now.

He also produces the movies of Victor Salva...

Yes. Though he's recovering.
No. The quality of his movies is directly disproportional to his influence on the screenplay. When kept in check, he's consistent, though one might argue, on a comparatively low level.
I guess.
200 years old man can't handle the digital, more on eleven.
Absolutely, his last couple of films were awful. He peaked with Munich.
I agree.
Haven't seen their latest films.
We're talking about artistic, not social merit.
Mental illness will do that to you. Also they've always been leeching off the Germans, World on a wire by Fassbender provided the basis for The Matrix and their new films are mostly ghost-directed by Tom Tykwer.
True, though he's always been a bit overrated.
Sure.

Boondock Saints always sucked though.

Tony Scott.

too soon user

He still does solid movies that are mostly succesfull.

His problem was that his films at one point all looked and sounded the same.

kevin smith always made garbage

WHAT

You take that back. Tusk was a masterpiece

The big fucking giant was the worst blunder of his career, bridge of spies was incredibly dull and ready player one is shaping up to be worse than either.

Thanks for your shit opinions. We’re all better off if you would kys as opposed to mass replying in the future.

is world on a wire worth watching?

also poor Tykwer. the guy has serious fucking talent and was blatantly obvious for rescuing cloud atlas from being jupiter ascending. but now he's tarred with the brush of cloud atlas (expensive as shit, critically iffy and financially shit) and sense8 (all-round fucking disaster) i doubt he'll be on any interesting projects for a while.

I've not seen more than trailers and random clips but the boondock saints looks like absolute fucking garbage. also the people who like it strike me as genuine retards.

There's no need to be upset.
Would you like to share some insights or otherwise contribute to the discussion?

I'd say it is, but you really feel the threeandahalf hour length. The plot moves at snail's pace and much of the film is spent with meandering shot-reverse-shot dialogue scenes, if you enjoy Tarkowsky, give it a watch. Also, I'd like to note that Fassbender apparently has a very specific taste in women, all of them have man-faces and man-voices, wouldn't have been too surprised if one of the female characters had suddenly pulled out a huge cock.

this is the best answer.
I think his spirit was broken.

while his movies are great that tax evasion was nutso.

Tykwer will be fine, he distanced himself from the Wachowski hijinks with that utterly conventional movie about Tom Hanks trying to sell VR glasses or something to rich arabs while wearing suits and sweating.

He was broken so badly the curse skipped a generation and his daughter continues to make awful movies as well.

Peter Jackson, from LOTR, to King Kong....to fucking The Lovely Bones. and then The Hobbit happened.

Yup, from god to laughing stock

John Hughes....not really a big director but he went from ferris, breakfast club, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, National Lampoon's Vacation..to a fucking flubber, home alone 3, ending his career with fucking Maid in Manhattan

LoTR was a rare exception to the auteur mode of cinema, it was lightning in a bottle with all the creatives involved working together perfectly. It can't be recreated.

King Kong was fine, but of course it doesn't hold up when compared to LoTR. And for the Hobbit the studion thought all it took to recreate LoTR was to throw millions of dollars an several bus loads of computers at Jackson. They never understood why the trilogy worked in such an amazing way.

Hey look, it's the worst tattoo in the histroy of the world.

The worst part is that being put on capeshit and Star Wars is a surefire way to blame the studio when things go wrong and take all the credit when things go right. You basically get to direct on autopilot because the ship is so tightly run by the producers. Yet he still blew it by being a coked out madman.

He's gonna make a superhero universe that will overthrow the MCU

Really weird transformation